Build Tree changes
This entails creating new factions, new buildings, new campaign maps, new units, etc. The engine is fairly flexible, but there are hardcoded limitations on the number of factions, provinces and the like.
There are plenty of tools available for looking at and changing game files.
- The Gnome Unit and Building Editor
- BIF readers
- LukMap editor
- and many, many more.
These tools can be found in the MTW Files section in the Downloads. Tools
The Alchemist Lab contains tips and tools for modding MTW. The Alchemist Lab
The Repository contains archived threads regarding various modding aspects. The Repository
The Engineers Guild contains mod-specific threads, for both mods in progress and completed. The Engineers Guild
- XL - Expanded MTW campaign, more factions, units, etc.
- BKB SuperMod - Expanded MTW campaign with more factions, units, etc.
- MedMod - Balanced and adjusted MTW campaign
- Samurai Warlords - Shogun: Total War ported to the MTW engine.
- Pike and Musket - European warfare from 1480 - 1700.
- Hellenic Total War - Warfare in Ancient Greece.
- Napoleonic Total War - Napoleonic era warfare.
These and many more can be downloaded from the .Org Mod files. Mods
TBD - This is very preliminary, needs tons more content. Not sure how to break down the aspects, maybe have units, buildings, projectiles, maps, etc. I'm not a modder, and am not really the right person to be adding this info.
If owners of specific mods want to brag or put in intros and help pages, this would probably be the place to link from.