Thread: Elder Scrolls Total War!

Default Elder Scrolls Total War!

Need modders to create the map, models, textures, banners...etc. Hopefully use some things from EB and RTR, like government types 1-4 and reforms, as well as some of the formations. I'll probably only be able to do the export_unit_descr myself due to dial-up internet...

So if you'd like to volunteer PM me or leave a post, and of course suggestions and questions are welcome (especially for clarification).

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Default Re: Elder Scrolls Total War!

Wow, interesting project. I loved the Elder Scrolls universe. Unfortunately I have next to no modding skills, so... I'll just watch.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Sindarin Elf of Doriath Member Finch's Avatar

that will take lots of work to do, i doubt anyone has the time to do that, you can still do it yourself though learning the best way how hard it is to make a mod.
    Last edited by Finch; 04-06-2009 at 03:38.

A lot of work has been done in this area already, you might be able to get some info from searching this site and twcenter as well

forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61827

Sindarin Elf of Doriath Member Finch's Avatar

that was 2 years ago and their site is dead as well as the mod wish they had released the mod

Quote Originally Posted by jemaho View Post
    A lot of work has been done in this area already, you might be able to get some info from searching this site and twcenter as well

forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61827
    yeah, I took a look at that. It looked like it was coming along quite well. I wonder if any of its members are still active?

I was active on the morrowind mod. I made about 7 units, test maps of tamriel, iliac bay and morrowind with solstheim. Later I made a more complete map of morrowind for medieval TW2
    I also exported a name database and fomatted it for mtw2. I started on the portraits by getting screencaps from ingame as well as some of the buildings that were going to be buildable in towns and cities, very time consuming. I've never actually stopped working on the mod, just been doing little bits here and there.

There is so much detail that can be included in a morrowind total conversion, it's mind boggling.

I would support and work on this as long as it has a clear artistic vision from the start, sets realistic goals and pointless bickering is kept to a minimum.

Realistic goals:
    Example - make a solsthiem minimod, could be realistically achieved in a few months. Finishing a mod gets you a lot of respect from the community and support snowballs from there. Use the momentum from that to make a larger mod.

Pointless bickering:
    A clear artistic/design vision reduces this problem, as do clear cut roles for the producers.
    Why argue for five pages about whether factions should be divided racially or by locality? If you just look at the map they are already divided into race by locality -
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=224986&page=2)
    or whether to use imperial or native names -
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=177636&page=8)
    This stuff reduces the output of the team, the enjoyment of the work, and leads to resignations.

Please note, I don't really care about bickering apart from the effect it has on production. Artists can be egotistical, especially if they are really talented or able to mod in many areas. Having clear goals of what each person is going to do at the outset and sticking to it means that a talented modeler is less likely to start telling the researchers that he doesn't like what they are coming up with and he is going to leave and work with other people/on other mods...

- or as Cartman says " ***** you guys, I'm going home" (damn. only time I ever want to use a smilie and they don't have an appropriate one...).

Quote Originally Posted by jemaho View Post
    I was active on the morrowind mod. I made about 7 units, test maps of tamriel, iliac bay and morrowind with solstheim. Later I made a more complete map of morrowind for medieval TW2
    I also exported a name database and fomatted it for mtw2. I started on the portraits by getting screencaps from ingame as well as some of the buildings that were going to be buildable in towns and cities, very time consuming. I've never actually stopped working on the mod, just been doing little bits here and there.

There is so much detail that can be included in a morrowind total conversion, it's mind boggling.

I would support and work on this as long as it has a clear artistic vision from the start, sets realistic goals and pointless bickering is kept to a minimum.

Realistic goals:
    Example - make a solsthiem minimod, could be realistically achieved in a few months. Finishing a mod gets you a lot of respect from the community and support snowballs from there. Use the momentum from that to make a larger mod.

Pointless bickering:
    A clear artistic/design vision reduces this problem, as do clear cut roles for the producers.
    Why argue for five pages about whether factions should be divided racially or by locality? If you just look at the map they are already divided into race by locality -
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=224986&page=2)
    or whether to use imperial or native names -
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=177636&page=8)
    This stuff reduces the output of the team, the enjoyment of the work, and leads to resignations.

Please note, I don't really care about bickering apart from the effect it has on production. Artists can be egotistical, especially if they are really talented or able to mod in many areas. Having clear goals of what each person is going to do at the outset and sticking to it means that a talented modeler is less likely to start telling the researchers that he doesn't like what they are coming up with and he is going to leave and work with other people/on other mods...

- or as Cartman says " ***** you guys, I'm going home" (damn. only time I ever want to use a smilie and they don't have an appropriate one...).
    Yeah, a Solstheim mod sounds good (should it be for MTW2?), I can't work on anything for a month or two though, and as I said at this point all I could do is the Export unit descriptions.
    So far, I can see only a handful of clear factions for a Solstheim mod:
    Skaal
    Imperial
    Reikling
    Necromancers
    perhaps Ravenrock
    Last edited by Kikaz; 04-29-2009 at 23:45.