PDA

View Full Version : Editing name list

Quirinus
04-02-2008, 12:37
I want to edit the pool of names avaliable for a faction (in this case, Greek Cities) so that when I get a new suitor, the name is different. I don't mean just adding names, but removing some as well. From where do I do that? I did it in descr_names the last time, and I got a CTD when I loaded up my saved game.

If a name is already in use, does that mean I can't remove it from the list? For example, if I have a guy called "Philotas of Pella", does that mean I can't remove either "Philotas" or "of Pella"?

Or, if a guide is already written on this, can I be linked to it please?

Thanks.

Makanyane
04-02-2008, 13:42
don't try changing descr_names.txt and continuing saved game, its very unlikely to work.

if you just want name to appear as something else you could probably change
the text file
data/text/names.txt
so instead of
{Decius} Decius
make it
{Decius} Fred
make back up copy first

if you want to change names around more do it before starting new game.
you can remove names from descr_names.txt in that case but check that they aren't in the descr_strat.txt file or script if there is one.

if you want to add names to a faction add them in that file and also to the
data/text/names.txt file

Quirinus
04-02-2008, 16:29
If I remove names from descr_names, do I have to remove them from data/text/names.txt as well?

Where are the names found in descr_strat?

Thanks.

Squid
04-02-2008, 16:37
The characters are given names in descr_stat for each faction. So if you remove a name from the romans_julii list you'll need to look at the character section of the romans_julii in descr_stat and make sure none of the characters have the name you just deleted.

Makanyane
04-02-2008, 18:21
If I remove names from descr_names, do I have to remove them from data/text/names.txt as well?

for that bit the answer is NO

its a lot safer to not remove any names from names.txt - especially as some are used by more than one faction - and ending up with one in the other file and not in there will cause CTD's