Thread: Wonders' effects in BI?

Default Wonders' effects in BI?

On the BI original map there are 2 wonders left: the pyramids and the mausoleum. They offer no bonus anymore. Any idea if they can be "reactivated"?

I've notticed at the beginning of descr_strat.txt for BI two entries that disable the marian reforms and the gladiator uprisings. Could the wonders' effects be also dependent on some code?

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Default Re: Wonders' effects in BI?

Some Wonder affects can be simulated, what I am more interested in is confirming that all the Wonders can be put back on the BI map (models and assicated text/videos)
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Wonders can be put back into the game no problem.

TFT 's Fall of the Republic - Rise of the Empire (FRRE) Mod Project
    A collection of Post-Marian Reform mods for B.I
    Download The First Triumvirate v 1.75 for RTW

Could you explain how to put the others wonder in bi map?

Sure, use show_cursorstat in the command line prompt, press the tidal key to activate it in-game.

Get your coordinates for each wonder and place it in the strat file like so:

marian_reforms_disabled
    rebelling_characters_active
    gladiator_uprising_disabled
    night_battles_enabled
    brigand_spawn_value 10
    pirate_spawn_value 12

; ####################################################################
    ; ######### >>> Start of landmarks section <<<
    ; ####################################################################

landmark pyramids_and_sphinx 181, 41
    landmark pharos 179, 50
    landmark colossus 160, 73
    landmark temple 158, 82
    landmark statue 135, 78
    landmark gardens 237, 75
    landmark mausoleum 160, 79

The game will refer to RTW 1.3 for the models, however wonder effects need to be reinstated....which i've yet to do. My guess is that it's possible to have them work just like 1.2/1.3.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Centurion Cato; 10-18-2005 at 19:02.

The wonders can probably be put back on the map and in the worst case scenario they can be simulated by creating in those cities special buildings giving bonuses factionwide.

Not sure how to simulate the effect of the Pyramids (they are supposed to reduce the unrest of the Egyptians) but anyway it would be nice to "activate" them in BI without going through hoops.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

You sure they don't give any bonus? I am certain that Ephesus has cheaper buildings.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dromikaites
    The wonders can probably be put back on the map and in the worst case scenario they can be simulated by creating in those cities special buildings giving bonuses factionwide.

Not sure how to simulate the effect of the Pyramids (they are supposed to reduce the unrest of the Egyptians) but anyway it would be nice to "activate" them in BI without going through hoops.
    They can be put back in...but the effects need to be modded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    You sure they don't give any bonus? I am certain that Ephesus has cheaper buildings.
    You mean the temples or churches are cheaper in BI if you hold Ephesus? I know they work in RTW 1.3 but the question is can they be made to work also in BI?

Well they seem to have left in some code for wonders. My guess is that the B.I exe will call the relevant 1.3 files, so maybe that's where we should start. Does anyone know where the effects are defined in RTW?

Code:
    wonder
    {
        temple                    data/models_strat/wonder_artemis.cas                200 0
        pyramids_and_sphinx             data/models_strat/wonder_pyramids.cas        200 0
        statue                    data/models_strat/wonder_artemis.cas                200 0
        mausoleum                    data/models_strat/wonder_mausoleum.CAS            200 0
        pharos                    data/models_strat/wonder_pharos.cas                    200 0
        colossus                    data/models_strat/wonder_colossus.cas               200 0
        stonehenge                data/models_strat/icon_colossus.cas                200 0
        barge                    data/models_strat/icon_colossus.cas                200 0
        gardens                    data/models_strat/wonder_gardens.cas                200 0
    }
    Code:
    ; wonders
        plan pyramids_at_giza            pyramids_at_giza.txt
        plan pyramids_at_giza_battle        pyramids_at_giza_battle.txt
        plan temple_to_artemis            temple_to_artemis.txt
        plan temple_to_artemis_battle        temple_to_artemis_battle.txt
        plan mausoleum_at_halicarnassus        mausoleum_at_halicarnassus.txt
        plan mausoleum_at_halicarnassus_battle    mausoleum_at_halicarnassus_battle.txt
        plan olympia                olympia.txt
        plan olympia_battle            olympia_battle.txt
        plan pharos_at_alexandria            pharos_at_alexandria.txt
        plan pharos_at_alexandria_battle        pharos_at_alexandria_battle.txt
        plan colossus_of_rhodes            colossus_of_rhodes.txt
        plan colossus_of_rhodes_battle        colossus_of_rhodes_battle.txt
        plan hanging_gardens_of_babylon        hanging_gardens_of_babylon.txt
        plan hanging_gardens_of_babylon_battle    hanging_gardens_of_babylon_battle.txt

Hmm, i guess the effects are hardcoded...so it has to simulated.

Yes, the effects are hardcoded, so they must be simulated in the manner heretofore mentioned insofar as the bonuses allow.

Question wonder CTD (great pyramid)

like the title says...anyone else had this happen, conquered with sassanids, when i click the notification square for it on the right of the screen, while it starts to expand to the middle of the screen so u can read it, the crash occurs...
    and i have not modded any wonders so far.
    any ideas?
    pillage, plunder, burn...

There is something rather strange going on with the wonders and the bi.exe (RomeTotatWar-BI.exe).

I copied the bi folder calling it test. I then replaced all the files of bi with the rtw files form the data folder. After doing that I have launched bi.exe with the option -mod:test.

The result was R:TW started, with the wonders perfectly functional, with senate missions and with religion (a BI, not RTW characteristic). So it means the bi.exe has inside it all the code for RTW, including the one for operational wonders and for the Roman senate.

However I have no clue which is the switch which turns on/off the wonders. Because we can put the wonders on the BI map, lanunch BI and see them there, but they are not giving any bonus.

Maybe Jerome or Captain Fishpants would oblidge...

Yes, this is something I would like to know the answer to as well.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Religion in RTW?! Awesome!!!

Can you find out more please?!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

This is not religion in RTW but RTW in BI (with religion of course), a small but important difference.
    Alas I think Drom (and the Imperium team) will be rather occupied with Imperium during the next weeks so I don't believe we will have time to put too much research effort into this, unless we need it for the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    This is not religion in RTW but RTW in BI (with religion of course), a small but important difference.
    Alas I think Drom (and the Imperium team) will be rather occupied with Imperium during the next weeks so I don't believe we will have time to put too much research effort into this, unless we need it for the mod.
    Yes, like Alpaca said, what we did was to play RTW using the BI engine, not RTW with the RTW engine. This is why the religion showed up. The "cure" to prevent religion from showing up when you play RTW using BI.exe (full name RomeTotalWar-BI.exe) is to delete the descr_beliefs.txt (of course without mentioning any religion in the descr_regions.txt either).

And of course, we will share what we discover, except we won't research more than what's necessary for the mod be released. Once it's out of the door we'll continue the research for enhancing the future versions.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

and the winner of who can relaunch most old threads this week goes to..... me

Hadn't realised before that old wonder effects don't work in BI, which is irritating having just spent ages trying to figure out how to negate things that don't actually exist

Have just noticed something rather strange though, none of the other wonders give a wonder happiness bonus when you hold them in BI, but if you re-introduce the 'statue' wonder eg: the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, that one does give a 10% 'wonder' bonus to all settlements of the occupying faction.

The statue wasn't actually one of the ones included in vanilla BI!

Anyone got any ideas why that works and others don't? Or any update on whether fiddling with anything in strat or the other files re-activates effects in BI?
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

just one cmment about religion in RTW, I'm usning Chiv; TW with RTW 1.5 and religion seems to be working, or at least showing up. Is this normal?
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

It was always meant to be feasible to put religion into RTW, someone who tried it early on reported problems with it, but if Chiv released with it (and I'm sure they are designed to run under both RTW and BI engines) then I guess it confirms it works
    Download the:

wonder effects show up as the golden icons in the settlement details (happiness/public order) - I am sure they exist in there in FATW which must derive from the vanilla effects. As to other effects, and the culture-specific ones, then I think they are broken.

EDIT: And I think I wrote that guide on negating wonder effects for rtw (before BI came out?) so don't beat me up ;)

wonder effects show up as the golden icons in the settlement details (happiness/public order)
    yes but only from the one with internal name 'statue'. That was the bit I only just noticed and it certainly seems same on FATW (I'm reasonably sure I didn't do anything to break version of that!)

Checked on FE, re-united kingdom only get the wonder icon because of the 'statue' being used at Lathron. If you make that city revolt I think you'll find you don't get little golden icons from the other two wonders they are still holding
    Download the:

Hmmmm...well, maybe it was just the Argonath (internal landmark 'statue') then :(

weird.

Now, someone just posted a screenie of the settlement attached to the region with the Treegarth of Orthanc (internal: gardens)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111763

Note the golden bell icons ;)

Oh aargh, it does seem to be just me again - I just tried plain RTW, under RTW.exe on the install EoD is on and the golden bells aren't showing on that for pyramids! So there must be something up with what I've been copying around as a supposedly clean install - as CI is on a different one! bah, bah, uggh - another complete re-install coming up....

Though if I ever figure out what I did that disabled rest of wonders 'wonderishness' and little gold bells that might prove interesting!
    Download the:

bump to correct misleading information I left at the end of this.

All the wonders do generate a happiness effect in BI (shows up with little golden bells in the settlement view) there is just something different about the way the 'Statue' internal name wonder activates. That one gives happiness effect if you own it at the beginning of the game, the other wonders only give wonder-happiness effect if you capture them from another faction/slave ownership.

(thanks to Dol Guldur for help figuring that out)
    Download the:

We shall have to get Mak to subtitle her Avatar with the words "Finder of Little-known Idiosyncrasies" :)