PDA

View Full Version : Multiple simultaneous victories?

Praetor Rick
04-16-2008, 06:15
What happens if you achieve multiple victory conditions at the same time?

Say, as Gaul, you eliminate the SPQR and take your 50th province at the same time, by conquering Rome. Assuming the Julii are already done for, that should give you Survivor (short campaign victory) and Imperator (long campaign victory) at the same time. Further - what if, as Gaul, you've conquered every single province on the map prior to taking Rome - that should give you the "You've conquered everything, there's nothing more to do" victory, whatever it's called.

Do you get all applicable victory FMV's, or only the "first" one, or only the "greatest" one, or what? Gaul has the most obvious path to all 3 victories at the same time, but anyone can do it if they make sure their short victory condition enemy gets set up in Rome before they conquer the whole world.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
04-18-2008, 13:34
I think that for the Short Campaign and Long Campaign dual victory scenario, the victory corresponding to the campaign victory conditions being played will be shown.

If this is correct, then if the Long Campaign was selected, the Long Campaign Victory would be shown. If the Short Campaign was selected, the Short Campaign victory would be shown. The Long Campaign victory conditions are used if the player chooses to carry on after loosing or winning the Short Campaign (if it were selected) so, in that case, the Long Campaign victory would be displayed.

The only complication is what happens if the player is playing the short campaign and chooses to continue. In that case, I'm tempted to presume that the Long Campaign victory message is shown immediately after the choice to carry on is selected.

Don't quote me on that though - it's just my presumptions of how it works.

As for conquering the map, I'd guess that you'd first get the long campaign victory message and, if you choose to continue, the map conquest message.

That I'm even less certain about though.

~:)

Barry
04-18-2008, 17:12
This would be hard to try as you would have to do a short campaign but whilst you were still conquering Europe, Egypt could have their victory conditions resulting in a loss for you.

Praetor Rick
04-18-2008, 21:39
This would be hard to try as you would have to do a short campaign but whilst you were still conquering Europe, Egypt could have their victory conditions resulting in a loss for you.

True, it wouldn't be easy at all. You'd definately have to spend a great deal of time acting as a "spoiler" for some of the typically dominant factions.

The trick is to take down whichever "big dog" player is close to you quickly, and then gut the other posthaste. If you can stop the three Roman factions and Egypt from winning the game, usually nobody else is a problem. Other than those, the typical power player only has maybe 10 provinces, so it doesn't matter who you eliminate. It's only the Romans and Egypt who tend to be big enough that making sure their short campaign enemies stay alive is an issue.

Quirinus
04-19-2008, 05:26
While, at the same time, making sure you don't kill the faction you're supposed to kill too prematurely. I'd imagine that at one point you might even have to help out a faction against some other aggressor. :laugh4:

Praetor Rick
04-20-2008, 05:50
While, at the same time, making sure you don't kill the faction you're supposed to kill too prematurely. I'd imagine that at one point you might even have to help out a faction against some other aggressor. :laugh4:

Well, you have to get your short victory prey to settle down in Rome. Once you've done that, since you almost certainly have the rest of Italy, your short victory prey is about as safe as it's possible to be. At least until you decide to obliterate them and win the game.

The Gauls definately have it easiest, since their short victory prey faction *STARTS* in Rome.

Flying Pig
04-20-2008, 10:08
Is it even possible? I mean, to win the short campaign you have to have selected the short campaign box, so it ignores the long victory conditions, no?

Praetor Rick
04-20-2008, 14:07
Is it even possible? I mean, to win the short campaign you have to have selected the short campaign box, so it ignores the long victory conditions, no?

If you continue after winning or losing a short victory, you can then win a long victory by holding 50 provinces including Rome. And short or long, if you continue until you've conquered everything, you get the total domination message.

There's no way to know without testing whether short victory turns off the long victory conditions or whether it just turns on the short victory conditions - unless you go out of your way, you probably won't win a long victory without either winning or losing the short campaign. It is quite plain that you cannot win a short victory in a long campaign, since you will usually plow through your short campaign objectives on the way to 50 provinces and ruling Rome.

RLucid
04-20-2008, 15:14
But Flying Pig's suggestion makes sense. The program seems to test the victory conditions for the campaign at certain points during a turn, and if you have the "Short Game" box checked, those are the conditions it'll test against. I would then expect new victory conditions to be set, and they would be tested in due course, allowing the short-long-world victories to be creditted in due course.

It doesn't make sense to program an edge triggered victory condition "Have I gone from 14 to 15 provinces?", rather than a level triggered one "Have I at least 15 provinces?". So I doubt you'ld have to deliberately lose provinces, in order to fulfill long conditions later, after eliminating the short victory opposition faction(s). Thus most likely "simultaneous" victory conditions, would result in a sequence of victory popups perhaps 1 per faction turn (victories are achievable as a result of non-player faction action so conditions ought to be tested more often than at end of player turn only).

Livy
04-20-2008, 23:21
I would plump for the total domination message. This I think has the most importance so therefore I think that it would overrule the others, although the short victory cutscene would be the most relevant. Not sure. I think I will go for the total domination message.