Thread: Medieval 2 Modding Research I: Using Vercengetorix's IDX Extractor

Exclamation Medieval 2 Modding Research I: Using Vercengetorix's IDX Extractor

now assuming you know how to use the IDX extractor, you can still extract sound files from Medieval 2 data/sounds and do anything you like with em and even add em to RTW. (i added the Euro_Battle song to RTW)
    you can even extract skeletons from data/animations.
    unfortunatly you cant for some reason extract animations from data/animations disabling you from adding great M2 animations to RTW.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 10-20-2006 at 21:49.

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval 2 Modding Research I: Using Vercengetorix's IDX Extractor

Good find. You couldnt extract the animations because they most likely use a different file format. The .mesh format perhaps?
    Last edited by shifty157; 10-19-2006 at 02:56.

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Quote Originally Posted by shifty157
    Good find. You couldnt extract the animations because they most likely use a different file format. The .mesh format perhaps?
    I don't think so.
    Looking at pack.idx with xvi32 all the animations are .cas.

Some examples:

data/animations/CR_Spear/CR_spear_run_to_walk.cas

data/animations/CR_arquebus/CR_arquebus_shuffle_backward.cas

data/animations/HR_Crossbow/HR_Crossbow_horse_req/HR_Crossbow_fs_horse_die_forward_2.cas

data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lostab.cas

data/animations/MTW2_Musket/MTW2_Musket_knockback_from_right.cas

Up to 190 pages of pdf file

so any ideas on extracting animations?
    or maybe the new demo will allow us?

Moved to M2TW modification.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Will it be able to mod new factions

Quote Originally Posted by DreadMaster
    Will it be able to mod new factions
    well this is about using the IDX extractor. once M2 is out, im sure there will be a turorial perhaps to mod new factions. (adding new factions right?)

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I think this deserves a research wiki?

Hi All

The animation files are in a bit of a different format from RTW ( as well as all biped figures having different skeletons - no cloak bones and additional bones for jaw, eyebrow and two clavicles between torso and upperarms).

The initial part of the animation files are the same, with no. of frames, no. of bones, frames x bones x quat values for rotations, but then there frames x bones x local translations (but this also includes the 'Y' or perpendicular to ground plane movement of the pelvis bone). After this there are frames x 'X' and 'Z' values for movement across the ground plane by the pelvis.

Without having to understand all the above, the short answers are, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to use MTW2 animations in RTW and unless you can set up new skeletons in MTW2, you won't be able to use RTW animations in MTW2. All the meshes designed for RTW will have to be reskinned to fit MTW2 skeletons.

The CAS extracter won't work on the new animations without being modified.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news

cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Well I guess we'll have even more problems with models. I hope CA will tell us something about modding tools so that we can see if we have to work that stuff out ourselves.

VOXIFEX MAXIMVS Member Shigawire's Avatar

And what about all these so-called XML files? where are they?

why do I get the feeling like we've just been had?

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Insanity perhaps is inevitable Member shifty157's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawire
    And what about all these so-called XML files? where are they?
    Everything is contained within the pack files. Though once unpacked .xml files can be editted with notepad.

VOXIFEX MAXIMVS Member Shigawire's Avatar

Excellent..

Then all we need is animation/model/settlement tools..

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

bah, here comes the wait for proper tools. time to get a campaign map ready.
    CA better release some tools cos were lost with the models,settlements and encrypted export_descr... files.I feel like crying.
    But thx for this it helped alot m8. i love medieval soundtrack. It rocks
    Leader of The Machiavellian Syndicate - A open community for modders and fans to talk about Total War and Oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maculio
    CA better release some tools
    Is there no way to unpak those files yet in M2TW?
    WE WILL RIDE INTO ROME!

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Not yet, an unpacker is being released with CA to come with the first patch. and(more than likely) more tools to come after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Not yet, an unpacker is being released with CA to come with the first patch. and(more than likely) more tools to come after that.
    Thanks

DFid they give any indication as to when that would be released? There are a couple of things I really want to change!
    WE WILL RIDE INTO ROME!