PDA

View Full Version : Observation - Cheating AI?

trickydicky
04-04-2008, 12:10
I know this has probably come up before, but here's my 2c after what happened in my Portugal campaign last night.

Ver 1.02 on H/VH with 2 turns per year.
I'm also trying the Chiv approach this time round, which I'm quite liking. Which for me means no backstabbing, slaughtering prisoners or assassins.

The Scene.
I was busy consolidating after booting the Moors off of the mainland, and taking over Zaragoza and Valencia. The Spanish only have both starting provinces still. I have a marriage alliance with France, Scicily, and Hungary. Also Allied with the Pope and Denmark. I have Outstanding/Perfect relations with all, except Denmark which is very good.

My problem was that France were allied to the Spanish, so attacking the Spanish was a big No No, as I wanted to keep things with France cool for now. However France started a war with Scicily, and the Spanish called off the alliance with France. Yay :smiley2:

The Incident.
Just as I was getting ready to take out the Spanish in 1 turn, which I try to do to avoid his holiness' wrath, one of the Spanish full stacks turns Rebel. :2thumbsup:

However the very next turn this full stack of Rebel Mailed Knights and Jinettes, was taken out by 3, yes 3 units of mailed knights led by another Spanish captain. I mean c'mon, I'm a good general but there is no way in Hell that the AI could have won that one fairly and squarely. No upgrades on either army. I was speechless.

It's the first time I've seen the AI cheat to that degree. Anyone else have any other weird AI victories, that shouldn't have happened?

Nebuchadnezzar
04-04-2008, 15:44
Notice this often. Sometimes 1-2 units Vs full stack!!!

I presume the AI get bonus Vs rebels to help them expand. The AI gets quite a few bouses & cheats especially on VH.

predaturd
04-04-2008, 16:01
you sure the spanish didnt have an army7 waiting in ambush that you couldnt see and that that didnt take the rebels out?

trickydicky
04-04-2008, 21:34
@ Predaturd

Yes I considered that one, however it was out in the open with nowhere for an army to hide. So that's unlikley.

I think it might be what Nebuchadnezzar suggested.

"Here boys, have a battalion of tanks, and a fleet of apache gunships to help you with the rebels."

A little underhanded and sneaky I reckon. Although I suppose the AI needs all the help it can get.

ReiseReise
04-05-2008, 10:12
If only the AI knew how to use this to its advantage by actually attacking rebel cities to build up some strength.

I'm guessing the reason the AI gets such a bonus is because otherwise the map would slowly turn grey as the AI somehow managed to lose all its cities to little 'raiding parties' that pop up here and there. Ok so thats impossible, but, that *is* the reason why rebels can't attack cities - the AI would get pwned by itself in an incomprehensible furball of stupider-than-stupidity, causing any players witnessing the process to immediately lose 30 IQ points.

Sentinel
04-06-2008, 12:11
I have not seen this happen, but I have seen a factions full stack of mainly peasants and town militia turn rebel, and been converted to crossbowmen, armoured sergeants and DFK’s.
Maybe during the conversion to rebels these units ended up as a full stack of peasants?
Or maybe as you say the AI cheats.

Rhyfelwyr
04-06-2008, 17:53
I once had a full stack army that went rebel, including Merc Elephants. The turn after it rebelled, an AI stack of a few units, mostly armoured sergeants, obliterated it.

I've noticed this a few times, the AI does seem to get a big bonus against rebels.