Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making EB Run Faster - A Guide

Post Making EB Run Faster - A Guide

Hello everybody,
    I just decided to write guide for all you people with slow computers like mine. I have 256MB of RAM, 128MB Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 4000 graphics card and a AMD Athalon XP 1800+ processor.

I have long loading times, but no stuttering on the campaign map or battle map (I sometimes do, however, get a three second freeze when a powerful unit charges ). It copes fine otherwise. Anybody who has stuttering of any kind on any maphas a background program running which is hogging lots of memory or they are forcing their poor old computer up to settings which are too high and it cannot cope with.

To solve your stuttering problems try this:
    • On the EB main menu click options.
    • Then click video options.
    • Then, on the pre-set settings tab, select "speed" (don't worry, the game does not turn ugly, actually, on my system anyway, the game looks about three times better)
    • Then change the unit size to a maximum of normal. Make sure you go no bigger or you will get stuttering.
    • Then set the strat map and the battle map at 1024x768x16 at a maximum. No higher or you will see lag.
    • Save your settings and exit EB.
    • Click on start, then click on Control Panel.
    • In Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools
    • In Administrative Tools, click on Services.
    • Select the service that you want to turn off by double clicking it and using the drop down menu to click disabled.
    • Now follow this guide below (from http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp)
    Each service is listed as it is in Microsoft's Windows XP Professional. These should be similar in Microsoft's XP Home as well. Under each is the definition given in the Services Manager.
    Alerter
    Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the service is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not receive them. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: I don't want my personal computer telling me anything, ever. Shut up and work! There's few things I find more annoying than a computer constantly wanting to interact with me while I'm using it to do work or entertain myself. A computer is a tool, not a friend or work companion. No Hal, I don't want to talk to you. Perhaps there's a software vendor that can give you a compelling reason why you need this service, but for most home and SOHO PC use it's just an unnecessary service taking up resources and providing risk. Unless you are running a product that requires this service, disable it.
    Application Layer Gateway Service
    Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Internet Connection Firewall
    Comment: Do you want to share your internet connection? That's an article waiting to be written. Let me be clear. Since you can buy a router for $50 or less, and Windows does an awful job routing, using a computer to gateway your other computers to the internet is just stupid. "What about firewalling and admission control?" Well, that's not going to be done through the built-in internet sharing tools. So, we''re not talking about that. If you use a personal computer to gateway your other computers to the internet (and calling it a server doesn't change the reality), you are wasting resources. Buy a $50 router, or a $1000 router for that matter. But, buy a discrete device that is designed to do the job. Use hardware based firewalling (OK, it's all based on software - but I mean a boxed solution, not software installed on a PC that's prone to lose autonomy). And, what about all those cute third-party firewalling tools that plug in to this thing? Man, give me a break. If it runs on top of your Windows installation, it's not a real firewall. Unless this is required by a product you think is necessary, disable it.
    Automatic Updates
    Enables the download and installation of critical Windows updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can be manually updated.
    Comment: There's only two options that may make sense with this service. You should either set it to disable or manual. I'd disable it. Automatic Updates is designed as a tool to aid Microsoft in controlling their product. Props to Microsoft for trying to protect their product from piracy. But, some updates have been known to cause problems. Use it when you need it, and disable it when you don't, unless you're too lazy to do updates on your own. Don't you wonder why all the computers in big, well managed networks don't run Automatic Updates? It's mostly because managers of big networks create their own update policies. If you more completely understand the thinking that goes into deciding whether or not to distribute an update, you could better administer your own PC. Either turn it on and assume the risk, or turn it off and regularly visit Mircosoft's update and news page (discussed more below).
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Uses idle network bandwidth to transfer data.
    Comment: This is one of those tools they require you turn on to enable Automatic Updates. Think about it. It connects your PC to the internet or network and works behind your back to do stuff you didn't explicitly tell it to do. It sounds like a great tool to help hackers collect data from your PC and slowly seep it back to their lair. Unless it's immediately required, disable it. It you use it and then go for some time with no need to use it, disable it. If you can't remember to keep your PC updated with the latest security fixes, you'll need it.
    ClipBook
    Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will not be able to share information with remote computers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: So, you want to copy stuff to your clipbook and allow remote computers to access it? I don't. There may be a software vendor that requires this service to run. I've yet to find it useful. I suggest you disable it.
    Computer Browser
    Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: If you are on a network with other computers, and need to see them, this may be a useful tool. Otherwise, disable it.
    Cryptographic Services
    Provides three management services: Catalog Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this service is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: It is very necessary if you are passing certificates for networking. Unless you are in a large corporate network where connections are managed through authentication, this is unnecessary; disable it.
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    Coordinates transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and file systems. If this service is stopped, these transactions will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: Extremely few personal computers will require this service. If you use it, you may want to review the reasons it is being used. Unless you are accessing network filesystems and databases, disable it.
    DNS Client
    Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: It's typically good to leave this on.
    Error Reporting Service
    Allows error reporting for services and applications running in non-standard environments.
    Comment: Erorr reporting is very useful, if you know what to do with the errors or you are running software that adjusts based on error reporting. This is that annoying "feature" in Windows that constantly pops up wanting to ship information about your software failures to Redmond. People promise me it helps find problems and solutions. I've mostly seen problem reports that you could as easily search out yourself. If you're advanced enough to use this, you'll likely use a search engine just as well. Chances are, the best thing for you to do is disable it.
    Help and Support
    Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: I don't find this service useful, other than sucking up resources. If you know how to use Google, I'd disable it.
    Human Interface Device Access
    Enables generic input access to Human Interface Devices (HID), which activates and maintains the use of predefined hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls, and other multimedia devices. If this service is stopped, hot buttons controlled by this service will no longer function. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: Whether or not you should disable this service, depends on other services you need. If you don't know, turn it off and see if it breaks anything. It says that it deals with hotkeys, however all the system hotkeys that most of us enjoy aren't controlled by this service, they are built into the core OS. Control C, for example, to copy and Control V to past, do not stop working when you turn this service off. It seems this has more to do with specific hotkeys that a software vendor may want to insert into their installed program or internet product. Until you see a reason for it, I'd turn this one off. Personally, I consider relying on such services to be lazy programming. But, there may be good reason for using it if it's more efficient.
    Indexing Service
    Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.
    Comment: To date, nobody has shown me real system performance improvements with this technology. Keep in mind, I'm limited in this conversation to Windows. Indexing is very useful. Indexing databases is very useful. Indexing your computer isn't very useful at all. Typically, if you are on a network, you know where on a network to find your chosen data. If you are not on a network, there's no real performance enhancement to this service that justifies the complexity and resource use. Chances are good you should disable it.
    IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
    Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: Obviously, there may be some usefulness leaving this service as manual, if you have a CD burner installed. If you don't, disable it.
    Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    Provides network address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small office network.
    Comment: This tool does a great job of complicating my internet connection and slowing down transactions. It's not likely this tool is sophisticated enough to make a major impact in your system's performance. You should disable it.
    Messenger
    Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: Turn this thing off! It's a simple kit for anybody that can connect via any network to your computer to access your system and do things you don't want them to. Disable it.
    Net Logon
    Supports pass-through authentication of account logon events for computers in a domain.
    Comment: Unless you need this to operate inside a domain, it's likely not necessary or useful. If you are using a home or SOHO PC and don't have a local domain based network, disable it.
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    Enables an authorized user to access this computer remotely by using NetMeeting over a corporate intranet. If this service is stopped, remote desktop sharing will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: Do you really want a built in tool to share control of your desktop over your network connection? There are better tools for doing this kind of work, if needed. If someone you buy software from insists you let them use this tool to help you install it one time, then enable it and disable it immediately afterward. For typical use, you should disable it.
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote Assistance will be unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the Dependencies tab of the Properties dialog box.
    Comment: Refer to NetMeeting. If you don't want to share control of your computer through your network, disable it.
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
    Manages the RPC name service database.
    Comment: There are some network programs and protocols that require this to be turned on. Chances are you could just turn it off and see if you break anything. If you are using a single PC in your home or SOHO, it's likely just a security risk. If you don't know you need it, disable it.
    Remote Registry
    Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: Seems self-explanatory. You can enable this service to help remote people or programs change your registry. Great hacker tool if you can't secure it. Disable it.
    System Restore Service
    Performs system restore functions. To stop service, turn off System Restore from the System Restore tab in My Computer->Properties
    Comment: This is almost useless if you ever have a problem with damaged drives, corrupted data, or malware. It uses a lot of resources and isn't useful for most people. You can turn it on before you install a big piece of software. This service allows you to backup to a previous system should you mess your's up with an installation of software or a modification to your system settings, usually registry damage. To improve system performance and take the minor risk of not being able to make your computer work like it did yesterday, disable it.
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution.
    Comment: Very few people use NetBIOS at home. This is the Windows built-in protocol for simple networking. You may need it. Otherwise, disable it.
    Telephony
    Provides Telephony API (TAPI) support for programs that control telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local computer and, through the LAN, on servers that are also running the service.
    Comment: If you use telephony, you probably use discrete devices or proprietary services that don't rely on this service. However, you do need this servive if you use a modem to connect to the ineternet. If you don't specifically need the Microsoft Telephony service, disable it. If you use a modem to connect to the internet, leave it enabled.
    Telnet
    Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including UNIX-based and Windows-based computers. If this service is stopped, remote user access to programs might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: There's just not a circumstance where I can imagine that turning this service on is a good idea. Unless you need to let people telnet into your computer and have a really good reason for doing so, disable it.
    Terminal Services
    Allows multiple users to be connected interactively to a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal Server.
    Comment: As I've said above, there's better tools for remote desktop administration. The idea of Terminal Services is to allow remote desktop administration of a system, like the user was on the actual console. In almost all circumstances you should disable it.
    Themes
    Provides user experience theme management.
    Comment: Themes are cute and bloated. Enabling themes is not a good way to increase performance, but you may think it's neat. If you aren't addicted to cute desktop eye candy, disable it.
    Uninterruptible Power Supply
    Manages an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) connected to the computer.
    Comment: Unless you are using a UPS on your computer and it has the capability of managing the system, disable it.
    Upload Manager
    Manages synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network. If this service is stopped, synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: If you are not in a local network sharing data (files and/or services), disable it.
    Windows Time
    Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: Sometimes it works. Unless you are really needing your time to sync to something running a Windows time server, disable it.
    Wireless Zero Configuration
    Provides automatic configuration for the 802.11 adapters
    Comment: Unless you use 802.11 devices, disable it.
    Workstation
    Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    Comment: If you are not in a local network sharing data (files and/or services), disable it.
    • Now close that and restart your PC.
    • Then go into Start - Run - and type in msconfig, then click Ok.
    • Select the start up tab in the window that has appeared.
    • Pick and chose what you think is important. None of them are necessary so disabling them all would not be as bad thing. However do bear in mind that anti-virus programs may be on the list.
    • Now you need to remove all virus and spyware from your PC by installing AVG Anti Spy and AVG Anti Virus
    • Install them, update them and do a full scan removing all threats.
    • Then go into Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Clean Up.
    • I would recommended that you take out everything, but there may be some things on there that you need such as office backup files. Don't delete them as they will make office detect and repair without a CD impossible. You can, however, remove them should you have the CD.
    • After selecting what you want to delete click Clean Up.
    • Now you need to increase the size of your paging memory file, under Control Panel - System - Advanced. Then set the paging file to something like 1000mb normal size and 2000 max, or whatever number beyond that suits your fancy. The game only needs about 750mb paging size to run, but that's the absolute minimum. Give it more to minimise lag. [advice from pezhetairoi]
    • Now download Ccleaner.
    • Install it and open it. Then click Cleaner and select the Windows tab and select what ever you don't need. I would recommended that you select everything outside of the advanced tab. The same goes for applications. Then click "Run Cleaner".
    • After this has been done select the Registry Tab. I would recommended that you select all.
    • Click "Scan For Issues" and when is asks you to save a backup click yes. This is in case it goes wrong.
    • Now close that and go into My Computer, right click on your hard drive (usually labelled C:/) and select the tools tab. Then click on De fragment Now.
    • Once the program has opened click analyse. If it says disk de fragmentation is recommended then click Defragment. This WILL take a long time...
    • Once it is complete close the program and restart your computer.
    • Look in your system tray (which should be in the bottom right hand corner of your screen) and right click on the two square shaped icons and click "Quit" AVG [Name of Program goes here] on each. If anything else is running down there then close it if you know what it is and think it is unnecessary and don't if you don't.
    • Open Up EB and feel the difference
    I hope this works. If you have any problems post below and I will try to help.

Further tips:
    • Don't play for more than two-three hours at a time or RTW starts a mass slow down. I noticed that battle loading times almost trebelled after three hours.
    • In battles lag is usually reduced if you zoom out due to the computer not having to render too many 3-D models.
    • Make sure that you avoid allowing virus scanners to update or scan during the time you are running EB. This can cause EB to drastically slow down, minimise or CTD.
    Last edited by MSB; 12-25-2006 at 07:42.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Making EB Run Faster - A Guide

That is quite comprehensive.

My two cents: For lazy people or people with only minor slow downs:
    What I do is open "Windows Task Manager", go to the "Processes" tab and close all running processes, with exception of "System", "System Idle Processes", "explorer.exe", and the many "svchost.exe"'s. Closing the preceeding will crash your computer. There are also some that say you can't close them when you try ("services.exe", "winlogon.exe", and anything ending in double 's'), just go to the next.

Legal:
    -(Most of the random processes will go away if you do Avlvs' "Administrative Tools > Services" section.)
    -(Most closed processess will restart when you restart Windows.)
    -(Due to variations in systems, there may be some others processes that crash your computer so don't try this while you have unsave data.)

Most people who have speed problems have a process running and don't know that it is killing them. If I run EB and a BitComet at the same time I get tons of lag, just stopping that save me a bunch.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 12-24-2006 at 09:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Avlvs Libvrnivs Britannicvs Maximvs
    AMD Athalon XP 1800+ processor.
    1.8 Ghz? or How fast is it? The name, at least to me, doesn't mean much.

1.53GHz, IIRC.

IMHO it also helps if you increase the size of your paging memory file, under Control Panel -> System, advanced. Then set the paging file to something like 1000mb normal size and 2000 max, or whatever number beyond that suits your fancy. The game only needs about 750mb paging size to run, but that's the absolute minimum. Give it more to minimise lag.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Post Re: Making EB Run Faster - A Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Gazius
    1.8 Ghz? or How fast is it? The name, at least to me, doesn't mean much.
    AMDs are not measured in Ghz. However to work out their speed I (think) you times the amount given in system information by three.

Pezhetairoi: I have added your advice, thanks

This seems to be very useful information, but if it has been copied off another site you should link to the other site at the least and make it clear what is your own and what is others' work.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    This seems to be very useful information, but if it has been copied off another site you should link to the other site at the least and make it clear what is your own and what is others' work.
    Sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Avlvs Libvrnivs Britannicvs Maximvs
    AMDs are not measured in Ghz. However to work out their speed I (think) you times the amount given in system information by three.
    Yeah, AMDs measure things much differently. Say I have an AMD 1GHz 2200+. The actual clockspeed is 1GHz, but it performs at a level equal to a Pentium running at 2.2 GHz. This is simply because AMD has been able to get more work-per-cycle done than Pentium, but the new Core Duos seem to be getting good reviews - but yet, AMD still hasn't released their new generation of CPUs.

Thanks Avlvs Libvrnivs Britannicvs Maximvs for the lesson in PC performance enhancement.

I have followed your advice and hopefully Deep Thought will be transformed from a lame lumbering piece of silicon crap into a new and improved merely ponderous piece of junk.

Cheers.

Warning!!!! If you are not real sure about what to disable, don't do it. I am not the most computer literate person but when I followed these instructions I messed up my internet connections and it took me over an hour to repair. Be careful to what you disable. By the way my computer did lag a bit when in battles and when I disabled the background programs it did run much more smoothly so these instructions do work just be careful on what programs you disable.

I think that you may have clicked "disconnect" on the icon in the system tray. A simple restart would have fixed that.

Avlvs Libvrnivs Britannicvs Maximvs.

Just a quick line as I have used several of your tips and Deep Thought does appear to be bit leaner, faster and meaner, even if it's still a pile of obsolete junk.

Many thanks.

Your welcome

A question that you might help me with...

When I try to run EB it almost completes loading the game, then CTD with a message saying that video memory is too low. What to do?

Thanks, Palle
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

1) MSB, previously known as ALBM, seems to be no longer posting on these forums.
    2) I think the trick of pezhetairoi is worth a try. Also, consider giving the Guid a very close read, since you appear to have insufficient RAM to make up for the Video Memory issue. (Most likely: your so-called Video Memory is in fact RAM - in other words your Graphics card is something with Hyper/Shared or Allocated memory.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Thanks, and yes, I sold my nifty laptop as part of getting enough money to save my GF's life from hired killers of her ex[1].

I already tried that trick extending the paging size of my own accord, it made no difference.

The video memory is RAM used as storage, at least the error message says something like that.

Thanks

[note 1], it was a hoax to con me out of my money, she knew I would go to any length to save her and is now no longer my GF, cost me appr. Euro 14.000 :-(
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

You, sir, need a .

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    1) MSB, previously known as ALBM, seems to be no longer posting on these forums.
    I remember back in the day, when Aulus Britanicus and I were the two biggest fans of EB when there were few common forum-goers. Way back in the v0.74 days.

&Marcilrille
    That's messed up!

I have uninstalled EB now, sadly:(

I WILL get a new computer and it WILL be reinstalled.

And Bovi, it is not illegal to recieve money, the police can do nothing.

Palle

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    I remember back in the day, when Aulus Britanicus and I were the two biggest fans of EB when there were few common forum-goers. Way back in the v0.74 days.
    Yeah, I can remember the Yuezhi too. Or the debate on the Greek Voicemod, or the Very Sad New Regarding EB thread.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille
    And Bovi, it is not illegal to recieve money, the police can do nothing.
    To receive money is not illegal. To dupe someone into giving them money on false premises is illegal though, the people who engage in such activities are known as swindlers or conmen. Examples of this may be
    • Selling Big Ben or another ware which they have no ownership over
    • Sending false bills to large companies in the hope that they have no clue what they're doing so they'll pay without questioning where the wares are
    • Saying that you will receive 2 million from a lottery (which you never entered in) if you only pay a small amount to process the necessary paperwork
    • Pretending to be kidnapped in order to get a ransom
    • Pretending to be in danger to get money.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Default Sv: Re: Making EB Run Faster - A Guide

A nice tip for those more exprienced with EB and to get a nice start load is to rename the campaign description file to something else.
    This make loading to the main menu pretty much like vanilla.
    Of course you don't get any descriptions for the factions so it's the price you pay.
    But if you have played EB a few times before then you won't miss them and the decrease in loading time makes it worth it.

And where would that file be?

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

I really want to do everything he says, about disabling and such, but I'm a little wary. I'd rather not end up like fatsweets, and his story above. Can someone lead me to the services that are the most aggressive when it comes to consuming RAM etc, so I can do as little editing with as much result possible?
    Last edited by Good Ship Chuckle; 02-05-2008 at 18:16.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

BTW, I think that this thread should be stickied. Lots of help for EB players, that don't have fancy computers.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Indeed. It's a good thread.

I just got a gig of RAM, and am extremely disappointed. I know people who claim they could play battles with thousands of more troops thanks to their new RAM, but I haven't noticed any difference. I can minimize (alt-tab) the game faster, and run more programs simultaneously, but there is no decrease in lag. I'm still limited to 5,000 man battles with all the settings turned down low.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Not that it makes much of a difference really (ok, well AA & shadows do...) textures usually are only in highest level of detail. Also RAM isn't the only thing in the world.
    - Tellos Athenaios

I have very powerfull PC and I had Oblivion Oscuros mod (OOO) with all expansions and minimods running without any lack on 1280x1024 and MAX detail..
    And then I got EB.. and then I got some serious lacks.. but then I found about Alexanders solution at the community so I started using ALX.exe. It made my game 50% faster (and If you have strong PC you could have even more)..

And then I wanted to share the solution with others and made ALX.exe thread
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

Yeah, but alex really dosen't make it 50% faster...

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast