Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EB Preview :: Lusotannan

Default EB Preview :: Lusotannan

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans.

As some of you might know we announced a third faction some time back. And as some of you might have suspected, it's the Lusitanians or in EB, Lusotannan. Thus the Iberian faction will be focused entirely on the Lusotannan, one of the most known ancient Iberian tribes, if not most known, who made the Iberian peninsula an ill-favoured place to be for any Roman legionnaire during the Roman republic and early empire. This means the Lusotannan will only start with the Lusitania province in western Iberia and the former Celtiberian province will instead be a rebel allied one.
    But you think we would announce a preview with only this as the announcement? No of course not. A lot of work has gone into the Lusotannan and you can see the new units below.
    Enjoy!!

And of course, many many thanks to Aymar de Bois Mauri for the work on units and the faction itself. Teleklos Archelaou for his work on graphics. But our biggest thanks goes to Sarcasm who has done a tremendous effort on descriptions and research and without him, this faction wouldn't have been so far, and also to Anthony who helped with making a "Lusitanian language" based on Indo-European and it's relationship to the Celtic language variants in play in this region.

Factional units

Iovamann:

Caetranann:

Gestikapoinann:

Scortamareva:

Ambakaro:

Ambakaro Epones:

Iberian Regional units

Balearic Light Infantry:

Balearic Slingers:

Dosidataskeli:

Loricati Scutari:

Iberi Lanceari:

Some ingame screenshots of the new standards for Lusotannan and Iberian rebels

Here are the banners for everyone:

First the EB Member (only) signature banner:

Then the smaller one you can put in a sig banner with other ones too:

And if you like userbars instead, here is that:

As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them is here, where the EB team is most active:

Europa Barbarorum ORG forum

Europa Barbarorum TWC forum

We give special thanks to Imageshack that provides us with a simple, foolproof, and free way to show you all these pictures each week.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

The Europa Barbarorum team.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 11-19-2006 at 18:32.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Default Re: EB Preview :: Lusotannan

Bloody hell teh sexeh.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Cool Re: EB Preview :: Lusotannan

im blown away by how sweet this is dude

absolutely awesome

is the Loricati Scutari on the left... the one wearing the roman style armour as apposed to the bronze scale, is that a unit for other factions to recruit if they conquer the Lusitanian region?

im really excited now, cant wait for 0.8

Great stuff! Iberia just became interesting, it'll be a heck of a steup from the last build.

Post Re: EB Preview :: Lusotannan

Very nice, the quality of the unit graphics themselves is top-notch, can't wait to see them in-game.

I find the names etc. very interesting also. I always meant to ask why EB's Iberian units had such latin-sounding names, these ones sound a lot more indigenous. The "ann" has a vaguely Q-Celtic ring to it.

Any chance of seeing some faction or unit descriptions though? Or will we have to wait? Hopefully not for too long.

Antagonist
    "Society is going down the drain, and it's everybody's fault but ours."

Arthurian Total War Developer

Post Re: EB Preview :: Lusotannan

Now get back to work!

Gin Tonic Drinker Member iberus_generalis's Avatar
    Scallabis (mordern Santarém)- Lusitania(modern Portugal)

Go EB!!! GO EB!!!

Viva o Orgulho Luso!! há mais de dois mil anos a desafiar as potencias invasoras!!=)
    Long live the Lusitanian Pride!! For more than two Thousand years defying incoming invanding powers!!=)
    give them what they need!! =)
    how lucky i was for me to come to the net before going to the university city...=) go EB!!!

BTW will we replace the iberia faction or are we gonna be another faction in iberia? it would be fun to have two factions here=)

now im definetly going on to 0.8...just hope there are at least 47 model slots for the units i added to my 0.74.... this just got interesting=)

where can i get a banner of this new faction? i wanna show off my pride in being a descendent of this people...
    Last edited by iberus_generalis; 11-19-2006 at 13:59.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it"Gaius Julius Caesar

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Beautiful! Glad Iberia finally has a proper faction.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Realy nice....

Quote Originally Posted by Dram
    is the Loricati Scutari on the left... the one wearing the roman style armour as apposed to the bronze scale, is that a unit for other factions to recruit if they conquer the Lusitanian region?
    They're the Carthaginian version. It says as much at the top of the picture.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Nice.Now get back to work (I just love using these smilies)

Father of the EB Isle Member Aymar de Bois Mauri's Avatar
    Staring West at the setting sun, atop the Meneltarma

Quote Originally Posted by iberus_generalis
    Go EB!!! GO EB!!!

Viva o Orgulho Luso!! há mais de dois mil anos a desafiar as potencias invasoras!!=)
    Long live the Lusitanian Pride!! For more than two Thousand years defying incoming invanding powers!!=)
    give them what they need!! =)
    how lucky i was for me to come to the net before going to the university city...=) go EB!!!

BTW will we replace the iberia faction or are we gonna be another faction in iberia? it would be fun to have two factions here=)
    Replacement. For another Iberian confederation, wait for EB2 for M2TW.

now im definetly going on to 0.8...just hope there are at least 47 model slots for the units i added to my 0.74.... this just got interesting=)
    Hehehehe...

Sabia bem que não ficarias desiludido...

Quote Originally Posted by Justiciar
    They're the Carthaginian version. It says as much at the top of the picture.
    i must of lost myself in my excitement, thanks.

What are those units that look like Cataphracts on Foot?

And how will the Lancarii unit compare to Cataphracts?

Also can you give us the stats on the units?

You know what?
    Screw Saka Rauka!
    I'm using the Lustianii!
    Last edited by Olaf The Great; 11-19-2006 at 16:29.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

One more thing.
    How many levels of cities will "babarians" and Semi-Barbarians(Like the lustianni)
    Same with cesspools and such.
    Could a Barb Civ turn into a "civilized nation"
    Either way I'm tryin' because The lustiannii should have conquered like the Romans.....

What a world that would be....
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

In EB, the Germans are the only majorly uncivilized faction, with possibly the sarmatians as a close second. The rest have some (mainly large) degree of civilization.
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    What are those units that look like Cataphracts on Foot?
    They are the foot bodyguards and last ditch elite unit of the Vasci kings in northeastern Iberia. They were hand picked veteran warriors. The Vasci were the inventors of a type of armour that used small scales overlapping high-quality mail. It was extremelly effective as armour but heavy and proibitivelly expensive. So, only the most reliable and closest men to the king were equipped with it.

Later Romans used this invention as a basis to create their Lorica Plumata. Scales grew even smaller and the armour became even more perfected.

The Iverni, descendants of the Vasci - invaders of southern Hibernia (Ireland) - also used this type of armour among their most elite warriors. These men very often became mercenaires fighting for the best paying Hibernian chieftain. They gained legendary status in Ireland and were known as "noble black warriors" due to the colour of their equipement and their martial prowess. In Hibernia this armour was called Ceannlann ("Fish-Scales") as opposed to the more usual and less effective large scale coats called Iobarlann ("Scale-Jacket").

And how will the Lancarii unit compare to Cataphracts?
    Lanceari, not Lancarii. As is visible they will be less armoured than any other cata, but with a pretty high morale due to the usual fierceness of the Iberians and to their elite status.

Also can you give us the stats on the units?
    Nope.

You know what?
    Screw Saka Rauka!
    I'm using the Lustianii!
    Hehehe...

Ha! I knew it would be a faction in Iberia - and what an amazing one too!

I am ....speechless...is it ok if i shed a couple of tears of pure joy and happyness?
    LOL...AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!
    We shall rule the ancient world
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Barbs have four city levels now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani
    I am ....speechless...is it ok if i shed a couple of tears of pure joy and happyness?
    LOL...AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!
    We shall rule the ancient world
    Ainda bem que estás contente. Esta preview é um pouco dedicada aos "descendentes" dos Lusitanos...

já nao somos tao poucos assim...povoemos o mundo do RTW e matemos os romanos k nos dominaram por tanto tempo, e nos mataram que nem gado depois da nossa conquista....=)
    just kiding, i was trying to make a small addon for EB with the units from ITW a while back ago but sarcasm said they were not that good, so i stoped trying...still use them though, and hope i can import some later into 0.8 and further widen the Lusitannan pool=) i wish i could model so i could help you guys showing our glorious past in the classic age...

translation: we are not so few as it seems=), let's populate the world of RTW and kill the romans that dominated us for so long, and killed us like sheep after our conquest=) :whip;
    just kiding, i was trying to make a small addon for EB with the units from ITW a while back ago but sarcasm said they were not that good, so i stoped trying...still use them though, and hope i can import some later into 0.8 and further widen the Lusitannan pool=) i wish i could model so i could help you guys showing our glorious past in the classic age...
    Last edited by iberus_generalis; 11-19-2006 at 19:03.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it"Gaius Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Aymar de Bois Mauri
    Ainda bem que estás contente. Esta preview é um pouco dedicada aos "descendentes" dos Lusitanos...
    Já tava na altura de deixarmos de ser o patinho feio não? :)
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

In one fell swoop, the second-to-worst v.74 EB faction has become one of the elite. (Not that this happened overnight, mind you)

Aymar has done great work across the mod, but it's not too hard to figure out where his heart lies, eh?
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

já nao somos tao poucos assim...povoemos o mundo do RTW e matar os romanos k nos dominaram por tanto tempo, e nos mataram que nem gado depois da nossa conquista....=)
    Hehehe...

Também acabaram por se misturar com os Lusitanos. Tal como fizeram em todo o lado. E depois vieram os Visigodos e Suevos e misturaram-se também. E finalmente as várias etnicidades dos invasores muçulmanos. Portanto os Portugueses hoje em dia não se podem identificar exactamente com os Lusitanos em termos étnicos e muito menos em termos culturais...

Well, these units are just 60% of the factional units for Lusotana as well as some of the regionals. There are still a lot of other regionals to be made. Specially for the northern regions, so you won't have to worry about lack of variety even if you don't add those ITW units.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani
    Já tava na altura de deixarmos de ser o patinho feio não? :)
    Hahaha!!

Dizes isso porque ainda não viste o estado de outra facção que aqui temos. Mas não temas. Todas as facções serão bem representadas. Está nos nossos planos desde que fundámos o mod há quase 3 anos...

Quote Originally Posted by Aymar de Bois Mauri
    Hehehe...

Também acabaram por se misturar com os Lusitanos. Tal como fizeram em todo o lado. E depois vieram os Visigodos e Suevos e misturaram-se também. E finalmente as várias etnicidades dos invasores muçulmanos. Portanto os Portugueses hoje em dia não se podem identificar exactamente com os Lusitanos em termos étnicos e muito menos em termos culturais...
    Na verdade e segundo um estudo de DNA recente os genes(linhagem masculina...de pai pa filho, não sei como é em relação aos genes herdados das mães) q predominam são sefarditas e norte africanos(berberes), curiosamente estes ultimos abundam no norte de Portugal e com uma implantação cronologica anterior à invasão arabe...
    Atenção eu disse que predominavam...não disse que eram os únicos...antes q começem a espingardar :)

you said that the germans and sarmatae were the least civilized of all the barbarian factions. What about the casse? I can see how the iberian tribes were influenced by carthage and greek colonies, gaulic tribes by rome, greek colonies, and dacia by Greece, but what kind of knowledge would the casse have acquired and from where?
    I guess to better restate that question: When you say a civ is the least civilized, how are you comparing it to the other civs? Sanitation, road systems, education?

ker dizer k somos todos mouros? buuh.. lol, mas isso e contra intuitivo.... n sera antes k os norte africanos tenham os nossos pk alguns lusitanos tenham fugido pa la?e k se e anterior algo n bate certo na historia.... ou entao as invasoes mouras sao anteriores a data k temos aprendido na historia... entao os os genes referentes aos suevos e ostrogodos? eos referentes a romanos e a lusitanos? ond posso ler esse estudo? e k uma das minhas areas de interesse e precisamente a genetica... dizei ai po ppl poder ler=)

tranlation from the portuguese: do you mean that we are all moorish= buuh lol, but that counter intuitive, can't it be that the northern african have our genes cuz some lusitanii run to northe africa? it's because if those genes are here from before the moorish invasions of Iberia, than there is something not right in this story... can it be that the date the teach us in school is not right and the moors invaded sooner? and where are the roman, suevi, and ostrogoth genes? and the ones referent to the lusitani themselves? where can we read this paper? because one of the areas of interests is precisely Genetics...please do say for us ppl to read it=)
    Last edited by iberus_generalis; 11-19-2006 at 18:42.

Question Re: EB Preview :: Lusotannan

Since when was this the "talk Spanish/Portuguese thread"?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast