Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Game of thrones: the role playing game

Looks quite good!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Might be interesting but the graphics look a little too.....'cartoonish' and gamey for a story so grim as one set in ASoIaF universe might be.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Might be interesting but the graphics look a little too.....'cartoonish' and gamey for a story so grim as one set in ASoIaF universe might be.
    I was thinking that as well.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

compared to a slightly older game such as Witcher 2 the graphics just look downright outdated and ugly.

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

As a player interested in the plot and gameplay, so far it's looks quite good: especially the inability to pause in combat!
    Last edited by Arjos; 04-30-2012 at 22:50.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like the First Templar with a GoT theme ontop of it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    compared to a slightly older game such as Witcher 2 the graphics just look downright outdated and ugly.
    It is made by a pretty small studio, so that's not too surprising.

It looks interesting but I'll reserve judgement until it comes out.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Imagine if the trailer had not shown Lord Commander Mormont or Varys, nor played a rendition of the show's theme tune... in fact, just imagine that it showed gameplay alone; could you have easily identified it as a Game of Thrones product then? Or would you have labelled it as another generic Western RPG?

When I watch some of the trailers for this game, I feel that it's just a bog-standard RPG with the ASoIaF license slapped on. I really hope the product is successful so that we may see more of Westeros in video games, but I'm not optimistic.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    When I watch some of the trailers for this game, I feel that it's just a bog-standard RPG with the ASoIaF license slapped on. I really hope the product is successful so that we may see more of Westeros in video games, but I'm not optimistic.
    The Game of Thrones RTS was much like that - it was going to be a different title and then they just put a Game of Thrones in the title and changed the story a bit. Given it is the same developers, I'm fairly sure that this will be much the same.

All up, for me this will come down to plot - if it is an interesting plot then I'll stick with it. Otherwise, I'll give it a miss.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Looks like the First Templar with a GoT theme ontop of it.
    Might not be all bad then. I liked First Templar, although it was a little lackluster.
    Anyhow, dull graphics don't really matter much as long as the story itself is told properly, with a good amount of dialogue.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a reasonably positive preview of the game.

I'm cautiously hopeful, myself. It's clearly a mid-tier game. In recent years, I've enjoyed quite a few of them ... sometimes more than the big budget alternatives. Games like Divinity II, Risen and Rise of the Argonauts are undeniably a bit clunky and visually unexciting, but they all had something which made up for that. Big budget games by necessity must play things safe and aim for the widest possible audience. Low budget games are a little more able to stray from the beaten path.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    Games like Divinity II, Risen and Rise of the Argonauts are undeniably a bit clunky and visually unexciting, but they all had something which made up for that.
    I have two of those!
    Divinity II is probably the only game in recent times which allows the player to be the dragon. How can any game top that! I got the expansion too, but TBH I did not like it so much. Cannot wait for part 3.
    And I got Rise of the Argonauts because the premise seemed interesting, despite seeing the Internet filled with reviews criticising the game. I was not disappointed. The whole thing could've used a lot more polish but smashing monsters with a mace and building those combos was a lot of fun.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    I have two of those!
    Divinity II is probably the only game in recent times which allows the player to be the dragon. How can any game top that! I got the expansion too, but TBH I did not like it so much. Cannot wait for part 3.
    I played the original DII as well. I have a copy of the Dragon Knight Saga edition (snapped it up on release day ages ago) and I can't quite motivate myself to play it. I want more DII content, I'd love to see the more polished version of the game - but I adore the original ending. I do not want to see that ending changed.

DII had a very good sense of humour. It didn't take itself seriously, and that enabled it to turn some of its weaker areas (e.g voice acting) into strengths.

Did you find the giant pink killer bunny rabbit of avenging doom? That was a surprise! Oh yes.

And I got Rise of the Argonauts because the premise seemed interesting, despite seeing the Internet filled with reviews criticising the game. I was not disappointed. The whole thing could've used a lot more polish but smashing monsters with a mace and building those combos was a lot of fun.
    I enjoyed the way it was an RPG mainly about talking. The combat was very much in second place to the hero's brains, and his character was formed by dialogue choices instead of combat stats. How many times do we enter a debating contest with a boss, and win or lose based on how the audience judged our arguments? I liked the game enough to play through it twice.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secura View Post
    Imagine if the trailer had not shown Lord Commander Mormont or Varys, nor played a rendition of the show's theme tune... in fact, just imagine that it showed gameplay alone; could you have easily identified it as a Game of Thrones product then? Or would you have labelled it as another generic Western RPG?

To be fair, on the surface ASOIAF *looks* pretty bog-standard, since it's low medieval fantasy. What sets the universe apart is in the story (somewhat), the characters (definitely), and the subversion of fantasy tropes (those poor Starks). That's hard to show off in a trailer that is a mix of people standing around and other people fighting without any dialogue at all.

But it's still underwhelming.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I don't mind about the graphics as long as they get the story right. I really want this game to be good.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a reasonably positive preview of the game.
    "The game apparently contains around 270000 words of dialogue (“as much as you get in the first book”) and will take around 25 hours to complete if you rush through it, more like 35-40 if you explore everything."
    "I was a little surprised to discover that it’s actually built around tactical pause-time combat in the vein of Knights of the Old Republic or Dragon Age."

I like the sound of these two things particularly.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well the RPS preview is heartening, but I'm still skeptical. I will pay attention to reviews when it comes out.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

RPS has posted an interview with the developers. It's quite interesting. The comment about team size and time scales may be of particular interest to some people:

Quote Originally Posted by RPS interview
    Sylvain Sechi: We moved from prototype to production with ten people, roughly ten people, for 6/8 months, set up the engine first, the design, making sure what we wanted in the game, make some prototypes and then we moved into full scale production for almost two years…
    Thomas Veauclin: One year and a half.
    Sylvain Sechi: One year and a half maybe for full scale production with 45 persons, which is actually not so much compared to Bethesda or Bioware which have at least 100, 200 people.

RPS has posted an interview with the developers. It's quite interesting. The comment about team size and time scales may be of particular interest to some people:
    Few people working on a game for some years is better than a hundred people working for one year IMO, cause time is essential for good ideas to...sprout, for the lack of a better word.
    DAO took 5 years I think. Turned out to be excellent.

Either way it sounds very promising. The developers appear to know what is needed in a good RPG. With KOTOR as inspiration they can't go wrong. They also like M&B which is another plus. And the stuff they're saying about the story sounds promising.
    As long as they have some good voice actors, this might well be a game worth remembering.
    Also who else gets the feeling that the protagonists might end up dead at the end of the game?

Okay I'm officially excited about this game.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

battlesystem seems a bit like Witcher2 :P

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

They need a better trailer; this game sounds good.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

There's a last second delay to the UK release date. The game is now out at the start of next month. It's out now in America. Early indications are pretty much what I expected: poor reviews in the general media, and a split in gamer opinion based on those who can live with the wonkiness and those who need more polish. The general theme seems to be big ideas, small budget, with the occasional result that it over-reaches itself. A good number of people seem pleased with the storyline so far.

I'll probably give it a go if I can find a copy for around £20.

Blog Entries

Reviewed:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...s/#more-110540

There’s much left to both praise (the loot/gear system is well balanced, avoids excess and neatly themed to the various houses and banners of Westeros) and criticise (the broad depicting of women as victims or whores; the occasional open use of magic somewhat conflicts with the book, or at least the state of the world before the arrival of the red comet) but it’s time to do what George R.R. Martin will not and conclude. He makes a cameo appearance, incidentally, but unfortunately his acting is on a par with his respect for deadlines.

In short, it’s a troubled roleplaying game but also a really interesting and strong one. Every misfire is met by a triumph of some sort, and the one thing it is not is a lazy, perfunctory cash-in. It’s an epic that doesn’t quite have the budget to be an epic, but strives its hardest to be one nonetheless. It’s much more like the kind of experience I’d hoped for from Risen 2, which sadly turned out to be a stereotype-laden exercise in hollow jolliness. This is thoughtful, heavy with a sense of consequence and impressively nasty even despite stylistic and apparent budgetary failings. After the woeful Genesis, it’s also Cyanide very much making good on the huge license they lucked into.
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

It's out here next Friday. I am rather tempted. They seem to be launching it as a middle price point, and the RPS piece has boosted my interest.

It's out here next Friday. I am rather tempted. They seem to be launching it as a middle price point, and the RPS piece has boosted my interest.
    Think I can safely avoid this one, the whole series is blown out of proportion IMHO so I see no need to feed his ego any more by buying what looks to be a decidedly average game.

Oh, and in case you read this George, two things:

You're books are outrageously overpriced on the Kindle, me no likey so me no buyey
    And, what's with the R.R.?

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra View Post
    And, what's with the R.R.?
    His middle names?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

He just copied the R.R. from Tolkien to feel like a big man.

Well why not? His middle name is Raymond Richard, and he has every right to feel like a "big man," creating arguably the greatest fantasy series in modern times.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast