Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Epeiros/Pergamon AAR] Philetairos' Gift

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default [Epeiros/Pergamon AAR] Philetairos' Gift

Introduction

After the failure of my first attempt at this game due to the same bug that killed my Roman game, I'm going to try once more. There's a few things I've learned, both in terms of behaviours in the game, historicity and some technical points too.

This is a M/M game with rtw.exe. I know BI.exe is more stable, but I just don't have the patience to deal with the stupid naval invasions you get. I won't be using an optimised script, instead I'm going to excise everything on client rulers entirely, since it's the source of most of the bugs I keep getting. It's not without a great deal of regret, because I think they're one of the coolest things about EB and a really clever idea.

House Rules

I'm going to attempt to be a bit more hands-off about the AI behaviour, but at the same time I still don't want any faction dying off early, and I'll still make use of Force Diplomacy and move_character when I think it necessary.

At the start of the game I'm going to move my armies to Pergamon, and take the city. Once that's done I'll use process_cq to speed up construction a type IV government, top-tier regional barracks, then destroy the government and replace with a type II. I'll also build up the walls and mines in a similar way. That done I'll move my capital, destroy all the buildings in my original settlements and let them go rebel. I'll also exact peace settlements with payments out of all the people I'm at war with (without using FD, though).

All told that cash will be the nest egg representing the silver Philetairos had control of that allowed Pergamon to flourish. Unlike before, I won't be automatically expanding to take Nikaia and Byzantion as "starting settlements" - I'll just start with Pergamon itself. Then I've got to move from there fair and square.

My aim will be relatively slow expansion, taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves and trying to avoid the wrath of the larger powers. Slow doesn't mean glacial, though, Pergamon was historically a pretty aggressive power. That was how you survived in that environment.

I'll also keep to the borders of the Thracian Kingdom as my upper limit of where I can go, along with Greek colonies (places like Chersonesos, Kyrene, Syrakousai, Massalia). My aim is to create a new Pan-Hellenic Empire eventually, though I won't be engaging in a conquest of the Greek mainland.

Armies

Pergamon used a lot of mercenaries and foreigners in their armies, I'm going to do the same. Mostly because I don't like a lot of the Hellenic roster anyway, but also because there are some very good regional and merc troops.

Core of my line will be Celto-Hellenic hoplites, representing Galatians settled in Mysia and trained in the Greek manner. They're part of a "revolution" in military tactics in my game away from the more regular Successor pike-based armies. They'll be flanked by Theurophoroi, and them in turn by two different units of regional infantry.

Skirmishers will be slingers, archers and peltastai. I'll also use lots of regional cavalry, the hammer to my infantry anvil. Generals will be active participants in battles, playing the role Alexander used to.

I'll "swap" my starting army for one that's more appropriate, disbanding the original units and using create_unit to replace them with new ones.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-26-2008 at 18:56.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: [Epeiros/Pergamon AAR] Philetairos' Gift

And here we have my "starting position" at winter 272BC:

All my original provinces rebelled, now I just have Pergamon. I disbanded most of my original units and used a combination of money from destruction of everything that was in the others (apart from the unique building in Ambrakia), and some cheated money to develop my mines, ports and regional barracks, along with process_cq to get them all ready.

In a few turns time, I'll see if there's some Celto-Hellenic mercs available for Pyrrhos to go and take Nikaia and it's mines.

Anyone know how many mnai 9000 talents of silver would be? I feel I should set my starting money to that amount.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

9000 talents = 540000 mnai. Too much money Quintus! Why this exact amount?

BTW, how did you change the color of you faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
    9000 talents = 540000 mnai. Too much money Quintus! Why this exact amount?

BTW, how did you change the color of you faction?
    Surely that would be 9000 talents of gold, rather than silver? Talents of silver are worth less than talents of gold. Not sure by how much. If it turns out to be a tenth, then I'll consider the money I spent on mines and port upgrade that "nest egg" and just leave it.

Data\descr_sm_factions.txt - there's RGB codes for each faction's colour. I also changed the Ptolemaic yellow to gold so it's easier to distinguish from Seleukid silver.

Following this again. I've got exactly the same colours for Ptolemaios' side.

Let's hope the removed client rulers do add to stability.

Conquest of Bithynia

In the summer of 268, Pyrrhos Aiakides (no relation to the famous king of Epirus) took the Pergamene army to Bithynia. After ravaging the communities around the Bithynoi capital, he laid siege to Nikaia itself.

Superior tactics and the skill of the Kretan archers carried the day, Nikaia was taken by storm and it's people enrolled in a new confederation of Greeks in Anatolia.

Editorial note

This was a surprisingly easy battle, mostly because the Kretan archers killed almost all the akontistai from outside the walls, then mauled all the other units. I'd killed more than a third of their force before the rams had even finished. Then their general died in the streets fighting my hoplites and FMs.

267BC:

Rome have already secured northern and southern Italy. Greece is a right old to-and-fro of warring. Pontos are off the starting blocks already, and angled for Nikaia before I got there. I didn't want to give them a second shot at it, not least because they'll go to war with me when I take Byzantion.

Got spies and assassins at work in Sardis and Mytilene both. Mytilene is much closer to something happening.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Sorry your last one died on you. Looks like you're off to a good start, though. From you minimap, it looks like so are Sauromatae and Pahlav.

Siege of Halikarnassos

Marching from Pergamon with a newly-formed army, Alexandros Aiakides laid siege to Halikarnassos. He had come on the invitation of the Greeks living in the area, claiming a tyrant had installed himself in the capital keeping a bodyguard of vicious Karian tribesmen around him at all times. Arriving as liberator, Alexandros led the assault in person.

Once again it was superior Pergamene tactics which turned the tide. Archers and slingers rained death down on the defenders and there was little fight left in the survivors when the Galatians stormed the walls. The tyrant Akestes was killed in the streets.

Defense of Nikaia

Pergamon's ruling council had determined that Byzantion should be the next addition to the confederation, and dispatched an army across the straits of the Hellespont. This angered the Pontic Kingdom who had treaties of friendship and assistance with the current ruling faction in Byzantion and beyond. They issued an embassage who threatened war if Pergamon did not withdraw. Unperturbed, Pergamon continued with it's investment of Byzantion, and Pontos attacked Nikaia in retaliation.

Pyrrhos had only the garrison of local levies, but he also had a contingent of Kretan mercenaries. Demonstrating his supreme confidence, he marched out of the formidabble stone defenses and fought the invaders in an open field. It was the actions of his cavalry which were decisive, routing the hapless levies pressed into service by Pontos.

Editorial note

Another siege won by skirmishers outside the walls causing horrendous damage to anything unarmoured in the city.

In the second instance, the attackers were a couple of units of levy hoplites and some skirmisher cavalry. Pathetic really.

262BC:

I don't think the siege of Byzantion will take long, but I haven't got time to do it tonight, bed calls. Apologies if it's all looking a bit familiar to anyone, there was a reason why I expanded the way I did last time. Grab up the soft targets with mines first, basically, then build up your infrastructure. I seem to be able to support two armies all of a sudden, though both are barely even half a stack.

Sardis and Ipsos keep yo-yo-ing between revolt and calm, I've got spies in each and assassins working on their happiness buildings.

I moved Baktria's starting stack to Cape Horn, they can have it back in about five years when Baktria are supposed to have emerged. As it is, they're just annoying me.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-27-2008 at 01:17.

Siege of Byzantion

As though to highlight the plight of Pontos and it's status amongst it's allies, not only was their attempt to take Nikaia repelled, but Byzantion fell as well.

Only a token resistance was put up by a people tired of their tyrant.

Battle of Bithynia

Now that Nikaia was secure, Pyrrhos could look to taking the fight to Pontos. A Pontic army was gathering inside the borders of Bithynia, an insult which could not go unpunished.

Despite having a smaller force composed only of mercenaries, Pyrrhos offered battle.

His smaller force outmaneuvered the Pontic army, made up almost entirely of pitiful peasant levies.

Pyrrhos, though now entering his sixties, still led the final charge that drove the raiders off.

It was a humiliating defeat for Pontos.

As a result of the battle, a cessation of hostilities was agreed, with Pontos relinquishing it's claims on territory on this or the other side of the Hellespont.

Revolt in Sardis

Spurred on by Pergamene agents promising better conditions and genuine freedom as opposed to the oppression of Seleukid rule, Sardis rose in revolt in 258BC.

Wasting no time, Pergamon dispatched an army to aid in the changover. There were still some Seleukid loyalists holed up in the citadel, so it was down to the soldierly Oroidos Byllideus to oust them.

Fighting was brief and fierce, and ultimately the day was Pergamene. A government sympathetic to the new confederation was installed.

257BC:

Sardis captured and my lands joined up - and without having to go to war with the Seleukids either. That's the result of some concerted agent-effort to get a revolt that I could capitalise on. Had a spy in Sardis for the better part of a decade, and a constant string of assassin-sabotages.

However I can't afford to repair the Temple of Ephesus yet. That's a massive 40000 mnai to fix. I had to use some cheeky FD to take Patavium off the Romans, I don't want them wandering off too early. Especially when they've tried to take Messana several times.

Capture of Tylis

The mercenary general Admetos Kossikos was dispatched north with Pergamon's northern army, to take Tylis. While it wasn't Greek, and thus didn't fall into the policy of uniting disparate Greeks into the Pan-Hellenic Confederation, it had once been part of the Thracian Kingdom that Pergamon had once been part of. Besides it was rich in mineral resources and offered a staging point for the hiring of Gallic and Thracian mercenaries, fierce men who'd be a useful addition to Pergamon's armies.

It was a hard fight, but one in which Kossikos' greater numbers eventually prevailed. He himself played an active role in the battle, leading from the front.

252BC:

I'm conscious there haven't been a lot of battle yet, I guess mostly because I'm not at war with anyone. I'm getting myself situated and set up, and I think I need some bigger population centres before I start warring. I do now have two armies, one in Mysia (pictured) and one in Tylis which I'll move out shortly. I don't plan to have any more than those for a while, and they're deliberately a mix of recruited troops and mercs. I'm trying not to deplete my populations by hiring stuff, though I also hire mercs to disband them and recruit my regional/factional version of the same troop.

I'm not teleporting armies anymore (haven't done for a while), which is why I haven't tried to take Krete. Lacking a navy or the resources to build one, I basically have to take Mytilene (and it's naval yards) if I want to expand any more. All my likely targets are islands; Mytilene, Rhodos, Krete and Salamis. Most involve warring with another faction.

Rome are contained for now. Baktria are refreshingly inactive (due to the stack still sitting on Cape Horn). Otherwise things are pleasantly quiet.

A Change in Direction

With the death in early 252BC of Pyrrhos, the Basilieu, and the accession of his son Ptolemaios to both the Pergamene throne and the leadership of the Pan-Hellenic Confederation, there was a change in the kingdom's strategy. Ptolemaios gathered his generals, governors and advisors in the winter while the armies were quartered away to outline his plan.

"Pergamon must become a naval power." He said opening the gathering. "Until now we have relied on our strength on land and on allies for sea transport, but this must end." He let that sink in for a moment before continuing.

"To our east we are constrained by the fierce Galatian tribes and the great powers of Syria and Egypt. While I think one day we can face their might with confidence, now is not yet that day. To the north east is the domain of Pontos, and while we have beaten them in war once before, it is too soon to free the Greeks of Paphlagonia from Persian rule."

There were mutterings around the table, some of his generals desired a new round of hostilities with Pontos.

"And to our west across the Hellespont the Antigonid kingdom of Makedonia and the Getic tribes to the north constrain us. I do not feel war there would be profitable while we are still settling matters in Byzantion and Tylis."

He paused to take a deep breath, this was the most controversial part of his strategy. "We lack the deep harbours needed to build ships of war. There are islands in the Aegean and Mediterranean, rich islands, just sitting there for the taking. Krete is incessantly at war with itself, the various tribes and factions fighting for control, just crying out for a strong hand. Rhodos and it's command of the sea lanes is right within our sphere of influence, there are factions in the city sympathetic to leaving the Koinon Hellenon. And Mytilene is within sight of the balcony outside this very room."

"Mytilene is the key to all of this. It has the deep harbours we lack and the skilled shipbuilders would could construct a navy of our own. No more would we be reliant on privateers and pirates to ship our troops to where they need to be. This is a dangerous plan, for Mytilene is allied to the Antigonids. We must expect a response from them in our holdings on the other side of the Hellespont. But we are ready."

And so it was agreed upon, there were questions of clarification, but no dissenting voices. This was a bold strategem for the new king, but an appropriate one worthy of his father who had led the expansion of Pergamon from merely a Mysian power to an Anatolian one. Besides the inhabitants of all of those islands were Greek, and thus more Hellenes would be brought into the confederation to unite Hellas.

Nice. Keep an eye on Baktria, though. I see the Saka are having an okay time, so don't be surprised when they siege Baktra into a premature death.

Battle of Lesbos

It was in 251 that the king's plan was finally put into action. He sent a relatively inexperienced commander at the head of the army; he would have gone himself but there were far too many things to do in Pergamon.

The invasion prompted an immediate response from the Antigonid allies.

Eleaios drew up in the formation that had become the standard for Pergamene armies.

His skirmishers were busy at the start of the battle.

The remainder of the first Antigonid group were showered with missiles.

Then came on the second, and in that formation the governor of Mytilene.

When they engaged, Eleaios' wings looped around. He led the enveloping maneuver on the right.

He also led two charges to the rear of the Antigonid phalanx.

The second charge broke them, and it was the Gallic mercenary cavalry who killed the last of the enemy.

The governor managed to escape the rout back into the city, but he was killed as the Pergamene troops stormed in after him.

247BC:

I finally FD'd peace with Makedonia a few turns ago when it was clear they weren't actually going to do anything. Now they've turned the tables in Greece, so I may have to intervene. They went from being at risk of destruction to suddenly threatening KH with extinction.

Ptolemies and Seleukids are allies. Strange. Both are pretty strong, either might be a good target for a nice war in a bit.

Meanwhile I've got my army in Mytilene preparing for the invasion of Krete. Given KH's troubles, I think I'll hold off on that for a while yet.

Saka are looking nice and healthy. Same with the Sauromatae. Romans are contained, though they took Messana then declared a ceasefire with Qarthadast. Lusotanii haven't exploded yet, nor have the Sweboz. Still lots of rebel territory out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordmaster View Post
    Nice. Keep an eye on Baktria, though. I see the Saka are having an okay time, so don't be surprised when they siege Baktra into a premature death.
    They seem more interested in duking it out with Pahlava in the steppes, and Baktria's much-reduced army is besieging Kophen. Perhaps when they've got that I might give them their army back.

245BC:

Brief update, Egypt are having problems in the deep desert, and I took Krete.

The Seleukid War

It had been ten years since king Ptolemaios' grand plan had come into effect, and it had bourne fruit. Mytliene and Kydonia were now within the Pan-Hellenic fold, productive and happy members of the confederation. It was perhaps out of fear of the rising star on their very doorstep that the Seleukids lashed out. A strong Pergamon might offer the Greeks in that cosmopolitan mix of peoples an alternative to rule from Antiocheia and fragment the already troubled empire.

So it was in 242BC that a Seleukid army attacked Bithynia, hoping to pick off Pergamon's allied city-states one by one.

They were not aware, however, that Pergamon's extensive network of spies and agents had already warned the Basilieu of the Seleukid movements, and that he had already ordered the army to gather and provision themselves for campaigning throughout the winter, rather than resting in quarters as they might. When spring came, they were within striking distance of Nikaia, ready to relieve the city and take the initiative.

242BC:

Captured is one of the three armies I now have (two are smaller, this is an "outsized" one in response to the sheer number of phalangites in the Seleukid force - nine units all told), which I'd already gathered the moment I spotted a full Seleukid stack hanging around Ipsos. They've been quiet for too long so there was little doubt where they were headed. I'm actually hoping they break off from Nikaia so I don't have to mess about with annoying reinforcements.

Rather than use this as an excuse to take Ipsos, I'm going to war with them a bit, then once the reinforcements stop coming (or I can't dredge them up from across their empire), then I'll FD a ceasefire. I'll style this a war of self-defense, rather than conquest.

Been some changes in the world. The Romans finally took Massalia. Ankyra revolted to the Aedui after the Seleukids overcame the full stack there, and got mauled in the process. I gave Bratosporios to the Casse to encourage them to do something in Gaul, and mix things up there.

Baktria are useless, even with that full stack now returned to them. Let the Seleukids take Kophen out from right under their noses. Likely to revolt shortly, though.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Looking good so far. And condolences on the failure of your last Pergamon AAR.

Also, I gotta note that the Sauromatae are kicking some ass. Not bad for their usual lazy, stoned-ass habits.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 06-29-2008 at 00:44.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

baktria always has a bad time dealing with expansion... perhaps they need more money...

nice AAR , same as the other ones
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Looking good so far. And condolences on the failure of your last Pergamon AAR.

Also, I gotta note that the Sauromatae are kicking some ass. Not bad for their usual lazy, stoned-ass habits.
    I'm quite pleased with how this one is going, especially the slower pace of expansion. I was rewarded with a proper battle recently, which was nice. Whether I'll get any more for a while might be different.

I have been "helping" them from time to time by spawning troops in Uspe whenever the Hai try to make a break for the steppe. Otherwise they've managed that all on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3|| View Post
    baktria always has a bad time dealing with expansion... perhaps they need more money...

nice AAR , same as the other ones
    Well I did nerf them right at the start by taking their army away. Now they've got it they're not doing much of use with it. Just let Kophen get taken by the Seleukids, then revolt to Pahlava. Fools. I'm not that bothered, as long as they're not wiped out I can live with them not being a massive presence.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-29-2008 at 02:47.

Battle of Bithynia

Fresh from the conquest of Krete, Alexanor Messaneos, along with Oulamos Larruos, had been appointed to command Pergamon's army. Messaneos lived for battle, loved the thrill of combat and ringing of steel and cries of the enemy in his ears. For him there was no finer thing than a steed underneath him, weapon in one hand, shield in the other, and foe before him.

His army was the largest Pergamon had fielded in recent history, some 25,000 men not including non-combatants. The Seleukid army outnumbered the Pergamene one by a large margin, there were almost 35,000 of them, but theirs was composed mostly of green native phalangites, and they were weak in both cavalry and light troops. While smaller, the Pergamene army was a more balanced force.

The battle took place on the edge of a forest, which provided ample places for Messaneos' men to hide. He positioned himself on the left, granting the traditional place of honour to Larruos.

As the Seleukids approached, they were harrassed by missile fire from Pergamon's numerous skirmishers.

The phalanxes were slow moving, and as a result the small number of Seleukid lights suffered out in front of them.

When they eventually arrived, many of the skirmishers were out of ammunition, and fell back to the safety of their own massed lines.

On the right Larruos ordered the peltasts and Karian warbands to envelop the Seleukid line. Meanwhile the light cavalry ranged out behind the Seleukid line, their lack of cavalry of their own meaning they could do little to stop them.

Some of the Asiatic cavalry caught up with the enemy general. Seeing more Pergamene cavalry, they stood fighting long enough to prevent his escape.

The Seleukid general died with a Gallic lance through his gut.

The cavalry were now free to operate behind the main Seleukid fighting line, harrassing the rear of their formations.

Charges to the rear and flanks sowed panic and dischord amongst the massed pikemen.

The first breakthrough happened on the right of the line.

On the right, fierce fighting continued. The native phalanxes had their resolve stiffened by the presence of professional soldiers.

Even while many of the native pikemen were fleeing, these regulars stood their ground.

They fought on, pulling victorious Pergamene troops from chasing down fleeing foes.

Elsewhere resistance had crumbled. Most of the Seleukid army was in flight.

It was the return of Messaneos that finally shattered their will.

Then it was a case of chasing down those who fled.

The great Seleukid empire had been decisively beaten in battle. Pergamon had entered the world stage as a power to contend with.

Messaneos hoped that wouldn't be the end of the war, and that more Seleukid armies would come. He gave thanks to Artemis and Ares for the victory.

Ouch, painful for the Seleukids. Then again, what a crappy commander, not bringing any cavalry. Nice screenshots, Quintus.

Ouch, painful for the Seleukids. Then again, what a crappy commander, not bringing any cavalry. Nice screenshots, Quintus.
    They had a single unit of already-depleted Hippakontistai, who the third FM routed on his way to joining the army. I didn't need the reinforcements, but a big unit of heavy cavalry like that made a difference. Especially to the ease with which I killed their general early on in the battle. My light cavalry were invaluable; chucking javelins in people's backs once the lines had engaged, and killing routers with ease. The Gallic ones even killed in shock charges when they'd run out of ammo. They also killed the enemy general, because they arrived moments before the merc general did.

I don't want to take Ipsos and I'd like a few more battles, but I'm not sure how to encourage that. There's a danger now that the AI will just keep sending stacks of 3-5 units whenever they've collected them together, which will be no challenge at all.

Perhaps I should steal one of their armies from elsewhere, then add units to it to make it into a proper balanced force? As in one that isn't just filled up with native phalanxes and even more useless native spearmen. Maybe even a unit of elephants.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-29-2008 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    They had a single unit of already-depleted Hippakontistai, who the third FM routed on his way to joining the army. I didn't need the reinforcements, but a big unit of heavy cavalry like that made a difference. Especially to the ease with which I killed their general early on in the battle. My light cavalry were invaluable; chucking javelins in people's backs once the lines had engaged, and killing routers with ease. The Gallic ones even killed in shock charges when they'd run out of ammo. They also killed the enemy general, because they arrived moments before the merc general did.

I don't want to take Ipsos and I'd like a few more battles, but I'm not sure how to encourage that. There's a danger now that the AI will just keep sending stacks of 3-5 units whenever they've collected them together, which will be no challenge at all.

Perhaps I should steal one of their armies from elsewhere, then add units to it to make it into a proper balanced force? As in one that isn't just filled up with native phalanxes and even more useless native spearmen. Maybe even a unit of elephants.
    You might have some luck if you wait long enough, but even then it won't be a real challenge for you I'm afraid. The Seleukids start out with very little military infrastructure, and although the AI usually builds them up faster than I'm doing in my current game, you won't see elephants in a long time, if at all.

You could script an army to be spawned near your lands, although I imagine the Seleukids giving up on western Anatolia in this period of time. You might spawn the army later on, symbolizing Antiochos III coming to conquer you, thirty years from now or something.

Perhaps I should sue for peace and give them a lot longer to build up their infrastruture, then?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Perhaps I should sue for peace and give them a lot longer to build up their infrastruture, then?
    That would also work, of course. Especially if in the meanwhile they could get peace with their other enemies.

The Seleukid War, 240-239BC

Lydia

There had been a brief cessation of hostilities in the war between Pergamon and the Seleukid empire, but it was temporary. No sooner had they a chance to resupply their forces, the Syrians attacked once more, this time laying siege to Sardis. Messaneos and his army had taken to the ships for an invasion of Syria itself, and it was left down to others to defend the homeland.

Gathering a newly-recruited force of levies and mercenaries, Nikostratos Megarikos forced the enemy to abandon the siege, and then offered battle outside the city. To his surprise they opted to fight.

The battle took place on the road, giving the Seleukid phalanxes level ground on which to maneuver.

Megarikos ordered the advance.

The enemy sent their pikes forward.

Hesitant about facing superior numbers, they began to withdraw.

The Pergamenes advanced to follow.

Many of the Seleukids escaped.

Megarikos had carried the day, although many Seleukids survived to fight another day.

Kilikia

Later in the season, Megarikos was instructed to assist Pergamon's allies, vassals of Ptolemaic Egypt in Pamphylia by invading Kilikia. His activities on the border attracted the attention of the Seleukids stationed there. They were led by Seron Kadysios, an experienced general.

The Pergamenes held a commanding position cresting a hilltop. The Seleukids were forced to march uphill to meet them.

They suffered horribly from missile fire.

As they engaged, the enemy general charged the Pergamene line.

As he withdrew to charge again, Megarikos spurred ahead of the line and called out a personal challenge.

Kadysios and his bodyguard accepted, and the two bodies of cavalry clashed.

Megarikos tried to cut his way through to face Kadysios in personal combat.

Meanwhile the weaker elements of Kadysios' army began to flee.

Some of Megarikos' men watched, but knew better than to interfere in matters of honour. Their general would either win or die trying.

In the centre, resistance was beginning to weaken.

The generals fought on. Megarikos' bodyguard, more rested, began to get the measure of their heavier Seleukid counterparts.

Kadysios' regular pikemen were surrounded, yet grimly held on.

Kadysios' bodyguard were slain one by one, until only the man himself remained. To his credit, he didn't run.

His regulars continued to stand their ground.

Succumbing to his wounds, Kadysios died with his sword in his hand.

Megarikos' men cheered their brave general, who gave thanks to Athena.

Seeing their gallant general slain, the last Seleukids capitulated.

Megarikos had won not just a victory, but great personal honour too. He could now dedicate a special ceremony in honour of his slain foe and the boost to his personal reputation that would carry.

Editorial note

I was rather surprised at how well my general's bodyguard, who are much lighter armoured than their Seleukid counterparts, managed to survive that fight. I put it entirely down to the fact that they were fresher, and used their swords rather than those slow-to-use lances which the Seleukids never switched from. Pretty telling that I lost about ten in that unit, and they lost all 40.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 06-29-2008 at 18:03.

Syria

Alexanor Messaneos, together with his lieutenant Oulamos Larruos had landed in Syria in the summer of 239, but had marched first to Phoinike to gather supplies promised by their allies. It was autumn when the invasion of Syria began, and he stopped to build winter quarters on the river, using it to narrow the Seleukid's opportunities of attack.

He was somewhat surprised when they tried to force a river crossing twice.

He waited his army where he thought they would cross.

But it turned out the wily Seleukid commander had found a ford further upstream, and so Messaneos was forced to think on his feet to face the new direction of attack.

He wheeled his right and centre to face the threat.

As Sittakenes charged, Larruos took the cavalry around the fighting line.

He got stuck into the fighting.

The outflanking maneuver continued.

On the left, Larruous circled wide.

Weary Seleukids climbed up the bank only to find themselves in danger.

Sittakenes was wounded, but fought on.

Larruous charged in from the left flank.

Much of Sittakenes' bodyguard lay dead and his army was in disarray as they tried to fight back.

He was slain trying to rally them.

His army began to fragment.

The panic was total.

The crossing was quiet, but it was a horrific scene of carnage where men had been cut down by missile fire or been drowned.

Messaneos had his victory.

Editorial note

The stats don't really tell the story that I cocked up my initial layout, assuming where the road appeared to cross the river was the crossing. So I was too far to the right, which meant they came across on my much weaker flank, rather than in my prepared centre. Still their general acted like an idiot, and made it easy for my mistake not to be fatal.

The two units who suffered big casualties were those holding the left wing while the rest of the army hot-footed it around to take the enemy column in the flank. Those Thureophoroi held off their general most of the battle. The Anatolians fought a motley collection of enemies, including some elite Agema spearmen.

Syria

Messaneos had to defend the crossing once more from another direction, the garrison of Antiocheia marching out to avenge the death of their commander.

This time Messaneos knew where they would cross.

While some elites spearheaded the crossing, it wasn't much of a battle.

238BC:

Still fighting to be done in Syria, and even in Anatolia this turn. Although the break didn't last long, I did move some of their stacks to where they might combine against me. Shame they've done a poor job of merging them so far, if they'd combined the armies they used in Syria, it might have been a real battle. I tried not to exploit the crossing, sitting quite a way from it, but I still had numerical superiority.

I did do my first round of serious FD on the world a few turns ago. Baktria were going in silly directions, Pahlava weren't doing anything and those damned Armenians were tring to conquer the steppe again. Rome had taken Tolosa, and wasn't moving against Carthage in Sicily, so I sorted that. Sweboz are starting their regular explosion.

Excellent stuff, and much of it, which is how we like it. Especially the personal challenge there, that was awesome.

Excellent stuff, and much of it, which is how we like it. Especially the personal challenge there, that was awesome.
    I must admit, I liked that a lot. When the enemy general came across, I had a unit of Thureophoroi nearby and he had nothing else to use, so I thought I'd just leave it and see. 50-odd Mossolon Agema cavalry against 30-odd Makedonian hetairoi - the latter have much heavier armour, overall their defense is about 6 points higher. But they kept using their lances so while they'd get kills, they were much slower than mine. Convinced me swords are better in a press than lances, that's for sure.

I didn't leave the Seleukids for long, but they did start things up again. I think raiding their territory makes for some action, if only they'd combined some of those stacks. Would also be nice if the AI disbanded or retrained units with less than 25% of their strength, or better yet anything under 50%.

Messaneos' army is weathering well so far, two big-ish battles and his main line is barely touched. Should be more big battles coming up, and I think I'll start pulling some more Seleukid armies from wherever I can find them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast