PDA

View Full Version : Slave faction

Captn. James Crunch
03-09-2008, 21:47
I have several questions regarding the slave/rebel faction.
Firstly what dictates how many/often there are generals in the slave faction? In al the time that i have been playing i have only seen a handful of slave family members.
Also can they actually have a family structure like other factions?
And lastly can generals in my factions convert to their faction? (or do they need to have diplomats to be able to do that?)

Lemons
03-11-2008, 04:42
Meh I dont know all this. Go to descr_strat.txt and add the slave faction to the playable section, and that will solve the question about the family. Also as far as I know the general spawning is random.:yes:

Monkwarrior
03-11-2008, 15:36
Not sure if this is of help, but my experience playing with rebels is that they obtained one general each turn for a long time. I arrived to have the main settlement (the first one in descr_strat for slave faction) nearly full of bodyguards units. I don't know if the game makes the same if the slave faction is played by AI. :book:

Lemons
03-12-2008, 00:24
Not sure if this is of help, but my experience playing with rebels is that they obtained one general each turn for a long time. I arrived to have the main settlement (the first one in descr_strat for slave faction) nearly full of bodyguards units. I don't know if the game makes the same if the slave faction is played by AI. :book:

Like I said, this is because they have a script that spawns armys.:yes: :beam:

Captn. James Crunch
03-12-2008, 14:53
Sweet. Thanks people. Now, can you tell me where I can mess with this spawn script?

Spartan198
03-12-2008, 15:20
What settlements does playing the Slave faction give you and what unique units can you recruit?

Lemons
03-12-2008, 22:08
I dont know where the script for this is, but one thing that affects this is the descr_strat.txt when you go down about 3 dozen lines you will see some lines like this:

rebelling_characters_active
night_battles_enabled
brigand_spawn_value 30
pirate_spawn_value 10

Monkwarrior
03-13-2008, 12:02
Like I said, this is because they have a script that spawns armys.:yes: :beam:
Not sure if it is the reason.
When you are playing with another faction, some candidates to adoption are offered to you, mainly if your familiy is short in numbers. I think it is the same question: trying to prevent the human player runs out of family members. As slave faction had no family tree, the game detects human player as not having a properly family and offers for adoption one candidate each turn (IMO). :book:

This is the reason because I doubt this happens when slave faction is played by AI.

Lemons
03-13-2008, 15:21
Sorry Spartan, but I forgot to answer your question. You get a province when a faction city rebels and becomes independent, and as far as I know you can recruit every unit in the game as the slave faction, and are ONLY LIMITED by what region of the world you recruit in.

Also monk, I have to say that sounds correct. I have only played them once, but they are a very challenging faction because everybody is against you.:beam: But it is also fun.:yes:

Monkwarrior
03-13-2008, 19:49
Sorry Spartan, but I forgot to answer your question. You get a province when a faction city rebels and becomes independent, and as far as I know you can recruit every unit in the game as the slave faction, and are ONLY LIMITED by what region of the world you recruit in.

At the beginning, playing with slave faction you have all the regions assigned in descr_strat. It's difficult because is (usually) a large number of regions and you get bankrupt easily.

Regarding units, it depends on the assign in export_descr_units. There are units of playable factions that are not allowed to rebels, usually elite units. And (if I remember well) in each region you can recruit the units corresponding to the "default faction" (or something similar) coded in descr_regions (again if I remember well).

Spartan198
03-13-2008, 20:32
I assume that the victory condition is still the usual 50 provinces plus Rome,then?

At the beginning, playing with slave faction you have all the regions assigned in descr_strat. It's difficult because is (usually) a large number of regions and you get bankrupt easily.
The rebel cities like Athens,Byzantium,Halicarnassus,Themyskira,etc.?

Regarding units, it depends on the assign in export_descr_units. There are units of playable factions that are not allowed to rebels, usually elite units. And (if I remember well) in each region you can recruit the units corresponding to the "default faction" (or something similar) coded in descr_regions (again if I remember well).
I've never been able to locate any reason for it in the game files,but I did run upon a rebel unit of Carthaginian Sacred Band once.

So then I'd be able to recruit Amazon Chariots and Yubtseb Elephants in Themyskira?

Lemons
03-14-2008, 02:06
Sorry for the misunderstanding monk, I play the Roma Surrectum mod. I have not played rebels in vanilla. But in RS the Free Kingdoms and Tribes(new name for slaves) get elephants, cataphracts, legionaries, celtic elite swordsmen, warrior, berserkers, and pretty much everything else. Unlike vanilla, in RS, there is an Area Of Recruitment(AOR) so you can only recruit celtic warriors in gual, elephants in certain eastern regions and africa, etc.

But if you want spartan, if you want to play as the free people, but completely run out of money and cant build up, I could "build" a trade, and tax based EDB.txt file, so it is playable.

Monkwarrior
03-14-2008, 18:31
Sorry for the misunderstanding monk, I play the Roma Surrectum mod. I have not played rebels in vanilla. But in RS the Free Kingdoms and Tribes(new name for slaves) get elephants, cataphracts, legionaries, celtic elite swordsmen, warrior, berserkers, and pretty much everything else. Unlike vanilla, in RS, there is an Area Of Recruitment(AOR) so you can only recruit celtic warriors in gual, elephants in certain eastern regions and africa, etc.

I didn't play vanilla either, but ITW. We had also an AOR and rebels were able to recruit most of units, but not all of them. In fact it is only depending on the units assigned to slave faction in EDU.:2thumbsup:

Spartan198
03-15-2008, 16:51
But if you want spartan, if you want to play as the free people, but completely run out of money and cant build up, I could "build" a trade, and tax based EDB.txt file, so it is playable.
For vanilla,not Roma Surrectum,right? Definitely,please,the Slave Faction sounds like a challenge worthy of my Spartan skill.

Flying Pig
03-15-2008, 17:57
I dont know where the script for this is, but one thing that affects this is the descr_strat.txt when you go down about 3 dozen lines you will see some lines like this:

rebelling_characters_active
night_battles_enabled
brigand_spawn_value 30
pirate_spawn_value 10

You can't find it because it's hardcoded:wall: