Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EB July New Units Preview

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Default EB July New Units Preview

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans.

Work is as always being done on EB and today we show off some of our latest units. Enjoy some of these latest units that will appear in next release.

Thanks goes out to our great unit artists alin, stefan25, Xprime, and blank Please give them as much credit as possible!

=======================================================

African Forest Elephant - Qarthadastim

Asturian-Cantabrian Axeman

Garamantine Warrior

Sweboz General

Thureopherontes Toxotai - Hellenistic

Arabian Slingers

Pahlavan Archers

Partohellenikoi Thureophoroi

Cohors Imperatoria(Reskin)

Cohors Evocata (Reskin)

=======================================================

We hope you have enjoyed this preview of some of the new units and content.

Please note that unless stated otherwise, ALL pictures, names, and descriptions shown in our previews are works in progress. We continue to improve on all parts of EB, and we will continue to do so long after our initial release.

Since some areas where these news items are posted cannot handle wide images, we appreciate your restraint from quoting full-size images.
    As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them is here, where the EB team is most active:

Europa Barbarorum ORG forum

Europa Barbarorum TWC forum

We give special thanks to Picoodle that provides us with a simple, foolproof, and free way to show you all these pictures each week.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

The Europa Barbarorum team.
    Last edited by Zaknafien; 07-27-2007 at 02:54.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Default Re: EB July New Units Preview

Oh my god, I have just pissed myself. Really nice preview. Now I dont know for who I am going to play in next realese. For Pontos with their amazing new general or for Sweboz with their new amazing general?

And BTW for which faction is Partohellenikoi Thureophoroi? For Getai?

And about that Thureopherontes Toxotai - the image name says bosphoran... So is this unit greco-scythian? I remember that someone posted here something about how Athens used scythian archers. So this will be such kind of unit?
    Last edited by Bactron; 07-27-2007 at 00:14.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Lovely, just lovely. A superb job by all the artists!

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

:hyperventalates: These unit are awesome!
    Last edited by Wolfman; 07-27-2007 at 00:52.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Bactron
    Oh my god, I have just pissed myself. Really nice preview. Now I dont know for who I am going to play in next realese. For Pontos with their amazing new general or for Sweboz with their new amazing general?

And BTW for which faction is Partohellenikoi Thureophoroi? For Getai?

And about that Thureopherontes Toxotai - the image name says bosphoran... So is this unit greco-scythian? I remember that someone posted here something about how Athens used scythian archers. So this will be such kind of unit?
    ParthoHellenikoi Thureophoroi=(parthian-greek thureos shield carriers) is a unit that represents the 300.000 greek colonists who stayed behind in the area that now is Iraq, when the Pahlavan (Parthians) took over, (and ingame other areas that they might conquer too) They represent an evolution from the hoplites and Thureophoroi, to the more persian clad infantry that fought alongside their famous cavalry later on. We know that there were a lot of Greeks who retained their identity until much, much later, as Trajan fought both Greeks and Pahlavan in his conquest of the Messopotamia. Evidence has shown Greeks and Pahlavan to be shackled back to back under a Roman triumphal banner.

They are Greeks admitted into some Pahlavan clans fighting along their Pahlavan overlords against their enemies, getting more and more Persianised as time went on.

Thureopherontes Toxotai (thureos carrying archers) (or the famous T.. I mentioned earlier) are another "melange" unit. They are greeks, rich greeks from the cities in present day Ukraine, who got rich from trading with the mainland, but who, along with the hoplite tradition of their motherland, were also influenced by the archery of the Steppes. There were funeral steles found on present day Ukraine that have both those, thureoi and bows/arows, honouring the dead in battle Thureopherontes Toxotai.
    Last edited by keravnos; 07-29-2007 at 02:30.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Awesome! As always. Keep it up!

Rather, most of the people whom we would identify as these thureopherontes toxotai were more likely significantly Hellenized Skythians, not vice versa, if naming patterns are any indication. Still, by that point, Skythian-influenced Hellenes and Hellenized Skythians were not tremendously different, at least not in places like Pantikapaion. Similar I suppose, in some respects, to the soldiers represented by the Parthohellenikoi Thureophoroi.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

Cool Re: EB July New Units Preview

Aww... I was so hoping there'd would be Keltikoi Kataphractoi in this preview. Oh well, my crusade goes on!

Great preview guys.
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

I squee at the Roman cohorts! For one, a fact that shows how far EB has come is how lifelike the face inside the helmet of the Imperatoria legionnaire has become. If that is going to be what I see in the battle map when I zoom in, I am going to cry with joy.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

The reskinning of some Romani units was purely greedy on the Roman team members parts, but we felt some mistakes needed to be corrected, and Xprime did a beautiful job improving the asthetics of the units he did, great work as always. The little details on the new cohors are what makes them stand out to me, wether from the silvering on his belt or the details of the pugio or the mail-scarf around his neck!

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

what all roman units have been reskinned?

who is the garamantine warrior for?

anyone who conquers the fazzan?

is there any indication that the actually dressed like that?
    Last edited by KARTLOS; 07-27-2007 at 03:58.

Any indication? Yeah. I'll let tanit reply or someone who has tanit's notes (he's on a dig I think), but we have confirmation on that unit's appearance (the development art pic specifically) from a quite famous historian of the region (works on the Fazzan Project), so we feel pretty sure about it.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 07-27-2007 at 04:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Any indication? Yeah. I'll let tanit reply or someone who has tanit's notes (he's on a dig I think), but we have confirmation on that unit's appearance (the development art pic specifically) from a quite famous historian of the region (works on the Fazzan Project), so we feel pretty sure about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofa
    what all roman units have been reskinned?
    cool, sounds very interesting. they just looked a bit over-wild to me! i thought they farmed cotton.

Post Re: EB July New Units Preview

Brilliant preview - as always
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Great preview, as always. A question: what kind of axe does Asturian-Cantabrian Axeman have? It looks quite interesting, although strange O_o.

Awesome units, really filling the map.
    Will the Carthagian elephants have archers or javelineers in the tower?

Kick-ass. As a true Romanophile I had to shed a tear when I saw those new skins. Superb, truly superb.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

(The Asturian-Cantabrian Axeman are holding both an axe and a javalin at the same time, so that is why it looks funny.)

As far as the axe goes, here is the example axe (posted by Dux Corvanus):
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 07-27-2007 at 10:02.

Uh... Wouldn't want to be hit with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    (The Asturian-Cantabrian Axeman are holding both an axe and a javalin at the same time, so that is why it looks funny.)

As far as the axe goes, here is the example axe (posted by Dux Corvanus):
    Great preview, guys, but just one thing: how come this axe's handle stops at the axe head, whereas with the actual unit, there's a bit more handle coming out through and past the axe head?

Cheers

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

You just quoted your response, it's the javelin held in the same hand as the axe, look closer.

The Asturian-Cantabrian Axeman look very very very realistic and historic, the same Thureopherontes Toxotai - Hellenistic and Romans Cohors too!

But the Swebos general looks slightly cultivated, civilized. I think that he could looks more animal and natural.

I have one question, how the Romans Legionary carry the shield? I have read that he carried the shield from down to up (if you look on his fore arm) , no from up to down as we can see on the pictures. Is it true or not? It is not life nessesary and I cant be a hairsplitter and bullshit seeker as Sherlock Holmes was, it is only my question for forum.
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    You just quoted your response, it's the javelin held in the same hand as the axe, look closer.
    Oh yeah - my mistake!

Who did the Romani reskins? Is it a new EB member? I don't think I've seen that style in EB before. Personally, I think that the chainmail texture could be better, but everything else, especially those shield textures, are incredibly sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBag
    Who did the Romani reskins? Is it a new EB member? I don't think I've seen that style in EB before. Personally, I think that the chainmail texture could be better, but everything else, especially those shield textures, are incredibly sexy.
    Xprime, he came in from OR, and has been most productive for us. We really want to start on MTW2 units, as he's really wanting to use the higher detailed models and larger textures we'll be able to utilise. But even on a 1000 poly count model and 256x256 texture his work really shines through.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Xprime did the Romani work. The hamata looks almost identical to the artifact examples we gave him to work by, and we're very satisfied with it. Xprime is not a new member, but you've seen him mostly do work on FMs before and bodyguard units. His attention on the Romani was a result of us basically stealing him for a month or two.

The scutum was taken from historical example, and was held as such in order to be used as much as a weapon thrusting as a defensive piece of equipment. It could also more easily be rested on the ground in such a fashion, and raised when in use.

Great work. I like the roman units, in particular.

Aren't the arabian slingers a reskin, even though they are not marked as such on the preview?

Quote Originally Posted by Pius Curus
    But the Swebos general looks slightly cultivated, civilized. I think that he could looks more animal and natural.
    Thanks for your compliments on the other units, and I hope someone can answer your questions concerning the positioning of the scutum. As for the Sweboz general, why particularly do you feel it is important he should look "animal" and "natural"? Even though the archaeological record from Germanic lands in the Pre-Roman period are quite scanty, the amount of good quality metalwork (chain mail, swords, buckles, fibulae, etc) found in richer contexts solidly confirms to us that the wealthier warriors of the Sweboz (such as the Family Member/General) were able to afford both locally produced metal accoutrements, and imported (and perhaps locally modified) materials, like the chain mail, sword, and helm. While Germanic kings were not living in the palaces of Alexandreia or Roma, many of them did sit on top of the amber route, and had managed to accrue considerable wealth over the centuries from that position, wealth which they used to create good quality local goods, or to import prized goods from other areas. I hope that helps, and thanks again for the comments!
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by Pius Curus
    I have one question, how the Romans Legionary carry the shield? I have read that he carried the shield from down to up (if you look on his fore arm) , no from up to down as we can see on the pictures. Is it true or not?
    Well, I happend to carry a replica of such a shield a year or so back - and not knowing about shield-carrying techniques at al, I held it as you described "from up to down". It simply seemed to me the most convenient way of holding it, especially after I had held the cavalry shield which is heavy. Though, admittedly the replicas I held were replicas of later legionaries, those who did wear the pathetic segmentata.
    So I merely pressume this to be the way the earlier guys held their shields.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast