Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1128

Thread: Academy of Elemental Magic [Concluded]

Default Re: Academy of Elemental Magic [IN PLAY]

The only one I never suspected to be scum was our guy errr... I have unbelievable bad news, there is another one out there apart of my master of course...
    returning to the shadows.....

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riedquat View Post
    The only one I never suspected to be scum was our guy errr... I have unbelievable bad news, there is another one out there apart of my master of course...
    Don't feel bad, Riedquat. You did a wonderful job of keeping them off my back. You are truly a great deceiver.

If only you were still alive, I might make you my apprentice.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Perhaps it's a bit obvious, but I think White_eyes should be the next target. He's been buddy-buddy with Chaotix all game.
    You do realize how ridiculous this suggestion sounds?

I was already plotting to kill Chaotix before with the whole EF feet-dragging thing, but it was Visorslash who stopped me.

Funny part is...if Chaotix would have been more helping with our mis-placed vig-killing, he would have had the Water college right where he wanted us.

Senior Member Senior Member Jarema's Avatar

all right...
    the thing with Chaotix... it was (partially) a joke. He losed. He is not longer among Academy members (his retreat is equal to death)

In fact...
    orders locked, update pending

At the beginning of the next day, all Academy members gathered in a Main Hall.
    'I have good news for you' said master archivist. 'There are no more corrupted individuals among us'.
    After a of joyful shouts, White Eyes stepped forward. 'I am happy we have this matter settled. Now, there is another. All members of College of Waves agreed that it is good moment for a change. As you know, College of Flames has been annihilated. We are the strongest college. The only one that matters, in fact. Lord of Stones, lord of Air, bow before me'.
    And, to the surprise of their students, two elderly masters of elements stepped forward. Issaikhaan and Ironside knew each other for more than seven decades. They have known that they could not join forces of their colleges. Earth and Air are not allies. So, they bowed in front of young Hydromancer. Then, White Eyes said: 'It is great moment for our Academy. There is no longer need for College of Flames. There is no room for cowardly maintaining so called balance. I announce that from this day all new students will be incorporated into College of Waves. I let Colleges of Winds and Stones exist, but they will get no new recruits. And our Academy is called from now 'Academy of Eternal Oceans'.

Hydromancers victory!

Victory:
    Andres
    Edse
    El Barto
    Memnon
    Robbiecon
    Visorslash
    White Eyes

Honorary draw (or defeat, to be honest):
    Alsark
    Askthepizzaguy
    Autolycus
    Captain Blackadder
    Elite Ferret
    Ironside
    Issaikhaan
    Johnhughtom
    Montmorency
    TinCow

Defeat:
    Arjos
    BSmith
    Chaotix
    Ignoramus
    Kennigit
    LazyMcCrow
    NinjaCow
    Riedquat
    Xenoneb
    Last edited by Jarema; 12-28-2012 at 08:34.

1. Demon worshipper (SK/Thief):

Demon Worshipper (Chaotix)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Welcome in the Academy of Elemental Magic.
    You are demon worshipper who wants to kill everyone else or steal artifacts of elemental colleges and escape with them
    Alignment: anti-town
    Faction: Cult of Bhaal (you are the only member of it)
    Elemental training: fire: AV 3, DV 1; Earth: AV 1, DV 2; Water: AV 1, DV 1; Air: AV 2, DV 1.
    Corruption Score: 3 (moderately corrupted)
    Hit Points: 14/14
    Abilities:
    1. As a night action, you can steal: name a player, and you will try to steal his items
    2. If item requires night action to be used, you can use one such item as a free action every night.
    3. as a night action, you can heal amount of HP = your CS. You cannot heal twice in a row.
    4. When you kill somebody, during following night you can activate one of three auras as a free action:
    aura of false purity: you scan as if your corruption = 0
    aura of palpable corruption: every character targetting you gets 1 corruption point during next night
    aura of viciousness: your attacks deal +2 HP of damage
    Victory condition: Be the last living player, OR have all artifacts of elemental colleges (Everburning Torch, Fluid Sculpture, Gem of Invulnerability, Jar of Infinite Winds) and escape with them (escape is a night action, so you may be lynched earlier, or roleblocked, or something else)
    Corrupting town-aligned players may be beneficial, because when certain corruption level is reached, their victory conditions change...

If he used his aura of false purity last night instead of other one, he would've been scanned as innocent...
    As for stealing: if target had more than 1 item, there was 25% chance for each of them above one to be stolen in addition to one guaranteed steal

2. Cult of Defilers (Mafia)

There was no cult ever (only the name is 'cult', mechanically it is mafia).
    Mafia special abilities:
    1. Mafia members add corruption level to the AV to determine if attack hit; if target's CL is higher than mafia one, mafia doesnt add anything to AV
    2. Victim of mafia attack is diseased if his/her corruption level is lower than mafia one – suffers damage equal to half of mafia's player CL next night
    3. If mafia gets one of college's artifacts into their hands, they can corrupt them (this made them less useful for non-corrupted characters; corrupted items may also corrupt their users)

Cult Seer (Arjos)
    You are magician, member of Defilers that infiltrates Academy
    Faction: Defilers
    Elemental training: fire: AV 1, DV 1; Earth: AV 2, DV 1; Water: AV 2, DV 1; Air: AV 1, DV 1.
    Corruption Score: 2 (mildly corrupted)
    Hit Points: 9/9
    Abilities:
    1. you can scan chosen player as a night action. You choose 2 qualities to scan from following: elemental AV's. elemental DV's, HP, corruption level. For example, you may scan Jarema for his earth DV and current HP
    2. you will be informed if anyone scans you in any way
    3. you start game with Dagger of Corruption: If character wields this dagger during succesfull attack or counter-attack, victim of such attack gains 1 point of corruption
    Victory condition: At least half of living players are mafia members and there are no other scum factions in the game
    Mafia qt: http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/yeYRgJqW4arRf
    Corrupting town-aligned players may be beneficial, because when certain corruption level is reached, their victory conditions change...

never used his scan ability. I thought it would be important weapon in mafia arsenal...

Cult enforcers (Riedquat, BSmith, Kennigit - they had slightly different stats)
    You are member of the Defilers
    Faction: Defilers
    Elemental training: fire: AV 2, DV 0; Earth: AV 2, DV 0; Water: AV 0, DV 1; Air: AV 0, DV 1.
    Corruption Score: 2 (mildly corrupted)
    Hit Points: 10/10
    Abilities:
    1. you start game with 8 experience points
    Victory condition: At least half of living players are mafia members and there are no other scum factions in the game

3. College heads

Mistress Frashene, The Pyromancer (NinjaCow)
    You are Mistress Frashene, head of the College of Flames
    Alignment: town
    Faction: Pyromancers
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 5, DV 1; Earth: AV 3, DV 2; Water: AV 0, DV 1; Air: AV 3, DV 2.
    Corruption Score: 0
    Hit Points: 8/8
    Abilities:
    1. you can recruit new students (up to 5 invitations as a night action – pm me names of these students and I will send them information that they have been invited; they will decide if they want to join)
    2. you can promote students of flame to disciples of fire (up to 3 as a night action)
    3. you can promote disciples of fire into wielders of flame (one as a night action)
    4. you start game in the possession of Everburning Torch. You can give it to one of your wielders as a free action, he does not have to confirm. You can also retrieve it from one of wielders as a free action
    5. as a night action, you can scan one player and learn what is his dominant element and his corruption level
    Weakness:
    1. you are rather old. Buying any AV, DV, corruption or HP costs you twice as much as it is for other players and your HP are low
    2. you are archmage for so long, that you dont remember some basic tricks: you do not have access to wielder's abilities
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Hydromancers have been eradicated

Master Ghozough, The Geomancer (Issaikhaan)
    You are Master Ghozough, head of the College of Stones
    Faction: Geomancers
    Elemental training: fire: AV 1, DV 3; Earth: AV 5, DV 1; Water: AV 1, DV 2; Air: AV 0, DV 1
    Abilities:
    1. you can recruit new students (up to 5 invitations as a night action – pm me names of these students and I will send them information that they have been invited; they will decide if they want to join)
    2. you can promote students of stone to disciples of earth (up to 3 as a night action)
    3. you can promote disciples of earth into wielders of stone (one as a night action)
    4. you start game in the possession of Gem of Invulnerability. You can give it to one of your wielders as a free action, he does not have to confirm. You can also retrieve it from one of wielders as a free action
    5. as a night action, you can scan one player and learn what is his dominant element and his corruption level
    Weakness:
    1. you are rather old. Buying any AV, DV, corruption or HP costs you twice as much as it is for other players and your HP are low
    2. you are archmage for so long, that you dont remember some basic tricks: you do not have access to wielder's abilities
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Aeromancers have been eradicated

Master Bildoboone, The Hydromancer (Andres)
    You are Master Bildoboone, head of the College of Waves
    Faction: Hydromancers
    Elemental training: fire: AV 0, DV 2; Earth: AV 0, DV 2; Water: AV 5, DV 1 Air: AV 0, DV 2.
    Abilities:
    2. you can promote students of wave to disciples of water (up to 3 as a night action)
    3. you can promote disciples of water into wielders of wave (one as a night action)
    4. you start game in the possession of Fluid Sculpture. You can give it to one of your wielders as a free action, he does not have to confirm. You can also retrieve it from one of wielders as a free action
    Weakness:
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Pyromancers have been eradicated

Mistress Eada, The Aeromancer (Ironside, was Montmorency)
    You are Mistress Eada, head of the College of Winds
    Faction: Aeromancers
    Elemental training: fire: AV 1, DV 3; Earth: AV 0, DV 1; Water: AV 1, DV 2; Air: AV 5, DV 2
    Abilities:
    2. you can promote students of wind to disciples of air (up to 3 as a night action)
    3. you can promote disciples of air into wielders of wind (one as a night action)
    4. you start game in the possession of Jar of Infinite Winds. You can give it to one of your wielders as a free action, he does not have to confirm. You can also retrieve it from one of wielders as a free action
    Weakness:
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Geomancers have been eradicated

4. Starting wielders

Wielder of flame (Ignoramus)
    You are wielder of flame, member of the College of Flames
    Faction: Pyromancers
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 3, DV 1; Earth: AV 1, DV 2; Water: AV 0, DV 2; Air: AV 1, DV 1.
    Abilities:
    1. you can recruit new students (up to 2 invitations as a night action – pm me names of these students and I will send them information that they have been invited; they will decide if they want to join)
    2. you can promote students of flame to disciples of fire (1 as a night action)
    3. as a night action, you can cleanse corruption of one target: corrupted character loses one corruption point per 3 points of yours fire AV. Target is also dealt one point of damage per corruption point cleansed
    4. you can buy fire AV with discount of 1 XP
    5. you can use Everburning Torch
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Hydromancers have been eradicated

Wielder of Stone (Autolycus)
    You are wielder of stone, member of the College of Stones
    Faction: Geomancers
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 1, DV 2; Earth: AV 3, DV 2; Water: AV 1, DV 1; Air: AV 0, DV 2.
    Abilities:
    1. you can recruit new students (up to 2 invitations as a night action – pm me names of these students and I will send them information that they have been invited; they will decide if they want to join)
    2. you can promote students of stone to disciples of earth (1 as a night action)
    3. as a night action, you can protect one person: target gets 1 point of damage less from every attack per 2 points of yours earth AV
    4. you can buy earth AV with discount of 1 XP
    5. you can use Gem of Invulnerability
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Aeromancers have been eradicated

Wielder of wave (Edse)
    You are wielder of wave, member of the College of Waves
    Faction: Hydromancers
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 0, DV 1; Earth: AV 1, DV 2; Water: AV 3, DV 2; Air: AV 1, DV 2.
    Abilities:
    2. you can promote students of wave to disciples of water (1 as a night action)
    3. as a night action, you can heal one person – healed character regains 1 HP per 2 points of yours water AV
    4. you can buy water AV with discount of 1 XP
    5. you can use Fluid Sculpture
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Pyromancers have been eradicated

Wielder of wind (Montmorency, was Ironside)
    You are wielder of wind, member of the College of Winds
    Faction: Aeromancers
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 1, DV 1; Earth: AV 0, DV 2; Water: AV 1, DV 1; Air: AV 3, DV 2.
    Abilities:
    2. you can promote students of wind to disciples of air (1 as a night action)
    3. as a night action, you can cast haste on one person: – targeted player gets +1 to all DV per 2 points of yours air AV, but only for purpose of determining if attack hit (not damage), and +1 to all AV per 2 points of yours air AV, but only for purpose of determining if counter attack hit
    4. you can buy air AV with discount of 1 XP
    5. you can use Jar of Infinite Winds
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, Geomancers have been eradicated

5. Unaligned townies

Easterlings (ATPG, El Barto)
    You are young student from the eastern part of Empire. You have some experience in hard work on the rye fields.
    Faction: unaligned
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 0 DV 1; Earth: AV 1 DV 1; Water: AV 2 DV 0; Air AV 0 DV 0.
    Hit Points: 12/12
    Abilities:
    1. you and your brother know each other well. At the begining of the game, you know that the other is innocent
    2. you start game with 5 XP
    Weakness:
    1. Academy authorities are aware of your strong bond and does not want it to be more important than other afiliations for you. Therefore, by their decree, you cant both join the same college of magic
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, you survive to the end of game
    Easterlings qt:

I was thinking their will be more powerful with their qt

North Man (Xenoneb, Visorslash)
    You are young student from the north part of Empire. In this region, farmers sometimes have to fight with forces of chaos, fighting is not new thing for you. You have also been touched by corruption during skirmishes with orc bands
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 1 DV 2; Earth: AV 0 DV 0; Water: AV 1 DV 2; Air: AV 0 DV 2.
    Corruption Score: 1
    Hit Points: 12/12
    Abilities:
    1. you start game with 5 XP
    Victory condition: All threats to the Academy are eliminated, you survive to the end of game

Young pupil/vanilla townie (rest of players). Different stats for different players, but similar in magnitude
    You are young student from one of the Empire core cities. You have not chosen path for your elemental training yet.
    Elemental training: Fire: AV 0 DV 1; Earth: AV 0 DV 2; Water: AV 1 DV 0; Air: AV 2 DV 0.
    Abilities:
    1. beginners luck: first attack that would otherwise kill you, reduces your HP to 1 instead. If you join any college of magic, you will lose this ability. It is one-time only ability
    2. you start game with 5 XP

Due to low number of players, some roles were not used (for example, city-dweller - person born in town, able to steal items from others, or Westerling - I do not remember what his role was)

Information about items. Almost all of them had hidden quality.

Everburning Torch
    Everburning Torch could be used (by wielder of flame or the Pyromancer) every night for one of following actions:
    improve fire AV of attacker by 1 (not a separate action)
    get ability to scan attacked character (not a separate action)
    made targeted character (any) immune to any elements different than fire, i. e. Everburning Torch protects against water, air & earth based attacks, and makes immune to healing, protecting and haste (this use counts as a night action)
    track targeted character (any) if his dominant element is fire, or learns that he cannot be tracked because his dominant element is not fire (this use counts as a night action)
    heal user for amount of HP equal to his/her fire DV (this use counts as a night action)
    Hidden properties: if used for second time to protect the same character, it only seems that this character is protected; if used by moderately (or more) corrupted character to scan, it always gives result of 'utterly corrupted'

Gem of Invulnerability
    Gem of Invulnerability could be used (by wielder of stone or the Geomancer) every night for one of following actions:
    improve earth AV of attacker by 1 (not a separate action)
    made targeted character (any) immune to any elements different than earth, i. e. Gem of Invulnerability protects against water, fire & air based attacks, and makes immune to healing, cleansing and haste (this use counts as a night action)
    track targeted character (any) if his dominant element is earth, or learns that he cannot be tracked because his dominant element is not earth (this use counts as a night action)
    heal user for amount of HP equal to his/her earth DV (this use counts as a night action)
    Hidden properties: if used for second time to protect the same character, it only seems that this character is protected; if used by moderately (or more) corrupted character to scan, it always gives result of 'utterly corrupted'

Fluid Sculpture
    Fluid Sculpture could be used (by wielder of wave or the Hydromancer) every night for one of following actions:
    improve water AV of attacker by 1 (not a separate action)
    made targeted character (any) immune to any elements different than water, i. e. Fluid Sculpture protects against fire, air & earth based attacks, and makes immune to cleansing, protecting and haste (this use counts as a night action)
    track targeted character (any) if his dominant element is water, or learns that he cannot be tracked because his dominant element is not water (this use counts as a night action)
    heal user for amount of HP equal to his/her water DV (this use counts as a night action)

Jar of Infinite Winds
    Jar of Infinite Winds could be used (by wielder of wind or the Aeromancer) every night for one of following actions:
    improve air AV of attacker by 1 (not a separate action)
    made targeted character (any) immune to any elements different than air, i. e. Jar of Infinite Winds protects against water, fire & earth based attacks, and makes immune to healing, protecting and cleansing (this use counts as a night action)
    track targeted character (any) if his dominant element is air, or learns that he cannot be tracked because his dominant element is not air (this use counts as a night action)
    heal user for amount of HP equal to his/her air DV (this use counts as a night action)

Dagger of corruption
    If character wields this dagger during succesfull attack or counter-attack, victim of such attack gains 1 point of corruption

Shield of True Purity
    adds + 1 to all DV's of player holding it that are lower than 4. If the holder of the Shield has no corruption points, corruption of attacker is ignored (attacker does not make additional damage because of his/her corruption). If player holding the Shield performs defense action, it adds +1 to all DV's even if they are 4 or higher

Elemental potions
    muddy one give +1 to earth and water DV; steamy one +1 to air and fire DV, both for 2 nights. Hidden property: they corrupt user for 1 point each

Jade Katana
    This blade functions differently for characters with different levels of corruption.
    If your corruption level is „uncorrupted”, then it adds + 1 to any attack AV, and additional +2 damage against target with corruption level of „utterly corrupted”.
    If your corruption level is „utterly corrupted”, then it adds +1 to any attack AV, and additional +2 damage against target with corruption level of „uncorrupted”.
    If your corruption level is between this two, it just adds +1 to any attack AV

Lenses of Elemental Vision
    As a night action, user can scan another character. It gives information about target's AV and DV in element chosen by user, and information about target's corruption level. Only members of the colleges can use this item, but students will not get info about corruption. Only wielders or masters can use it fully effectively (get numbers, not estimations of them)
    Hidden property: if corrupted character (CS at least 2, i. e. not uncorrupted) uses lenses for scanning, he would get false corruption raport: every one will scan as utterly corrupted; he would get correct result on element AV and DV
    The lense's hidden property messed with town a lot...

Spectral Hand
    As a FREE action, user can try to steal item from one target. If the target has any item, it is stolen and Hand is destroyed. If target has no items, hand can be used another time
    Hidden property: if character uses Hand succesfully, he gains 1 point of corruption

Wands of haste, healing, protecting and cleansing
    each of them allow casting appropriate spell. Anyone can use it. Using wand is an action, it also costs 1 HP.
    Hidden property: if user has less than 5 corruption points, he gains one; if target has less than 5 corruption points, he gains one (with exception of the wand of cleansing); character will get only 1 CP if he is both user and target
    Never used by anyone

Figurine of wondrous power
    it allows you to sent message to any other player; remember to include me as a recipient of such message. It can be used multiple times.
    Hidden property: after sending message to or from utterly corrupted player, figurine will become corrupted itself. From this moment, recipients of messages will get 1 point of corruption.
    would be better if I give this item to the town earlier
    Last edited by Jarema; 12-28-2012 at 10:44.

mafia qt:
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/yeYRgJqW4arRf

colege's qts:
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/kP6dAiJuKuW3
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/2Yt2D4b4bnhQk
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/uUCXjydrkbQQ
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/4tKdMcRy2z3jj
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/tDcqMFhU6ij
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/EMng2nmkBreYy
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/iKW8T8SJdjHu
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/AiwJRkBvTLa

Easterlings qt:
    http://www.quicktopic.com/48/H/mcVvk8eFxrLe

Mafia special:
    when only one mafia member was alive, he had to choose one of 2 ways. Both of them gave significant bonuses, but it was in fact too late for him...
    Kennigit, as a last living member of Defilers you have to make special choice:
    either give up to the despair (must attack someone every night, automatically gain one corruption point every night and heal 1 HP every night)
    or try to preach credo of Defilers (as a free action scan someone to see if he/she is severly or utterly corrupted; if target is severly corrupted, during next night his corruption can be raised to utterly corrupted state as a night action; if target is utterly corrupted, as a night action he may be converted to Defilers; only one player can be ever converted that way); if you choose the second option you will learn more about corruption effect on innocent players
    Information that college masters get at the beginning of the game:
    Information for college masters:
    you have one wielder under your leadership, and you hold a sacred artifact. There is no guarantee that wielder that works with you is not a scum.
    Colleges of magic:
    1. There are following ranks in each college, each with its own benefits:
    student (of flame, wind, wave or stone). He has ability to conduct coordinated attacks, together with other members of his college. Gets access to College qt.
    disciple (of fire, air, water, or earth). Can buy AV in college's element with discount of 1 XP (pays 5 for AV 6 for example).
    wielder (of flame, wind, wave or stone). Can recruit new students, or promote them to disciples. Can use college's artifact if Master/Mistres handles it to him. Gets ability specific to college:
    wielders of flame get ability to cleanse corruption
    wielders of stone get ability to protect
    wielders of wave get ability to heal
    wielders of wind get ability to haste
    Master/Mistress. While all members of College of Flame are collectively known as Pyromancers, only its Mistress is adressed as the Pyromancer. Can recruit new students, promote them to disciples, and promote disciples to wielders. Can use college's artifact. As a free action, can give artifact to one of wielders. Can scan one player during night and learn about his dominant element and corruption level. If he/she dies, new one can be appointed from ranks of wielders (chosen by voting)
    2. Each college has one sacred artifact. At the begining of game, it is at hands of college Master/Mistress. Forces of corruption and depravity would gladly get this artifacts into their hands

Special: each master/mistress is rather old person. Buying any AV, DV, corruption or HP costs them twice as much of XP as it is for other players, but they have high starting numbers in AV's and DV's.

And the most important mechanic that never worked to its fullest, corruption:
    When player is moderately corrupted, ALL his scanning actions brings result of utterly corrupted.
    Player becomes utterly corrupted when he has at least 6 points of corruption AND number of them exceeds his HP.
    When player is severly or utterly corrupted, he must attack someone every night.
    When non-scum player is utterly corrupted, his VC changes forever. Every utterly corrupted player forever stays utterly corrupted, even if his number of corruption points drops later.
    VC of utterly corrupted player: you are scum-related survivor. In order to win a game, you must survive to the end of game and one of scum factions must be victorious. If all both original scum factions are eliminated, you become faction of you own and can win only if you eliminate ALL other player.
    Examples (for purposes of this examples, let's suppose there are 2 mafia teams). Alive players: you, one member of mafia A, one member of mafia B, three town players. Scenarios:
    1. mafia A is lynched, you can win with mafia B
    2. mafia B is lynched, you can win with mafia A
    3. town is eliminated, you can win if you survive long enough to see one of mafias eliminated
    4. both mafia players are eliminated, you must kill all town players

Reasons of corruption:
    1. Corrupting attack (starting mafia's item property)
    2. Serial killer aura
    3. Killing someone as a result of night action (only if player is not utterly corrupted) – 2 points of corruption if player's corruption is 1 or 0.
    4. Participating in lynch of innocent (only if player's corruption level is 0)
    5. various items
    6. training (XP expenditure)
    Last edited by Jarema; 12-28-2012 at 10:32.

Some comments on the game (will write more here later):

1. Game was balanced around idea of fight between colleges. Without it, it was too hard for scum. At least, harder than I intended it to be. So, if someone says something like 'my college lost the game, but in fact I won because I was townie and we catched all the scum', I disagree. That person 'won' easier game that this one was supposed to be. All abilities of college members were strong, and balanced (in my mind at least) by the fact, that they HAD TO fight with each other

2. I feel a little bit sorry for the mafia. I think they made strategically bad decision about not joining colleges. For me, it was obvious that they should do it. But I have known whole setting; probably it was not so obvious from they point of view. Anyway, after not joining the colleges they were easy targets (and compare it with Chaotix)

3. I had to make few decisions during the game. The first ones, made on day one, might have the largest impact on the game. First, I agree for swapping roles between Montmorency and Ironside. I had to follow it by givving all college heads information, that their starting wielder is guaranteed innocent at the game start. Second, I agreed for creation of 'lower tie' qt's for each college. In order to balance this pro-town advantage, I decided that all items (with exception of Shield of True Purity and Jade Katana) will have some hidden effects, detrimental to the town-aligned user; I also added such effect to the college artifacts.

4. I totaly forgot about one of mafia abilities: Victim of mafia attack is diseased if his/her corruption level is lower than mafia one – suffers damage equal to half of mafia's player CL next night. I realised it after few days, and decided to not use it at all. I want to thank Montmorency, with whom I discussed it a little, and other players who were ready to help me with that case if they should.

5. I do not use infallable scanners in my games (well, with one exception: if there are lot of scanners, some of them may be infallable, like one of every four). I always use millers, framers, godfathers or something like that (or something different). In this game, I had a lot of scanners: mafia scanner, four college heads (new college heads also get this ability), and scanning item. On the other side: moderately (or more) corrupted college heads will get false results, Lenses were not working well, SK could use aura to conceal his corruption, townies might become more corrupted than mafia.... Also, some townies started game as corrupted as mafia seer.
    Well, it does not work as intended. Mafia was wiped easily with (a little lucky) use of scans.

6. I believe that the best course of action for mafia would be to sit quiet, infiltrate colleges, and do not kill anyone... at least for some time. That way, they would be less corrupted than townies. But, well, mafia players diod not knew whole setting.
    Last edited by Jarema; 12-28-2012 at 09:45.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Thanks for the game Jarema, I had a load of fun with it!

One thing is still bugging me, though - what was up with the Elemental Lens? The way it worked was certainly helpful to me in-game, but I couldn't figure what was actually going on with it. What were its real functions?
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

I will post it soon

EDIT: info on items added
    Last edited by Jarema; 12-28-2012 at 10:03.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Neato! I'm still claiming this as a town victory, as a whole. Bad luck, defilers. And.. an interesting game setup, Jarema. I wasn't sure on this game, to be quite honest, but it ended up working itself out in the end. Town was, honestly, a bit overpowered though. The college mechanic was interesting, might be worth another look in another game. My only quibble at the moment was the general prohibition on PM'ing, but perhaps that was wise, in the end, as a safeguard against proper town cooperation. Hmm...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Thank you Jarema ^^
    I definitely appreciated all the effort put in this game!

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I think this game serves as the finest example of why detectives are .

I loathe detectives and all the rest of you should too. You should trust your gut over some scan any day.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post

I loathe detectives and all the rest of you should too. You should trust your gut over some scan any day.
    Otoh, it was my scans that led to multiple scum lynches... however, I admit to being over-reliant on them, and it was my gut that got me investigating them in the first place. I felt bad every time I scanned, like I was kicking a puppy. A puppy that showered me with candy every second kick...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Member thankful for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by issaikhaan View Post
    Town was, honestly, a bit overpowered though.
    I still think it would not be overpowered, if all players honestly try to fulfill their victory conditions...
    I see now it is hard to do it, as town players see fighting mafia as more important than other thing. So it was my mistake to think about town in-fights as a very strong balancing factor; at best, it was a weak balancing factor. Therefore I agree, mafia was underpowered a bit. OTOH, there was 4 of them, and possibly more... Lack of town fights resulted not only in concentration at lynching scum, but also in low corruption level in general.. It has 2 effects at least: 1. mafia easier to spot with scans, due to higher corruption than town. 2. change in the victory conditions due to high corruption never happened to anyone

Also, see 'mafia special' ((I still update earlier posts). And wait for info on corruption.
    Last edited by Jarema; 12-28-2012 at 10:29.

Lets assume that mafia managed to exist little longer, and corrupted one player to 'utterly corrupted;' status with their item (and maybe with help of SK aura).
    What would it be, if ATPG (or, better, Issaikhaan) suddenly have VC like that?
    VC of utterly corrupted player: you are scum-related survivor. In order to win a game, you must survive to the end of game and one of scum factions must be victorious. If all both original scum factions are eliminated, you become faction of you own and can win only if you eliminate ALL other player.

It could change the course of this game.

So we are back to two main things (IMO):
    1. no college wars, so lower corruption and time to concentrate on scum catching
    2. mafia members would do better if they try to keep low profile (no night kills!) and have one member in every college. I was thinking about mafia players having information of every action of every college in the game...

I want to thank all active players for their time and effort.

I also want to thank all players for signing into my game, I thought it would be good to have some 'bodies' to kill, so I am grateful to players who agreed to join albeit their knew they will not be very active

Hosting this game was a great pleasure (and a great PITA at times), and I learned a lot about being a host.

I plan to make sequel of this game in future (if I found enough willing players). This time, with simplified mechanic (stro0ngly simplified). It would be continuation of this game (College of Waves will rule the Academy, there would be underground movement wanting to re-instale College of Flames)

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by issaikhaan View Post
    Otoh, it was my scans that led to multiple scum lynches... however, I admit to being over-reliant on them, and it was my gut that got me investigating them in the first place. I felt bad every time I scanned, like I was kicking a puppy. A puppy that showered me with candy every second kick...
    Yes, when you put it that way. We all know that scanning can be a powerful weapon.

But we also saw that scans can be misused, untrustworthy.

I am a bit reluctant to rely too heavily on scans and in the back of my mind I'm always double-checking whether I believe the supposed scanner, the scan-ee, and the reactions of the people involved. But even with my skepticism, I didn't think I'd ever be in a situation where I disbelieved my own scan.

Edse really talked me down from my own scan, just by being himself and answering honestly. There was a truth that shone in his responses that made me doubt the scan result, and that factored with the "utterly corrupted" which was more corrupted than any scum we'd scanned thusfar, told me that something was askew.

I honestly can't recall another time, unless it's an innocent scan in a godfather game, where I've ever actively distrusted a scan over my own gut reaction.

I guess I like mafia because it keeps surprising me. It's never the same old game.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Man, water had crazy recruitment. I never expected earth to be that small.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarema View Post
    So we are back to two main things (IMO):
    1. no college wars, so lower corruption and time to concentrate on scum catching
    2. mafia members would do better if they try to keep low profile (no night kills!) and have one member in every college. I was thinking about mafia players having information of every action of every college in the game...
    The early losses of high profile guildies really slowed the guild war idea down. I mean I wasn't prepared to start any kind of guild war until I ordered the attack on Auto because getting a stable, reliable guild with a proper amount of members took that long. Really, the phases of a guild in this game are recruit, consolidate, search and destroy. Tracking down the other guild takes quite a long time.

Had Monty and Tincow survived, you'd your guild war (with rotation and tracking, so pinning down the ones who gone crazy wouldn't take that long ).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    (with rotation and tracking, so pinning down the ones who gone crazy wouldn't take that long ).
    yeah, shame for those who became corrupted. But for mafia, ideal situation - someone else in at the spotlight... and mafia can fulfill their goals then by simply participating in college-sanctioned kills... maybe manipulating colelges from inside to spare their scum partners

anyway, game went another way. And it also was interesting to watch for me (Chaotix almost made it - he had 2 college items, and knew owners of another two or at least one)

Edse really talked me down from my own scan, just by being himself and answering honestly. There was a truth that shone in his responses that made me doubt the scan result, and that factored with the "utterly corrupted" which was more corrupted than any scum we'd scanned thusfar, told me that something was askew.
    It was really interesting to watch you fight for Edse's life against your own scan result.
    Doubting your own scan was also, for me, new proof of your high mafia-playing ability

I guess I like mafia because it keeps surprising me. It's never the same old game.
    Beautiful :OrsonWellesclapping:

I should not have voted the Water Wand to Elite Ferret

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Man, water had crazy recruitment. I never expected earth to be that small.
    We actually sent less invitations then you did

There were two distinct recruitment methods, mass invitation used by Water and Air and careful recruitment used by Fire and Earth.

I did a nice little table, numbers are night they got promoted (1 number = student, 2 numbers = disciple, 3 numbers = wielder)

Andres NinjaCow64 Issaikhaan Ironside Arjos Xenoneb
    edse Ignoramus autolycus Montmorency BSmith Memnon
    White_eyes 1 3 6 LazyMcCrow 3 johnhughtom 2 3 4 TinCow 1 3 4 Riedquat
    Visorslash 1 3 8 ATPG 1 3 6 Kennigit
    Chaotix 1 3 Elite Ferret 2 3 9
    El Barto 1 Alsark 5
    Robbiecon 2 Captain Blackadder 5

Yeah, trust your gut and try and lynch your whole, innocent, college. The only one you didn't accuse of being scum was Captain Blackadder.

At least I managed to save Ironside in the end, although it was a bit annoying to be lynched for suggesting that all he involved parties were innocent, seeing as it was actually true...

I won't be forgetting edse-gate for a long, long time. If it wasn't for that and the fire college's sudden dissapearance I'm sure the aeromancers would have had a decent shout at a win. I got the feeling we were just about to go on all out attack mode before everything got incrediby messy.

I nearly didn't join this game, due to the fact that I hate the idea of magic, but I sure am glad I did. This was one of the most intricate and intriguing games I've ever played. Thanks for hosting Jarema!

Congratulations town!! I was really worried there were another scum left... and as you can see I didn't lie so much...

I never enjoyed a game so much while being dead. No, wait! I never enjoyed myself so much in any game! Thanks for hosting Master Jarema!

Still I think we were a bit underpowered, we all attacked Chaotix same night and he survived...
    returning to the shadows.....

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Earth only had three people?! GAH! I thought there were 5ish Dirtmongers, I would have urged attacks far earlier if I had known how small you guys were.

Re: College War, I think this is a very difficult thing to achieve. Many games have used the divided town mechanic, but very few of them have resulted in any serious, intentional town infighting. I think that part of the problem is that if you tell a player they are a townie, most of the time they are going to prioritize their victory conditions as (1) kill mafia and (2) achieve secondary victory. In addition, it's very difficult to intentionally stop hunting for mafia and only look for the opposing townies. Such a redirection in priority can be noticed by other townies and looks scummy, so even for those townies who are interested in killing the other side, it's still in their interests to continue actively looking for scum all the time. This tends to achieve the same result as a united town hunting for scum.

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riedquat View Post
    Congratulations town!! I was really worried there were another scum left... and as you can see I didn't lie so much...

I never enjoyed a game so much while being dead. No, wait! I never enjoyed myself so much in any game! Thanks for hosting Master Jarema!

Still I think we were a bit underpowered, we all attacked Chaotix same night and he survived...
    Cognrats to anyone, because even the best of setups can be derailed by crappy players.

Oh, and wewinwewinwewinkumquatloseswewinwinwin!
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

Re: College War, I think this is a very difficult thing to achieve. Many games have used the divided town mechanic, but very few of them have resulted in any serious, intentional town infighting. I think that part of the problem is that if you tell a player they are a townie, most of the time they are going to prioritize their victory conditions as (1) kill mafia and (2) achieve secondary victory. In addition, it's very difficult to intentionally stop hunting for mafia and only look for the opposing townies. Such a redirection in priority can be noticed by other townies and looks scummy, so even for those townies who are interested in killing the other side, it's still in their interests to continue actively looking for scum all the time. This tends to achieve the same result as a united town hunting for scum.
    yeah, after this game my opinion is exactly as yours. Now I know, that if I really want in-town war, I must design something new in order to achieve it, not just establish certain victory conditions.

I forgot to post one more thing (well, maybe I forgot about more of them?): descriptions
    As I am bad at creating them, I had prepared list of what should be shown in them before I startet the game. I tried to stick to this

if attack hits only due to corruption, it would be described ( not necessarilly very obvious); corruption would be described as warped forms of element – dirty, mis-shapen, etc.
    Like: attacker tried to hit Jarema with bolt of flame but missed. He waved his hand, and flame, now blackened, attacked once more.

In case of demon worshipper corruption would be described as praying to demons, faces looking from fire, voices in the flames, etc., (as if elements were possessed with malignant spirits) even though he has no bonus to attack. His attacks will be always descripted with such elements

element used would be described
    number of attackers would be described

wounds would be described in 3 categories: scratch, light wound (up to 3 HP), moderate/severe wound (3-4 HP and more), heavy, almost lehtal wound (half of maximum HP or more)

Corruption would not be described on counter-attacks

Blog Entries

Earth only had three people?! GAH! I thought there were 5ish Dirtmongers, I would have urged attacks far earlier if I had known how small you guys were.

I wuv you too, TinCow.

No, I had auto do invites for the first two nights. When that netted us only JHT, I said "screw it" and closed ranks, deciding to just accept a smaller, concentrated school which I could trust and verify as innocent. This also allowed me to actually focus on scum hunting, which I sorta figured was my job, since I had a scanning power. In retrospect, this was a smart decision, insofar as the game mechanics were concerned- if the defilers hadn't gotten killed so fast, they could have easily infiltrated the ranks of air or water and screwed their whole processes over with leaked information. Didn't obviously work out that way, but I still have no regrets over my decision.

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast