Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: French Presidential Election

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: French Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan View Post
    Mitterand was talented and would eat today's candidates for breakfast... But it was 35 years ago and the man, being somme great self-seeker, would likely look more like a (talented) Macron nowadays.
    Now again Mitterand is a very mixed-up memory for the french left. For me who grew up in a neighbourhood where the Party ruled (i.e: Communist Party, there was never no other one here), his election was a sign of hope. It was only a few months before everyone realised he was a man for the financial powers. I remember that very well, and I was only seven years old at that time.
    I was wondering if the propped up corpse would still best the current crop of candidates....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I was wondering if the propped up corpse would still best the current crop of candidates....
    If we must go for a corpse let's take Leon Blum. His ghost would win.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

All right so... I guess last night's debate was quite heated, given that there was a lot of shouting going on.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    All right so... I guess last night's debate was quite heated, given that there was a lot of shouting going on.
    No TV, so all I heard is various people talking about it since then and it looks like here is the "winner": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Poutou , for his well spirited attacks on Fillon and Le Pen. Even right-wingers appreciated his words. Legendary already.

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

You know the spirit: 3 French speaking politic equal 5 opinions and 7 political parties...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Breaking news!

I'm going to vote in eastern France for the last time. Moving back to Brittany once and for all after ten years among the white thrash.

I'm soon leaving a place where Front National is at a routine 40%. And dwelling a place where it will reach an historic high of 15% ten days away.

Political fracture between west/southwestern France and the rest is getting upsetting.

Time for hijack, Brits, the french Corbyn is on the march! Melenchon rules.

Political fracture between west/southwestern France and the rest is getting upsetting.
    France too? It seems that all countries nowadays enjoy the reputation of "a deeply divided nation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    France too? It seems that all countries nowadays enjoy the reputation of "a deeply divided nation".
    Nothing so bad. France can overcome some. Still...

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Good luck overcoming

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Breaking news!

I'm going to vote in eastern France for the last time. Moving back to Brittany once and for all after ten years among the white thrash.

I'm soon leaving a place where Front National is at a routine 40%. And dwelling a place where it will reach an historic high of 15% ten days away.

Time for hijack, Brits, the french Corbyn is on the march! Melenchon rules.
    So you want us to annex Brittany, yes?

Can do, just as soon as we finish one of these Aircraft carriers and get some tanks our of storage.

Oh, and we're going to need a LOT of red wool serge.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Presidential elections tomorrow. 4 way race, this is going to be very very complex to untangle.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    So you want us to annex Brittany, yes?

Can do, just as soon as we finish one of these Aircraft carriers and get some tanks our of storage.
    Already tried. Way too often during the last nine centuries, last time 20 years ago. When the Brits evacuated after the 2008 financial crises housing prices got back to a normal low. So please, please stay up north. Send some ladies.
    About the carrier, isn't it overkill, Brittany beeing less than 200 miles from Cornwall, or has the RAF fallen so low it can't even reach the next door?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Presidential elections tomorrow. 4 way race, this is going to be very very complex to untangle.
    I'm going to cast my vote and flee due west for three weeks.
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 04-22-2017 at 20:23.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

So please, please stay up north. Send some ladies.
    From Britain? Are you that desperate?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Mind please... I am married with a British... Half Irish, all right, but still half English...
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    I wrote "Ladies", not "average vulgar english females".

For conversation, you know...

Husar 

Right. The trap worked. Political fascism or economical fascism...?
    Probably I will abstain. Can't vote for Le Pen, but on the same token can't vote for Macron... Sad day...

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Vote early and vote often.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Members thankful for this post (2):

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

C'est le ton qui fait la chanson.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Right. The trap worked. Political fascism or economical fascism...?
    Probably I will abstain. Can't vote for Le Pen, but on the same token can't vote for Macron... Sad day...
    They are neither but wouldn't vote on either, but what's wrong with abstaining, I never vote. Did this time in Dutch elections though because of a very moderate libertarian-type newcommer.

For French speakers out there:
    https://www.mediapart.fr/journal/fra...front-national
    And a brief run down in English (couldn't find other sources, perhaps someone will):
    http://en.censor.net.ua/news/438729/..._ukraine_media

Blog Entries

Seems off, if russia wanted to fund Le pen why'd they give them a loan instead of just plain funding them?

What proof is it that this loan was gifted?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mediapart is quite good at it...
    Not that will change the vote. I will abstain as I can't vote for Macron, but can't for Le Pen (Fascist. @Fragony: The FN was created by former French SS of the 33 SS Charlemagne... So fascist is an improvement...).

For the ones who want to improve their French
    https://www.challenges.fr/politique/...-buresi_471011
    Last edited by Brenus; 05-05-2017 at 18:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Seems off, if russia wanted to fund Le pen why'd they give them a loan instead of just plain funding them?

What proof is it that this loan was gifted?
    The loan was received in 2014. Any news of its being paid back (with interest)?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Mediapart is quite good at it...
    Not that will change the vote. I will abstain as I can't vote for Macron, but can't for Le Pen (Fascist. @Fragony: The FN was created by former French SS of the 33 SS Charlemagne... So fascist is an improvement...).

For the ones who want to improve their French
    https://www.challenges.fr/politique/...-buresi_471011
    Could you go into more details about Macron?
    I haven't really looked myself, but the news here paint him as a French Tony Blair leading a French New Labour, but his party is brand new and it will require a coalition to get anything done.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Could you go into more details about Macron?
    I haven't really looked myself, but the news here paint him as a French Tony Blair leading a French New Labour, but his party is brand new and it will require a coalition to get anything done.
    I can, but I have to warn you, I vote against him.
    He is a brilliant man, university and speak English quite fluently which is rare in France. He worked as trader at Rothschild bank where he made some good money. He became a kind of grey eminence in the former socialist party and became Ministry of Finances, I think. He is a big believer in market economy, really, there is video of him in Youtube explaining to workers who just lost their jobs it is a good thing... He is definitively arrogant, but is brilliant. He is for the destruction of all social protections (including the Code du Travail, the law that put the rules for business) and will destroy them without vote of the Parliament... Thatcher in a rosy pinko compared to him.
    He is one of the responsible for the massive strikes and demonstration in France last year, and do not shy away to put opponent/unionists in jail or giving orders to the police to shoot rubber bullet straight to the demonstrator...
    If he had to face any one else than Le pen, he would have no chance. But he is supported but all media and the propaganda effort in his favour was massive and well organised.
    First, made Le Pen a bit more glamorous, more normal, and shoot to all others potential opponents.
    Then hide the fact he has no programme, and present him as "new".
    Now, he is against Le Pen, who never had a chance because a goat would be elected against Le Pen.
    Now, what the media (and their owners, such Dassault (Air Plane -Mirages and rafales) Lagardere (weapons) Lafarge (concrete) and others is to convince to unit again fascism and give to their puppet as legitimacy he hasn't.
    Figures are these: He has a bit more than 20 %, Le Pen same, Fillon a bit less than 20 % so Mélenchon. The others got what left (and I think 20% abstention, people who didn't go to vote). So the reality is 80 % are against him. So his bosses have to create a pseudo agreement, so the "Republican Front" in order to reach a percentage a bit like North Korea or the former Socialist Republics. It did work before, Chirac vs Le Pen (Father) got 82%, then claimed to have been elected for his program...
    This is because in one month we have elections of the Parliament. Traditionally, the French give a majority to the new president, who then will pick his Prime Minister in the new majority. So, you can see the problem... What if the French don't?
    What is new is the anger in the French voters. So the media have to persuade them that he have to have their vote for Leadership (a bit like May does here, not for a program, just because), but it doesn't work. Not really.
    As one who publicly said I will abstain, my FB account saw more "attacks" than before: I was an ally of FN because who don't vote against vote for (pure BS), we have to built a dam against fascism, ignoring the fact that if you don't drain the river the water carry on to go-up, and the reasons why the FN is going up is directly linked with the 9,000,000 poor and 3,000,000 unemployed, thanks to the policy followed during the last 25 years... In brief, a bit like the rats wanting to eradicate the Black Plague.
    I hope this answer a bit your questions.
    The problem is the growing frustration of the French, and we are not known for our respect of rules, especially when the games are rigged. Me and friends are feeling trapped and conned. The confiscation of our democracy by the oligarchy in power stats to be too apparent. We still didn't digest the hold-up on our "no" vote against the European Treaty which became a "yes" under Sarkolland.
    In the other hand, in order to maintain their profit and their powers, the members of the oligarchy, in the common and shared interest, nothing as dark as a conspiracy, can't let go without a fight.
    Macron is a right tool for it.
    Last edited by Brenus; 05-06-2017 at 20:37.

Beskar 

Brenus, can you tell us anything about the Macron email/data dump?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Not really. It is on my FB, but because it is 1 day before elections, we can't have any potential political information about candidates. It is weird because we all talk politic each time we can, but nothing can be official...

This one was my candidate. And his movement will be my vote. Insoumis I am.
    https://youtu.be/JzPOK2pcev8
    Last edited by Brenus; 05-06-2017 at 21:46.

Good vid. I understand bugger all in French and less in AMSLam, but I liked the score :)
    Just next time, give the signer the score ahead of time; it looks really cool when they sync.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

No good choices for the Frenchies, I wouldn't be surprised if the election gets a national boycot, kinda hoping they do that. The FN hasn't changed don't be fooled into thinking that they did, it is still the same party with the same supporters, and posterboy Macron is just as bad in a different way, pick your poison, or don't at all I wouldn't

French election is much more interesting than the Brittish one, it's basicly a Frexit referendum. A Nexit is still burning where you can't see it, call me interested and file me under H for Hopefull
    Last edited by Fragony; 05-07-2017 at 13:40.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast