Thread: Play EB with Alex engine

Default Play EB with Alex engine

Hello all,

I would like to play EB with Alex engine (if recommended). I know there are threads here on that topic, but they seem to be old, the download links don't work, can't get instructions on how to do this, etc.

If someone could give me some recommendations, and point me to the best "go to" link on this topic, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Default Re: Play EB with Alex engine

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because we all need to compensate...

Download links don't work there. Anything else?

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

There's a spoiler in that link jirisys posted (between "EB-Alex step by step" and "AI unit use in battle") which contains the informations for manual adjustment of your files. It's not that hard to do it that way (even I was able to ).
    I cross fingers though that you don't run into the same annoying issue as me (persistent crashes at campaign start with almost all factions).

Alternatively you could of course use jirisys' Megamod (which has the same issue in my case but seems to work for everyone else).
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

While waiting for a response, I ended up going over to BI. What are the differences between BI and Alex? Is the AI better in Alex than BI? If it is substantially better, it might behoove me to try to go over. If it isn't, I might stick with BI.

Thanks.

Alex is definitely more stable. The AI retrains more and does better invasions.
    I think both have night battles
    In BI you have the shieldwall formation and the schiltrom formation & swimming ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Download links don't work there. Anything else?
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    There's a spoiler in that link jirisys posted (between "EB-Alex step by step" and "AI unit use in battle") which contains the informations for manual adjustment of your files
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    I cross fingers though that you don't run into the same annoying issue as me (persistent crashes at campaign start with almost all factions).

Alternatively you could of course use jirisys' Megamod (which has the same issue in my case but seems to work for everyone else).
    Use the mother of all bug fixes in the second post. No more crashes. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by danio43us67 View Post
    In BI you have the shieldwall formation and the schiltrom formation & swimming ability.
    Except it's useless unless you assign those attributes to the units by hand.

~Jirisys ()
    Last edited by jirisys; 01-27-2012 at 20:48.

Those instructions don't seem to work for me. The game just freezes at the load-up (has the EB load-up screen, but makes a bell tone and just freezes).

I suspect it's the shortcut line I'm supposed to edit, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Okay, got it to work (missed the instruction where it said to copy some chat file over). The only thing that seems to be missing is campaign descriptions. Can anyone throw me some help on that?

Use the mother of all bug fixes in the second post. No more crashes. Hopefully.
    Explain?

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-28-2012 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Those instructions don't seem to work for me. The game just freezes at the load-up (has the EB load-up screen, but makes a bell tone and just freezes).

I suspect it's the shortcut line I'm supposed to edit, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Okay, got it to work (missed the instruction where it said to copy some chat file over). The only thing that seems to be missing is campaign descriptions. Can anyone throw me some help on that?

Explain?

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Too bad, I uploaded the Alex EB pack so you didn't need to do the steps manually anymore. Though there are problems with the Alex EB.

That was for my mod pack, not Alex EB.

~Jirisys ()

Too bad, I uploaded the Alex EB pack so you didn't need to do the steps manually anymore.
    Whoops - sorry. Didn't know about all of that, that's why I came here. I was told to follow the directions on that site, which is what I did.

If I had known to use your mod pack, that's what I would have done.

It seems I made myself a mess there.

What I meant to say is that I uploaded Maksimus' pack again.

And in that the second quote on your previous post, I was referring to the mega mod pack (the mother of all bugfixes).

Apologies.

~Jirisys ()

Ah, gotcha! No harm, no foul, and thanks for the assistance.