Thread: the Hourglass of Death

Default the Hourglass of Death

I'm re-discovering RTW EB with great pleasure, playing 1.2 a few years after my last try of 0.8. However, I'm more and more plagued by what I now call the Hourglass of Death (HoD) bug, since about 230 BC: upon ending a turn, the AI plays the other factions and when my next turn starts, the hourglass keeps spinning and I can't do anything short of ending the application through the task manager and re-launching the game.

I have checked the Frequently encountered issues thread, tried every trick there, including running the mod with the BI exe, but the HoD keeps appearing every 4-5 turns or so. I also tried toggling the fog of war and looking for rebellious cities but could not find any (although I admit it's a daunting task and I may have missed stuff). The only "fix" that works has been to reload a saved game exactly two turns earlier and just replay the turns. I don't even have to replay those turns very differently; it always seems to get me past the HoD, but only for it to appear again a couple of turns later.

I really enjoy the game and my campaign in particular, but I'm afraid this issue is getting too frequent now for me to keep it up. I have limited opportunities to play due to real life obligations, and I just can't afford to replay turns over and over again. As you can guess, I'm quite desperate to get any help I can get to vanquish the HoD.

Thanks in advance !

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: the Hourglass of Death

1.2 fixes applied?
    If you have no minimods installed, please upload your savegame and I'll give it a try.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Yes, all 1.2 fixes applied, and no minimods installed.

Here is a link to the uploaded save: spring_end_O.sav

Thanks in advance XSamatan, I very much appreciate your help :)

It was a script error, but it should be fixed, it allowed me to play five turns into your campaign.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    If you want to know what caused the error:
    The EBBS spawns defenders in certain central European regions, this caused the crash. I transferred the critical region's (Eburonum) ownership to the Sweboz, it should be fine now.

XSamatan

Thank you. I'm anxious to try this out, either tonight or in a couple of days. I'll let you know how it goes.

If the script creates defenders (I assume Eleutheroi) from time to time, does it mean I can expect this to happen again? Any recommendations for me on how to avoid or fix this if it happens again?

Congratulations by the way, for partaking in the creation and maintenance of one of the most immersive mods I have ever tried in my whole gaming life. RTW with EB is easily in the top 3 of my all-time favorite games.

No, that should not happen again as I transferred the critical region's (Eburonum) ownership to the Sweboz, the script won't fire again.

Have fun with your campaign!

XSamatan

I confirm that your fix worked. I have now played 2 years (8 turns) without a single glitch. Pure pleasure. Again, thank you !

Hello

After a while of not playing the game because of the same bug i just restarted, it crashes with switching turns, sometimes during attacks in several campaings i have tried. It went allright for a while but now the bug is re-apearing again. I have the 1.1 version installed. how can i install the 1.2 version with fixes and get rid of the bug it really ruins the game experience. Hopefully you can help me fix it! It would be a shame if it isn't solvable since the game is awsome. thank you in advance!

1.2 is NOT savegame compatible to 1.1; you'll have to start a new campaign if you upgrade. Nearly all hints mentioned in here will work with 1.1 too, give them a try.

If you want to install EB1.2, follow this guide.

XSamatan

rickv90, it sounds like you just started a new campaign. If so, I recommend you upgrade to 1.2, then apply all the 1.2 fixes, and finally sort out any remaining issues you encounter using the hints that XSamatan mentions above. Should you still encounter the HoD bug, come back and post here. For my part, I have not experienced a single issue since XSamatan "fixed" my game, and my campaign is going strong.

But again really, go for 1.2. It makes little sense to play a game that is not fully updated to its latest release version. Sure, it's a little frustrating to restart a campaign that you enjoy. But once the new one is underway, you'll love it. And the real pleasure of playing a game is just that - playing.

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    No, that should not happen again as I transferred the critical region's (Eburonum) ownership to the Sweboz, the script won't fire again.
    Could you tell how did you do it, as I am encountering the same problem.
    Or could you just fix my save game?

I have 1.2 version, but I do have several mini-mods: realistic movement, no-giant-trees, extended offices mod

Thanks.

I just had the same problem and it took me a while to even find this thread (...but great name "Hourglass of Death" ;)
    Silly rebels! Always cooking up some trouble...
    Btw, does anyone know why this bug happens at the start of the player's turn and not on their turn?

I have found a workaround - without changing anything in the script (since I don't even know where to start)
    Here's what I did:
    1) With help of the console teleport a diplomat to the offending city (in my case it was Eburonum)
    2) With force-diplomacy bribe all the city to join you (you may give yourself a lot of money)
    3) (Since I wasn't sure what exactly the problem is (too many units in generalor just the rebels having too many, I disbanded all the units)
    4) Teleport the diplomat to another faction
    5) with force-diplomacy give them the settlement

Worked like a charm for me. I finally could continue past the HoD and seems to be working just fine.