PDA

View Full Version : Custom Battles and Strategic Maps

Diagoras
03-05-2008, 02:02
Well, I'm back with another question, and this forum has none to blame but itself for being so helpful to me. Since this is a pretty complex question, I feel I owe it to you to explain what I'm trying to do. If you just want to see the technical problem feel free to skip the paragraph below.

Some friends and I are currently playing Myrddraal's excellent multiplayer mod (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64876) with our own little twist. Instead of fighting battles as auto-battles, we play out the battle in the custom map and then implement the results on the map with the auto_win cheat. However, we have to use a crude calculation to match up casualties on the battle map.

So, I'm trying to find a way to implement the results of a custom battle onto the strategic map. For example: I have three units of Hastati and engage the enemy's Libyan Spearmen. He kills all but one and they flee, but I kill one his Libyan Spearmen. Under the current situation, we'd use the auto_battle cheat and then deduct from the remaining troops based on the battle. Is there a way to make the results of the custom battle show up on the strategic map?

TruePraetorian
03-06-2008, 05:00
Here is the Script:

script
spawn_army
faction (place faction here from descr_strat, ei romans_julii)
character (name here), general, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, x 89, y 80
unit (if creating a named character, use the factions generals cavalry here), soldiers 20 exp 9 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
unit (any unit), soldiers 40 exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
end
end_script

Have fun :2thumbsup:

And also, we need a brutii player in our roman PBeM!!! Please Join!!! (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=99147&page=4)

Myrddraal
03-07-2008, 12:52
My thoughts regarding this:

You could play the battles much more accurately if you created a historical battle generator.

A historical battle can be anywhere on the map, and can have the exact units (with experience etc), commanders bonuses, everything. You can then play that battle via multiplayer.

It was always my intention to create such a generator, but since I have had trouble implementing the results into the game, I haven't.

One possibility is to enter the results into a second script generator, which spawns a new army with the resulting armies. However, this would require manually disbanding the old army.

Monkwarrior
03-07-2008, 13:53
In my clan, using the new functionality of M2TW, some people tried to play a campaign with MP battles. But it was really a :dizzy2: because of the problem that Myrdraal points: how to represent the loses in one battle.

One first problem, the availability of mercenary units, was solved by making them available in custom battles for all the factions involved in the campaign. (all players had to use the same export_descr_units file, of course)

Even with rules about disbanding units and creating new ones, the script is fully necessary to kill the generals that find death in battle, as you cannot disband a bodyguards unit. (afaik :inquisitive: ) But I'm not sure if this comman (kill_character?) is fully functional or not.

Diagoras
03-08-2008, 01:03
Myrddraal - That would be awesome but I have no idea how to do it. We're just using our own ruleset for command stars. Please let me know if you come up with anything.

Monkwarrior - Yeah, we solved the merc problem the same way. Unless we have an alternative, we'll use auto_win as it works.