PDA

View Full Version : Where are the MP/Custom and SP Campaign EDU files?

TWFanatic
04-10-2008, 00:06
Hello,

I have recently installed EB 1.1 and the TrivialScript that goes along with it. I am very excited about this new version, and the trivialscript is a nice little addition that makes things easier (I know longer start up EB only to realize I forgot the switch the EDU).

However, I cannot figure out where the game looks for the EDU files (i.e., which of them it runs). There is the standard EDU file in the EB/Data folder, and two "backup" files in the EB folder. I want to figure out which files I should modify (or where I should place the EDU files that I have modded) in order for the trivialscript to recognize and run them. This is also important for me to know when I release the next version of my phalanx mod.

Thank you for the help.

QuintusSertorius
04-10-2008, 00:21
I found if you edited the main without altering the backup, it kept overwriting your edited main one with the unchanged backup.

They're in folders in the main EB directory simply called "sp game edu backup" and "mp game edu backup".

TWFanatic
04-10-2008, 00:50
Interesting.

Yes I know where they are, I'm just trying to find out where to place them after I have modified them in order for the game to use the modified file (and not replace it).

If people have to uninstall the trivialscript program in order to mod their EDU (or used a modified EDU), I probably just won't be releasing a new version of my mod that is compatible with 1.1, because far less people are going to use it.

Kravixon
04-10-2008, 05:45
I would definitely uninstall the Trivial to play your Phalanx mod for EB 1.1 (with ALX). It's just that good of a change!

If you copy over all the sp EDU files including the backup, should it not revert to the custom one each time, or does it remake the file...

Wartz
04-10-2008, 05:45
I would definitely uninstall the Trivial to play your Phalanx mod for EB 1.1 (with ALX). It's just that good of a change!

same!

Flibjib
04-10-2008, 07:01
I would also gladly uninstall the trivial script for happier hoplites.

LorDBulA
04-10-2008, 07:05
I'm just trying to find out where to place them after I have modified them in order for the game to use the modified file (and not replace it).

Answer

They're in folders in the main EB directory simply called "sp game edu backup" and "mp game edu backup".

Every time you start RTW vie trivial script data from mp or sp backup directory is copied over to Data directory.

So dont change files in Data directory but in those 2 backup folders.
Take note though that this folders also contain map.rwm files, so if you do changes that effects map.rwm file you should replace them with brand new map.rwm files generated for your modified EB.

Tellos Athenaios
04-10-2008, 07:06
Pourquoi?

Why not simply make an additional backup of the mp & sp edu's somewhere outside of their folders; and go ahead and edit the mp/sp edu's to your heart's content? (WARNING: Editin the mp edu, with or without the trivial script, might make life a lil' more exciting when you try to actually play mp.)

TWFanatic
04-10-2008, 12:00
Thanks for the help LorDBulA, Tellos!

@ Tellos: Well obviously this isn't for MP, however I will include backups of those two files in the download so that I dont get people complaining that they can't play MP.

@Everyone else: Yep, that means I'll go through with it. EDU file, here I come. :charge:

Kravixon
04-10-2008, 15:37
Perhaps you could also do an MP for those who want it?

Durka durka durka!

TWFanatic
04-10-2008, 16:05
Definately. I will edit both files, just like last time.

Darth Stalin
04-10-2008, 16:57
Yyyeeeeeaaaaahhhh!

Oh, my beautiful legions... and even more beatiful hoplites... come toslaughter each other! And hack'n'slay those smelly barbarians!

So I can now sit a moment and wait until some latest versions of mini-mods for EB 1.1 become available... and in the meanwhile I think I can test my ideas of creating new units for ALX engine (to be recruited in Greece and not only).
Oh, and I suppose that the First Cohorts shall be given an Aquilifer model, as previously? It seems that the EB's FC does not have a model?
But... if that means that there will be some models removed or so... maybe not... anyway I think that with ALX engine I can add Aquilifer model to DMB file with ease :D

What my plans for adding units are, is a short list, mostly due to not so great number of models and skins made by KLA, wich I'm gonna use:
1. new hoplites: new Syracuse hoplite and new Spartan hoplite (I think I'll make them as "elite" - shock troops), also Athenian hoplite, Euboean hoplite (to be used by slave and KH if they retake Euboea), Elean hoplite (for a new unit "Aetolian League hoplite" for use of KH, slave and Epeiros), Theban hoplite (to be used by slave, KH, Epeiros and Maks) and Arcadian hoplite (as "Achaean league hoplite" for use of slave, Maks and possibly Epeiros); also Tarentine hoplite (slave, KH, Epeiros) and Tarentine leukaspides (elite unit, slave, KH, Epeiros)
2. Increase the recruitment area of FC - whole Italy + Mediolanum and maybe Massilia (early FC) + maybe some main provinces (province capitals), yet with distinction into 2 types - "eastern" (in lorica squamata - lamellar armour) and "western" (in lorica segmentata - though ahistorical, but veeery nice... I just love these guys) (late/Augustan FC)
2. Add some "provincial veteran cohorts" (in same places as late FC) => made up of veterans settled in newly conquered areas, like African veterans of Caius Marius)
3. Praetorian infantry - historically recruitable in Latium, Campania and Umbria; maybe also in one place in Hispania and Dacia; plus "Evocati Augusti" - veterans of the Praetoriani, possibly the toughest Roman unit in game, but presumably also the most expensive, recruitable only in Latium and - maybe as well as other Praetorians - needing 2 turns to be built - and EA in lorica segmentata :D
4. Auxilia - well, I just miss tese guys, so I'll add to postMarian roster the infantry auxilia (light spearmen with no javelins/pila, but capable of fighting cavalry => presumably light_spear?) of Italy, yet excluding Latium? But including Sicilia, Sardinia and Corsica + Mediolanum and maybe Massilia? And also some Ala quingenaria auxiliaria - cavalry to be recruitedin southern Italy and maybe also Gallia Cisalpina (some 4-5 provinces only)
5. Cataphracts - well, if a player goes so well that he reaches Persia or Eastern European and Asian steppes, he should have sth to cope with these formidable horsemen => in Mikra Skythia, Skythia and Crimean Peninsula as well as in Assyria (and Syria maybe too) he would be able to recruit (also within 2 turns, I suppose) the Cataphracti (or Equites Contarii) in Native barracks lvl 4 (the highest available in provinces with Govt lvl 2)

TWFanatic
04-10-2008, 17:18
Lol, sounds like you're prepared for a modding excursion.

But... if that means that there will be some models removed or so... maybe not... anyway I think that with ALX engine I can add Aquilifer model to DMB file with ease :D
You probably can.

Have fun!

Darth Stalin
04-10-2008, 23:38
However, the latest report from Maksimus shows, that something weird appears to happen with ALX engine working with EB 1.1 => he probably can't implement the no-Immortality trait, which would mean the ALX engine is of no use, as without the Immortal and antiImmortal traits the ALX engine prevents all generals from dying...

Strange thing and I'll have to test it as soon as I get EB 1.1 installed (maybe in weekend; too much work in "normal" week days... :( ). Anyway it looks weird, as with EB 1.0 there were no problems with getting it to work on ALX.exe.