Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: READ ME, On posting etiquette

Exclamation READ ME, On posting etiquette

Fellow Orgers, a while back I made the post below :

Dear junior members, members & senior members,

recently some people seem to have forgotten what the Org is about.

A friendly place where everyone feels welcome, with interesting topics and discussions. A place to ask how it is that your cavelry always gets beaten by camels or how exactly you have to modify your files so elves can fight stormtroopers.

A place where people will respond in a respectful & contructive way. This is especially true for the Entrance Hall, where most new members will start.

If you haven't already, read the forum rules. If you already have, read them again. When posting, remember the rules, but just as important : use your common sense. Treat others the way you'd like to be treated yourself. If you feel something you're about to post could be taken as offensive, rephrase it or don't post it at all.

Hopefully needless to say : trolling, baiting and flaming will not be accepted. The staff has a variety of tools at their disposal to make a patrons virtual life a whole lot harder, but we don't like to use them. So please make sure there's no need for it.

If you feel offended, do not post a return-insult or a defensive post, but instead send any of the moderators a Private Message. They will act appropriately.

If you disagree with any of the above, feel free to send me a Private Message to discuss. If you think I've missed something, please post it.

-Mithrandir
    I feel the need to repeat myself and add the points below :
    When posting make sure the post is :

-not breaking the forumrules
    -constructive
    -respectful
    -pleasant to read (no caps lock, no abundance of smileys, no spam,limited text speak)
    -Does not contain (mild) swear words

If staff has decided to close your thread, issue a warning or take other actions with which you disagree, do not post in the concerning thread or in the entrance Hall! This will disrupt the thread/forum. Instead first contact the staffmember involved, if you cannot come to an agreement with him/her contact TosaInu (forum Admin) or post in the Watchtower forum.

-Mithrandir.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 10-09-2007 at 13:59.
    Abandon all hope.

Default Re: READ ME, On posting etiquette

ps: only use this thread to add ideas on posting etiquette.
    Do not use this thread to complain about staff actions.
    Abandon all hope.

Post Re: READ ME, On posting etiquette

Very well said Mithrandir. Can I suggest that you mention that the use of mild swear words is not permitted. I have noticed certain (junior) members using such words recently.

It should be clear already, but added anyway. Thanks for the addition.

Anytime the first post is edited this thread will look as if it has a new post in it.

Mithrandir
    Abandon all hope.

The Entrance Hall is not a place to increase your postcount.

Doing so while actually helping people is fine, doing so by just chucking in off topic remarks is not.

not even for worshipping camels or offering bribes to the mods, this can be done through PM
    Abandon all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir
    not even for worshipping camels or offering bribes to the mods, this can be done through PM
    **rolls up his camel worship mat and extinguishes camel dung incense**
    Last edited by caravel; 10-09-2007 at 00:26.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the last few posts in this thread? They seem to have vanished, even though the majority of them appeared to be on a sensible topic.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 10-09-2007 at 08:36.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Because --->

ps: only use this thread to add ideas on posting etiquette.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

They were actually debating the problems of text speak on the forum and whether it should be added onto the etiquette list. As far as I can see, they were not in violation of the mentioned notation. On the other hand, I do understand the deletion of the most recent two posts, which were regarding an unrealated complaint.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 10-09-2007 at 12:57.

Hello Omanes, my camels ate them.(I've deleted them).

I've added in the text-speak-bit in the original post. I want to keep this topic as clean as possible so it's easy to read for new members.

Abandon all hope.

Thanks for the reply Mithrandir - I was rather afraid that I'd done something wrong.

where do you go to meet everyone? is there anyone that can help me? i am new to forums.

ps: i read the faq and a bunch of other threads in the entrance hall. still lost!

oh, and how come i cannot see some signatures? everyone is talking baout signatures and i dont see anything.

Welcome muzz,
    Quote Originally Posted by muzz
    where do you go to meet everyone?
    To introduce yourself, feel free to make a new post in the Hail New Members Thread or in the Entrance Hall.
    is there anyone that can help me?
    Might I ask what you are enquiring about? What information you need depends upon which forum you will need to post/look in. If in doubt, this synopsis may useful for finding the said forum. If, after reading that, you still aren't quite sure, just start a thread here and the mods should move it to it's relevant section.
    oh, and how come i cannot see some signatures?
    Hmm, that's peculiar - there are no restrictions which limit members from seeing other people's signatures. Are you sure that signatures aren't disabled in your UserCP?

To check simply scroll down to the "Thread Display Options" box. At the top of the area there should be a section labelled as "Visible Post Elements". The "Show Signatures" checkbox should be checked. If it isn't, select it and then scroll down to the bottom of the page to save your changes.

If it is already selected, I can't see any reason for the problem to exist - all signatures, if the member has one, should show if the mentioned box is checked. If you still are having problems, feel free to send a PM to TosaInu, the forum administrator, who may be able to look into the problem for you.

Hope this helps, good luck, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 10-11-2007 at 16:38.

i figured out the signatures thing (people change them, so in one post they were talking about something that isn't there anymore!) i just don't want to look toooo stupid! thanks dude!

what about including a list of words we're not allowed to use? i use damn and hell a lot and i dont consider them swear words but i dont know if you do or not (gonna have to eidt 2 posts if they are:()

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

The frequency with which you use a word does not make it any more or less a swear word. Considering this site has patrons from around the world it would be a very long list to publish all the potential swear wordsand in some places the word is harmless it might be quite vulgar in another. Context and aim is important. Just imagine you are saying it in front of your parish priest, your young niece or your grandma... that way you should be going all nice and PG.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Just imagine you are saying it in front of your parish priest, your young niece or your grandma... that way you should be going all nice and PG.

Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 12-11-2007 at 02:55.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

not quite a good example, swear words must be blotted out completely. Edited it for ye.
    Mithrandir
    Blotted out completely,got it. I'll keep that in mind.
    Sorry.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 03-14-2008 at 20:54.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

I have a question but it's not really on etiquett. How do I ask a general question regarding a game or units in a game such as NTW? It seems that I can only replay to what other people have posted, can you educate me.

Thank you

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Hi Royce, in the forums, top left, just under the announcements and top bar there should be a "New Thread" button.

Hope that helps.

Thanks it worked ! I thought I had tried that but I guess I didn't it was so obvious. I'm new to Forums. Not very proficient although I've been playing Strategic War games for a long time.
    What's the best way to make friends here and get into some of the clubs?

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Hmm, the more sociable parts of the forums are the off-topics areas, in particular the gameroom and the frontroom. The gameroom is about forum games (particularly mafia style games) and the frontroom is for off topic friendly chat. The gameroom is opt-in though, so you won't be able to see it unless you ask to join.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi hi Royce.

Gameroom is a lot of fun, and you don't need to know how to play. We're very welcoming of newcomers as well.

If you're looking to get into the exclusive cliques, you must accept the Camel as your saviour. Only then can you be inducted.

pevergreen, Leader of Master Martok and Lord Mithrandir's camel stables.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    What's the best way to make friends here and get into some of the clubs?
    The gameroom, probably. Backroom is good, if you like the sorts of thing it talks about (Serious business), and the Frontroom is good as well I guess, althout it has lost it's sense of direction lately.

So how do I get to or find the gameroom?

Thanks

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    So how do I get to or find the gameroom?

Thanks
    Ask Officially apply and ye shall receive.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Blog Entries

And if you're lucky, you'll manage to get a place on the next big game to start, linked in my signature

Good Morning,

I applied to the game room and nothing...Am I missing something? Maybe I was rejected hum....

It looks like you are a member of the gameroom and should be able to post there now.

I'm just so excited to be a member of the gameroom evern though I can't find it. Must be a secret trap door that I can not find. Maybe oneday I'll fall in by accident!
    Anyway I thank you for letting me know I'm a member I just can't contain myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast