PDA

View Full Version : Opinion - Whats Your Fovorite Faction Overall?

G^2
04-10-2008, 03:00
Hey all, been a while since I've seen this thread and thought I would start a new one. I don't think one has been created since Kingdoms was released, so whats your favorite faction including kingdoms factions?

Personally, I like the Teutonic Order. I love the unite roster between Prussian Pike Men, Latvian Xbows, and mounted and dismounted Ritterbruder. Not to mention the fear that the later units cause. Even the simple sword militia and battle priests (can't remember their name) have distinguished themselves in battle. I also like the way the family tree is replaced by order officers, very nice touch. Only draw back is not being able to have the higher level cities, but the units more than make up for this lack.

Gaius Terentius Varro
04-10-2008, 03:28
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=92078

Gaius Terentius Varro
04-10-2008, 03:29
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91440

Henry707
04-10-2008, 12:59
Always a good question.

I suppose if I had to really go for one I would saw the Byzantines with maybe the Turks in second place.

I love the Bzyantine guard archers & the varditori. As the game develops, I think they pretty much tick all of the boxes. I not really very good with guns so I stick with arrows!

The guard archers are a very versatile unit & look pretty good as well in their smart shiny armour outfits! The Vards also have great looking hats!

Is a fashion a reason to choose them? I think so !!

Henri

Quintus.JC
04-10-2008, 14:12
France. They just have such a completed army. While their cavalry is undisputed as the best in the west. Their infantry is no way as below average. They have excellent Pike and Voulgie, standard European spearmen, and three different kinds of dismounted Knights which are all some of the best assult infantry in the game. Their missile is also unbelieveabley good. Aventurier is the best crossbowmen in the game. Dismounted French Archers is simplely the French equvilent as to the English Retinue Bowmen. Scots Guard is possiblely the best hybroid of Melee infantry and missile infantry. Their Artillery is respectable and their navy and technology is also above average. Superb.:2thumbsup:

trickydicky
04-10-2008, 14:43
France. They just have such a completed army. While their cavalry is undisputed as the best in the west. Their infantry is no way as below average. They have excellent Pike and Voulgie, standard European spearmen, and three different kinds of dismounted Knights which are all some of the best assult infantry in the game. Their missile is also unbelieveabley good. Aventurier is the best crossbowmen in the game. Dismounted French Archers is simplely the French equvilent as to the English Retinue Bowmen. Scots Guard is possiblely the best hybroid of Melee infantry and missile infantry. Their Artillery is respectable and their navy and technology is also above average. Superb.:2thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more. Out of all the western factions France has the best Unit roster, and is a blast to play as. The Turks are also worth a look if your into the eastern factions.

PBI
04-10-2008, 14:43
Grand campaign: Gotta be the Turks. The only campaign I ever got around to conquering all the provinces, and beating the Timurids, and going to the Americas. I think it's just the variety in the unit roster, they are strong in everything, so once I got bored of one army setup I could just switch to another. Plus, no need to make nice with the Pope.

Kingdoms: Wales Wales Wales. Decent heavy spearmen who can actually beat cavalry, decent light cavalry, and the mighty Saethwyr longbowmen. Plus, a campaign where you absolutely have to attack against the odds and hope for the best.

Or maybe I just like green factions.

Pater Familias
04-10-2008, 20:51
Russia. Crappy units. Horrible starting location. Mongols up the tailpipe just when you start getting a hold on things. A challenge, without modding the system to create one.

Sicily. You can go any direction on the compass from turn 1.

From Kingdoms: The Danes. Requires diplomacy to balance threats from HRE/Novgorod/Teutonic League. Good mix of siege/naval/open field conflict. Great pace to the scenario. The Kalmar Union and Hanseatic League as midpoint victory conditions to shoot for. And no pope to appease. :whip:

Rhyfelwyr
04-10-2008, 22:35
Haven't got onto Kingdoms yet, but my favourite factions are probably the Turks for their amazingly diverse and top-notch unit roster, the Danes because they are Vikings, the Scots since the Highland line of units are so unique, the Polish for Strzelcy, and the Spanish for their mix of solid feudal units plus the awesome Jinetes.

EDIT: 1,000 Posts :balloon:

PrestigeX
04-11-2008, 05:47
Spain or Portugal

i think they have the best units for my fighting style, and i like how devasting you can coerce the enemy to fight you uphill lol ..plus they have cool late game units like Conquistadors and Swordsmen and stuff

Kadagar_AV
04-11-2008, 09:42
Denmark!

And the only reason is: VIKINGS!

There is something special about watching vikings charge into a battleline....

And I just love the gameplay, if ever in doubt, press charge! The army setup is the most "get in there" of all factions imho... Forget about the finer tactics, you have huge guys with axes and a bad attitude. :2thumbsup:

Monk
04-11-2008, 11:24
For the Grand Campaign it has to be the HRE.

They've got a difficult position and can easily be surrounded by enemies, however they also have huge potential and can expand quickly in pretty much any direction they want. The pope can be annoying at times, sure, but I always found it to be a plus. Trying to dodge being excomed while still having a campaign filled with war is a lot of fun and adds a little flavor to the game. :beam:

Quickening
04-11-2008, 11:45
Denmark!

And the only reason is: VIKINGS!

There is something special about watching vikings charge into a battleline....

Got to agree with you there. Thats why I love playing as the Norwegians in the Britannia campaign. I just love rock hard infantry and Vikings just make anything awesome.

Quintus.JC
04-11-2008, 12:01
I'm a good Catholic boy, I don't think I have ever been excommunicated in the game.........except with the HRE. But I was forced!:no: