PDA

View Full Version : How long do you usually play for?

Brave
03-21-2008, 21:55
I am talking about the campaign, do you play untill you reach 15 provinces on a short campaign, 50 on a long campaign or go for the whole map?

I personally do not play for that long and usually start a new campaign every 5 times I load up the game. I have just seen, tonight in fact, a strategy of building a small empire then launching attacks on factions who are growing too strong. This could set up good roleplaying colonies.

So, tell me how long you play.

Quintus.JC
03-21-2008, 22:59
I usually play till I reached 30+ provinces before I stop, when all my archenemies are wiped out and my total domination of the map complete. Micro managing does take some time and it does get boring from time to time. I’d consider the beginning of the campaign to be really fun because of the total devotion I put in, all building and battles were personally taken care of and every denarius were looked after carefully. But the problem is that you don’t get a lot of decent troops. Especially with the Seleucids.

Ibn-Khaldun
03-22-2008, 00:12
I usually play till I reached 30+ provinces before I stop, when all my archenemies are wiped out and my total domination of the map complete. Micro managing does take some time and it does get boring from time to time. I’d consider the beginning of the campaign to be really fun because of the total devotion I put in, all building and battles were personally taken care of and every denarius were looked after carefully. But the problem is that you don’t get a lot of decent troops. Especially with the Seleucids.

Same here .. I like the beginning of the game .. everything is new (even if you have played the faction hundreds of times:help: ) .. everything can happen ..
I usually play small campaigns lately (20-25 provinces).. long ones are just tooo looong (perhaps I'm just getting old :inquisitive: )

Spartan198
03-22-2008, 01:53
Well,I once played a long campaign through in one sitting,but aside from that,I'll usually get to 10 or so provinces taken before I quit.

Quirinus
03-22-2008, 03:43
It depends on the faction.

For Roman factions, I usually will want to play to at least the Marian Reforms, and finish the full campaign (taking Rome and all that). But for other factions I usually play only up till the short campaign or at most by the time I get about 30 provinces, after which further playing is just steamrolling and a whole lot of micromanagement.

For barbarian factions I normally play only up till the short campaign objectives for a different reason-- the squalor gets out of hand, and I simply cannot imagine an enduring barbarian empire the way they are depicted in vanilla.

EDIT: OMG, post #500....

guineawolf
03-23-2008, 05:55
i always take out the whole map,i like the overwhelming playing style .:2thumbsup:

DerekBaker
03-23-2008, 08:51
I play until I win - full campaign except the first time - or lose.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-23-2008, 09:09
I usually play until I get bored and fancy starting a new campaign. This is usually when I've hit the point at which I have infinite resources at my disposal and defeat is virtually impossible (about 25-30 territories).

Sometimes I continue till I meet the long campaign victory conditions though. Mainly because I fancy having a steam roll or, as the Romans, would like to get to the civil war.

~:)

Quirinus
03-23-2008, 10:07
Out of curiosity, has anyone actually lost a campaign before? Not as in, you're in a pinch and you abandon the game, but as in you actually get all your cities/family members eliminated?

Has that happened when you are well on your way (i.e. when you have a decent grip on the region) and then you get steamrolled by a superpower?

IceWolf
03-23-2008, 15:09
I play all civs to the 15 territory/short campaign victory point then they go into a rotation to play til the 50 territory win mark. Right now for example, I rotate between Armenia, Julii and the Germans. I play one civ til it starts to drag then switch to another.

Icewolf

Brave
03-23-2008, 22:18
Out of curiosity, has anyone actually lost a campaign before? Not as in, you're in a pinch and you abandon the game, but as in you actually get all your cities/family members eliminated?

Has that happened when you are well on your way (i.e. when you have a decent grip on the region) and then you get steamrolled by a superpower?

This very nearly happened to me. I was playing the extended greek mod and thought it would be good to allow my cities in Italy to rebel to the Roman Rebels and roleplay an exile. I went to spain and got repeatedly attacked by the Spanish and Carthaginians. Brave battled through it though :beam:

Korlon
03-24-2008, 04:03
I generally play until I gain around 30 provinces, in which case I get bored and start a new one. This always happens, and it shows since I have never actually won a campaign. I refuse to play short campaigns as well.

And I have never lost a campaign nor have I been on the brink of losing. If I'm losing, it means I'm turtling, in which case I would already have a couple cities. If one of them is lost, I immediately start building units in my other cities. The only real chance of losing a campaign is if you play a mod, but even then it's doubtful if you have been playing this game for a very long time.

DerekBaker
03-30-2008, 09:21
I play until I win - full campaign except the first time - or lose.
However, in my last game I continued playing after getting to 50, and went on to conquer the whole map.

Motep
03-30-2008, 16:42
I usually stick with taking just the fifty, but every one in a while, I put the whole of europe under my heel. (Ive done it 7 times so far. 3 times with Greece, 1 time with Brutii, 2 times with Carthage, and 1 time with Egypt.)

BetterDeadThanRed
04-01-2008, 20:01

I thought that was going to happen to me a few days ago in my Seleucid campaign. I had all of my available forces dedicated to Greece and the assault of Rome when out of nowhere, 3 full stacks of post marian Scipii and no less than 5 generals were spotted heading my way through Africa by a spy. I started going crazy training units to put up a defense as I had very little in the way of a decent army in my Egyptian/Libyan provinces, nothing more than cheap garrison units, but when the AI made it to the border, they just sat there for a few turns and moved off. I really thought I was done for.

They turned up a few years later in Italy, apparently my assault on Sicily had recalled them, but maybe I'm giving the AI too much credit.

RLucid
04-01-2008, 20:42
Nice one! Perhaps in RTW attack is the best form of defense?

When I've had flaps over big stacks "heading my way", they usually fail to reach their potential. The AI may get distracted and sidestrack, fighting a battle in the wrong place, or the stack turns out to be just badly routed (wasting time), or the stack has some imbalance which means it can be destroyed cheaply, once you get over the panic, in the grace time the AI alots. I've only lost settlements a couple of times, despite not investing in much way of walls. So when it does happen it hurts all the more.