Thread: Dragonlance Mod: Real Thread

Default Dragonlance: Total War- Age of Mortals

This thread has been replaced by the DL:TW forums, located here.

This post will be updated as progress is made. Previews of screenshots, maps, etc. will be posted in other posts on this page.

The War of Souls is ended, The Dark Queen is dead! The Valiant Warrior has shed is immortality. But the rest of the gods return and vie for power in their absence.

The Dark Knights of Takhisis struggle amongst themselves for power while the noble order of Solamnic Knights plot to retake their ancient homeland. The fallen ogres, armed with a mysterious and loathsome new magic assert their proper place in the world. The minotaurs, self proclaimed master race, seek to take their birthright as rulers and enslave all of Ansalon. The elves flee their homelands, scattered but united for the first time since the Kinslayer Wars under the banner of the Puppet King. The Orders of Magic reform with the return of the moons, yet the new magic continues to thrive. The Power of the Heart rivals the power of Faith.

The Heroes of the Lance are dead, the world must find new heroes. This is the Age of Mortals.

Dragonlance: Total War- Age of Mortals is a Total Conversion mod for Medieval II: Total War currently in production. The long term goal is the creation of a deep an immersive game spanning the breadth of the continent of Ansalon, beginning 425 years after the Cataclysm.

However, the mod is planned to be released in segments, beginning with the Rise of Solamnia "provincial campaign".

Rise of Solamnia will encompass the period potrayed in Douglas Niles' "Rise of Solamnia" trilogy.

Rise of Solamnia Factions
    Solamnia
    Neraka
    Lemish (Ankhar's Hoard)
    Garnet*
    * Unplayable faction

This campaign will center on the northwestern part of the mainland, including Palanthas, Caergoth, Solanthus, and Lemish.

We then plan to expand to a second provincial campaign, called "Minotaur Invasion", which will cover the period immediately following Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's "War of Souls" trilogy, leading into Richard A. Knaak's "Minotaur Wars" trilogy, including the Night of Blood itself.

Minotaur Invasion Factions
    Minotaur Empire
    Silvanesti
    Darkhaven
    Blode
    Khur

This campaign will center on eastern Ansalon including the Blood Sea isles, the Mitos Archipelagos, Silvanesti, Khur, the Desolation, and Kern.

By the time these two campaign's are complete, the full Age of Mortals campaign will go into production as the majority of important factions will be represented.

Age of Mortals Campaign
    Solamnia
    Gunthar*
    Neraka
    Onyx Order
    Darkhaven
    Eastern Elven Exiles
    Western Elven Exiles
    Thorbardin
    Tarsis
    Sable's Dragonrealm*
    Minotaur Empire
    Sanction
    Lemish
    Throt
    Blode
    Kern
    Blood Sea Pirates*
    Ergothian Empire
    Kenderhome
    Khur
    Nordmaar
    Daltigoth

Mod openings
    At the moment I'm looking for primarily outsourced help, one thing at a time. Anything done will be credited, of course, with specifics as to what was done. I plan to keep the core team relatively small and do the bulk of the text editing myself, though advanced coding and 3d modeling are areas where assistance will be sought, if only to ensure greater competence and save time. If you are a Dragonlance fan, or just want to help in some way, please PM me, post here, or email me at diamondback@cableone.net.

The Whitestone Council (or, DL:TW is brought to you by-)
    A.J. Dembroski- design, mapping, traits
    Paula Jensen- Screens, art, skins Paula's Art Site
    Heledir (? Hopefully)- Models, design
    Last edited by adembroski; 04-16-2007 at 02:56.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default Re: Dragonlance Mod: Real Thread

Good luck, you sound like you've got the determination to make a good job of it

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    Good luck, you sound like you've got the determination to make a good job of it
    Thank you. I know it'd be tough for an amature like me to attract any kind of a modding team, my basic goal is to show I'm committed and able, hopefully attract some help for a larger mod.

BTW, Does your R:TW mapping tutorial pretty much translate as-is to M2:TW?
    Last edited by adembroski; 02-23-2007 at 13:02.

Post Re: Dragonlance Mod: Real Thread

Good luck with your mod adembroski! Sounds impressive
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Placeholder for FAQ
    Last edited by adembroski; 03-14-2007 at 22:05.

Just a quick glimpse at the early goings on the map... this is Sancrist Isle, which will be split into at least two regions once it's done... notice Mount Nevermind in the upper right-hand corner. Still much work to be done even on this little area, but thought I'd give you something tangible.

Last edited by adembroski; 03-28-2007 at 05:59.

Placeholder for unit previews
    Last edited by adembroski; 03-14-2007 at 22:05.

placeholder... top post edited to reflect seriousness of project... no longer just an experiment to see if I can do it, now it's really progressing.

Well, nobody's said a word in this thread, which leads me to believe there's minimal interest, but I don't care, this project's for me anyways.

So for the odd fellow who stops in and said 'I wonder what's going on with this' I assure you the project is alive and well, but very early in the process and really still in the conceptual design stage.

We've gathered source material... cover art from the novels and game material, specifics from books, etc. and are compiling ideas for how to apply certain concepts in game (religion, wizards, the knightly orders, etc.), and other preliminary work.

I wouldn't say the map is 'done', but we've got about 4 different versions of the final map, 3 of the first, and are still tweaking and messing around to see what we really want overall, discussing the viability of the plains of dust and the northern wastes as anything more than terra incognito, and discussing how exactly to deploy Solamnia to start the game.

So yes, there are no plans to abandon this project, it still sees 2-4 hours of attention from me personally each and every day in one way or another. Once the new patch gets going, the design will be more or less finalized and we'll move to actually modding... figuring maybe 2-3 months for release of the first campaign.

(PS Yes we have units... several, but, because we can't mess with the models much, they don't match the source material the way we'd like so we're not releasing any screens yet, and we are in the process of considering weather to make use of DarthMod open source).
    Last edited by adembroski; 03-21-2007 at 10:19.

I would love a DL mod of Medieval 2! I watch this forum occasionally, but I just joined.

I hope you do finish this project. It'd be awesome to see. Of course, dragons are impossible. But even without them, it would be awesome. Good luck!

I really hope this mods completed. DragonLance ROCKS!!!

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Hehe, don't get disappointed. A problem might be that a lot of people don't know Dragonlance (well me for example) and since you didn't actually post a real lot of info here, it might not attract huge attention.

I'm going to be interested in what you do - I usually enjoy fantasy projects

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    Hehe, don't get disappointed. A problem might be that a lot of people don't know Dragonlance (well me for example) and since you didn't actually post a real lot of info here, it might not attract huge attention.

I'm going to be interested in what you do - I usually enjoy fantasy projects
    Yeah, we're sorta doing piecemeal textures and such, so no screenies yet since most models are incomplete (and we're still waiting on some to crack the meshes). It's coming though, making progress.

I was a reader of Dragonlance novels back in the day (enjoyed those short story compilations the most).

The gif signature is proof enough that this mod is not one of those 'lolz lets make a mod' threads ;). I will be watching the progress of the thread...
    Co-Author of Bloods, Broads and Bastards - a Traits and Ancillaries mod for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by isellj0epnuts
    I was a reader of Dragonlance novels back in the day (enjoyed those short story compilations the most).

The gif signature is proof enough that this mod is not one of those 'lolz lets make a mod' threads ;). I will be watching the progress of the thread...
    Thank you... well, small update... map is done for all intents and purposes, just gotta add the regions, and I haven't decided on those, Empire of Ergoth faction units are done (well, technically done, we'll probably be tweaking until release). Solamnia and Gunthar units will be essencially identical so that's two factions in one shot...

Better news, looking at possibly a move back to War of the Lance era, which if you haven't been reading lately you'd be more familiar with. I'm personally thinking of going for Age of Mortals as a first major release with War of the Lance being a sort of expantion later on...

Thank you for your interest. I've said before this is primarily for my own enjoyment, but the more people who show interest, the less likely i am to decide I can live without it:P

One early map screenie added
    Last edited by adembroski; 03-28-2007 at 06:00.

I read probably 30 dragonlance novels about 8 years ago...I would love to see a dragonlance mod. Good luck!

Heh i just found your offical (this) thread you should have mentioned it. I like what I'm seeing here.
    Using the power of the Griff cannon, we make a Griff sized hole in the outer wall. Or we paint it a very disgusting color. -Sarge

Well, wizards do tend to be a bunch of guys walking around wearing dresses. That's enough to frighten me right there.

What's the latest on your mod? Sounds great, have always wanted a fantasy Total War title. Don't know much about Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms was always the setting I knew about (a little).

Any idea for when you'll be finished and how newbies could run it?
    "Distracting a politician from governing is like distracting a bear from eating your baby." - PJ O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Tusk
    What's the latest on your mod? Sounds great, have always wanted a fantasy Total War title. Don't know much about Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms was always the setting I knew about (a little).

Any idea for when you'll be finished and how newbies could run it?
    Latest... we're looking to release a demo-campaign around the release of the expansion. It will be a relatively short campaign using just 3 factions, but it'll showcase things to come and the art talent we have on staff.

When we'll be finished? I doubt we will be... we have plans that probably reach beyond anything realistic, but we've got a plan in place that will allow us to release piecemeal so we wont be without anything to show for our labor.

As for how to use it... it'll be a mod folder. Very simple, you'll download a zip file and extract to your M2TW directory, easy.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Dragonlance Mod: Real Thread

Good luck, I read a some dragonlance novels a few years ago. Can't say it was the best fantasy novels I ever read, but it was fun nevertheless

Default Re: Re : Dragonlance Mod: Real Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil
    Can't say it was the best fantasy novels I ever read,
    Then you read the wrong Dragonlance novels;)

looking great. I only wish I had the talent to make my own fantasy mod. great work
    OMG it's war!

Allright I'm in.