Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Default EB for Macintosh - questions & support thread

Hi,

My name is Edwin and I work for Feral Interactive who ported Rome Total War to the Mac.

I have extracted all the EB 1.2 data out of the Windows installers and I have the mod working on the Mac I wanted to know who I should ask about permission to host (with full credit) a Mac download of the Mod for Mac users so they don't need to install it on the PC and copy the data across which is a little tricky for most people.

I would like to have this hosted on our downloads page (downloads.feralinteractive.com) so Mac fans can join in. The only edits I have done to the mod are to convert the video files from wmv to a Mac friendly format, after the edit I also edited descr_sm_factions.txt with the new file endings.

As a Rome fan I just want to make sure Mac players can access all the cool mods but I also want to make sure that everyone who made the mod gets the credits they deserve.

If someone could let me know who I should contact that would be great thanks!

Edwin

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

I will post your request in the internal forums (if another team member hasn't done so already yet). I expect it'll be fine with the rest of the team but it's tradition we let everyone take part in these kind of decisions.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Default Re: Mac Version - Mac version created & hosting organised, who do I ask for permissio

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    I will post your request in the internal forums (if another team member hasn't done so already yet). I expect it'll be fine with the rest of the team but it's tradition we let everyone take part in these kind of decisions.
    Thanks sounds good.

Edwin

From the feedback so far: it seems like the rest of the team agrees, too. So as far as we are concerned you can go ahead and host a Mac version of the mod. A couple of things I/we think you should take into account however, are:
    1. The best thing to do would be to host a combined 1.1 & 1.2 version of the mod. It should also include the EB 1.2 fixes.
    2. We'd would like to get an URL from you we can use for a hyperlink on our website to refer Mac OSX users to your Mac version of the mod.
    3. We won't be able to provide any tech support of substance.
    4. And we think you should refer people to this forum thread too: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...or-Forum-Users
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

From the feedback so far: it seems like the rest of the team agrees, too. So as far as we are concerned you can go ahead and host a Mac version of the mod. A couple of things I/we think you should take into account however, are:
    1. The best thing to do would be to host a combined 1.1 & 1.2 version of the mod. It should also include the EB 1.2 fixes.
    2. We'd would like to get an URL from you we can use for a hyperlink on our website to refer Mac OSX users to your Mac version of the mod.
    3. We won't be able to provide any tech support of substance.
    4. And we think you should refer people to this forum thread too: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...or-Forum-Users
    1. Already done :) I only plan on hosting a single version for the Mac, 1.2 with all the patches.
    2. Once it is hosted I will ping you a url for you to link to
    3. I would not expect Mac specific support however Mac users will I am sure head to the forums and ask for mod specific help (issues or gamplay questions NOT related getting it to work). As the Mac and PC data structure and engine are idential any mod issues will usually be cross platform in nature. I understand not being able to help Mac people with Mac problems but I hope actual issues inside the mod you would treat the Mac users the same as Windows and offer them the same advice? I am happy to make this point clear to Mac users in the download so you don't get any help requests for Mac installation issues.
    4. Sure we can refer people to the forum rules page if you would like that is no problem at all.

I hope to get the Mac mod packaged up later this week will let you know how I progress.

Cheers,

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin@Feral View Post
    I would not expect Mac specific support however Mac users will I am sure head to the forums and ask for mod specific help (issues or gamplay questions NOT related getting it to work). As the Mac and PC data structure and engine are idential any mod issues will usually be cross platform in nature. I understand not being able to help Mac people with Mac problems but I hope actual issues inside the mod you would treat the Mac users the same as Windows and offer them the same advice? I am happy to make this point clear to Mac users in the download so you don't get any help requests for Mac installation issues.
    Yes we (and for that matter other fans) will be able to deal with “how do I get Marian legions” type of questions. However things like CTD's may prove more tricky as we can't really be sure that Feral's version of Rome Total War contains all the idiosyncrasies and bugs of the original...
    Sure we can refer people to the forum rules page if you would like that is no problem at all.
    It's actually a collection of FAQ-type threads that one.
    I hope to get the Mac mod packaged up later this week will let you know how I progress.

Cheers,
    Looking forward to it!
    - Tellos Athenaios

Yes we (and for that matter other fans) will be able to deal with “how do I get Marian legions” type of questions. However things like CTD's may prove more tricky as we can't really be sure that Feral's version of Rome Total War contains all the idiosyncrasies and bugs of the original...

It's actually a collection of FAQ-type threads that one.

Looking forward to it!
    I did my best to make sure that the Mac behaves like the PC (bugs and all) so mods would work with out any editing...

I tested a few mods like this one during development and it looked OK but then again I did not have time to complete any mods as I was a bit busy on the full game :)

I will try and keep a look out in the forums but if something Mac specific crops up feel free to bug me and I will see if I can get it fixed so the Mac and PC behave the same bugs and all. We don't officially support any mods but I will do my best to get them fixed in between other things.

Edwin

Hi Everyone,

My initial Mac version of the mod is now available.

Europa Barbarorum (1.3GB) - http://www.feralinteractive.com/down...Barbarorum.dmg

This link contains the DATA only, I also have written an installer script for this mod and a few others, as installing a mod on the mac involves making the data image read/write I recommend downloading the install/image modifier script.

http://www.feralinteractive.com/down...meModSetup.dmg

KNOWN ISSUES

Video files don't play correctly I think I need to remap a few more links in the desc text files so they have the new mov line endings. I will have a look at this when I have time but if someone solves it please let me know, I will gladly take your solution and make it available inside the mod image.

Thanks again to all the original modding team!

Edwin

I have added links on the Europa Barbarorum website. Please let me know if there are errors in the text: https://www.europabarbarorum.com/dow...mod.html#feral
    - Tellos Athenaios

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Great stuff!

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Okay, I tried installing manually, automatically, and through getting it via .rar on a memory stick. Each time it goes to the Europa Barbarorum screen then CTD.

Would that be a mac specific problem, or other?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ganstamaori View Post
    Okay, I tried installing manually, automatically, and through getting it via .rar on a memory stick. Each time it goes to the Europa Barbarorum screen then CTD.

Would that be a mac specific problem, or other?

Thanks.
    I would delete your install of the game and reinstall a vanilla install.
    Delete all your preferences apart form your save game folder (~/Library/Preferences/Feral Interactive/Rome Total War/)
    Run the installer after watching the video guide.

I know we have had loads of machines and so far you are the first CTD apart from one mac in the office and deleting the old prefs solved the issue.

Edwin

Okay, I'll try reinstalling again.

Do you want be to only delete the contents of the folders in ~/Library/Preferences/Feral Interactive/Rome Total War/) or the whole folders?

I have added links on the Europa Barbarorum website. Please let me know if there are errors in the text: https://www.europabarbarorum.com/dow...mod.html#feral
    If you could point out in the known issues that I plan to try and fix video problems if I have a spare moment (I just wanted to get the initial version out to everyone). Also if Mac users do fix anything themselves please drop me a line at Feral or post in the Mac thread and I will merge them in for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks again!

Edwin

Okay, I'll try reinstalling again.

Do you want be to only delete the contents of the folders in ~/Library/Preferences/Feral Interactive/Rome Total War/) or the whole folders?
    Either but I think I deleted the folders.

Edwin

Added a request in the website text to post bugs & fixes for the Mac OSX packages in this thread.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Added a request in the website text to post bugs & fixes for the Mac OSX packages in this thread.
    Thanks!

Edwin

This is Great!! One Question: Can I play using the Alex executable or the BI executable? Does it have night battles, retraining, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing141 View Post
    This is Great!! One Question: Can I play using the Alex executable or the BI executable? Does it have night battles, retraining, etc.?
    Alexander is not available on the Mac
    I have not tested using the BI executable but it should work fine as BI & Rome code wise are extremely similar.

Thanks, Edwin. I'm now playing EB.

Something you might be interested to know, as I think this might be causing problems for others who have been crashing at the same spot:

It seems that whenever I install the rtw patch upon reinstalling the game, it results in the game CTD whenever I hit -mod:EB. As long as I do not install the patch, EB works fine. I don't really mind though, as the patch only seemed to fix problems my mac wasn't experiencing playing rtw.

Thanks, Edwin. I'm now playing EB.

Something you might be interested to know, as I think this might be causing problems for others who have been crashing at the same spot:

It seems that whenever I install the rtw patch upon reinstalling the game, it results in the game CTD whenever I hit -mod:EB. As long as I do not install the patch, EB works fine. I don't really mind though, as the patch only seemed to fix problems my mac wasn't experiencing playing rtw.
    That does seem bizarre did you get any errors pop up during the installer process? If you ever do it again and can reproduce it it would be great if you can send me the logs from the installer terminal window for me to have a look at. thanks for letting me know

Cheers,

Edwin

No errors seem pop up during the installer process at all, oddly enough.

Ok, I realize this may be an awkward question, but I literally just but the Mac version of the game to try out your mod (happy to send you a proof of purchase), and I installed it and it works and all, but it always asks for the CD to be in the drive, which is rather annoying. Is there anything to be done about this?

Also, I notice that for some reason I can't play the mac version in resolution greater than 1980x1200, but when I play the PC version on my Boot Camp partition I can get the game to fill my iMac's entire screen (2560 x ????)...is that an EB issue or an RTW issue?

SOrry for all the questions, and thanks for any insight you can offer.

thx for the mod, it works great, but when i go on custom battles, every faction has the same units, the romans for example have soldiers for 10 different factions, is the same for all other factions, how can I fix this

Hi All,

Just a quick reminder for the fastest response please make sure you post questions in the right place.

Mac Retail Game issues - Feral Support Email
    Mac Mod issues - Post in this thread (after searching the forums as someone on the PC might have had the same issue).
    Mac / PC Mod issues - This forum and the EB website has loads of great information I suggest searching around before posting a question as the answer might already exist.

Just trying to keep this thread on topic and make sure everyone gets a response to their question quickly as I cannot be guaranteed to have time to drop into this thread every day :)

Ok, I realize this may be an awkward question, but I literally just but the Mac version of the game to try out your mod (happy to send you a proof of purchase), and I installed it and it works and all, but it always asks for the CD to be in the drive, which is rather annoying. Is there anything to be done about this?
    No, DVD protection is the system used on Mac Rome. We plan on launching our online store which will work on serial based activation later this year.

Also, I notice that for some reason I can't play the mac version in resolution greater than 1980x1200, but when I play the PC version on my Boot Camp partition I can get the game to fill my iMac's entire screen (2560 x ????)...is that an EB issue or an RTW issue?

SOrry for all the questions, and thanks for any insight you can offer.
    Try with FSAA off. I know the VRAM Usage for Mac and PC is different so the upper limit might be lower. If you contact support we can look into it further (for the retail game not the mod). I suspect the max resolution for the full game and the mod will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastAssasin1 View Post
    thx for the mod, it works great, but when i go on custom battles, every faction has the same units, the romans for example have soldiers for 10 different factions, is the same for all other factions, how can I fix this
    I don't know the expected behaviour as I spent most of my time making the installer and getting the mod to load and very little playing it :( I have no clue on how to fix it or what the PC version of the Mod does instead. I will see if I can have a look at it when I have time but anything you can do to help solve this for everyone else would be appreciated as right now I have a team of one working on the Mac installer and bugs :)

Edwin

That'll be the Trivial Script, which switches between 2 different sets of a few files and is capable of editing a couple of settings. It does these things:

1. Basic edits of preferences.txt
    2. Switch between various lighting settings and apply modesty patch if needed
    3. Switch between single- & multi- player versions of a few EB files like export_descr_units.txt Those files are found in EB/sp game edu backup/ and EB/mp game edu backup/ folders respectively.
    4. Launch the game with a number of configurable commandline parameters (e.g. -ne, -nm atop of -mod:eb)
    - Tellos Athenaios

That'll be the Trivial Script, which switches between 2 different sets of a few files and is capable of editing a couple of settings. It does these things:

1. Basic edits of preferences.txt
    2. Switch between various lighting settings and apply modesty patch if needed
    3. Switch between single- & multi- player versions of a few EB files like export_descr_units.txt Those files are found in EB/sp game edu backup/ and EB/mp game edu backup/ folders respectively.
    4. Launch the game with a number of configurable commandline parameters (e.g. -ne, -nm atop of -mod:eb)
    Thanks, the mod was based off having all the options in the Windows installer NOT installed. I figured I would work out the rest later. You have a link for how it all works?

Edwin

If you mean “do you know how it all works?” the answer is no. I didn't write the tool... The single/multiplayer thing is simply a matter of copying the right files.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Edwin,
    Thanks for the replies. I take the hint and would post to the Feral support site for game (as opposed to mod) issues, but I just checked and there is no forum on the Feral site dedicated to Rome: Total War....Also, tried to start the game with FSAA turned completely off and the max resolution was still 1980x1200 as opposed to the full screen on my iMac...

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast