Thread: What the hell?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default What the hell?

Who's going around merging distinct threads into this big unorganised mess?

The Thread on Brexit negotiations has been merged into the "Brexit Thread" and the one I started on the Turkish Referendum has just been merged into the "Turkey thread."

How is clumping all this stuff together helpful, especially when you may well be crossing several conversations over and muddling everything up?

I can't imagine that makes it easier to moderate, quite the contrary because you'll get people discussing different topics in one thread.

Consider me officially annoyed.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Member thankful for this post:

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: What the hell?

I blame Husar
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I suspect Beskar.

Members thankful for this post (2):

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Technically, the topic would be related to the umbrella of Brexit, instead of 4 different topics on Brexit, which are essentially the same arguments and points. Though as I say that, the thread discussing Brexit Negotiation is currently discussing Italian Arms Industry, NATO, Syria, and you calling Montmorency obtuse... so you got a point about merging that with a topic on Brexit being a bad idea as people are indeed discussing many other topics within it.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Technically, the topic would be related to the umbrella of Brexit, instead of 4 different topics on Brexit, which are essentially the same arguments and points. Though as I say that, the thread discussing Brexit Negotiation is currently discussing Italian Arms Industry, NATO, Syria, and you calling Montmorency obtuse... so you got a point about merging that with a topic on Brexit being a bad idea as people are indeed discussing many other topics within it.
    We are actually discussing the exit now though, it is a different topic.

I think you're suffering from backwards thinking.

Instead of splitting the thread after Article 50 is triggered and the negotiating positions begin to coalesce you react to a member's attempt to re-start a coherent discussion by merging the new thread back into the old mess.

It's about as sensible as telling a drunk he can't get sober and locking him in a brewery unsupervised.

Sorry, but that's honestly about as much sense as this makes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I suggest blending everything into "Discussing things" thread. After that we won't need moderating any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Members thankful for this post (6):

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

PFH for moderator!

Down with tyranny of B and H.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I believe, as Jehovah is my witness, that this whole thread is going to be shuffled off to the Watchtower.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Sigurd 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I believe, as Jehovah is my witness, that this whole thread is going to be shuffled off to the Watchtower.
    Only if the moderators are Awake!

Members thankful for this post (2):

Moderation is like the immune system, if it gets too bored because there are not enough nasty posts to edit and warning points to be handed out, it develops allergies and begins to attack things that aren't really problematic. The real problem is that all of you don't get angry enough to collect warning points. You only have yourselves to blame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Members thankful for this post (3):

Just merge everything into one whole thread and have live reloading on 20 different screens viewable from a VR headset like in Ghost in the Shell. I want my future.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Beskar 

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    PFH for moderator!

Down with tyranny of B and H.
    As flattering as this may be, I seriously doubt you'd enjoy my Dictatorship more - no swearing, no snarky comments...

Besides, I know how much Strike wants the job and I could never take it before him.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

As your resident absentee admin, I would be more than happy to turn up the tyranny if you would all like. I mean might as well play the part, right?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

It might happen that the Watchtower is gonna be shuffled somewhere or blended with something.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus Flavius Homovallumus View Post
    As flattering as this may be, I seriously doubt you'd enjoy my Dictatorship more - no swearing, no snarky comments...

Besides, I know how much Strike wants the job and I could never take it before him.
    Don't tempt me, I will make both of you moderators, just to see what happens.

I think that explains why God gave mankind free-will. he was bored and he just liked to see what kind of things we would get up to when he left people to their own devices in his personal playpen.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    It might happen that the Watchtower is gonna be shuffled somewhere or blended with something.
    Actually, I was punning. The Watchtower is a Jehovah's Witnesses publication. As is Awake, hence Pannonian's riposte.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Actually, I was punning. The Watchtower is a Jehovah's Witnesses publication. As is Awake, hence Pannonian's riposte.
    Should have suggested moving the thread to the Frontroom, the Kingdom Hall of Love and Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    The organs don't need to be connected for it to be a system, what are you talking about?
    You sound like you're saying the human body is not a system because the left foot is not directly connected to the right foot.
    They are - via bones and muscles. In case of "immune system"organs, no such chain is in evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Should have suggested moving the thread to the Frontroom, the Kingdom Hall of Love and Peace.
    Knowing your obsession with Orwell I would guess you consider Backroom the Hall of Truth.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

It's fantastic how this evolved from a thread about moderating to science.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?