Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There has been too much foul language here of late.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: There has been too much foul language here of late.

For what it's worth, speaking as a mod, I hate playing language cop.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

The occasional "fark" and "shit", et. al (I won't go on) really shouldn't be an issue. If the content of the post is bad enough to cause offense then it really isn't the word itself but the underlying meaning where the issue stands. Being able to use the words signals a bit of maturity on the part of the community and if there are some guidelines about inappropriate usage such as a wall of swearing or anything directed at another person then the moderators should be more than capable of dealing with that. But the usage of an occasional strong word in the right situation can sometimes be a good part of mature conversation.

Furthermore, I am firmly on the side that being offended and stating as such does not give someone the right to enforce censorship over an entire community. Although this obviously does not extend to any racial, sexual or other forms of direct or indirect harassment.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Members thankful for this post (2):

A far worse problem is the recent trend of threads full of youtube clips...

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    A far worse problem is the recent trend of threads full of youtube clips...

Welcome in 2012.

We dance Gangnam style over here:

Perhaps we should write out a contest for best .Org Gangnam style parody

But that would be sooooo Summer 2012 and we're already November.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

If we smile and nod, the above youtube poster might just go away of his own accord...

()

Aha, we have our first submission, from a certain mister caravel aka Sarrie the Camel:

Excellent.

I'm sure @Martok would love it.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Count me towards the people who believe that not sole words are insulting but messages, sentences. Someone just using a swear word can be easily ignored, someone insulting you with something personal or claiming you to be something you aren't, can't be so easily ignored.

Still also these cannot always be moderated when you allow political, religious and moral discussions. At best though, a moderation/administration should try to prevent discussions to become too personal. Doesn't necessarily have to involve bans but temporarily closed threads may work, when a discussion becomes to heated. At an earlier state, when it becomes clear that a discussion becomes more and more personal, moderation (and/or other users!) could just remember not to derail further on this personalized discussion but go go back to the discussion of the topic.

I'm against language-filters, they are just silly and useless in my regard.

Just my two cents.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    I for one would appreciate more ruthless moderators - a distinct lack of ruthlessness led to the recent debacle which very nearly prompted me to leave and I'm only still hear because a couple of people I respect took a fair bit of time to talk me down.

If this is the mature Org site then it shouldn't include swearing - if that results in infractions and temp-bans then so be it. You can get thrown out of actual "mature" institutions for less, I was once nearly thrown out of pub for raucous drunken singing.

From what I have seen there has been a significant uptick in swearing since the policy was relaxed, this tells me it was working because editing and fear of censure kept swearing almost completely off the board - now the policy is being relaxed and people are clearly pushing the boundaries.
    There's ruthless and there's ruthless.

We've always had a tradition to be patient with "difficult" members and to give them plenty of new chances. You make a fair point when you say we should be more ruthless towards persistent troublemakers, but you shouldn't focus too much on the case where it turned out to be a complete waste of time and effort. Many of the people we showed patience to, grabbed their new chances and are now among our finest people. It our those who convince me that it wouldn't be a good idea to become the sort of forum where you get banned (permanently or for a looooong time) automatically after x infractions. I think the way we have always did it so far, is the best way: use the banhammer carefully and only after long deliberation.

Then there's ruthless for minor stuff, like a bad word, getting personal in the heat of the debate. That's where moderating turns out not to be exact science. But generally speaking, you're either very strict or not strict at all. Finding a balance is not easy. Perhaps we shifted too much to the strict side and perhaps we will now move too much towards anarchy. That's when the membership comes into play and that's why threads like these are needed. It gives us as staff a signal and acts as a learning experience/evaluation to see if we're doing something wrong or not. I can't stress enough how important feedback like this is for us and I'm truly grateful you opened this thread (allthough the outcome may not be entirely to your liking, since the vast majority of the membership doesn't seem to have an issue with the occasional bad language).

Last edited by Andres; 11-23-2012 at 14:17.

Ja mata, TosaInu

I think a lot of this needs to come from the established members, not via baby sitting. If you see swearing and you think it's out of place, then why not make that clear in any reply? What rule or regulation is stopping a member doing that? That's how the .org became what it is today - through the efforts of members over the years, not because moderators were tough on swearing. If the regulars in the backroom get together and say "let's try and keep the language to a minimum", then it will happen. Far more effective than the old moderation/censorship/slap on the wrist approach.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Personally, I was always grateful for the infractions I received, even the ones I didn't agree with.

Writing isn't speaking - there's no excuse for the sort of profane ejaculation you get in conversation on a forum. I am of the opinion that if you swear you should get one warning, then an infraction, then once the infractions build up you get a temp ban.

If I use my mobile phone on the office floor I get pulled up on a disciplinary - do it a second time and I'd be fired. Resisting the natural urge to pull it out and check my emails during a quiet half-hour is a darn site harder than not swearing here - but I manage.

If this is really a mature forum then there's no need to tolerate swearing.
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 11-23-2012 at 22:32.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

If I use my mobile phone on the office floor I get pulled up on a disciplinary - do it a second time and I'd be fired. Resisting the natural urge to pull it out and check my emails during a quiet half-hour is a darn site harder than not swearing here - but I manage.
    And why are this completly disproportionate reactions a good thing?

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Working place vs videogames/recreational forum, said mimicking a two-pan scale XD

I'm not encouraging swearing, but the way I see it, forbidding it, is just as wrong...
    If someone wants to use it as an interjection, that's just fine: you find it cheap/lazy? Point it out, during the discussion :)
    Find it offensive towards you? Get over yourself lol

Then of course, if those are specific and malicious attacks on a group/person, mods should get right on it...

Member thankful for this post:

Visor 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    And why are this completly disproportionate reactions a good thing?
    For my workplace, it's perfectly proportionate.

The point is - it has become an impulse to check your phone every fives minutes, even when you know it's off, but an adult should be able to curtail such impulses.

If Andre sticks a "no swearing, no nudity" sign on the Org door there's no reason members should not abide by that, none at all.

As far as I'm concerned the only argument against a blanket ban is mod-workload, but from waht I have seen the relaxation of the ban has lead to an uptick in swearing with the result that some, like Strike, have stepped over the now-blurry line and been temp-banned.

Let's just take a moment to consider that - a long-serving and generally well-liked Senior Member is currently serving a temp-ban for language.

When was the last time that happened?

Edit:

I should like to make two further points.

1. I don't have to pay attention to Arjos' points if he is going to be rude and laugh at me, which is connected to the issue at hand.

2. Moving this to the Watchtower has probably reduced the number of members participating in this discussion, particularly the Backroomers to whom it originally pertained. This concerns me in so far as I think it demonstrates people don't usually pay attention to the Watch Tower.
    Last edited by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus; 11-26-2012 at 02:51.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Writing isn't speaking - there's no excuse for the sort of profane ejaculation you get in conversation on a forum.
    I agree, there are no excuses for it.
    I am of the opinion that if you swear you should get one warning, then an infraction, then once the infractions build up you get a temp ban.
    Then you need to define what is and what is not swearing - internationally... you also need a team of moderators vetting every post, to edit out the swearwords and issue the infractions...
    This is not your workplace.
    If this is really a mature forum then there's no need to tolerate swearing.
    On a "mature forum", the members are supposedly mature enough not to swear, that's the point being made here.
    As far as I'm concerned the only argument against a blanket ban is mod-workload, but from waht I have seen the relaxation of the ban has lead to an uptick in swearing with the result that some, like Strike, have stepped over the now-blurry line and been temp-banned.
    Obviously there is going to be a spike in language related incidents and certain people are going to fall foul of that. The staff have always used discretion here, not black and white my way or the highway approach. My opinion is that if someone slips in a mild expletive into a post which otherwise has good content (no personal attacks or slurs), the staff should let it go - but for posts which are simply a string of bad language the post is not even worth the edit - delete it and hand out an infraction.

It's far better if members regulate their own language rather than the nappy/diaper change approach... if you like this board, like to participate here, why would you want to turn it into a cesspool? If you see some new member using foul language, why not politely remind them to moderate it? Why does a mod need to do this on a board with many mature long term members, senior members and especially in the backroom where you have a lot of regular people who have been around for years.

Let's just take a moment to consider that - a long-serving and generally well-liked Senior Member is currently serving a temp-ban for language.

When was the last time that happened?
    Who? Just because one person lacks self control, it does not mean that every member needs blanket treatment. Would the previous rules have prevented this, stopped him swearing? It would have meant a nanny running around after said member editing his posts. No one should be expecting this from the staff in 2012.
    Last edited by caravel; 11-26-2012 at 10:26.

Let's assume, for the sake of this discussion, that crossing the language line is the reason why he got temp banned (I'm not saying it is what got hm banned, disciplinary actions are always between staff and member, private).

I'm not going to impose draconic language rules and punish everybody else by forbidding even the most minor bad language (like "ass" or "piss"), because one member made a mistake. I'm also not going to punish that member for his mistake, by imposing those same draconian language rules on him as well and keeping a close eye on him in particular, with my finger on the infraction button, ready to push it at the first hint of something that resembles the f-bomb.

I simply won't do that. Mistake made, short ban triggered, after 3 days, you're welcome back and let's forget about it. Accumulate 10 temp bans in a few months time and you're an exception compared to the other members, ok, we'll talk openly, freely and blunt; in private of course. Did 50 members got temp ban after temp ban after the new rules were introduced, then clearly Andres is an idiot and needs to clean up his act or step down.

As an aside, the fact that the member in question is a "long standing senior member" is irrelevant, certainly when it comes to something silly and minor as 3-day ban for a few bad posts. The senior member title is a honorific you get for your contributions to the .Org community. It's a "thank you for all the good things you did around here". It's nice to hand out and nice to receive, but it's nothing more than that. It doesn't make you special. In fact, if you start walking next to your shoes, feeling special and thinking you are entitled to preferential treatment because you got the SM title, then you should hand it in again for missing the point about what this place is about.

And for your information: plenty of long standing (senior) members have served temp bans here before the language rules were loosened, so it's not like loosening the language rules has led to something that has never happened before In fact, with the stricter rules, there were probably more temp bans of long standing senior members than we see now with the more lenient rules.
    Last edited by Andres; 11-26-2012 at 10:47.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

I don't have to pay attention to Arjos' points if he is going to be rude and laugh at me, which is connected to the issue at hand.
    Just found funny the comparison between an office and this forum...
    As for the rest, imo it isn't healthy, nor has any ground to take offence from a random swearing, aimed at no one in particular...
    Last edited by Arjos; 11-26-2012 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    As for the rest, imo it isn't healthy, nor has any ground to take offence from a random swearing, aimed at no one in particular...
    IMO it's not simply a matter of taking offence...

For some members it's a matter of pride in the .org and it's traditions and I respect that. This is your board, everyone's board, not just the staff's, but the staff are members also.

I agree with the end to editing however, because even though it wasn't obvious, swearing was still going on, but staff were having to run about playing censor and editing it. Back when I was a mod, the majority of this would not involve infractions or would come in the form of 0 point warnings - so no incentives to stop and the result = even more editing... (luckily for me, there was virtually none of this in my section (MTW and STW) - why? Maturer members who respected their fellows and their subforum), but fellow moderators were kept quite busy).

A "relaxed" approach to language should make it all too clear. Those abusing this and seeing it as a "licence to swear" should not be surprised at all at the results...
    Last edited by caravel; 11-26-2012 at 15:23.

Guess the staff could set a bar and act accordingly. It will anger some, for how high it is and at the same time vex others, for how low it is :P
    Last edited by Arjos; 11-26-2012 at 22:57.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

et tu Phillip?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123