Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

Default First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

I've made a small minimod for 0.81a V2 with a bunch of features that didn't make it into 0.81a but I wanted to have in my next campaign. It mainly adds recruitable generals to the Roman faction and re includes first cohorts to EB and activates the night battle feature. A feature that was also already prepared for 0.81a but not yet activated. For all who don't remember these features from vanilla I have a small introduction below.

Download link V.1.3:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1195

Change log:

Changes in 1.3:
    -Includes all permament bugfixes from EB 0.81a V2 as far as they effect files altered by this mod
    -Praetorian cohorts charge bonus fixed
    -morale bonus of 21 in one pontic temple fixed (now 2)
    -added icons for schildtrom and shield wall formations to EB cultural UIs
    -It's now (hopefully) easier to get a triumph
    V 1.2a
    -includes the changes of the Improved CTD FIX (new EDB)
    V 1.2:
    -Fully comaptible with EB 0.81a
    -Marian legionaries are now more difficult to recruit outside of Italy: They now need at least a level 4 MIC and a type II government
    -fixed several bugs in the roman recruitment system that didn't made it into the hotfix
    -several new quotes

To install:
    -You need an existing EB 0.81a V2 (or EB 0.81a but V2 is recommended) installation before you can install this mod
    -unzip the file into your Rome directory, overwrite all files.
    -delete the "map.rwm" file in your "Rome\EB\Data\world\maps\base" directory

Features:

2 new Roman first cohort units for Marian and Augustan reform eras recruitable in Roma in the corresponding level 5 MIC.

-The first cohorts contains the aquilifer that carries the legions eagle standard that gives a moral bonus to nearby units. They consists of the best legionaries of the legion and thus have slightly better stats than the normal versions. All first cohort are numbered consecutively from I to infinity.

The first cohort of Legio I:

-Eagles can be lost (and of course in this case captured by the enemies of Rome) in battle when the Roman army is defeated and the first cohort wiped out:

With some appropriate consequences for the their general:

The eagle is transferred to the nearest enemy settlement were the roman general can try to recapture it to at least partially restore his reputation. Also this settlement will be a prefered target by the roman AI.

Recruitable Roman Generals
    Recruited generals age and can get traits as normal family members but are not part of your family tree and can't become faction leader until they are adopted.

They are buildable in level 5 MICs by training their corresponding guard units:
    -Equites Consulares in Roma with Camillan and Polybian reforms
    -Equites Consulares in all homeland provinces after the Marian reforms
    -Equites Singulares in all type2 fully Romanized provinces after the Augustan reforms

A newly recruited general:

Night Battles
    -Night battles work as in BI, but without the silly torches. A general with the night attacker trait can choose if he wants to try a night attack. generals can get this trait if the succesfully fought a night battle or have more than 4 command stars. Reinforcing armies lead by gnerals without the night attacker trait, or captains can not participate in night battles.

Also:
    -Commanding officers for all roman cavalry units
    -A new unique building in Phasania (garamante royal cemeteries).

-several new quotes

Last edited by cunctator; 05-17-2007 at 19:24.

Default Re: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

Awesome. Thanks Cunctator, I can now start my Roman campaign with no regrets!

So to use this do I save it to the folder where I installed EB? And after I save it there I unzip the files it's done? (and then doing this: -delete the "map.rwm" file in your "Rome\EB\Data\world\maps\base" directory)

I'm not very experienced when it comes to editing things around, but I really want to try this thing out.

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

Well, I think it is not working, or I have installed wrong. I cannot see First cohors in custom battles and the checkbox for night battles is not working. Shoul I install it over the Rtw folder or over the EB folder that is inside the Rtw one?
    Edited: It should be installed over Rome total war\EB directory not over the Rome total war directory. Now it works ok
    Thanks for this superb mod
    Last edited by Blingerman; 02-18-2007 at 18:43.

Edit: Unzip into the EB folder made a mistake with the zip file.
    Last edited by cunctator; 02-18-2007 at 18:51.

I am now uploading V. 1.1 that really only needs to be unzipped into the main Rome directory and also adds voices to the first cohorts.

cool, just downloading
    Edit: One new thing I have observed that marian first cohortes have 202 soldiers instead of 242 of the imperial one. Is it intended? Is there any problem if I change it manually to 60 in the txt in order to have the 242?
    Last edited by Blingerman; 02-18-2007 at 19:14.

It is intended since the strength of first cohorts wasn't increase to 800 men somewhere in the early principate.

There is no problem if you change it to 60 in EDU.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathEmperor
    So to use this do I save it to the folder where I installed EB? And after I save it there I unzip the files it's done? (and then doing this: -delete the "map.rwm" file in your "Rome\EB\Data\world\maps\base" directory)

I'm not very experienced when it comes to editing things around, but I really want to try this thing out.
    Correct. Normally the 0.81 installer should automatically delete the map.rwm file but it is appearently not doing this. With an old map file weird things can happen like misplace unique buildings.

I can't wait to use this mod for my new campaign, but I have a few questions.

First, are you sure the EDB is the correct one? I was editing my vanilla EB .81 EDB to put in the Saba farms, and I was going to do that again for the mod but I saw that the EDB seemed dated. It had factions like seleukids, armenia, romans_brutii, etc.

Last, will activating the night battles work with using the BI exe for EB?

Great work, and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Censor
    I can't wait to use this mod for my new campaign, but I have a few questions.

First, are you sure the EDB is the correct one? I was editing my vanilla EB .81 EDB to put in the Saba farms, and I was going to do that again for the mod but I saw that the EDB seemed dated. It had factions like seleukids, armenia, romans_brutii, etc.

Eh, those are internal names. We haven't changed them, they just correspond to different factions.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Yea, for example the internal name for romani is seleucids, so can be confusing sometimes. A leftover from the 0.7X culture swap, when things as faction culture were hardcoded prior to R:TW 1.3. The only exceptions is the former "romans_senate" faction whose internal name had to be changed (it's saba now) to deactivate the senate mechanism from vanilla and use the faction slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Censor
    Last, will activating the night battles work with using the BI exe for EB?

Great work, and thanks!
    I've not tested this but since the feature works exactly as in BI in should work without problems.

Damn I already started a 0.81 Romani campaign

This mod isn't by chance 0.81 save game compatible?

Or do I have to start a new campaign?

Post Re: First cohorts, night battles + recruitable roman generals minimod

Sorry Janius, it wont be save game compatible as it adds new units to the game. Unfortunately that always ruins compatibility.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

thx for the reply, will try it some other time then

I installed this mod and started a new campaign. I can't build any regional MIC's in any city. Thoughts?

That's intetional you can't build regional MICs with a type1 government or no real gov. at all. You have to build type IV, 3 or 2 govs. to have access to regional MICs. Only the type allied/client state gov. will give you all regional MIC levels and thus best access to foreign units.

Also in Italy itself italic regionals, as the smanites, are only available in the factional MIC in certain provinces, so that they can disappear in later reform eras to simulate how continous roman rule has changed italian society. Thus a regional MIC would be quite useless in most provinces there.

thanks a lot! Now I can play the ultimate Romani campaign!
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

I know this is really late, but I haven't been able to get this mod to work since I downloaded it.

First I downloaded it and saved it into the folder I have EB installed in. Next I unzipped it in the folder and......nothing.

So I went into the Data folder and unzipped it there and again nothing. By 'overwrite all files' do you mean to delete the original scripts and replace them with the ones included in the download?

I'm completely stumped on this, and I want to get this mini-mod working before I start a Roman campaign.

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

If you are one of the first 40 people who have donwlaoded it you have to unzip it into the Rome\EB subdirectory, thereafter I fixed that so that all later versions have simply to be extracted inly into the Rome directoy as describe in the install instructions.

Where you save the .zip file doesn't matter it is only important where the content is extracted. Since most files that I modified for the mod are also part of regular EB you will be asked if you want to overwrite these files when it is exracted, then just choose yes, you don't have to delete anything manually, except tthe map.rwm if you before upragded an existing 0.8 with the 0.81 patch since this forgotten to add to the 0.81 installer.

The ordinary Rome\data subdirectory is (mostly) not used by EB, so unzipping the mod files there will only srew up your vanilla game.

Hey....any chance for a .81a version

Of course. I've uploaded a new version now, 1.2, compatible with the hotfix 0.81a. It is as savegame compatible as the hotfix. (I could continue my campaign, but you may encounter some problems that wouldn't have been there otherwise.)

Changes in Version 1.2:
    -Fully comaptible with 0.81a
    -Marian legionaries are now more difficult to recruit outside of Italy: They now need at least a level 4 MIC and a type II government
    -fixed several bugs in the roman recruitment system that didn't made it into the hotfix
    -several new quotes
    Last edited by cunctator; 03-06-2007 at 12:46.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Yea! I'm going to download this finally. Definately a must for anyone who loves ROMA! (Though after two hundred years of Romans I don't know when I'll ever start a new campaign.)

(Since this would obviously conflict with the city restriction mod I'm making, I'm thinking of using this as the base to alter. That way this minimod would be needed before the city minimod. I don't suppose you would object, cunctator?)
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 03-06-2007 at 10:09.

Of course not. Maybe it would be best if you combine both mods to have a simple one file install process.

Any chance to add cultures?

Wise and Partially Handsome Member Jarardo's Avatar

What were the old requirements for recruiting Marian Legionaries outside of Itally?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

www.EuropaBarbarorum.com

Quote Originally Posted by kalkwerk
    Any chance to add cultures?
    I think you mean using BI's religion system to simulate different cultures and assimlation processes after conquest. That would change the way EB is working significantly and be too much work for a minimod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarardo
    What were the old requirements for recruiting Marian Legionaries outside of Itally?
    Just a marian level 3 MIC.

Salute komrades
    2 Cunctator
    just installed your mod on 0.81a3(zip).
    one question: in 0.81 I could build Ostia like mercantile port in Roma (6 trade routs), but after 0.81a3+mod I can`t. I wonder why? Bcous of fix or mod? pity i didn`t test it w/o mod :(
    Tnx
    Campaigns:
    EB1.1 Qarthadast - completed
    EB1.1+MMP1.1 Pahlava campaign (VH/M)- ceased by RL
    EB1.2(alx.exe)+MMP3.1 for Alex(Lz3) Hayasdan - ongoing

It's a fix, but from my mod. Latium does not have a great natural harbour suitable for the larger merchantships of antiquity. In augustan times the huge grain freighter were gnerally unloaded in the campanian harbours and smaller ships moved the goods up to ostia and Roma to supply the city. later Claudius started the constrcution of an enormous and expensive artifical harbour 8the greatest man made example in antiquity) north of Ostia and Traian enlarged it again.

To learn more about the ports of Roma you can visit this excellent homepage:
    http://www.ostia-antica.org/

The artifical harbour is described under Portus (the harbour district).

Thanks for fast reply, I`ve cought an idea.

btw, why did your work not included in the Release?
    Campaigns:

One more question: Is it compatible with new "Improved CTD FIX" (new EDB)?
    Campaigns:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast