Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EB June Preview :: Eastern Kingdoms

Default EB June Preview :: Eastern Kingdoms

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans

We are still hard at work on v0.8 (tired of hearing that perhaps by now !!) and are making some progress.
    The porting over seemed to go nicely and then BANG!!, a new hardcoded limit popped up and made our work a little bit more miserable. As stated before, the recruitment system EB currently has is not compatible with v1.5 and we are reworking on it so no CTDs will be in 0.8.

We know you are eagerly awaiting the 0.8 and so are we, because since the last preview, development has started on some areas not touched for months if not years. You will be pleased when you hear what it is!

But to keep your EB cravings at bay, we have hammered together a little preview for you to see.

As always we there are people that need thanks. Arman, Seydtlitz & Spartan Warrior for modelling and Agart, Arman, Forgus, Kali & Spartan Warrior for skinning them.
    Also thanks to Teleklos Archelaou for doing the GUI and loading screens, Aymar de Bois Mauri for providing ingame shots of the units & Angadil, Foot & Steppe Merc for their work on the Eastern factions and helping with this preview.

Nakhararakan Tiknapah - Armenian Royal Guards

The Nakhararakan Tiknapah, the elite foot-soldiers of the Royal Palaces, are usually few in number and serve only as guardsmen to the Hai Arkah (Armenian King) and his princes. But their lengthy training, their fierce loyalty and their superior equipment mean that at times it is prudent and wise for their numbers to be increased and their role to be revised. Their position on the battlefield is to hold the line - their skill and determination spurring their allies on - while they wait for the inevitable charge of their horse-bound cousins - the Nakhararakan Aspet. Their equipment, mostly supplied by themselves, is the finest work that Hayasdan can produce, only bested by the King’s armour itself. They wear the old Assyrian-style helmet, conical in shape and a traditional choice for the men of Hayasdan. Their scale-corset is finely crafted from iron mined in Hayasdan itself and it is forged in the metal-smiths whose craft has an ancient history in this part of the world. They carry a long spear and a large, traditional, circular silver shield with an iron rim, similar in style to the Greek Aspis shield, and a stout defence against the slashing sword of an enemy.

Hye Sparapet - Armenian Royal Bodyguards

The Hye Sparapet, the loyal cadre of Nakhararakan Aspet who exclusively serve the Royal Princes and the Hai Arkah (Armenian King), are among the fiercest warriors known to Hayasdan; unbowing in the face of certain death, unquestioningly loyal to their King. Fully clad in the most well crafted of armours, these men are a fearsome sight on the battlefield, bolstering allies and weakening the resolve of their enemies. Their armour consists of a conical helm, in the Assyrian-style, with an aventail guard to protect the neck; an iron scale corset covered with a decorative leather tabard; and banded arm and leg guards to protect the limbs from harm. The Hye Sparapet, armed with a two-handed lance, can be the decisive force on a battlefield, routing enemies with a single charge. If, however, they get bogged down in combat their maces will crush the enemy beneath them, crumpling all but the hardiest of armours and stoutest of shields. For greatest effect the Hye Sparapet should be used at the defining moment of a battle when all other forces are committed to the fray, charging into the flanks or rear of an enemy in an effort to break them.

Historically, the Armenian lords assembled a strike force of heavily armoured men to comprise their personal guard. Those warriors were fiercely loyal and courageous. However, their limited numbers (they were very expensive to equip) severely constrained their tactical impact.

Hallamtati Thanvare - Elymaean Archers

These infantry archers are recruited from the homeland of the Elamite people from the highland elements of the Zagros mountains. These infantry lack the speed and manoeuvrability of horse archers instead relying on their powerful long composite bow. It seems likely that at least some of these infantry were those from the highlands turning to mercenary service rather than another year of sheepherding. They are willing to give good service but lack any particular attachment to their overlords.

The Elamites are among the oldest of nations and are mentioned in ancient Babylonian and Assyrian documents. Throughout their history the Elamites were known as dangerous warriors skilled in the use of the bow. This tradition continued into the Hellenic period when they are recorded as serving the Seleucid kings and the later Parthian kings in their turn.

Chalkaspidai - Bronze Shields

The Makedonian conquests never included Pontos, but their influence in military matters found a home on the shores of the Pontos Euxine. The phalanx is the natural tactical formation of a part-time citizen levy. Their training cannot be extended or in depth as they have their own lives and role to play in society. These men are part-time conscripts able to serve during the summer campaigns, but they must be released at harvest or famine will follow. The Bronze Shields or brazen shields are the elite phalangitai of the Pontic state. The chalkaspidai can be a powerful and dangerous weapon in the hands of a competent general, and a slaughterhouse in the hands of a fool. The phalanx, known already in ancient Sumeria, is at its simplest, a compact body of spearmen, formed up in depth to present a hedge of spears to any attacker. The weak point of the phalanx is the flanks and if the enemy is able to engage the flanks then the formation will quickly fall into disorder. The sarissa is a clumsy weapon, not well suited to close quarters combat, but such is not its purpose. It is meant to be an impenetrable wall of pikes, creating a moving fortress which cavalry can use to launch their attacks. Vital to the success of the pikemen are hoplites, or hypaspistai, whose purpose is to ward the vulnerable flanks of the phalanx.

Historically, the latter day Hellenic states forgot the nature and vulnerabilities of these pikemen. Trying to use these infantry as an offensive arm, these pikemen failed to achieve for their masters what they had never been intended to do. The Makedonian conquests never included Pontos, but their influence in military matters found a home on the shores of the Pontos Euxine and the phalanx was adopted in that area too.

Artish Pada - Eastern Javelinmen

Pontos :: Pahlava
    Armed with nothing but a small shield and a handful of javelins these men risk their lives in closing with the enemy with only the lightest of equipment. These men deploy in a cloud before the heavy infantry dashing back and forth to release their deadly missiles. These infantry skirmishers fought in open formations so as to maximize the number of men able to get a throw and minimize the effect of enemy missiles. Lacking armour, training and heavy weapons these light infantry stand no chance if committed to melee.

Historically, most armies of the classical period found use for poorly equipped levies as skirmishers, very often as javelinmen, as these troops required relatively little training and financial investment, relying mostly on widespread natural skills and scant gear, while still providing some useful service.

Grivpanvar

The Grivpanvar are nobles from the highest level of cataphracts that the Pahlava have to draw on. The elite of the clan host form this armoured fist that represents one of the most powerful armoured cavalry the world has ever seen. They deploy in the heaviest armour available and use the kontos as their primary shock weapon. Armoured in iron lamellar corselets, covered by a leather tabard, laminated leg and arm guards and with iron shining from the scale horse barding, these are truly men of iron, in bright armour for horse and man. The horse bearing such loads must be both large and strong, and both the Parthians and Achaemenid Persians bred just such horses, the Nisaean breed of Persia.

Historical evidence suggests that the Parthian, heavily-armoured Grivpanvar were, at least partially, a product of military influence from the Central Asian steppes which had inherited the armoured cavalry traditions of the Massagetae and the late Achaemenid Persians. Their name derives from the Pahlavi griwban "neck-guard", a helmet armour guard, from whence 'Grivpan' warrior. In the 3rd century AD, the Romans would begin to deploy such cavalry calling them clibanarii, the name thought to derive from griwbanwar or griva-pana-bara.

And some reskins:

Pantodapoi - Hayasdan

Akontistai - Pontos

And as a bonus:

Late Pahlavan Kings loading screen you will see in 0.8:

And here are some Eastern GUI shots:

And as a dessert:

Now what could this be?

We hope you have enjoyed this preview of some of the Eastern units.
    Please note that unless stated otherwise, ALL pictures, names, and descriptions shown in our previews are works in progress. We continue to improve on all parts of EB, and we will continue to do so long after our initial release.
    Since some areas where these news items are posted cannot handle wide images, we appreciate your restraint from quoting full-size images.
    As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them is here, where the EB team is most active:

Europa Barbarorum ORG forum

Europa Barbarorum TWC forum

We give special thanks to Imageshack that provides us with a simple, foolproof, and free way to show you all these pictures each week.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

The Europa Barbarorum team.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Default Re: EB June Preview :: Eastern Kingdoms

Great as always! The level of detail is unmatched.

Edit: One of the things I did notice is that the Grivpanvar seem too clean. Maybe they could be dirtied up a bit; unless those bright colors are really supposed to be that bright.

...in bright armour for horse and man.
    Heh, it probably would help if I read first.
    Last edited by abou; 06-08-2006 at 00:59.

"Aye, there's the rub" Member PSYCHO V's Avatar

awesome !
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Pretty awesome looking stuff. Keep up the great work. Im really looking forward to the 0.8 release.

pure awesomeness...I don't know how you guys do it

But (I know I'm a hecklar for asking) how far are you one the road to a successful port? The charge bonuses actually work, as well as a wealth of other differences in the combat engine, so will you have to re-work unit stats? Can you give us desperate plebs an idea of how far along you are? please?
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

Holy hell, this is awesome. Friggin' Armenian Royal Guards are incredible! Now with EB, I can finally play a campaign as my ancestors... that is if 0.8 ever comes out, heh. Just teasing of course, but shyte, it's been a while. I even just got a new, high-end gaming computer to ensure I can enjoy the delights EB has to offer at its best. Can't wait for the release, great preview!

Oh, and dying to know what new faction's icon that is. Does this mean we have two new factions on the way?
    Last edited by Dooz; 06-08-2006 at 02:10.

Wow...awesome as always..keep up the good work EB team....
    cheers

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader
    And as a dessert:

Now what could this be?
    It's obviously a ram...

Great preview again!

These previews are essential to maintaining my high standard happyness, as I am not able to play EB on 1.2...
    Last edited by Reenk Roink; 06-08-2006 at 02:22.

Excellent preview, and thanks for putting it together. The units look great.

I just hope we won't need to have a July Preview.

And its clearly the faction symbol of either the trolls or the billy-goats (ahh, to be a child again).
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Great stuff. I am very keen for EB 8.0!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing (perhaps hoping?) that the ram is the new icon for a new faction - the Libyans.

I know that might be just wishful thinking on my part - but the little we know about the Libyans includes the likliehood that the Ram represented their principal deity (if memory serves me...).

Do I win a prize, or is it back to the drawing board?

H.

Sardonic Antipodean Member Trithemius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    Excellent preview, and thanks for putting it together. The units look great.

I just hope we won't need to have a July Preview.

And its clearly the faction symbol of either the trolls or the billy-goats (ahh, to be a child again).
    Not Cyprus? It could be a moufflon?
    Trithemius
    "Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Quote Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca
    Great stuff. I am very keen for EB 8.0!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing (perhaps hoping?) that the ram is the new icon for a new faction - the Libyans.

I know that might be just wishful thinking on my part - but the little we know about the Libyans includes the likliehood that the Ram represented their principal deity (if memory serves me...).

Do I win a prize, or is it back to the drawing board?

H.
    Hmm, that might make sense to be a faction, although I think I remember EB team members arguing against Libya being included... but with the new faction slots opening up, it is a possibility. The icon gives off a desert vibe, and Africa might be due for some more residents and competition for the Ptolies and Carthage.

amazing! great work!
    but, but when it will be released? really cant wait to play it!

It will be released on the 31st of February of next year.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I like. Armenians look great. Only thing I'm not so keen on is the colouring of the Grivpanvar; the colours on the chest, saddle and helmet looks too bright too me.

The interface looks very nice, I particularly like the clearly visible victory conditions.

BTW, is it an ibex? That'd place the faction in North Africa, I'd think; I'm pretty sure I heard of a Nubian ibex somewhere.

Edit: a quick search in google for nubian ibex provided me with this:
    http://www.digital-images.net/Images..._Ibex_4849.jpg
    and the information that this creature is found in Egypt, Sudan, and the Arabian peninsula; habitat is mountainous, so that would mean the western and south ends of the Arabian peninsula. That would imply a Nubian faction or an Arabian faction in the areas currently known as Yemen and Oman.
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 06-08-2006 at 09:34.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Simply splendid! This next port seems to make the East much more playable!
    "Money isnt the root of all evil, lack of money is."

(Mark Twain)

Forsmark, Sweden, where the radiation keeps me warm.

Great preview! Keep up this good work.

I wonder what that faction is... Any expert have some guesses?
    I support the Pike and Musket:Total War

Also Europa Barbarorum supporter!

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

fantastic! Cant see the moment to play all these thinks! and some new skins really looks good!

the only think i dont like are the new long-haired dull-faces pantodapoi (preferred the old ones, more expressive, far better but no matter bytheway)

liked the new ui (pheraps a bit too baroque and stoned or marmorized in my opinion)

wonderfull the iran-coins loading screen (i really loved it)

so im soo excited and i cant see the moment to play EB 0.8, deeper history-game experience ever made...

greets

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

The Ibex also lives in Northern Arabia, close to Israel.

And I hate exams. I want to play EB EB EB EB EB EB....

Splendid guys.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Curse exams also! One day last week i had a whole 5 hour day of exams!!
    Theres just no time for EB!
    "Money isnt the root of all evil, lack of money is."

(Mark Twain)

Hubba hubba!
    "The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr."

I only defended myself and the honor of my family” - Nazanin

i believe the goat is Norwegian.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Quote Originally Posted by Obelics
    liked the new ui (pheraps a bit too baroque and stoned or marmorized in my opinion)
    One problem is that given those three cultures - what sort of GUI would be appropriate? There just isn't much of anything of Pontic, Armenian, or Parthian third century BC art or architecture (virtually nothing). Faced with this situation, and a desire to have something a little different than the other GUI's, I went with some of the distinguishing characteristics of Parthian art/architecture that we do have from a little later periods. This includes frescos (the wavy border is from remains of Parthian art, though it was originally a mosaic I think that I sort of textured and zoomed out to make it look like a pattern on fresco instead), and mud brick. Replicating mud brick in a nice way was difficult, but I zoomed out far enough away to let a pattern set. Parthian curved brick facing was also well known - in doorways and their forms of the arch and such - so the circular brick patterns seemed quite appropriate. Finally, placing a real Parthian fresco in the background in the middle seemed foolhardy, as it would overwhelm the middle town images, and also there are so few that none seemed very appropriate. It was just a paucity of logical alternatives that lead to this GUI, but for these three factions it's the best that we could think up.

Considering that this nubian ibex, or whatever goat it is, is the symbol of a great nation, a great nation ready to wreck havoc upon his unsuspecting enemy's, a great nation who's warriors will crush all that oppose it. Considering all this ....

i find it really awkward that the goat is smiling...

yep, a smiling goat.

what's this new faction supposed to be? the "why cant we all just get allong republic"?

Quote Originally Posted by Djurre
    Considering that this nubian ibex, or whatever goat it is, is the symbol of a great nation, a great nation ready to wreck havoc upon his unsuspecting enemy's, a great nation who's warriors will crush all that oppose it. Considering all this ....

i find it really awkward that the goat is smiling...

yep, a smiling goat.

what's this new faction supposed to be? the "why cant we all just get allong republic"?
    But it's a sly smile, a knowing one. With his wizened old beard, this is the smile of a great nation who has just peed in your coffee without you knowing, and is watching you grimace and curse and is thinking "yeah, I roll like like that."

On topic, those new units look very impressive. The last Parthian campaign I played felt a little incomplete, and hopefully the new units will put that right.

I like the idea of a faction in arabia, though, does spain or.... the mountain regions where armenia resides have mountain goats? I wouldn't be surprised by lusitanians or the eastern Iberians.

Could it be the Sabean Kingdom in southern arabia??
    Though why it should be included is beyond my comprehension, the same applies to my next option- the kingdom of aksum.

Ps- sudden flash of inspiration: Nabateans anyone??
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Yeah, the closest thing to that mangoatram emblem was in South Africa. I did a lil research on the ibex, and in addition to being some sort of printing/editing/software company, ibex of various sorts are found throughout N. Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, Spain, the Alps, and other mountainous regions Western Eurasia. However, from the pics I saw, the Alpine and Nubian/Lybian Ibex variants look most similar to the fella on that faction icon.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by amritochates
    Could it be the Sabean Kingdom in southern arabia??
    I think it is. I finished a book about them recently and the goats were all over their monuments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast