PDA

View Full Version : Corinthian Hoplites

chairman
04-17-2008, 08:28
I remember awhile back, well before I got EB, that there was a unit of special Corinthian Hoplites in EB that were eventually scrapped. There obviously was enough of a reason to include them in the first place, so I'm wondering what set the Corinthians apart from the hoplites of other city-states to warrant a seperate unit. As far as reputation, the only truly famous forces that I'm aware are the Spartiates and the Theban Sacred Band (which means that I'm open to being educated). Also, what was the name of that unit?

Chairman

Ludens
04-17-2008, 14:15
The Corinthian hoplite wasn't so much dropped as changed into the classical hoplite. I understand the reasoning was that there were two "styles" of hoplite in post-Alexandrian Greece: the newer Iphikratean one and the classical one. In EB 0.7 the Iphikratean hoplites was included, but there were no classical style hoplites for the Greek cities (curiously, there were for other factions). Since the team felt that this did not properly represent the Corinthians, a special unit of Corinthians was included. However, as there were other poleis that also used the classical style this unit was eventually changed into a standard, classical hoplite unit.

Game-wise, the Corinthian hoplite was redundant next to the Iphikratean one, as it still used the phalanx formation, cost the same and had slightly worse stats.

Olaf The Great
04-17-2008, 23:35
The Corinthian hoplite wasn't so much dropped as changed into the classical hoplite. I understand the reasoning was that there were two "styles" of hoplite in post-Alexandrian Greece: the newer Iphikratean one and the classical one. In EB 0.7 the Iphikratean hoplites was included, but there were no classical style hoplites for the Greek cities (curiously, there were for other factions). Since the team felt that this did not properly represent the Corinthians, a special unit of Corinthians was included. However, as there were other poleis that also used the classical style this unit was eventually changed into a standard, classical hoplite unit.

Game-wise, the Corinthian hoplite was redundant next to the Iphikratean one, as it still used the phalanx formation, cost the same and had slightly worse stats.
Heh, I remember that unit.

It was basically useless, as it had the same stats but less stamina than Iphrikratean hoplites.

Of course I also remember that Horribly bugged up orange and black general unit in Delphi.