Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB April Preview

Default EB April Preview

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans

We are still working hard at the project and each day brings us closer to a new big update to EB.
    The new update will correct more CTDs and bugs, as well as fine-tune some aspects of the mod to make it more historically accurate and enjoyable.
    However, we use the term update instead of patch, as it will have much more than just a few fixes here and there. New units and new skins will be added, as well as more traits & ancillaries and building updates.

The team is also working on porting EB to v1.5 which will make the mod even more enjoyable with the new set of options and possibilities that version of R:TW gives us, such as rearranging cultures.
    A new steppe government system is also being worked on, which will feature three different options with four advancement levels.

Enough with the introduction, to wet your appetites, here are some images of new units that are going to be in the next update to EB.
    And of course, a big thanks to Agart, Alin, Forgus, Psycho V and spirit of rob for making these units. And also a big thanks to the other modellers & skinners who have made many more units we are not showcasing now. Another big thanks to Teleklos Archelaou for the amount of work he's done on steppe governments. And also thanks to Dux Corvanus for the masterpiece at the end of this preview.
    Enjoy!!

------------------------------------------

Getai Tarabostes
    Mounted war bands comprising warriors provided by the tarabostes families, usually veterans attached to a war chief, in this respect resembling the Gallic nobility, they form the main volunteer force for pillage raids. They are fearsome all-round cavalry, well armored and looking upon war as to a class-affair. Their overconfidence combined with dacian religious beliefs makes these men prone to charge against tremendous odds as long as their chieftain is alive; thus, they lack the discipline required to any elite cavalry, but their traditional ferocity can always turn the tide of battle.

Historically, the tarabostes had a much more independent spirit than any centralised authority would have prefered. Each of the more important tarabostes houses seems to have had its own dava (the equivalent of the oppidum) and they mantained rather large forces at their own expense; their troops were experienced and loyal, bound to their leader through a system of privileges and favors. These proved their worth during Burebista's campaigns against the Boii and Taursicii, when they seem to have had the upper edge over the Celtic cavalry. Still, precisely these forces provided the tarabostes the needed self-confidence when they assasinated Burebista in 44 B.C., upon hearing the news that Caesar no longer threatened the kingdom's borders.

Kleruchoi Phalangitai - Ptolemaioi
    The Ptolemaic and Seleukid kings had a distinct problem in their military administration of far flung empires: namely that the number of ‘safe’ Greek troops was never very large, and had to be carefully used in battle. However, their phalanx had to be maintained, so each Empire designed a novel solution: the establishment of the Kleruchy, or military settlement. Each Kleruch was given a plot of land and some ersatz equipment, as well as a tax reduction, and in turn pledged to fight for the dynasty of his employment. The Kleruchs included, in order of numbers contributed, Jews, native Syrians, Libyans, Persians, Chaldeans, and many, many others. They are armed with the traditional weapons of the phalanx, namely a shield, sword, and pike. Armored with linen, they make up a strong, professional corps that, while not quite as powerful as Pezhetairoi, are at least less expensive.

Historically, Kleruchs made up anywhere from 40-60% of the main phalanx, which freed up many Greeks to fight in more elite units. Many Kleruchs who served in these units were often able to join more prestigious units and be replaced by others, leading to the Kleruch Agema and Galatian Kleruchs and Iudaioi Hippeis under the Ptolemies, or the Argyraspidai, Thorakitai, and Iudaioi Taxeis under the Seleucids. They form a vital link in the chain of a complete army for the Asian and African successor kingdoms, and are not to be discounted. While less intrinsically valuable than Pezhetairoi, they are able to hold a line quite well if properly supported, and can indeed free up your army to include more cavalry and other essentials that would once have been taken up by better and more expensive pikemen.

Rauxsa-alanna Baexdzhyntae (Roxolani Riders) - Hayasdan, Pahlava, Pontos, Sauromatae & Rebels
    The lances used by the Roxolani riders represent a shift of emphasis in Sarmatian warfare from mounted archery and attrition warfare towards fierce charges and shock combat. Equipped with the kontos, a lance over four meters long usually wielded with both hands, and wearing good scale armor, Roxolani lancers can deliver a charge that few foes, mounted or on foot, can withstand, though a solid wall of pike or spear points will still be largely immune to such frontal attacks. Even so, many horse archers still fight alongside them and they themselves also carry bows and are adept at the feigned flight and all the other steppe maneuvers that can throw an enemy into disorder. In addition to kontos, bow, and scale armor, a longsword completes the lancer’s panoply.

Historically, even the first armies of horse archers that emerged from the steppes probably contained a core of heavy cavalry. In this regard, the appearance and spread of armored riders wielding a long two-handed lance represented an innovation in steppe warfare more because of the specialization of their equipment and their greater numbers than by being a radically novel concept. For the Sarmatians in particular, the lancers were a relatively late development. Their first traces come from the Volga area in the third and second centuries BCE, but the troop type does not seem to have spread westward for some time. Moreover, the lancers, though they proved to be an effective complement, never completely superseded the horse archers. Nonetheless, Sarmatian armored lancers made an indelible impression upon Greek and Roman witnesses and eventually became the archetypical Sarmatian image.

Celtic generals' helmets.

Here is a little sneak peek of the first stages in our new nomadic faction system. Once a nomadic faction conquers a province, they will have to make a decision about either migrating their peoples into it or enlisting the peoples currently in the province as their dependent allies. If they do choose to migrate into the province, another decision will present itself: the player will have to choose whether or not to retain a nomadic lifestyle (not available in all provinces) or to adopt a life there that is more settled and based upon agriculture. Other nomadic buildings aren't shown here, but this will be the most important decisions a player makes when they conquer a new province, and it will determine many other things, such as unit types recruitable there and what types of buildings might be constructed there.

And as an added bonus, a glimpse of something different:

Start guessing

We hope you’ve enjoyed this news update!
    Please note that unless stated otherwise, ALL pictures, names, and descriptions shown in our previews are works in progress. We continue to improve on all parts of EB, and we will continue to do so long after our initial release.
    Since some areas where these news items are posted cannot handle wide images, we appreciate your restraint from quoting full-size images.
    As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them is here, where the EB team is most active:

Europa Barbarorum ORG forum

Europa Barbarorum TWC forum

We give special thanks to Imageshack that provides us with a simple, foolproof, and free way to show you all these pictures each week.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

The Europa Barbarorum team.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Default Re: EB April Preview

Not much can be said about this. It's pretty clear a lot of people have to change their pants after seeing this. The new Celtic general's helmets are... wow... The new faction icon, a new Asian faction to replace the Yuezhi I assume. Nomadic governments, new units, improved everything. Many lives will be consumed by you EB. Many lives, never to see the light of day again. I thank you.

Wonderful work

Not affiliated with Red Dwarf. Member Ianofsmeg16's Avatar
    Home of Palm trees, cats with no tails, three-legged men, fairies...and more german bikers than germany

After seeing that Preview, it's safe to say, I need a new keyboard
    When I was a child
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The child is grown,
    The dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb...

Proud Supporter of the Gahzette

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Ahh the dorky hat command contest takes it to a new level...

I'm looking forward to the 1.5 port. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by fallen851; 04-12-2006 at 01:29.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

you teases you

Wow. Thanks for the update. Do we not get a picture of the Tarabostes? Just a description?

The icon looks awesome...some sort of kneeling, stylized elk-lion. Cool beans.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

There is a picture for the Tarabostes. Try refreshing or something. Pretty cool looking Getic unit too. Would've worked fine my my Getai campaign, psh.

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

Awesome stuff! The new faction Icon is really nicely done. Syrianish? I can't see the pic of the tarabostes either, but the other ones look great, makes me want to play some different factions. And umm...quit playing oblivion!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

Somewhere out there Member vizigothe's Avatar

Looking forward to the port, keep up the work guys.
    In Pace Requiescat.

Post Re: EB April Preview

I beleive the new faction icon is for Xionnu or the Huns. The symbol depicted a God-Deer. The ancient Turks and Mongols both worshipped that God-Deer. In Mongolian language BUGA is a deer. When the Turks migrated to the West they became agricultural, semi-nomad people. This deer symbol has another meaning. The ancient nomads believed that god-deer was a goddess and god-wolf was a god and when they married, the nomads were born. Wolf presents harsh reality, danger, murdurious intent, survival skill, glory and victory (dishonorable if it's required). Deer presents love of nature, strong support of justice, favor of underworld lords. These opposing sides create a perfect mix of whole complete universe. Nowdays, the Turks are muslims and the Mongols are buddhists.

I can't wait to play as one of those steppe warlords. I guess not too long.

Forsmark, Sweden, where the radiation keeps me warm.

Very nice preview EB-team! Thank you.

Can't wait for 0.8!
    I support the Pike and Musket:Total War

Also Europa Barbarorum supporter!

Looks fantastic! The Open Beta feels more like a living video game with all these updates and patches.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesisvsbrad
    I beleive the new faction icon is for Xionnu or the Huns. The symbol depicted a God-Deer. The ancient Turks and Mongols both worshipped that God-Deer. In Mongolian language BUGA is a deer. When the Turks migrated to the West they became agricultural, semi-nomad people. This deer symbol has another meaning. The ancient nomads believed that god-deer was a goddess and god-wolf was a god and when they married, the nomads were born. Wolf presents harsh reality, danger, murdurious intent, survival skill, glory and victory (dishonorable if it's required). Deer presents love of nature, strong support of justice, favor of underworld lords. These opposing sides create a perfect mix of whole complete universe. Nowdays, the Turks are muslims and the Mongols are buddhists.
    The Xiongu would be roughly where the Yuehzi currently are, wouldn't they, or more to the east? I'm pretty sure they got driven that way by the Chinese, and caused the Yuezhi to migrate southwards. It looks to be another steppe faction, at least, which should keep those Baktrians on their toes.

Great stuff, anyway! It looks like the steppe factions will be a lot more interesting to play now, the government system makes them stand out even more. I'm not convinced those Gallic helmets would be very practical, but they do look real nice.

The Tarabostes are just a little blue square in my browser though, anyone else got that problem?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Realy nice work EB..Cant wait to play this update..I cant also see The Tarabostes..
    cheers

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

strange, I can see the tarabostes.

Looks Scythian, to me. Doesn't it look Scythian? I think it looks Scythian. Plus, it's in gold. I'm betting it's some Scythian tribe.

And I love those pimpin' helmets. I was thinkin' to myself the other day, "Man, if the Aedui had paved roads, they'd be my favourite faction." Not only are they getting paved roads, but also their generals are gettin' some bitchin' new swag.
    "Fear is the enemy of logic. There is no more debilitating, crushing, self-defeating, sickening thing in the world--to an individual or to a nation."
    --Frank Sinatra

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

We will never have a Hsiung-Nu faction... they are even more out of the map than the Yuezhi were.

And I will be releasing a guide to the nomadic government, with that nice diagram, in time for the next release.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

[QUOTE=Mujalumbo]Looks Scythian, to me. Doesn't it look Scythian? I think it looks Scythian. Plus, it's in gold. I'm betting it's some Scythian tribe./QUOTE]

Yeah thats sure looks like a Scythian deer...
    Awsome work guys....keep it up.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steppe Merc
    We will never have a Hsiung-Nu faction... they are even more out of the map than the Yuezhi were.
    Figured that would be the case. Did they move in from the east after trouble with the Han dynasty and drive the Yuezhi southwards, or is my memory failing me?

Still, as long as the new faction's a steppe faction. I've always wanted to play a proper nomad type people, but they've always seemed underrepresented in other mods.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

very nice work keep up guys
    μηνιν αειδε θεα Πηληιαδεω Αχιληοs ουλομενην

That dude with the swan on his helmet is awesome.

I originally thought that it would be the Scythians because the dear looks like some Scythian gold symbol, but the Sarmatians seemed to have replaced the Scythians when the mod got released and I don't see why EB would change its mind on this issue.

As for it being the Xiongnu, I really don't see why they would put them in and take the Yuezhi considering the fact that the Xiongnu were supposed to have destroyed the Yuezhi and sent the rest fleeing into other territories.

The Xiongnu and Yuezhi have too strong a relationship as far as combat goes for it to really be the Xiongnu, it would sort of be like taking Batman out of Gotham city and putting the Joker in his place, it just wouldn't work, you need the both of them to make it interesting.

Also the Xiongnu had conflicts with China and you'd need to have China in there to effectivly tell their story.

I really have no Idea who they could be, I would like to think Scythians.

This is fairly exciting.

Could it be the Sakae tribes? Or is that just the Iranian name for Scythians?

Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder Member Steppe Merc's Avatar

The Sauromatae, in this next build will deffienetly be a proper nomadic faciton... we just had serious recruitment and building issues, which is why we rearanged it a bit.

"But if you should fall you fall alone,
    If you should stand then who's to guide you?
    If I knew the way I would take you home."
    Grateful Dead, "Ripple"

And as an added bonus, a glimpse of something different:

Start guessing

Hi all!

When I guessed that the new faction icon is for Xiunno, I didn't have a proof to back my assumption. Now I have some.

This image depicts deers on top of one another. If ya travel in Central Asia, nomad homeland, you can find plenty of ancient tombs with deer and wolves on them. These have scattered through Mongolia, Siberia everywhere north of the Chinese Great Wall. If you read The Secret Book of Mongolia, the first thing you realize is how much they respected and worshipped deers and wolves before XV century. The Tibetan Buddhism and later Stalin's regime tried to wipe out all nomad culture. Russian forced assimilation still going strong to wipe out every last nomad culture.
    Sucks to be a nomad in XXI century.

some ancient bowcase and stuff. Notice the Nazi symbol. Originally this symbol meant peace and prosperity in nomad culture. But Nazi Germans took it and made it an evil symbol in worldview. Damn those copyright violaters!

I true northern nomad girl with a deer. These nomads in Siberia lived under harsh Soviet regime and still under Russian aggressive rule. I can understand their dialect but can't speak their language.

Probably some sister has been practicing the art of archery. In earlier previous post I mentioned that "their women practiced archery." BTW, the "MERGEN" means an excellent archer or a wise person.

I took this pic from a Russian site. This is a worship site of a local nomads.

This is also a worship area of nomads.

Another one.

A sister of a nomad group

Another sister of another group. These people like to decorate everything incuding their door (behind her).

800 years ago nomad warriors.

A nomad girl, maybe a semi-nomad?

Sorry if the post was out of the main topic.
    Last edited by nemesisvsbrad; 04-13-2006 at 02:41.

Check out the GumShoes here. Your case has me convinced, that first picture you posted is definately the creature displayed in the Icon circle.

I'm guessing the Warrior classes will not be that much different from the Yuezhi. Archers and horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    Check out the GumShoes here. Your case has me convinced, that first picture you posted is definately the creature displayed in the Icon circle.

I'm guessing the Warrior classes will not be that much different from the Yuezhi. Archers and horses.
    http://indoeuro.bizland.com/tree/iran/scythian.html

From the twcenter board, found by Mangalore.
    Last edited by jedispongee; 04-13-2006 at 16:38.

"Aye, there's the rub" Member PSYCHO V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851
    Ahh the dorky hat command contest takes it to a new level....
    lol ..doing our best

PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Ok, so am I right in understanding that 0.8 will be for the 1.5 patch? Or is it going to initially be for 1.2 and then be ported over?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast