Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

With this thread I hope to start a .Org collection of the best free software - both freeware and open source. This will be a benefit to all in the Kingdom of Peace and Love who do not wish to pay for nor pirate software. So post links (and comments) regarding the best free programs available, please! I'll edit contributions into this first post for future quick reference.

The only rule:
    No "Trial Versions" or Demos.

Free releases of otherwise pay-for-license software is OK, like Winamp (see below).

Number of entries: 94+
    Number of open source entries: 33+
    I'm now too lazy to count.

Entry Format - posting in this format helps me out! I would be much obliged if you did.
    -------------------------
    Title
    Homepage The homepage (or something close) of the program. Please make a note if it isn't a direct homepage.
    OS: The operating systems it runs on, to the best of your (and my) knowledge: Win, Mac, Linux etc
    Open Source: Is the software's code available? (See below for more info): Yes/No
    Description: Tell us it's function and why it belongs on the list. A few sentences is all that is needed.

What is this "Open Source" you speak of?"
    Open Source goes beyond "free" - the usual analogy is that open source software is "free like in beer and speech." The general public has legal access to the source code of the software, the code used to make the program.

Wikipedia
    Sourceforge.net - The best site for open source developers (and those who look for open source stuff)!

The entries are organized alphabetically within each category, favoring open source software over non-open source.

-------
    Unclassified Awesomeness
    -------

bblean
    Homepage
    Open source: Yes
    Description: Shell replacement. Lightweight and very customisable. Been using it for a few months and love it.
    Courtesy of sapi
    AtPG Note: I've been using it too for a few months. Takes a little getting used to, but it's good enough that I haven't switched back.
    AtPG Note: It's been a while since I used it, I think I had to re-install windows and didn't put it back on...

DOSBox
    Homepage
    Description:
    Quote Originally Posted by website
    DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games...
    Courtesy of Mouzafphaerre

Gallery
    Homepage
    Description: Basically, it's a canned php website for displaying photos. It has an amazing amount of features and admin options built-in and is very simple to setup/use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Website
    Gallery is the next generation of open source photo sharing web applications. Gallery gives you an intuitive way to blend photo management seamlessly into your own website whether you're running a small personal site or a large community site. Hundreds of thousands of people and organizations are using Gallery to create personalized photo albums on their websites.
    Courtesy of Xiahou

Knoppix Live-CD Operating System
    Homepage
    Open Source: Yes
    Description: What is KNOPPIX®?
    KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD "Maxi" edition).
    Comment: It's very popular as a rescue system and brings a lot of tools and it's not only suitable for advanced users. You can get other Live-CD Operating systems here: http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php
    It's a good way to test linux without installing it.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

Mozilla Sunbird
    Homepage
    Description: Flock is based on Firefox and is designed for integration with popular social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, PhotoBucket e.c.t. Due to its Firefox roots, most Firefox extensions work with it, and many extensions designed exclusively for Flock work with Firefox. Themes are a different matter, however, and many of them are incompatible or only have partial functionality.
    Courtesy of Omanes Alexandrapolites

Octave
    Homepage
    Description: Matlab clone, essentially a high-level language for solving mathematical problems.
    Courtesy of discovery1

Seamonkey
    Homepage
    Description:
    Web-browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple -- all your Internet needs in one application.

World Wind
    Homepage
    Description: Awesome (I can’t describe with my words) program made by NASA Learning Technologies (NLT). You can watch the whole world from your home. Just few warnings: program requires fast broadband internet connection and strong hardware resources (like 2 GB on hard disk) but it worth that. You need before installation installed Microsoft .NET 1.1 and Directx 9.0c.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

Xplanet
    Homepage
    Description: Displays a dynamic image of the earth, or another planet/celestial body, on your desktop. Example output showing a representation of which parts of the earth are currently in shadow (ie my wallpaper from a few days ago ). For Win users, 'xplanet starter' is highly recommended.
    Courtesy of sapi

µTorrent
    Homepage
    Open source: No
    Description: Lightweight but powerful and popular bittorrent client.

Google Earth
    Homepage
    Open source: No
    Description:
    Google Earth lets you fly anywhere on Earth to view satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings and even explore galaxies in the Sky. You can explore rich geographical content, save your toured places and share with others.

Install Creator
    Homepage
    Open Source: No
    Description: free install creator. [From site:] Install Creator is simply the easiest installation distribution tool in existence. Spend your time developing your creations not building the installers. Download the fully functional freeware version of Install Creator and create your first installation in less than one minute! Then you decide which way is better!
    Courtesy of Gertgregoor

WikiTaxi
    Homepage
    Description: An 8 gig, offline, portable Wikipedia. Doesn't include images and outside links, apparently.
    Courtesy of Furunculu5

-------
    Audio/Media Players
    -------

Audacity
    Homepage
    Description: Record and edit .ogg, .mp3, and .wav sound files. Simple interface and intuitive enough for newbies (like myself) to mess around in. More powerful than I can make use of.

Ffdshow
    Homepage
    Description: DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing several video formats, including DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. (In english: watch all types of movie formats without having to intall any codecs or codec packs - which can cause problems)
    Courtesy of Placid Tramp

foobar2000
    Homepage
    Description: My new audio music player. It's made by the guy who wrote Winamp, and it works almost exactly like it out of the box, minus all the bloat of Winamp. It's ridiculously configurable, though it requires some how-to knowledge to really do so. Plenty of tutorials and the like online though. - ATPG

Media Player Classic
    Homepage
    Description: Extremely light-weight media player for Windows. It looks just like the good-old Media Player v6.4, but has lots of nice extra features. No install, just one exe file - the best movie player for windows.
    Courtesy of Placid Tramp

MP3Gain
    Homepage
    Description:
    Quote Originally Posted by homepage
    Tired of reaching for your volume knob every time your mp3 player changes to a new song?
    MP3Gain analyzes and adjusts mp3 files so that they have the same volume.

MP3Gain does not just do peak normalization, as many normalizers do. Instead, it does some statistical analysis to determine how loud the file actually sounds to the human ear.
    Also, the changes MP3Gain makes are completely lossless. There is no quality lost in the change because the program adjusts the mp3 file directly, without decoding and re-encoding.
    Courtesy of Pannonian

Scala
    Homepage
    Description: For music nerds only! You can analyse, build, edit and do many things you wouldn't imagine yourself doing with all kinds of musical scales, tunings and more. The author is one of the very few lucky online friends who has had the chance to meet Mouzafphaerre in real life. Proof that I really exist and am not a bot. He would make a good ORGah 'coz he's Dutch!

Songbird
    Homepage
    Description: Songbird is a Web player built from Firefox's browser engine. Songbird is open source, will run on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and supports user contributed, cross-platform extensions. Supports all known audio file types; MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and more. Still in beta, but looks like the cat's pyjamas. Can't wait for version 1.0!
    Courtesy of Lemur

VLC Media Player
    Homepage
    Description : The only media player on the market (I'm not fully sure though) that comes with all codecs needed for playback. This 9.25-MB-size media player creates instant solution in case you may be needing extra codecs with another player. It can handle Xvid, Divx avi's and .Mov files (I did not test it about Real Media) right away without installation of an additional piece of codec.
    Courtesy of LeftEyeNine
    Update: renamed to VLC Media Player, the main product of the VideoLAN project.

CrystalPlayer
    Homepage
    Description:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    I got it in the first place because it allows you to load the subtitles if they are in a seperate file. I made it my default video player because it loads movies quickly and cleanly, switches back and forth from full screen to regular like magic, has easy access controls for adjusting brightness and audio, and in general is just a very good player.
    Courtesy of Sasaki Kojiro

dBpower AMP Music Converter
    Homepage
    Description: This program is often called the Swiss army knife of Audio dMC can: rip (take) sound from Audio CDs digitally and store on your computer, convert from one format to another, just about every audio type is supported, ID Tags are preserved, volume normalize audio files, Windows Explorer integration - popup information for the audio file, such as bitrate.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

Goldwave
    Homepage
    Description: A nice but brilliant program that can do the thing most of us want to do - convert .wma and .wav files into mp3's! Still trying to figure out how to get round copy protection on Napster files though.
    Courtesy of Mikeus Caesar

iZotope Vinyl
    Homepage
    Description: The ultimate lo-fi weapon, iZotope Vinyl uses 64-bit processing and advanced filtering, modeling and resampling to create authentic "vinyl" simulation, as if the audio was a record being played on a record player.
    Courtesy of Bijo

K-Lite Codec Pack
    Homepage
    Description: Most of you must be pretty familiar with playback issues when it comes to different kinds of files (Especially .avi's). This superior pack that is generally updated and coming with Media Player classic within will be installed after a fresh system installation, and you'll nearly never need an additional search for a codec. The installer comes with several options that increase and add more detail level to what kind of codecs you'd like to install.
    The point is if you already have installed any codecs or codec packs like this, uninstall them before trying this. This is vital for a less problematic OS afterwards. Best time is right after you fresh OS install as I said above.
    The website has K-Lite Codec Pack, Mega Codec Pack, Quick Time Alternative and Real Alternative. Yeah the recent alternative thingies that were liked a lot are originally hosted here. And Mega Codec Pack is K-Lite Codec Pack + QT Alt. Player + R Alt. Player
    Courtesy of LeftEyeNine

Mp3tag
    Homepage
    Description:
    Mp3tag is a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit metadata (ID3, Vorbis Comments and APE) of common audio formats. It can rename files based on the tag information, replace characters or words from tags and filenames, import/export tag information, create playlists and more. The program supports online freedb database lookups for selected files, allowing you to automatically gather proper tag information for select files or CDs.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

MV2 Player
    Homepage
    Description: The best AV player on market. Read everything (including DVD’s) with proper codecs. Fast, small, simple, excellent subtitle support and is localized in 25 languages. On expert level in options you can configure everything.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

QuickTime Alternativel
    Homepage
    Description: QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

Real Alternative
    Homepage
    Description: Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

Winamp
    Homepage
    Description: You can get a "free" version instead of paying for the "Pro" version. A good alternative to using Windows Media Player.

-------
    Browsers
    -------

Camino
    Homepage
    Description: Similar to K-Meleon, Camino is a Mozilla based browser which aims for improved integration and speed on a particular OS - in this case Mac OSX. Like, K-Meleon, Camino sadly isn't as customisable as Firefox though and many extensions and all themes don't work with it. It does have an array of its own extensions though specifically designed for it.

Flock
    Homepage
    Description: Flock is based on Firefox and is designed for integration with popular social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, PhotoBucket e.c.t. Due to its Firefox roots, most Firefox extensions work with it, and many extensions designed exclusively for Flock work with Firefox. Themes are a different matter, however, and many of them are incompatible or only have partial functionality.

K-Meleon
    Homepage
    Description: A Mozilla based browser designed for improved performance, response to user input and integration on Windows when compared to Firefox. K-Meleon sadly isn't as customisable as Firefox though and many extensions and all themes don't work with it.

Mozilla Firefox
    Homepage
    Description: Powerful and simple browser made by Mozilla. More reliable than Internet Explorer. Plenty of extensions made by users to do anything that plain Firefox can't.

Opera
    Homepage
    Description: A nice alternative to IE or FireFox. Tabbed browsing FTW! Also, in the event you accidentally close it while looking at stuff, when you reopen it, it will still be on your webpage you were looking at. You can also change the skin and colour of it for your personalised web browsing experience. Voice feature is nifty too. 'Opera, exit application!'

Google Tool bar
    Homepage
    Description: Great pop up blocker solved all my pop up problems. Search and spell check are convenient too.
    Courtesy of Destroyer of Hope

-------
    CD/DVD
    -------

CDCheck.
    Homepage
    Description: A handy program which helps prevent, detect and recover damaged files (from a CD), with an emphasis on error detection.
    Easy to use and can be very helpful if you suspect a CD contains corrupt/damaged files and would like to try and fix it.
    For more detailed information, visit the site.
    Courtesy of Dutch_guy

CDex
    Homepage
    Description: Excellent CD ripper-encodes to an extremely wide range of formats, with file names/directories/bit rates etc fully customisable. There is no excuse to use WMP rather than this.
    Courtesy of drone and Big King Sanctaphrax

DeepBurner
    Homepage
    Description: Excellent program for burning CD/DVDs. You don’t need any more to buy Nero. Program has unique options for creating auto-start menus and CD/DVD’s covers. DeepBurner support a lot of drives, including external USB or Firewire drives, DVD-RAM drives, has functions for overburn, creating bootable disks and etc.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

DVD Shrink
    Homepage
    Description: DVD Shrink is software to backup DVD discs. You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disc. DVD Shrink will also burn your backup DVD, if you have installed the latest version of Nero. This program also makes backup of encrypted and large 9 GB DVDs without requiring any other software. Also has a function for re-authoring your DVDs. Easy to use.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

IsoBuster
    Homepage
    Description: If you have damaged CD or/and DVD this is program for you. IsoBuster is probably the best program for saving your data from damaged DVDs and CDs. It read almost every standard of writing and types of CDs and DVDs.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

Video DVD Maker
    Homepage
    Description: Video DVD Maker is DVD-authoring and DVD-mastering program. The intuitive interface leads you through a comprehensive set of logical steps to capture and output DVDs. It is easy for use and that’s the reason why there are so little options left to user.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

-------
    E-mail/RSS/Newsgroups
    -------

Mozilla Thunderbird
    Homepage
    Description: Full-Featured Email-client
    Simple to use, powerful, and customizable, Thunderbird is a full-featured email application. Thunderbird supports IMAP and POP mail protocols, as well as HTML mail formatting. Easily import your existing email accounts and messages. Built-in RSS capabilities, powerful quick search, spell check as you type, global inbox, deleting attachments and advanced message filtering round out Thunderbird's modern feature set.
    Additional features: Junk Mail Filters, Anti-Phishing Protection, Advanced Security, Automatic Updates, Customize Thunderbird
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

GreatNews
    Homepage
    Description: GreatNews is RSS aggregator. It’s free, has fast download and search for news, full Unicode support, advanced functions for automatic sorting and is stable program. User interface is similar to Outlook/Thunderbird.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

IncrediMail
    Homepage
    Description: Email client that generates multimedia emails.
    Courtesy of GBB

KlipFolio
    Homepage
    Description: RSS reader widget for Windows.
    Courtesy of Furunculu5

Mailwasher
    Homepage Wiki
    Description: Email is initially sent to your email server, where it stays until you download it to your computer. AFAIK, MS email software doesn't have any way of checking your email without actually downloading it from the server. Mailwasher gets around that, by downloading the headers of the emails on your email server, before you decide whether to download them or delete them. This can save both bandwidth and provide security by letting you delete suspicious emails before they get to your computer. NB. Pegasus Mail has these functionalities built in.
    Courtesy of Pannonian

Pegasus Mail
    Homepage Wiki
    Description: Email program with powerful filter and other features. Won't be developed any more since it's taking up too much of the developer's time, so get it while you can. Re-reading the wiki, it seems Pegasus will still be freeware for single users, but people using it for several accounts will have to pay for a licence.
    Courtesy of Pannonian

XNews
    Homepage Wiki
    Description: Newsreader, of the Usenet variety. If you read newsgroups, this is the reader for you. Completely free, as the creator developed it for his own use and provided it for anyone else who's interested.
    Courtesy of Pannonian

-------
    Gaming
    -------

Alien Arena
    Homepage
    Description:
    Quote Originally Posted by Website
    Do you like fast paced deathmatch? How about rich, colorful, arcadelike atmospheres? How about...retro Sci Fi? Then you're going to love what Alien Arena 2007 has in store for you! This game combines some of the very best aspects of such games as Quake III and Unreal Tournament and wraps them up with a retro alien theme, while adding tons of original ideas to make the game quite unique.
    Single player just involves you and bots in various deathmatches. But the game also supports online multiplay which adds deathball, CTF, and other team matches in addition to the deathmatch free-for-alls. Good, mindless fun.
    Courtesy of Xiahou

Allegiance
    Homepage
    Description: Multiplayer flight sim/real time strategy game originally made by Microsoft but released and maintained by the community. Information here and here.
    Courtesy of Crazed Rabbit

Battle for Wesnoth
    Homepage
    Description: A turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme.
    Build up a great army, gradually turning raw recruits into hardened veterans. In later games, recall your toughest warriors and form a deadly host against whom none can stand! Choose units from a large pool of specialists, and hand-pick a force with the right strengths to fight well on different terrains against all manner of opposition.
    Courtesy of ChaosLord

C-evo
    Homepage
    Description: At first it looks like a rip-off of Civ II. And it is, to a degree. But it isn't a straight rip-off. It is designed to correct what the author percieves as "flaws" in CivII which are all minor issues. It operates under the principle that all players, AI included, should be equal, and that the AI should not cheat. This is why it features the ability to right your own AI routines, in addition to the robust AI already supported. I sure can't beat it.

Dink Smallwood
    Homepage
    OS: Windows (source code could be recompiled for linux/mac)
    Description: An isometric RPG set in a medieval-fantasy kind of world. Outdated graphics-wise, but very fun. It will keep you enjoyed for hours on end. I can't say much more, but it's so full of humour that I'd get it just for the laughs it will bring. Trust me, you'll enjoy it and I guarantee that you will smile at least once during the course of the game. I managed to get the game when it first became freeware on CD form, this was before the turn of the century - and I've still got it on my PC to this day (26-Feb-08).
    Courtesy of Raz

Glest
    Homepage (In English and Spanish)
    Description: An open source RTS (Real Time Strategy) game. Made to be highly moddable using .xml files. I can't emphasize how moddable it is. Looks pretty good, graphics-wise, too. The only weakness is AI, which can be improved by a third-party because it's open source.

Pysol
    Homepage
    Description: PySol is an exciting collection of more than 200 solitaire card games. Its features include support for lots of distinct games, very nice look and feel, multiple cardsets and table tiles, sound and background music, unlimited undo & redo, load & save games, player statistics and log files, hint system, demo games, support for user written plug-ins, integrated HTML help browser and lots of documentation.
    Among the supported games are classics like Aces Up, Baker's Game, Canfield, FreeCell, Forty Thieves, Golf, Klondike, Pyramid, Scorpion, Spider, Yukon, and many more...
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

Scorched 3D
    Homepage
    Description: Remember the old Scorched Earth? The mother of all games? Well now it's back and with more firepower than ever before! And is in 3D. Very fun turned-based game, I first got it when browsing the net during a long and lengthy installation of another game, thinking it'd be a bit of fun. Now whenever I'm installing a game or just want to kill some time, I start up Scorched 3D.
    Courtesy of Raz

Scumm VM
    Homepage
    Description: Makes it possible to play such classic Scumm-based games, such as the first two Monkey Island games or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, all over again under modern Windows OS.
    Courtesy of Geoffrey S

The Spring Project
    Homepage
    Description: Originally a modified version of the game Total Annihilation, it has grown into a generic and flexible 3D engine with dozens of "mods" - actually full games running on the same engine. While most of the mods are based on TA gameplay, there are several notable ones that are not. Comparable to Supreme Commander, with slightly less polished graphics. There are some extremely impressive maps for various mods, some utilizing professional map-making software.

The Ur-Quan Masters
    Homepage
    Description: The open-source remake of Star Control 2, a quirky interstellar adventure game. Earth has been conquered and you have to free it from the Ur-Quan, who dominate the galaxy. Extensive exploration is required to complete the engrossing storyline as well as to get resources. Fun, simple combat determines the fate of you and your crew. The Ur-Quan Masters supports cool music remixes and improved graphics. I highly recommend it, unless you have exams the next day!

Wing Commander Saga
    Homepage
    Description: Remember those Wing Commander games from years ago? This is a modern take on the classic, based off the Freespace 2 engine. Featuring the prologue campaign, excellent voice acting, and the Wing Commander gameplay updated for the 21st century this is a must for any fans of spaceflight games. It's even got good FMV!
    Courtesy of Geoffrey S

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
    Homepage
    Open Source: Sorta. They've released the code but I don't know if it's officially "open source."
    Description: Enemy Territory was going to be an expansion for the Wolfenstein game series. SplashDamage, the developer, gave up and released it free. A fun, quality multiplayer shooter with an emphasis on team work.
    Note: Gameplay is equivalent of "M" rated games for blood and violence.

Xboard/Winboard
    Homepage
    Description:
    Open source UIs for playing and replaying chess games on. XBoard is the Linux version, WinBoard the Windows version.
    Courtesy of Pannonian

Aevum Obscurum
    Homepage
    Forums
    Open Source: Yes and no. Not all code is available, but for the sake of better development some code is released.
    Description: It's a Mulitplayer Turn-Based Strategy Game. You can compare it to Risk or Europa Universalis (tho it's more difficult then risk and less difficult then EU). The new version has been running for a year now, but it's based on an old boardgame. It used to be 100% free, now you just can't make your own clan and you can't play SP campaigns if you don't pay, but that's not needed anyway, it's about the MP. Next to that you can get a free upgrade to full membership simply by "advertising the game" (that's having a sig with your stats, like I do).
    Courtesy of Stig

Abuse
    Homepage
    Description: A fairly old action sidescrolling shooter, first made for MS-DOS as shareware, but has recently become free and works under Windows, with only slight changes to the DOS original. Think Alien vs Predator minus the marines. Light on plot and story, still very fun - makes you feel like you're back at the arcades. Comes with it's own editor for new levels if you would like to make them.
    Courtesy of Raz

Babylon 5: I've Found Her
    Homepage
    Description: Excellent physics-based spaceflight game based on the Babylon 5 series, with a good story and great gameplay. Recently updated with a skirmish option.
    Courtesy of Geoffrey S

Game Maker
    Homepage (In English and Spanish)
    Description: a free and easy to use game/program creator. With wich you don't have to kno code to be able to make something. Tough there has a verry handy and easy to learn code in it.
    Needs direct X version something
    works with every version of windows I've had.
    Courtesy of Gertgregoor

GCFScape
    Homepage
    Description: Great if you want to access sound files on games like Half Life 2.

Ground Control
    Wiki
    Description: Squad based RTS from 2000, released for free at fileplanet. Link to download.
    Courtesy of pevergreen

Glider Pro
    Homepage
    Description: Fly a paper aeroplane through a large variety of houses on a room by room basis using vents to move upwards, whils avoiding obstacles such as cupboards. Loved it when I was younger.
    Courtesy of Geoffrey S

N Ninja
    Homepage
    Description: Action/puzzle game in which the player is a ninja whom is trapped in a world of evil and homicidal robots.
    Courtesy of Bijo and Omanes Alexandrapolites

Penumbra
    Homepage
    Description: A completely free first person adventure/horror game. The game is created by Frictional Studios and is intended as a demonstration of their new physics technology. The physics really are suberb and puts the likes of Valve's source engine and the Havok physics system to shame. The game is set in a haunted underground base in Greenland. The main character discovers the base whilst looking for clues about the wherabouts of their father. Penumbra involves plenty of puzzles that put the physics system to full use, as well as action-packed moments involving advanced AI and lots of dynamite. Plenty of parallels can be drawn between this and Doom 3, Thief, and any other remotely scary game involving lots of dark claustrophic interiors. The puzzles are excellent and the graphics are good enough to rival the latest next-gen titles.
    Courtesy of Master_Thief

Qtracker
    Homepage
    Description: A 3rd Party multiplayer game server manager. Supports many different games. Browse through servers to find specific game types, servers with slots open, and even friends.

Torus Trooper
    Homepage
    Description: A space shooter in the same theme as Silpheed and others, except that it uses polygons as graphics. Much less graphically intense than many space shooters, but much more adrenaline is packed due to the high speeds you will be going.
    Courtesy of kekvitirae

-------
    Graphics/Video
    -------

Blender
    Homepage
    Description: 3D Modelling program with a whole lot of features. One of the few free modelling programs. The interface can be a challenge to learn but becomes second-nature with practice. Very flexible, with plenty of user-made scripts for all sorts of things.

The Gimp
    Homepage
    Description: "GIMP" stands for GNU (open source liscence) Image Manipulation Program. Essentially, it's an open source Photoshop clone. It is very stable and useful.

Inkscape
    Homepage
    Description: "Vector" Graphics Software. [Comment:] Haven't used it much to comment.
    Courtesy of Quietus

Paint.NET
    Homepage
    Description: Completely free and open source program. Not powerful as GIMP (best free alternative for Photoshop), but drastically easier for using. Program has good support for working with layers and unlimited history. Help and support are excellent. One notice: before installation you need to download from Microsoft site DotNetFix 2 as without that program will refuse to install.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

VirtualDub
    Homepage
    Open Soruce: Yes
    Description: Free video editing program - need i say any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homepage
    It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.
    Courtesy of sapi

winff
    Homepage
    Open Soruce: Yes
    Description: An open source media converter. Can convert between most video and audio types. WinFF is the GUI for the underlying FFMpeg utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homepage
    WinFF is a GUI for the command line video converter, FFMPEG. It will convert most any video file that FFmpeg will convert. WinFF does multiple files in multiple formats at one time. You can for example convert mpeg's, flv's, and mov's, all into avi's all at once. WinFF is available for Windows 95, 98 , ME, NT, XP, VISTA, and Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat based GNU/Linux distributions. WinFF is available in Brazillian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese Tradditional, Danish, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, and Turkish.
    Courtesy of Pannonian

Anim8or
    Homepage
    Description: Completely free 3d modelling programme that is still in development but is in its final stages. It features a very simple user interface and is fully capable of creating professional-looking 3d models for artwork, games etc. It also includes a material editor that can be used to create custom materials to resemble glass, rubber, marble, and pretty much anything you can think of. Custom textures can be imported and applied to selected objects. Various modes allow the user to create individual objects, construct figures with bones, create a scene similar to a film with their custom objects, and create animations. The website includes plenty of tutorials and links to fan made articles.
    Courtesy of Master_Thief

ArtRage
    Homepage
    Description: Free Painting Software. Very Cool.
    Courtesy of Quietus

Clipfinder
    Homepage
    Description: A handy tool for searching for and downloading video clips from a range of sites.
    Courtesy of Ciaran

Dogwaffle
    Homepage
    Description: free graphic edit program. [From site:] Project Dogwaffle let's you be creative without the fear of mom or wifey yelling at you because you messed up your clothes again. You can paint, but without the occasional spills.
    Courtesy of Gertgregoor

Irfan View
    Homepage
    Description: Basically a graphics viewer that supports a wide range of formats. However can go even more talented after installing the plugin pack provided in their homepage which turns IrfanView into a total multimedia player (with basic Audio/Video playback capabilities)
    Courtesy of LEN

Picasa
    Homepage
    Description: Program made by Google for handling pictures. Picasa has also basic fixes, tuning and effects for pictures. And like every Google product program has excellent integration with internet. Should I add that search function work perfect? The best free alternative for expansive ACDSee. You can choose between 38 languages’ versions.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

Photoshop Album Starter Edition
    Homepage
    Description: [from site]
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Discover the basics of digital photography with Adobe® Photoshop® Album Starter Edition software, the free software that makes it easier than ever to view, find, fix, and share your photos. Fix common photo flaws — like red eye, color, and brightness — in a single click. Easily share your memories! Attach photos to e-mail, or send them to mobile phones. Make your own prints, or order prints, photo books, and more online. Find any photo in a snap with automatic organization that lets you view all of your digital photos in one place using a familiar calendar view.

Photo manager and basic editor from Adobe.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

SketchUp Free
    Homepage
    Description: Google SketchUp (free) is an easy-to-learn 3D modeling program that enables you to explore the world in 3D. With just a few simple tools, you can create 3D models of houses, sheds, decks, home additions, woodworking projects - even space ships. And once you've built your models, you can place them in Google Earth, post them to the 3D Warehouse, or print hard copies. For only 20 minutes you will learn how to draw with this program.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

XnView
    Homepage
    Description: Graphics Viewer/Browser/Converter. Superior to IrfanView.
    Courtesy of Quietus

-------
    Instant Messaging Clients
    -------
    From the Instant Messenger thread:
    Sick of having to run mulitple IM Clients to chat with everyone, as well as dealing with the adware that accompanies the "official" clients? Here you go...

Pidgin
    Homepage
    OpenSource: Yes
    Description: Gaim is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger, and Zephyr networks. Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.
    Courtesy of drone
    AtPG Note - Recently Gaim was renamed Pidgin to avoid law issues. It's also essentially Gaim 2.0. Still good.

Google Talk
    Homepage
    Description: As every Google product Google Talk is simple, fast and effective IM client. It doesn’t have all those fancy options like competition and that’s why I love Google Talk. VoIP integration is far away better than what have competition. Installation is clear and transparent (no spy and/or advertising programs).
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

Nettalk
    Homepage
    Description: Easy to use, good and free alternative for the most popular IRC (Internet Relay Chat) program mIRC. Nettalk has most options as his competition and it’s free.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

Trillian
    Homepage
    Description: Trillian is a fully featured, stand-alone, skinnable chat client that supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC. It provides capabilities not possible with original network clients, while supporting standard features such as audio chat, file transfers, group chats, chat rooms, buddy icons, multiple simultaneous connections to the same network, server-side contact importing, typing notification, direct connection (AIM), proxy support, encrypted messaging (AIM/ICQ), SMS support, and privacy settings.
    Courtesy of drone

Windows Live Messenger
    Homepage
    Description: New version of Windows’ integrated Windows Messenger. Live has new look (maybe too fancy) and many new options like off line sending of messages and much better handling with contacts. What annoy is high level of advertise provided by MS.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

-------
    Office Utilities/Suites
    -------

AbiWord
    Homepage
    Description: The best free alternative for MS Word. AbiWord is much better than its counterpart from OpenOffice (Writer). Program is small, super fast, a lot of available fonts and plug-ins, full compatibility with MS Word and etc.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

OpenOffice
    Homepage
    Description: Microsoft Office replacement package, able to save documents to most major file types. In other words, if you're used to saving things as .doc, you will be able to continue doing so. Also supports PDFing without any additional software. As their mission statement reads: "To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format."
    Courtesy of Lemur

Sumatra PDF
    Homepage
    Description: open source pdf that doesn't try to report back to adobe HQ. Lightweight but perfectly functional for reading.
    Courtesy of Furunculu5

WinMerge
    Homepage
    Description: WinMerge is an Open Source visual text file differencing and merging tool for Win32 platforms. It is highly useful for determing what has changed between project versions, and then merging changes between versions.
    Courtesy of Bijo

CutePDF
    Homepage
    Description: Can write almost any printable document to PDF.
    Courtesy of Bijo

-------
    Security
    -------

AxCrypt
    Homepage
    Description: AxCrypt is free and easy to use open source strong file encryption for Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP, integrated with Windows Explorer. Encrypt, compress, decrypt, wipe, view and edit with a few mouse clicks. Cryptographic primitives are AES-128 and SHA-1.
    Courtesy of Bijo

OSSEC
    Homepage
    Description:
    OSSEC is an Open Source Host-based Intrusion Detection System. It performs log analysis, integrity checking, Windows registry monitoring, rootkit detection, real-time alerting and active response.
    Courtesy of Furunculu5

Steganos LockNote
    Homepage
    Description: Store your most valuable notes in a LockNote. Hide your everyday notes in a safe place. Application and document in one: the mechanism to encrypt and decrypt a note is part of it. Secure, simple, independent. No installation required.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

TrueCrypt
    Homepage
    Description:
    best data encryption app period, open source eor otherwise (and it is open source)
    Courtesy of Furunculu5

Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Homepage
    Description: A proficient anti-spyware application. Note that Ad-Aware does not have the immunizing functions of SpywareBlaster or Spybot. But we love it anyway. "It comes with Ad-Watch, a program who catches many changes in the registry and let you know whats going on. Also you can download add-ons, some useful and some not." - Caius
    Courtesy of Lemur

AntiVir
    Homepage
    Description: Offers good detection of, and online protection from viruses, worms, Trojan horses and dialers.
    Courtesy of AdrianII

Avast!
    Homepage
    Description: [from website] Avast! 4 Home Edition is a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users and non-commercial use. Both of these conditions should be met! Our company offers the Home Edition free of charge, since, in our opinion, it is possible to avoid global virus spreading by efficient prevention; however, many user are not able to or do not want to pay for antivirus software.
    [from hoom] Its the only free AV for xp64 that I'm aware of (important since I have x64) & I was never particularly impressed by AVG.
    Courtesy of hoom

AVG Anti-Rootkit
    Homepage: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-...otkit/us/crp/0
    OpenSource: No
    Description: AVG Anti-Rootkit is a powerful tool with state-of-the-art technology for detection and removal of rootkits. Rootkits are used to hide the presence of a malicious object like trojans or keyloggers on your computer. If a threat uses rootkit technology to hide itself it is very hard to find the malware on your PC. AVG Anti-Rootkit gives you the power to find and delete the rootkit and to uncover the threat the rootkit is hiding.
    Courtesy of Lemur

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
    Homepage
    Description: Free anti-virus software with robust support and frequent updates.
    Courtesy of Lemur

Comodo Firewall
    Homepage
    Description: (From Author's Website)
    PC Magazine Online's Editor's Choice
    Secures against internal and external attacks
    Blocks internet access to malicious Trojan programs
    Safeguards your Personal data against theft
    Delivers total end-point security for Personal Computers and Networks
    LeftEyeNine

CWShredder
    Homepage
    Description: Small utility which removes CoolWebs browser hijacks. Truly priceless.
    Courtesy of Big King Sanctaphrax

Hijackthis.exe
    Homepage
    Note: look around the site a little bit to find it.
    Description: A very useful registry viewer/cleaner. Be warned, though, it is possible to trash your registry with this-check with someone who knows what they're doing if you don't.
    Courtesy of Big King Sanctaphrax

Hitman Pro
    Homepage
    Description: Super anti-spyware programme that combines its own heuristic analysis, any payware programmes already installed on your computer, as well as all of the following freeware programmes: Ad-Aware SE 1.06, Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4, Spy Sweeper 3, 4 and 4.5, Spyware Doctor 3.2, SpywareBlaster 3.5.1, Microsoft KB912919, Spyware Block List, NOD32 AntiThreat 2.5, Sysclean Package and SuperDAT VirusScan. You get that uncanny feeling someone is hijacking your computer, let Hitman run in safe mode. It’s a cold-blooded killer and it gives you a full report afterwards.
    Courtesy of AdrianII

Pocket Killbox
    Homepage
    Description: Pocket KillBox allows you to manually delete files that anti-virus and anti-spyware say they will delete, but won’t.
    Courtesy of AdrianII

RegCleaner
    Homepage
    Description: Clears your registry of old and obsolete entries created by discarded software.
    Courtesy of AdrianII

RootkitRevealer
    Homepage
    Description:
    Description: RootkitRevealer is an advanced rootkit detection utility. It runs on Windows NT 4 and higher and its output lists Registry and file system API discrepancies that may indicate the presence of a user-mode or kernel-mode rootkit. RootkitRevealer successfully detects all persistent rootkits published at www.rootkit.com, including AFX, Vanquish and HackerDefender (note: RootkitRevealer is not intended to detect rootkits like Fu that don't attempt to hide their files or registry keys).
    Courtesy of Bijo

Smitrem
    Homepage
    Description: [from website] SmitRem is a tool created to remove the Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c malware infection and it’s variants, AntivirusGold, PSGuard Spyware Remover, SpySheriff, Spy Trooper, SpyAxe, Security Toolbar, WinHound and SpywareStrike.
    [from hoom] Those are nasty bits of malware that other software has difficulty getting rid of. My fathers PC got infected by the initial round of SpywareStrike, nothing I tried helped & Smitrem had a fix several days before any other malware/spyware vendors.
    Courtesy of hoom

Spybot Search & Destroy
    Homepage
    Description: Spyware remover that also allows locking of certain elements of the registry.
    Courtesy of Lemur

Spyware Blaster
    Homepage
    Description: Preventive tool that immunizes Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Mozilla against spyware infestation.
    Courtesy of Lemur

Windows Defender
    Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    Description: a free spyware protection tool.
    Courtesy of Bijo

ZoneAlarm
    Homepage
    Description: Free firewall with extensive GUI, as well as control over incoming and outgoing traffic.
    Courtesy of Lemur

-------
    System Utilities
    -------

7-zip
    Homepage
    Description: Open source zip tool. Supports:
    * Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
    * Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM and DEB
    Courtesy of drone

Copernic Desktop Search
    Homepage
    Description: Copernic Desktop Search (CDS) brings the power of a sophisticated, yet easy-to-use search engine right to your PC and allows you instantly to search files, emails, and email attachments stored anywhere on your PC hard drive. It executes sub-second searching of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files, Acrobat PDFs, and all popular music, picture and video formats. CDS also conducts a desktop search of your browser history, favorites, and contacts.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

DBAN - Darik's Boot and Nuke
    Homepage
    Description: It's just a bootable floppy that lets you quickly wipe your hard drive by overwriting with zeros, or, if youre real paranoid, it supports DoD level specs with multiple passes writing random data. Good stuff.
    Courtesy of Xiahou

GParted
    Homepage
    OS: runs under Linux, handles filesystems ext2/3, FAT16/32, hfs, jfs, NTFS, reiserfs, ufs, xfs
    Description: This tool can be downloaded as an ISO image and burned onto a bootable Linux CD for partition management. It's essentially a open source clone of Partition Magic, with a myriad of filesystems supported. Haven't tried it yet, so I'm not quite ready to sing it's praises, but I've got a shortage on my C: drive right now, and giving $70 to Symantec just to move over 5 GB from my D: drive does not sit very well with me. Anyone else use this tool yet?
    Courtesy of drone

JkDefrag
    Homepage
    Description:
    Free (released under the GNU General Public License) disk defragment and optimize utility for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/X64. Completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead, with several optimization strategies, and can handle floppies and USB disks/sticks. Included are a Windows version, a commandline version (for scheduling by the task scheduler or for use from administrator scripts), a screensaver version, a DLL library (for use from programming languages), and versions for Windows X64.
    AtPG note: Great utility, I use it frequently.
    Courtesy of Xiahou

PDFCreator
    Homepage
    Description: PDF print driver that allows user to create PDFs from within any application that supports printing.
    Courtesy of Lemur

SequoiaView
    Homepage
    Description: Ever wondered why your hard disk is full? Or what directory is taking up most of the space? When using conventional disk browsing tools, such as Windows Explorer, these questions may be hard to answer. With SequoiaView however, they can be answered almost immediately. SequoiaView uses a visualization technique called cushion treemaps to provide you with a single picture of the entire contents of your hard drive. You can use it to locate those large files that you haven't accessed in one year, or to quickly locate the largest picture files on your drive.
    Courtesy of KukriKhan

Sysinternals System Tools
    Homepage
    Open Source: Some
    Description: The Sysinternals web site provides you with advanced utilities, technical information, and source code related to Windows NT/2000/XP/2K3 and Windows 9x, Windows Me internals that you won't find anywhere else. Check the site out, there're 50+ tools for all purposes.
    Update: Microsoft bought Sysinternals, so who knows what's next. Thanks to drone for the heads up.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

UltraDefrag
    Homepage
    Description: UltraDefrag is powerful Open Source defragmentation tool for Windows NT. It is very fast, because the defragmenting is done by kernel-mode driver. They are three interfaces to them: graphical, console and native. The GUI is very useful, because it represents your filesystem visually as a color coded cluster map. The console is another option for those that prefer the command line. It is also allows you to run UltraDefrag from the task scheduler and scripts. Finally, the native executable will run at boot time in a manner similar to chkdsk.
    Courtesy of Bijo

ATI Tray Tools
    Homepage
    OS: MS Windows 2000/XP/2003 (also has support for 64-bit versions)
    Description: Must have program for all owners of ATI Radeon graphics cards. ATI Tray Tools is a small utility that can be found in the windows tray which then allows instant access to options and settings. Quite handy and quite a small download. This is a fantastic tweaker for ATI Radeon cards.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

CCleaner
    Homepage
    Description: "System Optimization and privacy tool". Cleans junk in your computer.
    Courtesy of Quietus

CPU-Z
    Homepage
    Description: CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system: CPU (Name and number, Core stepping and process, Package, Core voltage, Internal and external clocks, clock multiplier, Supported instructions sets, Cache information), Mainboard (Vendor, model and revision, BIOS model and date, Chipset (northbridge and southbridge) and sensor, Graphic interface), Memory (Frequency and timings, Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table) and System (Windows and DirectX version). Must have program for identification.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

Dead Pixel Buddy
    Homepage
    Description: Useful little gadget that runs through a spectrum of colours displayed by LCD monitors to test for dead pixels.
    Courtesy of sapi

Foxit Reader
    Homepage
    Description: Loads pdf files instantly, and scrolls down with no fuss what so ever. Good alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    Courtesy of Sasaki Kojiro

FreeCommander
    Homepage
    Description: FreeCommander is an easy-to-use alternative to the standard windows file manager. The program helps you with daily work in Windows. Here you can find all the necessary functions to manage your data stock. You can take FreeCommander anywhere - just copy the installation directory on a CD, USB-Stick or even a floppy disk - and you can even work with this program on a foreign computer.
    Courtesy of Bijo

Fresh Diagnose
    Homepage
    Description: Fresh Diagnose is program for diagnostic and benchmark your hardware. It is free alternative to the most popular SiSoft Sandra. It doesn’t have options like full version of Sandra but it’s better than the free version of Sandra.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

GSpot
    Homepage
    Description: Identifies the codecs needed to play media files.
    Courtesy of Pannonian

ImgBurn
    Homepage
    Description:
    ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!

JDiskReport
    Homepage
    Description: JDiskReport enables you to understand how much space the files and directories consume on your disk drives, and it helps you find obsolete files and folders. The tool analyses your disk drives and collects several statistics which you can view as overview charts and details tables. This is ad- and nag-free uncrippled binary multi-platform software that is free of charge and that never expires. Requires Java.
    Courtesy of R'as al Ghul

Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
    Homepage
    Description:
    Ever wanted to quickly and easily define your own keyboard layout for a language Microsoft doesn't support? Or define your own keyboard layout so you can quickly and easily enter your favorite symbols with a simple keystroke? Have the keyboard work on 64-bit platforms, or make use of Vista's custom locales to provide new language names? Well, want no more: the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator is here!

Riva Tuner
    Homepage
    Description: Rivatuner is one of the (if not the) best Tweak Utilities available for NVIDIA GeForce and ATI Radeon based videocards. RivaTuner is a complete powerful tweaking environment, providing you everything you may need to tune NVIDIA GPU based display adapters. The widest driver-level Direct3D / OpenGL and system tuning options, flexible profiling system allowing to make custom settings on per-application basis, both driver-level and low-level hardware access modes, unique diagnostic and realtime hardware monitoring features and exclusive power user oriented tools like built-in registry editor and patch script engine make RivaTuner's feature set absolutely unmatched. RivaTuner supports all NVIDIA display adapters starting from Riva TNT family up to the latest GeForce 8 series and widest range of NVIDIA drivers starting from the oldest Detonator 2.08 up to the newest ForceWare drivers family.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

SpeedFan
    Homepage
    Description: Freeware tool to monitor the temperature of almost anything in your computer, as well adjust the fan controls for case fans and CPU fans. It can also be used to adjust the clock of your CPU.
    Courtesy of TosaInu

xplorer² lite
    Homepage
    Description: The lightweight version of xplorer² is not a crippled unusable salesman of the professional version. It shares the same browsing and management engine, and gives many rival professional file managers a run for their money — literally! It is a complete little file manager, albeit lacking a bit in bells and whistles.
    AtPG note: Make sure you use the right link to the lite version and not the trial of the pro version.
    Courtesy of Bijo

XXCLONE
    Homepage
    Description: Simple disk cloner, "Competes with Norton Ghost, DriveImage, MaxBlast."
    Courtesy of TosaInu

-------
    Text Editors
    -------

Notepad++
    Homepage: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
    Description: a good fast-working replacement for Notepad, also capable of highlighting source code for many programming languages. It has some nice features shown on the website.
    Courtesy of Bijo

PSPad
    Homepage
    Description: If Notepad is not good for you and you don’t want to pay for UltraEDIT then it’s the right program for you. PSPad is advanced, one windowed Unicode text editor (not text processor) specified to both programmers and ordinary users.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

TED Notepad
    Homepage
    Description: Simple, fast and functional program which easily replace Windows Notepad and partly for WordPad. Clipboard function works perfect (up to nine). There is useful option called Complete Word. Tools menu has a lot of options which easing typing.
    Courtesy of DukeofSerbia

-----------------------------------------------
    I'll post more when I think of them and have time. Please post your own and/or corrections to what I've posted!
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 01-13-2009 at 23:34. Reason: Just another update

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: The Freeware and Open Source Software Thread

Firefox is open source, so I'm not sure why you indicated that it is not.

I'll come back when I've got more time and post info about my favorite PDF and graphics tools ...

Fixed. I wasn't sure, and they don't seem to make a big deal about it being open source.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Irfan View
    Category : Multimedia Viewer
    Description : Basically a graphics viewer that supports a wide range of formats. However can go even more talented after installing the plugin pack provided in their homepage which turns IrfanView into a total multimedia player (with basic Audio/Video playback capabilities)
    Homepage : www.irfanview.com

LEN-approved

More as soon as I get up..

Somebody said Maxthon ?

Added!

XnView - Graphics Viewer/Browser/Converter. Comment: Superior to IrfanView. Homepage: http://www.xnview.com

ArtRage - Free Painting Software. Comment: Very Cool. Homepage: http://www.artrage.com

CCleaner - "System Optimization and privacy tool". Comments: cleans junk in your computer. Homepage: http://www.ccleaner.com

Inkscape - "Vector" Graphics Software. Comment: Haven't use it much to comment. Homepage: http://www.inkscape.org

edit: added links.
    Last edited by Quietus; 01-19-2006 at 03:35.

PDFCreator
    Homepage
    Description: PDF print driver that allows user to create PDFs from within any application that supports printing.

Spybot Search & Destroy
    Homepage
    Description: Spyware remover that also allows locking of certain elements of the registry.

Spyware Blaster
    Homepage
    Description: Preventive tool that immunizes Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Mozilla against spyware infestation.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
    Homepage
    Description: Free anti-virus software with robust support and frequent updates.

ZoneAlarm
    Homepage
    Description: Free firewall with extensive GUI, as well as control over incoming and outgoing traffic.
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-19-2006 at 04:28.

Thanks for the contributions, gents! They've been added, and appropriate credit is given.

I forgot another free anti-spyware application (please note that none of these anti-spyware apps conflict with each other, so you can run all of 'em if you like, at no risk to your PC):

Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Homepage
    Description: A proficient anti-spyware application. Note that Ad-Aware does not have the immunizing functions of SpywareBlaster or Spybot. But we love it anyway.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

GIMP
    Category : Photo Editing/Graphics Designing
    Open Source : Yes
    Description : Sometimes compared to the fortune-worth graphics designing program Photoshop, GIMP has quite a lot of powerful features than would be expected from such freeware/open source programs. The releases follow the way to be a harsh rival in the market to the "dear" seniors through some time of further development.
    Homepage : www.gimp.org
    LEN-Aprroved : No - I did not try this myself.. But this much of recommendation has to be true.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 01-19-2006 at 09:37.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Homepage
    Open Source: Some source codes are available
    Description: The Sysinternals web site provides you with advanced utilities, technical information, and source code related to Windows NT/2000/XP/2K3 and Windows 9x, Windows Me internals that you won't find anywhere else.
    Check the site out, there're 50+ tools for all purposes.

JDiskReport
    Homepage
    Description: JDiskReport enables you to understand how much space the files and directories consume on your disk drives, and it helps you find obsolete files and folders. The tool analyses your disk drives and collects several statistics which you can view as overview charts and details tables. This is ad- and nag-free uncrippled binary multi-platform software that is free of charge and that never expires.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul

Homepage
    Open Source: Some source codes are available
    Description: The Sysinternals web site provides you with advanced utilities, technical information, and source code related to Windows NT/2000/XP/2K3 and Windows 9x, Windows Me internals that you won't find anywhere else.
    Check the site out, there're 50+ tools for all purposes.
    These are the guys that busted Sony on their rootkit. Great site, they are fanatics about wanting to know exactly what is running on their PCs.

I got a bunch of tools from this link to Toms Hardware:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/...ows/index.html

This includes:

7-zip, an Open Source Zip tool.
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    This supports:
    * Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
    * Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM and DEB

CDex, a freeware CD ripper/MP3 encoder/analog recorder
    EDIT-> BKS has the right url. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

Also has links to OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Cygwin, GIMP, and some other windows tools.
    Last edited by drone; 01-19-2006 at 21:42.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Opera
    Homepage
    OS: Windows, i think Linux and (horror of horrors) Macs, whatever crap OS they run on. Probably the souls of small children.
    Description: A nice alternative to IE or FireFox. Tabbed browsing FTW! Also, in the event you accidentally close it while looking at stuff, when you reopen it, it will still be on your webpage you were looking at. You can also change the skin and colour of it for your personalised web browsing experience. Voice feature is nifty too. 'Opera, exit application!'

Goldwave
    Homepage
    Description: A nice but brilliant program that can do the thing most of us want to do - convert .wma and .wav files into mp3's! Still trying to figure out how to get round copy protection on Napster files though.

GCFScape
    Homepage
    Open Source: Possibly
    Description: Great if you want to access sound files on games like Half Life 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

CDcheck.
    Homepage
    Description: A handy programm which helps prevent,detect and recovers damaged files ( from a Cd ), with an emphasis on error detection.
    Easy to use and can be very helpfull if you suspect a CD containing corrupt/damaged files and would like to try and fix it.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Hijackthis.exe
    Description: A very useful registry viewer/cleaner. Be warned, though, it is possible to trash your registry with this-check with someone who knows what they're doing if you don't.

CWShredder

Description: Small utility which removes CoolWebs browser hijacks. Truly priceless.

CDex
    Description: Excellent CD ripper-encodes to an extremely wide range of formats, with file names/directories/bit rates etc fully customisable. There is no excuse to use WMP rather than this.
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 01-19-2006 at 21:22.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    CDcheck.
    Homepage
    Description: A handy programm which helps prevent,detect and recovers damaged files ( from a Cd ), with an emphasis on error detection.
    Easy to use and can be very helpfull if you suspect a CD containing corrupt/damaged files and would like to try and fix it.

Hm, i might give this a look. Might be helpful for some of my older, more beaten games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    With this thread I hope to start a .Org collection of the best free software - both freeware and open source.
    Excellent initiative and worthy of its own sticky, albeit maybe in another forum.

My suggestions:

Pocket Killbox
    Homepage
    Description: Pocket KillBox allows you to manually delete files that anti-virus and anti-spyware say they will delete, but won’t

AntiVir
    Homepage
    Description: Offers good detection of, and online protection from viruses, worms, Trojan horses and dialers

Hitman Pro
    Homepage
    Description: Super anti-spyware programme that combines its own heuristic analysis, any payware programmes already installed on your computer, as well as all of the following freeware programmes: Ad-Aware SE 1.06, Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4, Spy Sweeper 3, 4 and 4.5, Spyware Doctor 3.2, SpywareBlaster 3.5.1, Microsoft KB912919, Spyware Block List, NOD32 AntiThreat 2.5, Sysclean Package and SuperDAT VirusScan. You get that uncanny feeling someone is hijacking your computer, let Hitman run in safe mode. It’s a cold-blooded killer and it gives you a full report afterwards.

RegCleaner
    Homepage
    Description: Clears your registry of old and obsolete entries created by discarded software
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Here seems like a good enough place. Stick!
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Thank you, Adrian. :stwbow:

I've added your recommendations to the list.

And I've updated the format and made a few aesthetic fixes.

And thanks for the sticky BKS!
    Last edited by Alexander the Pretty Good; 01-21-2006 at 02:18.

I'm glad the thread is stickied. Next time I fry my PC, I'll be able to find all of my free tools in one place. God bless our Org, every one!

Oh, and how did we forget to include OpenOffice?

OpenOffice
    Homepage
    Description: Microsoft Office replacement package, able to save documents to most major file types. In other words, if you're used to saving things as .doc, you will be able to continue doing so. Also supports PDFing without any additional software. As their mission statement reads: "To create, as a community, the leading international office suite that will run on all major platforms and provide access to all functionality and data through open-component based APIs and an XML-based file format."
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-21-2006 at 04:15.

Done. Are the categories satisfactory? I'm not sure where to put some of them...

I'm going to have to start looking at the ones I don't already use!

Since OpenOffice does graphing, calculating, and all of the random stuff that MS Office does, I think it's a mistake to put it under "word processing." Then again, it's the only open source office replacement software I'm aware of, so maybe it gets its own category. "Office," perhaps?

Oh, and I did a little digging about Firefox, since the question mark bothers me. The only official releases of the 'fox are for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. That's it. There are ports, there are betas, there's other stuff floating around, but I think we can kill the question mark with a clean conscience.

This is now my official Faovite Thread(TM) of the entire Org.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

freeware Game site:
    http://www.caiman.us/
    this is a page wich has a lot of freeware games on it.
    like Glest wich is a pretty RTS. It just needs more units and stuff.
    and some fine other games. (not all are win xp compatible).

pc security:
    hitman ^pro
    a verry usefull freeware tool. verry usefull and good.
    you can find it with google
    works with xp. others?

game/program creator
    gamemaker
    http://www.gamemaker.nl/
    a free and easy to use game/program creator. With wich you don't have to kno code to be able to make something. Tough there has a verry handy and easy to learn code in it.
    Needs direct X version something
    works with every version of windows I've had.

graphic edito
    dogwaffle
    http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free/
    free graphic edit program
    works with XP and 98

clickteam installer
    http://www.clickteam.com/English/install_creator.htm
    free install creator.

all of the above are freeware but not opensource.

and for audio editing I think audacity is verry good. but I saw it was already posted. I like the Idea Alexander the pretty.
    Last edited by Moros; 01-21-2006 at 13:19.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Babylon 5: I've Found Her
    Homepage
    Open Source: Not to my knowledge.
    Description: Excellent physics-based spaceflight game based on the Babylon 5 series, with a good story and great gameplay. Recently updated with a skirmish option.

Glider Pro
    Homepage
    Open Source: Not to my knowledge.
    Description: Fly a paper aeroplane through a large variety of houses on a room by room basis using vents to move upwards, whils avoiding obstacles such as cupboards. Loved it when I was younger.

Scumm VM
    Homepage
    Open Source: Yes.
    Description: Makes it possible to play such classic Scumm-based games, such as the first two Monkey Island games or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, all over again under modern Windows OS.

Edit: oh, and great initiative!
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 01-21-2006 at 16:26.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Thanks guys!

Honestly, this is a sneaky way for me to get free stuff.

And Lemur, is that better?

Alexander, your list just keep getting better. Viva la open source!

[edit]

One thing I would change, however. Since open source is the bee's knees, perhaps open source options should lead off each category? What do you think?
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-22-2006 at 06:00.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurmania
    Alexander, your list just keep getting better. Viva la open source!
    God, look at all the intelligent, simple, user-friendly, democratically-inspired, well-presented, elegantly worded, smartly configured free stuff!

Yum yum.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Lemur - ideally, there would be multiple ways to sort the entries. I don't think there is such a way within a forum post, though. ( ) I'll work on that next.

We need more open source stuff! Too much "not open source" stuff!

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Hello.

I bring you new goodies.
    Do you hate the realplayer as I do?
    Imo the realplayer behaves like a virus. It always tries to reinstall itself
    after numerous deinstallations. It can be a severe pain for those using the AOL-software (I don't but have made my experience). Additionally it comes
    with tons of ads and godknowswhatelse. It's an ugly pest.
    The quicktime player isn't that evil but annoying nonetheless.
    The supported formats .ram and .mov etc. are essential on the internet and you don't wanna miss the possiblity to play them. So what to do?
    Use the free alternatives. It's that easy.

Real Alternative 1.46
    Freeware
    Open Source: no?
    Description: Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player.
    Homepage: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

QuickTime Alternative 1.68 final
    Freeware
    Open Source: no?
    Description: QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages.
    Homepage: http://www.free-codecs.com/QuickTime...e_download.htm

Both alternatives make use of teh old Media Player Classic:
    - Media Player Classic [version 6.4.8.7]: this is a full-featured player which has internal decoding support for DVD, MPEG-2, MP3, MP2, AAC, AC3 and DTS. It also has internal support for opening Matroska and Ogg containers. Media Player Classic is also capable of playing QuickTime and RealMedia content if those codecs are installed.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurmania
    I'm glad the thread is stickied. Next time I fry my PC, I'll be able to find all of my free tools in one place. God bless our Org, every one!

Oh, and how did we forget to include OpenOffice?

OpenOffice
    Homepage
    Go Open Office

That wonderful piece of software saved me £100 (instead of buying Microsoft Office).

You got all the stuff that I used: Ad Aware, AVG + OO etc

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast