Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New installer for Europa Barbarorum with Barbarian Invasion

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Default Re: New installer for Europa Barbarorum with Barbarian Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Ferromancer View Post
    That was actually done on purpose. The game is supposed to regenerate a map.rwm or else nasty things can happen, as the rwm file contains compiled mod data. A better solution would have been to delete the map.rwm file and let it retore itself.
    That's what's odd. There was no map.rwm in the folder, and the game was CTD'ing instead of creating a new one. Maybe it was confused by the presence of the "eb_before_bi_map.rwm" file?
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Okay guys, a brand spanking new installer that includes the lastest permanent fix (from 2009/2/1), as well as theoretical *full mini-mod compatability*, so long as you run my installer last.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

So I've tried it for a while, so far so good. It seems to be compatible with most minimods, savegame or otherwise.
    Just two things:

1.) It seems to have a problem with the Spoils of Victory mod because when I tried to view my general's army stats it gave me a lovely picture... of my desktop. That's what they call in the ed bizz a CTD, I believe.

2.) Did you purposely downgrade Pyrrhos' (Epeirote faction leader) general stars? He seems to have half of what he had in the original.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

I managed to pick and choose mods out of the mini mod pack and get them to work on BI, however, I have to start my campaign on rtw.exe and then save it and come back into BI to play it. If I try and select the EB main campaign in BI I get the message, "Please select an item from the list."
    Last edited by Ardri; 02-04-2009 at 00:24.

Let me try to address all the concerns:

* "Spoils of Victory" will not work because it's for EB 1.1, not EB 1.2
    * I do not change any command traits for family members--only night fighting traits are unlocked. What was the number of stars for Phyrrus? I can check it against my mod and vanilla rtw.
    * @Ardri: which mods do you have installed so I can attempt to recreate "Please select an item from the list." error?
    Last edited by Ferromancer; 02-04-2009 at 05:46.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Konny's Trait Mod, Forced Diplomacy, and Socii Romanii. I'm not sure it is related to the mini mods, since the game plays fine with them after I get the campaign loaded. I just started it on rtw.exe, saved immediately, quit and loaded it on bi.exe and I have the special formations and the other additions. Just seems really odd to me, I did check all the preferences and changed it off of first time to play.

Let me try to address all the concerns:

* "Spoils of Victory" will not work because it's for EB 1.1, not EB 1.2
    * I do not change any command traits for family members--only night fighting traits are unlocked. What was the number of stars for Phyrrus? I can check it against my mod and vanilla rtw.
    Ah, I was somehow under the impression that it had been adapted to 1.2
    A shame, really... SoV was the one minimod I really wanted to install, it adds to the experience (plus I have this tendency to go bankrupt very often).

Well, Pyrrhos had 8 in the original 1.2, if I recall, then when I installed the new mod it went down to 5.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Hi, actually I use your old installer because the knew one doesn't work for me.
    First I installed Rome and BI (patches of course) then EB1.1, 1.2 then the 1.2 mod pack and then your installer ...but while bi for eb is installing several error messages occured everytime the installer tried to edit a file in the roaming/temp folder. I thought maybe incompatibel with the 1.2 modpack so reinstalled EB and tried to install the BI for EB just to test whether it works or not ..the same errors occured. And now I am playing EB 1.2 wiht BI without the minimodpack.

@Friedrich Barbarossa:

If you could find out what the error messages said, that would help a lot.

It could be because it's failing to detect .net on your machine, and the code in the installer that's supposed to download it for you isn't being run. Did it ever come up with a message saying you needed to download the .net framework?
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
    Ah, I was somehow under the impression that it had been adapted to 1.2
    A shame, really... SoV was the one minimod I really wanted to install, it adds to the experience (plus I have this tendency to go bankrupt very often).

Well, Pyrrhos had 8 in the original 1.2, if I recall, then when I installed the new mod it went down to 5.
    Tried vanilla EB and the BI version. He always has a base of 5 stars. He may get up to 8 when including bonuses and ancillaries, such as attacking an army in the open.

About spoils of victory, the minimodpack may have a 1.2 version.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Okay... out of paranoia I'm going over the minimod pack file by file, and it seems a bunch of stuff that's supposed to be commented out (so I can uncomment with my installer) is either deleted outright or completely changed so the parse doesn't know what it's uncommenting. This can cause all sorts of problems, so I'm working on another version right now.

Lucy, you have some splainin' to do!

Affected files:
    desc_strat.txt
    export_descr_character_traits.txt

More to come later.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Here's a balloon for all the hard work: [how does this balloon thing work, anyway?]

I have the minimod pack installed and the game works, but I'm not sure if the mods are working in any way.
    Well... keep us posted.

Thanks, for the balloon!
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

so I'm working on another version right now.
    Excellent! Somehow I'm playing with bi.exe after starting the game with rtw.exe as I said earlier in the thread, but after playing a bit I cannot actually fight night battles (my generals do have the trait). All the other pieces of the mod seem to be working great and Carthage continually insist on landing armies at the coast by Capua. Combine the bi.exe AI with the changes I've made to the money script and there is chaos waiting to ensue (2 Sweboz stacks besieging the Arverni capital only to have 3 Audei stacks beat them off only to be driven off by the Arverni for example) so thanks for making this installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    Excellent! Somehow I'm playing with bi.exe after starting the game with rtw.exe as I said earlier in the thread, but after playing a bit I cannot actually fight night battles (my generals do have the trait). All the other pieces of the mod seem to be working great and Carthage continually insist on landing armies at the coast by Capua. Combine the bi.exe AI with the changes I've made to the money script and there is chaos waiting to ensue (2 Sweboz stacks besieging the Arverni capital only to have 3 Audei stacks beat them off only to be driven off by the Arverni for example) so thanks for making this installer.
    The discrepancies in the two files mentioned above specifically involved night battles, so there's no surprise that that isn't working properly. I'm relieved that other things work fine, and the that AI kicks ass.

I'll keep everybody up to date on my bug hunt progress.

Oh, and I also found out that the shortcut created by my installer disables movies (which I believe somebody reported earlier). If you can't wait until the patch comes out, you can re-enable movies by getting rid of the -nm switch in the shortcut.

I'm thinking I might give the minimod a whirl after all the kinks are ironed out, as some of the features look interesting.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Okay, the installer has been updated with better compatibility--it will now work perfectly with the minimod pack!
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

So far, so good. I think SoV and some of the other mods are working because under "Grizzled" in my general's description it says "+4 Command Stars", with all the other ancillaries when he attacks it all looks so shiny.

Haven't gotten any actual spoils from any battles, though. But I've set unit scale to "huge" so let's see what happens. I'll let you know as soon as I notice anything.

Again, good job!

Thanks! I look forward to hearing about your loot.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

However that earlier mentioned Night Raider problem is coming up... my FMs have the trait but I don't have the option to attack at night.

Your generals need a certain number of stars before they can attack at night. It's either a base of 3 or 5. Bonuses don't count.

For instance, Phyrrus should be able to do night attacks right away.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardri View Post
    I managed to pick and choose mods out of the mini mod pack and get them to work on BI, however, I have to start my campaign on rtw.exe and then save it and come back into BI to play it. If I try and select the EB main campaign in BI I get the message, "Please select an item from the list."
    I had the same problem. It's caused when you don't have a map.rwm file in the EB/Data/world/maps/base/ folder. As noted earlier, maybe the game is supposed to create one when it's missing, but this does NOT happen with fresh EB-BI installs.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Here is an entry describing the map.rwm file:

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Map.rwm

I'm just following the article's advice and renaming the file. There must be some further conflict between existing mods and my installer. Did you try re-downloading my installer and running it? I made a few compatibility changes in the past few days.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Your generals need a certain number of stars before they can attack at night. It's either a base of 3 or 5. Bonuses don't count.

For instance, Phyrrus should be able to do night attacks right away.
    Exactly... Pyrrhos is the general in question.
    He has the "Night Attacker" trait... but apparently, he's your average daytime fighter.
    It doesn't show me on my attack screen that I have the option of attacking at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Burebista View Post
    Exactly... Pyrrhos is the general in question.
    He has the "Night Attacker" trait... but apparently, he's your average daytime fighter.
    It doesn't show me on my attack screen that I have the option of attacking at night.
    Allright, I need you to do me a favor then.

First, run the my installer and confirm that on the first screen the version is 1.2.2.2. If it is, I need you to send me six files:

1. descr_strat.txt
    2. eb_before_bi_descr_strat.txt
    3. export_descr_character_traits.txt
    4. eb_before_bi_export_descr_character_traits.txt
    5. export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt
    6. eb_before_bi_export_descr_VnVs_enums.txt

These can be found in the EB\data and EB\data\text folders I believe.

You may send them by contacting me through one of the icons below my name (AIM, ICQ, etc).

I'll be online for the weekend.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

I'm just following the article's advice and renaming the file. There must be some further conflict between existing mods and my installer. Did you try re-downloading my installer and running it? I made a few compatibility changes in the past few days.
    I do not use mods of any kind - just "pure" EB. The sequence I follow is pretty standard:

1) Install RTW
    2) Install BI on top of it
    3) Patch BI to 1.6

That becomes my "master directory", and no further changes are made to it.

4) Copy the master directory, and rename (fe, "RTW EB-BI")
    5) Install EB 1.1
    6) Upgrade to EB 1.2
    7) Install the three EB v1.2 patches (sprites, edb, and scriptfixes)

Now we have a completely clean, fully patched, virgin install of RTW and EB

8) Install EB_For_BI_Setup
    9) Launch EB-BI from your desktop shortcut

And this is where, every time, if I try and select the EB main campaign in BI I get the message, "Please select an item from the list." At that point, it is impossible to begin a new campaign. And that problem is caused by the absence of a map.rwm file.

As noted earlier, it was surprisingly easy to fix - I just used the one you had name-changed to "eb_before_bi_map.rwm".
    Last edited by Kull; 02-08-2009 at 16:38.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Ok ime new here and ime having troble with eb for bi.

i did a clean install of rtw 1.5 and bi 1.6
    then i installed eb then eb 1.2 into the rtw file outside of program files.
    then i installed the mini mod pack into the rtw file.
    then i did some tweaking following this post:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...3&postcount=85

then i installed this mod in the rtw file i installed eb in.
    and when i clicked on the eb for bi shortcut i got this error message:

script error in eb/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 10227 column 27
    could not find officer battle modle for unit, roman infantry first legionary cohort i'

Quote Originally Posted by CyberPhalanx View Post
    Ok ime new here and ime having troble with eb for bi.

i did a clean install of rtw 1.5 and bi 1.6
    then i installed eb then eb 1.2 into the rtw file outside of program files.
    then i installed the mini mod pack into the rtw file.
    then i did some tweaking following this post:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...3&postcount=85

then i installed this mod in the rtw file i installed eb in.
    and when i clicked on the eb for bi shortcut i got this error message:

script error in eb/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 10227 column 27
    could not find officer battle modle for unit, roman infantry first legionary cohort i'

Those instructions in that post are handled automatically by my installer.

However, your problem is due to a major issue in the minimod pack, which has not been resolved yet.

To fix it, do the following to your export_desc_unit.txt:

Replace:
    roman_infantry_cohorsevocata_cohorspraetoriana
    with:
    roman_infantry_cohorsimperatoria_evocata

replace:
    roman_infantry_cohorsimperatoria
    with:
    roman_infantry_cohorsimperatoria_evocata

delete line:
    officer roman_eagle
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    I do not use mods of any kind - just "pure" EB. The sequence I follow is pretty standard:

1) Install RTW
    2) Install BI on top of it
    3) Patch BI to 1.6

That becomes my "master directory", and no further changes are made to it.

4) Copy the master directory, and rename (fe, "RTW EB-BI")
    5) Install EB 1.1
    6) Upgrade to EB 1.2
    7) Install the three EB v1.2 patches (sprites, edb, and scriptfixes)

Now we have a completely clean, fully patched, virgin install of RTW and EB

8) Install EB_For_BI_Setup
    9) Launch EB-BI from your desktop shortcut

And this is where, every time, if I try and select the EB main campaign in BI I get the message, "Please select an item from the list." At that point, it is impossible to begin a new campaign. And that problem is caused by the absence of a map.rwm file.

As noted earlier, it was surprisingly easy to fix - I just used the one you had name-changed to "eb_before_bi_map.rwm".
    Do no copy and paste your RTW directory, you'll screw up a lot of things (registry entries, program shortcuts). It's also a pointless step since EB is contained within its own mod directory.

It's also not necessary to install the fixes, as my installer installs them for you.

I'm doing a clean install right now of EB and see what's going on with the map.rwm file.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

Okay. After doing a clean install I was able to start a new game just fine.

I started a new game by clicking

click on "Europa Barbarorum for Barbarian Invasion" shortcut->Single Player->EB Main Campaign->[Pick A Faction]->Start the campaign

How have you guys been starting up your campaign?

EDIT:

I've done a search for this problem elsewhere, and it seems to be due to installing things in the wrong location. Make sure everything is *always* installed to your base RTW folder. Or is it is caused by running the trivial script. DO NOT USE IT with BI or Alex.
    Last edited by Ferromancer; 02-09-2009 at 04:17.
    Currently playing as:

Thanks for the balloons!

thanks a bunch for your help Ferromancer and thanks for a great mod: 2thumbsup:

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast