PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever conquered the whole map?

BetterDeadThanRed
04-02-2008, 04:45
It seems that once I start heading past the 50 province point even as the Romans, I am hit with all sorts of revolts and incredibly slow paced gameplay so my question is has anyone ever conquered the map and if so, on what faction, what difficulty and what were your strategies to fight boredom and rebellion?

Ibn-Khaldun
04-02-2008, 07:45
Well .. DerekBaker have done it ...
here's the link
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1877219#post1877219

But I haven't conquered more than 55 - 60 provinces ..

RLucid
04-02-2008, 10:07
It seems that once I start heading past the 50 province point even as the Romans, I am hit with all sorts of revolts and incredibly slow paced gameplay
Fraid my boredom threshold has been considerably lower. Things become exponential, you end up fighting about 3 rebel stacks every turn, your campaigns whilst inevitable victories, mean coordinating multiple armies; and auto-building & recruitment seem to waste money.

There's a mod about which turns off the Rebel spawning, and may let you concentrate on the other factions.

Think the main strategy is starting a new game, once current one gets tedious.

Celt Centurion
04-02-2008, 17:28
I conquered the whole map as the Julii Faction about 2 and a half years ago, 28 October 2005.

The name of the thread where I announced it is "I rule the world."

I've not gone that far since, but presently I'm in an XGM game as the Greek Cities where I'm at about 60 provinces and have half a dozen more under siege.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Spartan198
04-11-2008, 16:58
I have. Talk about limitless revolts. I actually had all of Italy revolt on me in the same turn! I had to build a new army in Greece just to reconquer those provinces.

Bartholemew-Varath
04-19-2008, 11:54
I tend to get bored of a game when winning is inevitable. I like to think that there is a stuggle further on, and limitless revolts sound bad :yes:
Im also a big fan of starting a game, making your empire larger when your enemies empires are weak.

Praetor Rick
04-20-2008, 05:43
I tend to get bored of a game when winning is inevitable. I like to think that there is a stuggle further on, and limitless revolts sound bad :yes:
Im also a big fan of starting a game, making your empire larger when your enemies empires are weak.

The late game is all about macro rather than micro - managing your empire, instead of managing your armies. It's such a massive reversal that it takes me aback every time, and I usually just can't stay interested in the game after about 30 provinces. Partly it's that I get enraged by horrible autoresolve results, and partly it's that I don't trust the automanage functions to be anything other than idiotic. Mostly it's that once I learn how to do well in the early game by micromanaging everything, the late game where that is unbearably tedious and I have to let go of intensive micro feels like I'm deliberately playing badly and deserve to lose.

I think that to really be good at long RTW games, you either have to have an unlimited ability to do tedious micromanagement on vast numbers of units and settlements, or an extraordinary ability to shift gears in your gameplay style.

Quirinus
04-20-2008, 14:19
Or just have a fascination in carving a world empire. For me, I almost always play to the finish of the short campaign, or about ten regions after that, and quit when I have regional dominance. But I normally play my Roman campaigns to the finish of the long campaigns, possibly a bit beyond that. One reason is the civil war and the Marian reforms-- the Roman late-game remains interesting, and there's a kind of satisfaction in surpassing the historical Roman empire. Another is because the Romans have it much easier than any other faction when it comes to keeping public order up. Arenas and, later hippodromes, combined with prudent farm management, can keep even the largest cities reasonably content well into the late-game.

RLucid
04-20-2008, 15:04
I share Praetor Rick's issue, that I find it tough "playing badly" due to using AI, yet it become unbearably tedious spending 2+ hours per turn, when you just know you will steam roller all opposition, and that the competition of the Roman factions, will be appallingly mismanaged by AI, thus capitulating rather more easily.

To the stage Quirinus describes, is where the interest of strategy, between factions is greatest. It is nice when, the game models underlying strategic situation to some extent and you get somewhat plausible campaigns.

Someone showed the "Final Solution" to the Rebellious city problem, in the "Best Campaign Thread", where they took over world as the Rebel faction.

Livy
04-20-2008, 23:28
There's a mod about which turns off the Rebel spawning, and may let you concentrate on the other factions.

To stop Rebels from spawning go to your descr_strat file located in (C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign) then change:

brigand_spawn_value 10
pirate_spawn_value 28

to

brigand_spawn_value 9999
pirate_spawn_value 9999

Since doing that I have never had a single rebel stack or pirate ship spawn.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-21-2008, 08:22
Not having rebels spawn does remove the mild annoyance that they are, but it also removes their positive side as well. I frequently use them for training fresh generals to assist in gaining them their first command stars. They also can be used for boosting up the experience of soilders very slightly.

In addition, it also removes the challenge of removing them - without them slowing you down, you can dedicate a larger portion of your forces to deal with the real enemy rather than having a bunch of men specially designated to run down rebels.

~:)

RLucid
04-21-2008, 08:24
There's a drawback to turning off Rebels, and that is that the randomness introduced by rebel armies is lost. That may make the comparative development of AI factions appear to run on rails.

Also, you lose the "penalty" of military weakness following periods of economic development and relative disarmanent, don't result in a "coordinated" outbreak of rebels slowing movement, just as the AI faction finally attacks with a large army. Finally the rag tag AI naval units don't get hoovered up by Pirates cleaning the seas.

Quirinus
04-21-2008, 10:26
I'm curious, what happens when you set their spawn values to zero?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-21-2008, 12:40
I'm curious, what happens when you set their spawn values to zero?Zero is essentially the highest rebel spawn rate which the system could be set at. This will cause rebels to appear more frequently.

As a general rule, the higher the set spawn rate number, the lower the number of rebels appearing. It's a little illogical, but logic and computing never did really walk hand in hand.

~:)

RLucid
04-21-2008, 14:05
That's funny!!

So one factor is given an ambiguous name, and prejudice assumes it should work like a counting number. How illogical! Oh but logic and user expectations never really walked in hand... *shocked startled expression*

happymango99
05-13-2008, 18:41
Yeah i have takes ages tho, but i ended up with over ".5 million denarii and about 150 000 denarii income per turn which was nice

Tzar469
05-13-2008, 23:50
I always conquer the entire map. I don't feel right if I let the British live :whip:

Spartan198
05-15-2008, 06:04
I always conquer the entire map. I don't feel right if I let the British live :whip:
Funny, I've always thought of the Dacians like that. :inquisitive:

TiberiusClaudius
05-15-2008, 12:36
I'm on my way to doing so at the moment, with about 10 or so provinces left to conquer. as of 190BC playing as the Julii. Amazingly, I've managed to pretty much keep rebellions in check so far through some judicious use of low tax rates and regular games & races - although I keep having this haunting feeling that the whole of Asia is about to rise up against me. I'm posting from work, but I'll upload some campaign map screenshots when I get home this evening.

Oh also, "Hi I'm new here"; I'm TiberiusClaudius, long time TW addict, especially RTW.

Shieldmaiden
05-15-2008, 15:30
Oh also, "Hi I'm new here"; I'm TiberiusClaudius, long time TW addict, especially RTW.

Welcome to the Org TiberiusClaudius :cake:

I tend to get bored of a game when winning is inevitable. I like to think that there is a stuggle further on, and limitless revolts sound bad

I really miss the STW/MTW Campaigns re-emerging Faction revolts :thumbsdown:

GermanWehrmacht
05-19-2008, 08:28
It would be cool if they impliment a country switch. Like if your done playing one you can go off and switch to a different one in the same game without creating a new one and take the challenge to fight your old empire.