Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB Building Progression - a Sneak Peek at one

Default EB Building Progression - a Sneak Peek at one

Just thought I'd let out a peek (an authorized one though ) at one building progression - at least from one culture's point of view (this will certainly not be the complex from the point of view of the Romans or eastern factions or barbarian ones). The bonuses aren't set on these at all, so they are a WIP for sure, but the base information and progression are done, so it shouldn't hurt to give this one a viewing.

This is actually a look at the 'amphitheatres' building complex, but from a Hellenic point of view. No 'games' (like the Romans have) are held in them though if you are a Hellenic faction. They generally increase happiness and your generals who are present in cities that have these will probably get a slight boost in their chances if they compete in the Olympics - bettering their chances even more in the best ones below. They might have an XP boost at the highest levels, but we aren't sold on that yet. Harder to argue for it in 272 B.C. than if it had been in the 5th century B.C.

So first you start out constructing, at a very low cost, a Game Field:

Leimon Agonion - Game Field

Then you can construct a Small Gymnasion, at a higher cost of course:

Gymnasion Mikron - Small Gymnasion

Then, most cities can still construct a basic Gymnasion:

Gymnasion - Gymnasion

The basic Gymnasion is all that a lot of Hellenic cities can reach, but if you have certain types of governments, you can then face an option. You may choose to put more money and time into adding onto your gymnasion complex with a large palaistra and focus on bettering your citizens and generals' athletic pursuits. Or you can instead choose to put more money into developing the complex into one that focuses more on the pursuits of the mind and develop more its academic complexes.

Gymnasion Mega kai Palaistra - Great Gymnasion and Palaistra

Gymnasion Akademaikon - Academic Gymnasion

Some Hellenic factions don't have all these options, and some only have the highest options available in provinces with certain types of governments. After all, only those provinces that have the most truly Hellenic types of governments should be able to build their best structures.

Hope this livens things up a bit around here. I'm not involved in the hardest coding work going on right now with the preparations for the open beta, so I've been getting a bit 'antsy' and was itching to release a sneak-peak at some of this stuff. This actually is a brand new complex and many of our own members haven't seen all of this up until today as well. Hope you enjoyed it!

Last user of scythed chariots Member Spendios's Avatar

Default Re: EB Building Progression - a Sneak Peek at one

Yes ! This a very interesting mini-preview and it brings some news here!
    I love the evolution from the game field to the great gymnasion!
    But I'm curious to see buildings for other cultures (if it is authorized) !

Btw you mention that thre are different types government, can you enlighten us with this feature or maybe it belongs to the "secret-things-not-to-release-if-you-don't-want-the-death-squad-on-you ?

The more time pass the mod this mod promises to be amazing !
    Thanks to all the team especially for the guys involved in the hard coding work needed to release the beta !

Cheers !

wow, great work, can't wait to see the rest

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Very interesting!

The picture for the 'Gymnasion Mikron' looks somewhat familiar; it wouldn't happen to be near Mt Olympus, would it?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Spendios
    Btw you mention that thre are different types government, can you enlighten us with this feature or maybe it belongs to the "secret-things-not-to-release-if-you-don't-want-the-death-squad-on-you ?
    The short answer is going to be 'No, not really'. We don't want to reveal too much - it will hopefully be one of the most interesting challenges to fans, so we don't want to spoil it by leaking out too much info about it. The fact has been known for a while that we've got different governments (each unique to it's own factions) and that they affect everything from traits to unit recruitment to building selection.

I am very happy to see another preview and know that you still working in the mod.

Thanks.

Spankey.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: EB Building Progression - a Sneak Peek at one

Very interesting. Thanks, Teleklos!
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Why the -5 % public order when it gets to higher levels though? Too compensate fo the troop experience bonus?
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RandyKapp
    Spankey.
    What is "spankey"? Are you doing something inappropriate?

Are these buildings going to appear in cities in the battlemap?

Grizzly from Montana Member wolftrapper78's Avatar

Maybe I am just seeing things or overlooking something because I am tired and sick, but what is this faction flag for the city in Asia just North of Rhodes? In the earlier picture with Rhodes, the flag for that city was Greek Rebel. Now, it looks to be a specific faction with a flag that I do not recognize. Maybe Galatia is a faction? But I have been wrong before.
    I don't know whether or not I want a signature.

Aquincum, Pannonia Inferior Ak-Ink, Eravacouw

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrapper78
    Maybe I am just seeing things or overlooking something because I am tired and sick, but what is this faction flag for the city in Asia just North of Rhodes? In the earlier picture with Rhodes, the flag for that city was Greek Rebel. Now, it looks to be a specific faction with a flag that I do not recognize. Maybe Galatia is a faction? But I have been wrong before.
    There is no Galatian faction. The flag that you saw is rebel greek, and there is also a Macedonian navy nearby, and an other Romani town.
    Last edited by Forgus; 11-21-2005 at 11:41.

A preview! awesome work guys, much appreciated

Great mini preview! Although I have question: Is it possible to use Greek alphabet for Greek unit, building, etc. names?

EB ship system destroyer and Makedonia FC

Quote Originally Posted by O'ETAIPOS
    Great mini preview! Although I have question: Is it possible to use Greek alphabet for Greek unit, building, etc. names?
    While it is possible (I have been told), we are sticking to english letters for sure. A transliteration is simple and the vast majority would be able to better understand it that way. But look on the bright side: we are using a transliteration from Greek, and not the Latinized variants of these words.

Quote Originally Posted by jedispongee
    Are these buildings going to appear in cities in the battlemap?
    Unfortunately, no. We have no 3D modeller to do these currently.

Quote Originally Posted by oaty
    Why the -5 % public order when it gets to higher levels though? Too compensate fo the troop experience bonus?
    Not quite sure if we will use that still, but the idea would be that in provinces outside of the greek homelands that the gymnasia, while promoting Hellenism, also were extremely restrictive in who they would allow in and who they kept out. A little like the resentment of the masses against an elite country club (which would be especially prevelant in more backwards places). Like I said, this isn't for sure gonna stay, but if we want to balance out some extra bonus we give them that's particularly good (as you mentioned), we might leave it in.

Does the title "a sneak peek at one" means that we may have another mini preview like that each week until the beta ?

I suppose another building one would be boring. Maybe some of the other guys might have something they could release. Well, there's tons that we *could* release, but I guess I really mean maybe they can see if there's something that it would be ok for them to release.

So I guess the real answer to your question is "no": the title wasn't meant to suggest that there will necessarily be others, but who knows...

OK, thanks for the answer...
    By the way I'm sure that if I create a poll "do you think another building preview will be boring ?", I don't think a lot of fans will answer yes...

Thanks for this one though it was very nice

A bit off topic question, will you make some ships better (I mean built on Rhodes)?

EB ship system destroyer and Makedonia FC

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Hmm.

*Consults Modder's Almanac*

"A new preview fortells the doom of another long wait. The beta you seek has been delayed."

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Would you be able to show them if you did have one? that would be pretty cool.

I suppose another building one would be boring. Maybe some of the other guys might have something they could release. Well, there's tons that we *could* release, but I guess I really mean maybe they can see if there's something that it would be ok for them to release.

So I guess the real answer to your question is "no": the title wasn't meant to suggest that there will necessarily be others, but who knows...
    I hope you have a few more of these. EB previews are usually the best part or one of the best parts of the week.
    Last edited by tk-421; 11-22-2005 at 03:39.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou

I hope you have a few more of these. EB previews are usually the best part or one of the best parts of the week. I hope that you will do something with elephants. Maybe you could have a minipreview entitled "Gimmick Weapons of Ancient World" that features an elephant and a scythed chariot.

Edit: Crap. I don't know what I did but I somehow posted this twice. I thought I was editing this but it posted it again for some reason.
    Last edited by tk-421; 11-22-2005 at 03:40.

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tk-421
    Yes, want to learn how and help?
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Hmm.

*Consults Modder's Almanac*

"A new preview fortells the doom of another long wait. The beta you seek has been delayed."

Nah. We're all just itchy to release the OB. We appreciate the fans' support and value your patience, so it drives some of us nuts not to give you at least something. I can't say much more, other than keep checking this board. One day very soon you will open this forum and cry with delight.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba
    Are you doing something inappropriate?
    Off cource.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    One day very soon you will open this forum and cry with delight.
    "Very soon" means, days, weeks, months, years, decades, centuries, millenaries ?

Just kidding, keep up the good work !
    Last edited by Spendios; 11-22-2005 at 21:05.

Is that all it's gonna be? no 'few days' 'few hours' just 'mmmm, someday soon probably just keep checking, no release date just kinda pretty soon kinda BAM! Open Beta! Hurrah!'

Wow.

Good thing I like surprises.

Nice preview...keep up the good work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast