PDA

View Full Version : Age of Conan

Sjakihata
05-19-2008, 10:11
Early Access is already being played and the big release is friday 23rd of may. Is anyone planning on playing it? Have you preordered it?

Sadly I cant play it, since my machine isnt powerful enough to run it. It looks awesome, something to do while waiting for Darkfall :O

www.ageofconan.com

their is is not working atm, due to heavy traffic or what not

pevergreen
05-19-2008, 11:20
Friend i work with was in the closed beta.

Says its the best MMO he has played (we both did closed LOTRO beta, he has played multiple others)

He says its finally an MMORPG that actually IS an RPG with a lot of players. The combat system is perfect. He has not had a bad thing to say about it.

I'd say look into it. I trust him.

TB666
05-19-2008, 11:27
Second the opinion above.
I have played Guild Wars, WoW, Eve Online, Pirates of the Burning Seas and more and Age of Conan is so far the best I have played.
Great looking graphics, a mature world and best of all, a interesting and fun combat system.

Sjakihata
05-19-2008, 14:44
The thing that really appeals to me is the fact that the is not 'auto-attack' and that you have to think and move in combat. Also the magic seems excellent, i like that it is a 'low' rpg, and that magic can backfire. You have to wait for a mage to 'weave' a powerful spell, the melee circle around him and wait for him to finish his big spellweave, and pray it doesnt backfire :)

Gief new PC :idea2:

Veho Nex
05-19-2008, 22:01
for all you collectors edition owners out there Page 105 ;)

Meneldil
05-19-2008, 22:17
Most people who played the beta told me it wasn't that great. The combat system quickly becomes boring, casters are screwed up and what not.

I have had a look at it (though not playing the game actually), and something really surprised me : the world isn't really open. There are invisible walls here, moutains that you cannot climb up there, and such things, and overall the game felt like a FPS rather than like a MMORPG.

CBR
05-20-2008, 01:04
I tried the beta shortly. I guess melee is more advanced in the sense that its not totally braindead buttonmashing but you actually do need two perhaps three working braincells.

But ok I see the collectors edition is sold out so Im sure it will be a hit.

CBR

TB666
05-20-2008, 01:19
the world isn't really open. There are invisible walls here, moutains that you cannot climb up there, and such things, and overall the game felt like a FPS rather than like a MMORPG.
Well no MMORPG so far has had a open world.
While AOC isn't as open as WoW is(considering the graphics it would be impossible for it to have the same level of l WoW), it isn't as closed as Guild wars which anyone should be thankful for since in that game you were on rails pretty much.
It hits a balance between the two which I think is fine.

Veho Nex
05-20-2008, 05:08
I still like page 105

Spartan198
05-20-2008, 10:35
What the heck is on page 105?! You people are killing me here! :dizzy2:

I've seen it stated that the game both does and does not have a single player mode. Any news for me on that?

TB666
05-20-2008, 11:52
I've seen it stated that the game both does and does not have a single player mode. Any news for me on that?
Well it's a bit confusing.
The first 20 levels(which is the tortage area) is a mix.
The main story line is single-player but the side-quests are in the open area(so there are other players in the area and doing the same quest etc).
This is to serve as a training area you can say.
But once you leave Tortage there won't be any more single player and the game will act like any other MMORPG.

Veho Nex
05-20-2008, 15:00
Wow, I think funcom is about to face a huge fat law suit here. Everyone has been banned from the forums and everyones accounts have been cancled.

TB666
05-20-2008, 21:07
Wow, I think funcom is about to face a huge fat law suit here. Everyone has been banned from the forums and everyones accounts have been cancled.
Yeah I think the forums got erased.
However the player accounts for the actual game is still there tho and people have no problems logging in.
So no lawsuit since if anyone is gonna sue them for the forums then they are just sad people.

BigTex
05-22-2008, 06:36
Well no MMORPG so far has had a open world.

I loathe to say it, but Vanguard is completely open.

Any old Everquest players have an opinion on AoC yet?

TB666
05-22-2008, 14:58
Also page 105 is freaking awesome

Spartan198
05-22-2008, 15:16
Also page 105 is freaking awesome
GAAAAH!!!! Please, for the love of sanity, I'm just begging for someone to tell me what's on page 105!!!

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

TB666
05-22-2008, 15:19
GAAAAH!!!! Please, for the love of sanity, I'm just begging for someone to tell me what's on page 105!!!

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Can't, against forum rules.
Let's just say that it's something for mature people.

Veho Nex
05-22-2008, 17:41
Very mature people ;) If you really need it I will scan it and send it to you but I'd rather not do that as it cuts into my valuable AoC time. BTW awesome game. I mean really awesome. The fatalities are what i really look forward too cause i mean come on, whats better than jamming a dagger into the forhead of a mog and ripping it out through the side splattering your screen with blood? eh eh nothing thats what

Navaros
05-22-2008, 18:20
Why did the forums get erased? Were vets from the beta being honest on the forums about what's wrong with the game, and that's why they erased them?

Reminds me of The Adventure Company shutting down their forums for posters starting a huge backlash against their games' Starforce infestations. And HellGate: London making you need an account just to read their forums, so that as few people as possible get to read how really bad of a game it is before they buy it.

In other words, the erasing of the AOC forums is a very bad sign, and inquiring minds want to know more about the circumstances surrounding this incident. :laugh4:

TB666
05-22-2008, 19:05
Why did the forums get erased? Were vets from the beta being honest on the forums about what's wrong with the game, and that's why they erased them?

Not really.
Problem was that the old forum was extremely badly run.
It was just filled with spam and flames mainly with people joining stating that they were in the beta making stuff up(wouldn't be surprised if it was WoW fans).
There was just so much BS that it was hard to seperate the facts from lies.
So far I think the new forums are better.
Atleast now they know that the people on it are infact playing the game.
Hopefully they will open the forums up atleast for viewing after release and when things have calmed down.

Bob the Insane
05-25-2008, 20:52
Picked up AoC on Friday and been having a great time...

Never played WoW or EQ... The game is a bit like a NWN2 in many ways with the looks of Oblivion...

I am lvl 28 and have played for an evening and a day and have not not anything that would not be out of place in a SP game so far... If it was not for all the othr avatars running around, this could have been a SP game so far...

There are a lot of people complaining about the minimum specs for the game but my Dual Core Extreme with 2GB RAM and a 8800GTX is just eating it up with most gfx options maxed...

I am experimenting at the moment... I installing it on my Vista partition to play, but am now installing it a second time on my XP partition to see if it makes any performance difference...

Spartan198
05-26-2008, 02:24
Very mature people ;) If you really need it I will scan it and send it to you
I'm pretty sure I've found Page 105 via image search. But I'll gladly look for a PM from you for confirmation. ;)

TB666
05-26-2008, 10:02
I'm pretty sure I've found Page 105 via image search. But I'll gladly look for a PM from you for confirmation. ;)
Well if you use google image of her name with the safe filter off then it's the first picture.

Spartan198
05-26-2008, 14:39
Well if you use google image of her name with the safe filter off then it's the first picture.
Her? (fully clothed, of course)
https://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm97/SpartanWarrior198/Keaira-BlueBackdrop.jpg

TB666
05-26-2008, 15:01
Yes her(her name is stated in the file name)

Spartan198
05-26-2008, 15:40
Then I've definitely found Page 105. :whip:

TB666
05-26-2008, 15:48
Nice isn't it ??:yes:
It was done for a special issue of Playboy that had a tribute to babes in video games.
Kinda sad when you think about it but funny at the same time :2thumbsup:

Ja'chyra
05-28-2008, 07:26
All that excitement for a pair of cartoon boobs, methinks the arena is populated by 12-15 year olds.

Veho Nex
05-28-2008, 08:25
Hey if you look closer... I can't go anyfurther, But you know. Her cartoon boobs are nice. and 17 if I'll have you know HMMPH!

Geoffrey S
05-28-2008, 09:41
Actually, it probably says a lot about the target audience of the game. Male, and under 18. Funny how game developers always attempt to justify gratuitous titillation as 'mature'.

Meneldil
05-28-2008, 10:58
Okay, played it up to lvl 14, can't say I'm really impressed.

The game is okay-ish, though I can't see how the combat system is revolutionnary. It's just as mindless button smashing as WoW or Vanguard, 'xept you have like 2 more buttons to smash.

And yeah, the "this game is for mature players" motto is crap. From what I've seen, it's filled with 15 year old idiots who spend their time bitching at DaoC/WoW/EQ and bragging how they're better because they play AoC... huh, yeah guys, way to go :inquisitive:

Xiahou
05-28-2008, 16:09
And yeah, the "this game is for mature players" motto is crap. From what I've seen, it's filled with 15 year old idiots who spend their time bitching at DaoC/WoW/EQ and bragging how they're better because they play AoC... huh, yeah guys, way to go :inquisitive:Were you on a PvP server? I've heard they're full of idiots, but I wouldn't know as I haven't tried one.

This thread aside, I've been impressed with the overall maturity of AoC gamers thus far. As soon as I've heard this game allowed women characters to go topless I expected to see dozens of them prancing around towns and running all over the place without any clothes on, like the 14yr old nerds they most likely are.(see WoW and night elves) However, in the time my wife and I have been playing, I think I've only seen that occur about 3x at most. That surprises me, honestly.

I've only played on a single PvE server, but the community has generally been friendly as well. I don't think I've heard the word 'noob' used once and while there are a few grumpy "rtfm" types, most people seem more than happy to answer even the dumbest questions from newcomers. Maybe I just picked a good server though. :shrug:

Meneldil
05-28-2008, 20:01
I rolled on the french PvP server yeah. Surprisingly, I haven't even been ganked once. Had a few fights there and there (as you would expect), but that's about it. And it looks like the general chan get better once you leave the first area.

All in all, it's not that bad, and I can see why people are enjoying the game. But it's not the next gen MMORPG it was supposed to be.

Veho Nex
05-29-2008, 07:07
Actually, it probably says a lot about the target audience of the game. Male, and under 18. Funny how game developers always attempt to justify gratuitous titillation as 'mature'.

In RL I look like im 20+ I've even walked into a few bars and asked if the bar's bouncer is supposed to card.(He was and the guy was given a severe warning) But when I was picking up my copy a 14-15 year old kid said he pre ordered and even his parent was there. First thing the kid does is open the CE and turn to page 105 and not more than 5seconds later the mom is asking for her money back while scolding this kid and telling him he should stick to WoW.

As for the revolutionary combat system it is considerably more revolutionary than wow. The button mashing is in effective if your certain classes and fighting certain classes. If you block from the same direction as the attack and then attack with one of the other two you can crit more often(the games un-official counter attack system) and I've found the triangle of the game.
[Rogues>Warrior>priest>mages]>Ranger and their glitched traps.

I also love to see an entire community come together to kill off a group of players guilded to Hordes of Goonhiem. It makes me happy:2thumbsup:

Ja'chyra
05-29-2008, 11:40
I'm not that impressed, granted I've not left the starting area yet but it all seems quite dark and a bit boring at the minute.

It didn't help that I didn't receive the mammoth I was promised by Game.

I'll probably stick though the first free month but unless it gets better I won't be paying for it, again.

TB666
05-29-2008, 15:43
Finally
https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/596/tharyapicture010mh8.th.jpg (https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tharyapicture010mh8.jpg)
Oh yeah :cool:

Meneldil
05-29-2008, 21:19
Sexy I say.

Viking
05-30-2008, 15:50
Finally
https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/596/tharyapicture010mh8.th.jpg (https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tharyapicture010mh8.jpg)

Almost feel like I'm missing out on something. :inquisitive:

TB666
05-30-2008, 16:37
Almost feel like I'm missing out on something. :inquisitive:
What do you mean ??

Viking
05-30-2008, 17:01
What do you mean ??

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/miss+out :whip:

TB666
05-30-2008, 17:02
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/miss+out :whip:
Now I follow. :book:

Bob the Insane
05-30-2008, 20:45
Finally

Where did you find the cash?!?!

1 Gold to learn to ride and 2 gold for the cheapest horse... I have lvl 45 and only have a handful of silver to show for it...

TB666
05-30-2008, 20:53
Where did you find the cash?!?!

1 Gold to learn to ride and 2 gold for the cheapest horse... I have lvl 45 and only have a handful of silver to show for it...
Everyone that pre-ordered got a free mount(either the mammoth or Rhino).
And you don't pay for the training to ride it either.
Of course the Mammoth and Rhino are slow as snails and suppose to be used for sieges.
If you wanna travel fast you have to cough up the cash for the training and horse which I'm doing now.

Bob the Insane
06-04-2008, 21:07
Apparantly as you get into the 50-60 lvl range the cash starts to add up a little more from questing...

Still it seems a little unbalanced to introduce the possiblilty of mounts at a level that it would take a nightmare in grinding to generation cash to afford a mount. 40+ it would be really nice to have a mount just because you often need to cross the fairly large areas you have already cleared to get to the higher level zones...

TB666
06-04-2008, 21:27
Well in WoW you had to do alot of grinding if you wanted your mount when you hit 40.
However in WoW you had crafting to help you.
Every proffesion had it's own cashcow that you could milk in order to get the money you need.
In AoC crafting doesn't start until you hit 40 and is at the moment bugged.

However reading the dev posts on the forums has made me confident in it's future.
They are devoted to make sure that most of the bugs will be fixed as soon as possible so that they can start adding in new content.
With in a week or 2 we will among other things get more armor to wear and the drops will be improved.