Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB Roman Music Preview (Musica Romana)

Default EB Roman Music Preview (Musica Romana)

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans.

Today we have another big announcement for the mod!

Musica Romana
    is allowing Europa Barbarorum the use of some of the songs from their albums Mesomedes and Symphonia Panica, in addition to work from their upcoming album, Pugnate! They will be heard while playing as the Roman faction, and will primarily impact the campaign or strat map portion of the game, though one of their songs is well suited for the battle map also. Their music, like that of Prehistoric Music Ireland for the barbarian music, will be used in addition to the wonderful soundtrack we already have, composed and performed by Morgan Casey and Nick Wylie.

In addition to the announcement itself, we are excited to be able to provide you with a lot more detail about the group and its work on Roman Music through a special interview with its director.

Teleklos: We are very glad to be talking today with Susanna Rühling, founder and director of Musica Romana, to give you all a little more information on the group and how they strive to recreate ancient Roman music in a modern setting. Thanks for taking the time to join us Susanna!
    Susanna: Thank you and Salvete!

Teleklos: I would first like to ask how the group came together. Did you all know each other already or did people come together from different places to form the group?
    Susanna: Well, yes, because people who are in this field are very rare. We have an archaeologist, diplomad musicians, musicologists, ethnologists, and teachers in our group. I myself have an archaeology M.A.

Teleklos: We list above in the announcement the names and locations of all the group members and it is easy to see that many of them are from different cities, my question is how often each year do you meet to perform or record? And also, is this a full-time job or do most of the group members have other jobs outside of the group?
    Susanna: For two of us it's a full-time job, because beside concerts, recordings, rehearsals, and building the instruments, we still need to research a lot and to publish it. Other members work in museums or as teachers. I guess we play (public and private) around 30 to 40 concerts a year.

Teleklos: That's a lot of performances! Ok, now let's move on to the ancient part!
    I think many of our fans would be very interested in hearing a little about how we know today what we know about ancient Roman music. Is it mostly from archaeology or ancient texts or surviving remnants in any other cultures' music?
    Susanna:It's more clear than medieval music to most of us. For example, few people know that there was an ancient form of notation and we luckily have nearly 70 pieces of music that survived, in various states, from ancient Greece and Rome. Mostly they are presented as Greek music as the texts are always in ancient Greek, but for example Mesoemedes of Crete was a kithara-player and composor at Hadrian´s court in the 2nd century AD, and he left some pieces of music for us to play with melody, rhythm, and text. Metrics of the Latin and Greek languages make the rhythm clearer to us too, a thing that is not so clear for Medieval music. We also have a lot of archaeological finds of ancient instruments, such as the aulos or flutes, so that we can make pretty exact replicas of it, imitating the original sound. Lot of pictures, for example from Pompeii, show us the art of playing (the technique) and texts tell us stories about events, music, and musicians. There is so much to study...;-)

Teleklos: A follow-up question on that: how do you take that knowledge and turn it into the music itself then? To be able to create this "new" music then that so closely resembles what ancient Roman music must have been like?
    Susanna:Beside the original pieces we have lots of texts that deal with tuning and rhythms of ancient musical practices. If we reconstruct music or make new compositions, we try to be as close as possible to this. Sometimes if we play a replica of an archaeological find, we try to make up pieces that bring the most sounds to life that it can produce.

Teleklos: Your newest release, Pugnate!, is due out next month. Can you tell us if it has a particular theme and what inspired it?
    Susanna:We have reconstructed a water-organ, so the CD deals with the place and events it was heard most in antiquity...Arena and Gladiators ;-)

Teleklos: I also was very interested to hear that you know Simon O'Dwyer and Phil Conyngham from Prehistoric Music Ireland, who have helped us by providing some reconstructions of ancient music for our Celtic groups. Have you worked with them before or performed with them?
    Susanna:Well, yes. We are both in the ISGMA "International Study Grup on Music Archaeology" which is set in the Deutsches Archäologisches Institut, Berlin, Germany. We got to know each other in those meetings. Sometimes in the evenings we would all make music together, so you might here an ancient Bronze-Age Irish Horn together with a Roman Aulos and a Medival Harp. Phil has also visit my husband and me for some concerts here in Germany and gave some courses in playing the Didgeridoo; he is a such a good and creative player!

Teleklos: What do you have on the schedule next, work on another album or many performances? And what inspires you to keep creating "new recreations" of ancient Roman music?
    Susanna:Performances basically, maybe a small album at the end of the year. A passion for performing is our motor ;-)

Teleklos: Well, thanks Susanna for giving us your time in an interview designed for our fans' particular interests! I hope you will let us know when your next release is out and what Musica Romana is doing in the future - our team members and fans are spread out all over the world, so if you are performing anywhere please drop by and let us know - I bet some of us would be able to make it to some of your performances (and if anyone does, please make sure to tell them that you are an EB fan! ;-) ).
    Susanna:Thank you a lot and Valete!

Musica Romana's Website
    Musica Romana's homepage (a large site that is currently undergoing a major reworking)

We will definitely be letting everyone know when their website is up and running again. Here are links directly to their record label (Emmuty), where you can still obtain the Symphonia Panica CD (I believe the Mesomedes one is currently sold out).

How do I hear some of their music?
    While we are not publicly posting samples here, you can hear some of the music that will be in EB on their myspace.com page. Out of the samples you can hear there, XVIII is one that you will hear in EB for sure.

Musica Romana's MySpace page with samples

On their MySpace page, you can also find a list of their upcoming performances. If you are able to see them in person, please take the opportunity to go!:

May 17 2008 Römerfest - n.N./t.b.c. Gießen (Deutschland/Germany), Hessen
    May 24 2008 Römerfest - Konzert n.N./t.b.c. Tarragona (Spanien/Spain)
    May 25 2008 Römerfest - Konzert n.N./t.b.c. Tarragona (Spanien/Spain)
    Aug 3 2008 Aktionstag - Saalburgmuseum Bad Homburg (Deutschland/Germany), Hessen
    Sep 13 2008 Ausstellung - Pommersches Landesmuseum Greifswald (Deutschland/Germany), Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
    Sep 14 2008 Römerfest - Stadtmuseum Bergkamen Bergkamen (Deutschland/Germany), Nordrhein-Westfalen
    Oct 18 2008 Erlebnistag - Museum für Archäologie Frauenfeld (Schweiz/Switzerland)
    Oct 19 2008 Erlebnistag - Museum für Urgeschichte Zug (Schweiz/Switzerland)

Now to the part where EB fans can help!
    Until now, Musica Romana has focused their exposure in Europe, but in advance of this announcement, we asked if they had a distributor in the U.S. They currently do not, but would be willing to talk with any interested parties. So if you frequent a business that specializes in ancient replicas, serving reenactment communities, or something else similar, who has an online store, and who would be interested in becoming a distributor for Musica Romana in North America, please contact us and we will put you in direct contact with Susanna and M.R.

Note: I will add that Musica Romana does **not** get any money or support in any way from their work that is sold online in mp3 format illegally, so we would ask our fans not to purchase any of their music in mp3 format from any sites. There is no need to futher discuss the matter here, other than to say that whatever the legality of the sites in their own countries, that Musica Romana is not supported or paid in any way from them, so we would ask our fans not to obtain their music that way, but to contact Emmuty Records or talk with them about possible distributors in your country.

Thanks for your continued interest in Europa Barbarorum and for keeping up with the progress we are still making on it. The Musica Romana music will be included in the next release for EB (i.e., for EB on RTW), and will be used as we port to M2TW as well. We can't wait to get the music onto your computers, as well as a lot of other new things for our next release!

Since some areas where these items which have been posted include large images, we appreciate your restraint from quoting full-size images.
    As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them is here, where the EB team is most active:

Europa Barbarorum ORG forum

Europa Barbarorum TWC forum

We give special thanks to ImageShack that provides us with a simple, foolproof, and free way to show you all these pictures each preview.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

The Europa Barbarorum team.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 03-14-2008 at 15:51.

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

Default Re: EB Roman Music Preview (Musica Romana)

whoo ocool

very nice! CAn't wait to be out of work to listen on a network MySpace isn't blocked in

Wow. This mod continues to amaze me.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Woah! Just listened to XVIII, fits EB really well imo, cant wait!

Aulos et hydraulis is brilliant as well, hope u include it.
    Ultimate Excellence Lies

Not In Winning

Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy

Without Ever Fighting

Yay, a new preview!

Great stuff, can't wait!

awesome music really felt the immersion of being transported back into roman times. Also it reminded me of HBO's Rome series.

Very good, can't wait for the next release! The XVIII track is absolutely perfect for the campaign map!

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Great news, I've been putting off starting a Roman game for a while now. Maybe this will finally entice me to do it after the next update for EB1.

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

Ah music for my legions wonderful!!!!

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Wonderful news!
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I believe I've got one of the albums of these guys or some other similar group. Congrats EB on the deal.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Awesome stuff! XVIII reminds me of stairway to heaven haha
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

Europa Barbarorum has no equals and it will rule the mod world, well done EB team, you are simply fantastic.

Cheers

Great music!

Awsome....
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

outstanding! as always, EB is far and beyond of anything out there!
    thanks for March preview

Nice preview, but i prefere preview it new unit.
    Goood work:)

All I can say is wow.

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kepper
    Nice preview, but i prefere preview it new unit.
    Goood work:)

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

This place called 'rooms,' there's a whole chain of them.

I'm anticipation is almost palpable. Gotta say I'm loving Prehistoric Ireland's tracks in my Swezboz campaign, just feels so primitive and authentic; it really takes you back. Music is huge to the immersion factor of the mod, I'm really looking forward to this.

Edit: That XVII piece is wonderful, I don't think you could find more perfect ambiance for the campaign map. Great job!
    Last edited by stupac; 03-15-2008 at 20:20.
    Colder than a gut-shot bitch wolf dog with nine suckin' pups pulling a #4 trap up a hill in the dead of winter in the middle of a snowstorm with a mouth full of porcupine quills.

My videos

Wow. I actually QUITE enjoyed ALL the selections on the myspace page. I hope you guys end up using most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by stupac
    I'm anticipation is almost palpable. Gotta say I'm loving Prehistoric Ireland's tracks in my Swezboz campaign, just feels so primitive and authentic; it really takes you back. Music is huge to the immersion factor of the mod, I'm really looking forward to this.

Edit: That XVII piece is wonderful, I don't think you could find more perfect ambiance for the campaign map. Great job!
    Indeed it is! I asked specifically for that one for that reason!

It really does give it a lot more immersion though - you are definitely right on that. We aren't done guys!! We still have a few tricks up our sleeves, but this is one of the best that you will see in 1.1 I think.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Indeed it is! I asked specifically for that one for that reason!

It really does give it a lot more immersion though - you are definitely right on that. We aren't done guys!! We still have a few tricks up our sleeves, but this is one of the best that you will see in 1.1 I think.
    This music is goood..

Now .. when does that v1.1 comes out??

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

this preview is pure joyness for my ears...

the hymn at Helio has almost made me to going autside the balcony, and kneel at the sun... pity it is a covered weather today... there is no sun...

and XVIII oh my... i need a triclinius...

love love love, it's incredible the power of music to transport you back in the times...

EDIT:
    damn, im still repeatly listening all the tracks one after another... cant stop... hope this will not ruin my EB1.1 experience...

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: EB Roman Music Preview (Musica Romana)

When will 1.1 be out?

Seriously, always if you think EB can't get better, it does.

Really fascinating. I actually always wondered if Romans had anthems and marches, and what they'd sound like, especially a parade of legionnaires (in the Republic era, the Augustan era and the Constantine era) what the marching songs would sound like.
    The music on the webpage (audio samples) are really awesome and really give a feeling of antiquity times and would make the already very impressive mod even more so. Most of it would be campaign map music, it'd be great if the group composed a Roman marching song.
    Finished EB campaigns:
    Sweboz 1.0

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

im very curious, is xviii a sort of march? it is so hipnotic, that i think it suit well for a legion marching along north europe, imagine, that hipnotic continuous sound, and you keep marching... marching... you cant stop marching, you dont know why you dont feel the tireness, your foots continue to move... a long snake of legionaries marching...

listening to XVIII right now. it's very apropos of/for EB. sweet!
    Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum
    Currently playing Europa Barbarorum 1.1

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Very nice music indeed. Congratulations to the group. I wondered if they have/will come to Portugal sometime soon..
    BLARGH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast