Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the brits are still a fine people

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Default Re: Looks like the brits are still a fine people

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    lol, I remember that episode as well! I always wondered what would happen if they did something like that in an otherwise reality based TV show... Dick van Dyke is the man.
    The Dick Van Dyke Show basically invented the sitcom that we would recocnise
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Diefenbaker ruled.
    The absurd politeness and weird rituals were the icing on this shows cake
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    To be honest I dont see why they couldnt just shrink all those arts degrees down to two years etc.
    Better to double the amount in them, then I wouldn't be marking papers without basic formatting or comprehension.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Better to double the amount in them, then I wouldn't be marking papers without basic formatting or comprehension.
    Actually, this is a much better suggestion. There is not even any point in writing an 800 word paper. The average essay is 2,000 words, which is also far from ideal. Heck, my dissertation is 15,000 words and I wish it was triple that to make all the points I need to.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

So suddenly we're a fan of the free market and the free movement of labour?
    I'm against the concept of "borders" by principle, of course I'm all in favour of free movement of labour.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I'm against the concept of "borders" by principle, of course I'm all in favour of free movement of labour.
    What?! I thought international capitalism and the free exchange of labour/goods is what allowed the western bourgeoisie to artificially extend their time in power, even Marx said imperialism gave capitalism a new lease on life. The decadent west thrives on the fruits of the labour of the little boy working in an Indian sweatshop!

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Looks like the brits are still a fine people

THIS is how a protest is made! The French have finally been outdone!
    No, they are scum.

Students have a legitimate right to protest, but these, well i wouldn't cry if they were dragged down back alleys by french riot police.

Now they know how to party!
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-11-2010 at 10:50.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A bit of jealousy there methinks. Anyway, I am doing real degree, at a real Uni, that will get me a real job. With a real two hours classes a week. Ha!
    'real degree' =
    'real Uni' =
    'real job' = I don't think KFC comes under that...

Sorry, but at the real universities, there is no two hours per week. There is 2 hours peer week per module at least, and there is usually at least 3 modules. This is no even accounting for all the pre-seminar work, readings and lectures themselves, the hours listed were just seminars. I even asked friends and family members, and they say the same in other universities. So with Oxford (1st), Cambridge (2nd), St Andrews (4th), Lancaster (6th) being accounted... It isn't jealousy, I find it insulting.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-11-2010 at 15:21.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I, for one, applaud internal British resistance to global Anglo-capitalist oppression.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    'real degree' =
    'real Uni' =

Sorry, but at the real universities, there is no two hours per week. There is 2 hours peer week per module at least, and there is usually at least 3 modules. This is no even accounting for all the pre-seminar work, readings and lectures themselves, the hours listed were just seminars. I even asked friends and family members, and they say the same in other universities. So with Oxford (1st), Cambridge (2nd), St Andrews (4th), Lancaster (6th) being accounted... It isn't jealousy, I find it insulting.
    I meant jealous at my lack of a workload, not my Uni.

Anyway, my two hours are for one module. My dissertation counts for my other two this term (3 in total each term over 4 terms in 3rd/4th year. I'm pretty sure Glasgow counts as a real Uni. And I don't plan to build a career in KFC, don't you have a part-time job?

What?! I thought
    Then you should do some more thinking

Pffft what kind of leftist are you?

Pffft what kind of leftist are you?
    The awesome kind.

You mean the wishy-washy liberal kind. What happened to the real leftists? The leftists that called for the extermination of ethnic minorities? The leftists that called for prohibition? The leftists that wanted people to work for their share of the fruits of production?

You're just a pick and choose leftist!

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends on what they are studying at Uni. If it is a useful profession, and will help train them for a position that the job-market has a demand for, then what you say it true.

But with things like teachers etc... we have so many of them it is ridiculous, many are now having to work for nothing just to get a foot in the school system. And that's not even going into courses like Sports Medicine or Media Studies or whatever.

My brother has both a BS and a MA in History/Liberal Arts and.... He is worknig at Target's. That proves Rhy's point quite well.

Why do your Brits complain about this? We pay (I'm not,going to community college :D) $25,000 a year and your Brits pay what, only 5,000 or 10,000 a year? Give me a break. Go out and get a job you bums .

You mean the wishy-washy liberal kind. What happened to the real leftists? The leftists that called for the extermination of ethnic minorities? The leftists that called for prohibition? The leftists that wanted people to work for their share of the fruits of production?

You're just a pick and choose leftist!
    Correct - I'm a social democrat

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    'real degree' =
    'real Uni' =

Quite a lot of intellectual elitism coming from you Beskar, got to say I'm not impressed. Hate to break it to you but unless you went to Oxford and got a first, then there's always going to be someone claiming that their education is better than yours. What would you define as a real university anyway? As far as hours go as well, that's another poor indicator as hours vary per university and more so per subject. I currently have three hours worth of lectures per week from history (one module) and yet my two politics modules only have 2 hours per week of lectures between them. The work load for both is still the same however, it's just structure. Oh, and before you do bring it up, I do go to a "real" university, if by real you mean Russell group. I personally don't think this is a fair indication of a "real" university though.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

How boring. I think I'm going to call everyone to the left of me a communist, just for the lulz.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Quite a lot of intellectual elitism coming from you Beskar, got to say I'm not impressed. Hate to break it to you but unless you went to Oxford and got a first, then there's always going to be someone claiming that their education is better than yours. What would you define as a real university anyway? As far as hours go as well, that's another poor indicator as hours vary per university and more so per subject. I currently have three hours worth of lectures per week from history (one module) and yet my two politics modules only have 2 hours per week of lectures between them. The work load for both is still the same however, it's just structure. Oh, and before you do bring it up, I do go to a "real" university, if by real you mean Russell group. I personally don't think this is a fair indication of a "real" university though.
    Well, I'm not studying at a Russell Group University, and I only have one elcture and one Seminar a week (three hours)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    but that's because I'm the one teaching!

Seriously though guys, enough with the measuring. If you din't go to Oxford 20 years ago your degree probably isn't worth much academically - live with it.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oxford??!? Cambridge is #1 Not that I got the grades, I had to go to Imperial.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post

Oxford 20 years ago.

I didn't get the grades either, by the by.
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 11-11-2010 at 21:33.

To get back to topic, there is a serious side to all of this, looks like the idiot that threw the fire extinguisher off the roof may get what he deserves.

Besides the idiotic act itself, he didn't even think to wear a mask, so if you scroll the article you'll see a perfect shot of his face. Someone must be feeling nervous tonight...

To get back to topic, there is a serious side to all of this, looks like the idiot that threw the fire extinguisher off the roof may get what he deserves.

Besides the idiotic act itself, he didn't even think to wear a mask, so if you scroll the article you'll see a perfect shot of his face. Someone must be feeling nervous tonight...
    One mans terrorist is another mans liberator.

the police.

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post

You say it like you reluctantly had to take up a place at one of the best universities in the world.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

One mans terrorist is another mans liberator.

the police.
    I hope this is just you being provocative. That could easily have killed someone, in fact from the video, at the time of it being thrown, I would guess there was a 50% chance it woud kill. It's infinitely worse that smashing trashing 1,000 party headquarters and if this sort of thing happens more often such idiots are going to put their fellow protesters in real danger.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I meant jealous at my lack of a workload, not my Uni.

Anyway, my two hours are for one module. My dissertation counts for my other two this term (3 in total each term over 4 terms in 3rd/4th year. I'm pretty sure Glasgow counts as a real Uni. And I don't plan to build a career in KFC, don't you have a part-time job?
    Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    I apologise, there is some misunderstanding, which I will clear up first.

I am not being elitist, by the definition I am not actively saying "my university is better than yours". In short, I have a BSc and a MSc, and I had to work very hard for them, along side having a demanding part-time job which required 12-hour shifts and I had to completely self-finance myself with no aid from my parents (they don't have money). There was virtually no room for slacking and those who did slack walked away with having a third (aka, waste of a university attendance). There was constant demands on time and constant assessment.

The thing was, Rhyfelwyr was going around in a few threads and there were a couple of other comments about 2 hours a week, with the rest just doing nothing at all, saying the complete university experience is a blow-over which required no effort or commitment. Naturally, I have been in an environment with constant work and deadlines, having to work part-time, and pretty much only time I got any serious free time was after the term had ended (Xmas, Easter, Summer). So the issue is, is some one turned around and completely fobbing off University, I find that insulting and simply think they do not know what they are talking about, so they must either be on a waste of time 'art degree' or simply at a University which doesn't care.

So it isn't educational elitism, it is more of a case that I feel like I am being insulted and the work and effort I had to put in is being disgraced as I end up getting branded in the same category.

So when it comes to Rory possibly joking about University experience (He did Medical Science, so probably would be similar to me), however, the whole two hour thing is a complete disconnection.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

What, no soccer match that day? Violence won't get them anywhere.

If you can't afford that particular college, then find one you can afford or do something else.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

we had two jokes when i was at uni:

1) media studies students who had about three-four hours of lectures a week where we had twelve-sixteen.
    2) geographers who'd opted for the pussy version of earth science, when anyone knew that stuff of
    quaternary age or younger simply wasn't worth looking at.

people who wanted a truly character building university experience spent hours on the side of mountains in non-stop sleet battling hypothermia as we scratched notes with numb fingers into notebooks. my dissertation was six weeks in the outer hebrides!

of course the last laugh was had by the media studies wasters and geography pussies, because we were too expensive to train so they canned my department the year i graduated, after 125 years of sterling service. :D
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-12-2010 at 14:02.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Well as you can see it is not about the lecture hours because when you think about 12-16 is also a pretty small amount, school kids must do 30 odd, doesn't mean they worked harder than you.

I say, I find myself in full agreement with this chaps view on students....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F2LfRgJfYE

Is it a crime to have a pint without fear of being nudged by a student?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast