PDA

View Full Version : LotR - The Hippodrome

TinCow
05-29-2008, 17:42
The Hippodrome of Constantinople

http://www.mmdtkw.org/VHorses.jpg

Citizens and Senators! Welcome to the Hippodrome!

As a friendly reminder to all patrons, supporters of the Blues are requested to sit on west side of the arena, while supporters of the Greens are requested to sit on the east side of the arena. Improper seating may result in grievous bodily harm at the hands of the opposing faction. As always, the Basileus' box (Kathisma) is located in the south, dividing both sections, and is directly connected to the Great Palace by a private staircase.

Chariot Races will be run in the Hippodrome on a regular basis. As is tradition, there will be four chariot teams competing in each race. The teams are well-known to all Romans by their colors, the Blues (Venetii), the Greens (Prasinoi), the Reds (Rousioi) and the Whites (Leukoi). While at one point all four teams competed separately, the Reds and the Whites have long since lost their prominence as independent teams and both act as a 'second' team for the greater factions of the Blues and Greens. The Reds are the second team of the Blues, and the Whites are the second team of the Greens. A victory for either of a faction's teams is considered a victory for the faction as a whole.

The races themselves will be seven laps of the Hippodrome. The chariots will be pulled by either two or four horses, depending on what the factions agree upon before the race begins. The names and notable skills of the four Charioteers (Agitators), along with any other pertinent information about the teams, will be announced at the time the races are scheduled.

Senators are free to make any kind of wager they would like on the outcome of the chariot races. Bets may be made based on which faction will be victorious, which individual team will be victorious, or any other aspect that is deemed worthy of gambling over. Races will be announced several days before they are scheduled to take place, so there will be plenty of time for the placing of bets. Senators are reminded that these bets are private affairs, and enforcement of the terms of the bets must be accomplished by the gamblers themselves. As is well known, the Blues and Greens have a notoriously hostile rivalry, and corruption and foul-play may impact the outcome of the races themselves. In such an event, Senators are urged to keep their followers in line to prevent damage to the city from mass rioting.

---

Historical Background on the Hippodrome:
J. B. Bury's History of the Later Roman Empire (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/BURLAT/3*.html#4)
BBC's Guide to Everything (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A32015611) (Excellent Article, with great details about how the races were run)
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippodrome_of_Constantinople)
Computer generated images of the Hippodrome can be found here (http://www.byzantium1200.com/hipodrom.html) and here (http://www.byzantium1200.com/boxes.html).

Note on Chariot Races: The events and outcome of the races will be determined by multiple dice rolls. Teams will have set odds of overtaking an opponent on every lap. Primary teams will have better odds than secondary teams. However, there are multiple factors that can influence the races. All charioteers will have personal characteristics that will give them advantages and disadvantages in certain situations. These will increase or decrease their odds of a successful die roll. Advantages could be things such as doing well with two-horse chariots, being a good starter, or excelling in the last lap of a race. Disadvantages could be things such as doing poorly with four-horse chariots, being weak on laps 3 through 5, or being intimidated by a particular opponent. In addition, there is a small chance that each faction will attempt to cheat. Cheating can take many forms, from minor things like throwing something into the face of an opponent during the race, to major things like sabotaging an opponent's starting gate or bribing a Pit-Stop Soaker (Sparsor) to 'forget' to wet down an opponent's axle, possibly causing the chariot to catch fire. Chariot racing is also a dangerous sport, and it will be possible for chariot teams to wreck and even for Charioteers to be killed. None of the odds for the die rolls will be made publicly available, but a general description of the race will contain clues as to which teams will have advantages or disadvantages in certain situations. The race itself will be described in the form of a running commentary.

Ramses II CP
05-30-2008, 14:07
Strator Vissarionas ek Lesvou strides into the common entrance of the Hippodrome with some confidence and an uplifted nose. A rather foolish looking cap is pulled down in what he clearly thinks is a rakish manner over his forehead, but a hint of a scar can be seen protruding beneath it onto his forehead. He is immediately swarmed by a small army of petty merchants, all shouting the superiority of their wares and offering everything from meat pies to crude flags in the colors of the teams. The young man is taken somewhat aback, and rather than just push through he takes one of the men by the shoulder and loudly proclaims,

'Why as it happens I've come just for one of those red flags chased in blue! Here, here, let's clear a space and step aside so we can conduct our business in peace!'

The horde slowly breaks up, with many disgusted and disgruntled looks at their luckier brother. Eventually, after a brief bit of haggling, Vissarionas hands over a few coins and takes the miniature red flag. A careful watcher, or one familiar with the Hippodrome, will note that he was significantly overcharged for the crude little construct. Looking about Vissarionas picks a direction and starts walking, climbing a set of stairs and eventually emerging into the stands above the main stadium.

At first his facade of noble indifference holds up, but as his eyes sweep from end to end, taking in the glorious statues and the sheer scale of the structure a faint look of awe comes over him. For many minutes Vissarionas can be seen just standing there, taking it all in with wide eyes and an open face. Eventually his gaze narrows, and he begins to seek out grounds more appropriate to a noble...

:egypt:

Ituralde
05-30-2008, 16:55
Pavlos is in a bad mood. The way he is violently chewing on a peanut is one indication of this. Another is the scar that runs from the left corner of his mouth down across his chin and neck, making the left half of his face appear to be set in constant disgruntlement. The third indicator would be the dark look he is casting across the room where he is laying sprawled on a divan, enjoying the cool shade of this recluse for the Senators, the din of the crowd outside muted.

Attacking a second peanut ferociously he doesn't even spare a glance to the youngling entering, choosing instead to follow his own brooding thoughts.

Ferret
05-30-2008, 17:07
Hypatios makes striaght for the Nobles' box. On his way he sees a man agressively destroying a peanut and chuckles. He also notices that everyone else in the box has a scar on their face somewhere and mutters to himself

Must just be bad fighters...

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 17:31
Makedonios takes a break from the swearing ceremonies in the Order chambers to come and check out the Hippodrome. Mid-twenties with flowing blonde hair, the man strides through the market. He is adorned with a small scar on his face from when a Turkish sword nailed his helmet too hard and shards broke off. He is dressed simply and plainly and wears a plain white cape with a purple Orthodox cross on it.

Strolling up to a stand, the young noble asks for tea. While standing there, he feels his cape move slightly. With the moves of a veteran, his hand shoots down and grabs the wrist of a small boy who was attempting to lift the Comes's change purse. Expecting a beating, the boy cowers. Makedonios lets go of the boys wrist, purchases a small plate of dates, and hands it to the boy. Patting him on the head, Makedonios walks away with his tea. The boy just stands there in shock and munches on a date.

Makedonios walks around looking for a good place to sit. He sees a noble box at the far end that is out of the way from some of the hustle and bustle. The box is empty and he takes a seat, puts his feet up, and sips his tea. Makedonios sees Vissarionas looking for a seat and waves at the young Strator to come join him.

00jebus
05-30-2008, 17:47
After securing a room at a nearby inn, Lisas heads straight to the hippodrome, making a bee-line for the nobles box as child attempts to take his coin purse, though aware, Lisas allows this to happen as he floats into the box and orders some wine, leaving behind a dissapointed child who now owns one empty sack.

Sunlight shines on his boyish face as he pulls out his real coinpurse and orders some wine, the barman looks slightly annoyed at serving someone so young before passing over Lisas' prefered vintage.

Impressed and slightly intimidated by the battle scars of the other patrons, he takes a table in the corner by himself, and pulls out a small book detailing how to judge a chariot team before a race starts

TinCow
05-30-2008, 18:40
http://amaust.romanrepublic.org/RomanChariotBig.jpg

Romans! Citizens of Constantinople!

In honor of the reign of Basileus Aleksios Komenus and the imminent opening of a new Senate session, I am proud to announce the resumption of racing in the Hippodrome! On the first day of June, you shall witness a great spectacle of sporting delight. Come one, come all, to the Hippodrome on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! This epic clash between the Blues and Greens will be using fast and agile two-horse chariots, a constant crowd-pleaser!

For the Blue Faction, the Blue Team charioteer will be the man you know and love, Constans Kaspax! Renowned for his kindness and charity, he is the very embodiment of chivalry. He has set an example that all Romans should heed, and has hand-picked an entire team of assistants who are honest and true in all aspects of life. Yet, let it not be said that Constans Kaspax lives by virtue alone. He is a master of the early race and often dominates the crucial opening laps!

Also for the Blue Faction, the Red Team will be led by the ironically named Longinius Nicerite. Ironic, as this stub of a man is nearly a dwarf! 'Longinius' indeed! Can he even see over the horses? That might explain why he performs poorly in the closing laps; he gets tired of standing on his toes!

For the Green Faction, the mighty Green Team will be led by the man you known and love, Falkon Xerus! This famous racer hardly needs an introduction from me, for his accomplishments are known throughout the Empire! He brings with him his equally famous chariot, Belisarius, one of the strongest and most reliable the Hippodrome has ever seen! Yet for all this, the mighty Falkon Xerus has fallen on a string of bad luck. Acts of God and the Whims of Fate have thwarted this man in his recent races. Will he finally break out of this slump, or is he truly cursed?

Finally, last but not least, the Green Faction's White Team charioteer is a man young of age but showing great promise, Phocas Dandalo! He does not have the experience of the other racers, but what he lacks in age he makes up for in spirit! Phocas Dandalo has already shown himself to be a hard driver. He expects much from his horses, and he has the skill the get it from them! The only question is whether such strenuous running will sap the endurance of his team and leave him at a disadvantage in the closing laps.

This exhibition race will be run on Sunday, June 1st. All who wish to observe this historic spectacle are urged to attend!

Ramses II CP
05-30-2008, 21:48
At last Vissarionas notices Comes Makedonios and walks in his direction. There is still a touch of awestruck wideness to his eyes, and before he can reach the noble box he passes a poster detailing the upcoming race. Vissarionas pauses for what would seem an unecessarily long time puzzling out the meaning of the scroll, and it becomes obvious that reading is not a skill his tutors over-emphasized.

With his foppish cap still perched somewhat absurdly on his head Vissarionas then continues on to join Comes Makedonios in the noble box at the far end. Immediately on entering Vissarionas snaps off what can only be described as a perfectionist's version of a drill salute to the Comes, and holds it while saying,

"Grandmaster, sir, Strator Vissarionas at your service, sir!"

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 21:54
Makedonios smiles warmly at his newest Sergeant. He motions for him to have a seat.

Please sit down. Do you want anything? The tea is quite good with a hint of mint.

I couldn't help but noticed that you stared at the poster a certain way. Forgive my forwardness but could you read it? It's detailing a race that is coming up to celebrate the new Senate session. While gambling is forbidden among men such as you and I, I do enjoy the sport of a good race.

In my opinion, Constans Kaspax is a good man and I hope he wins.

Ramses II CP
05-30-2008, 22:09
Vissarionas smiles somewhat nervously and replies,

"Thank you Grandmaster, I may have a bit of tea later. M'lord I confess reading is not my strong suit. I knew most of the words, to be sure,' here Vissarionas sounds a bit desperate not to embarass himself, and I gather that it's about a race, but I do have a few bits that I'm not sure at all about."

Vissarionas's eyes unfocus a bit as he recalls the troubling parts, and he very carefully spells the word 'd-w-a-r-f.'

"If you don't mind, what does that mean, and what does it have to do with, ahh, seeing horses? I am seemingly a fan of the Reds, you see, though this is my first time in the city really."

Here Vissarionas waves the poorly made little red flag he purchased, causing some of the blue trim near the pole to unravel a bit.

"So if the Red charioteer, this Longinius fellow, is going blind or something I may look a bit foolish holding this thing."

The fact that it does not occur to Vissarionas to purchase a different flag, or even simply discard the one he is holding, possibly reveals a thrifty or stubborn nature. Or perhaps it is simply a lack of imagination.

Ferret
05-30-2008, 22:16
Hypatios can't help but snigger at the fully grown man behaving like a child.

flyd
05-30-2008, 22:17
Markianos Ampelas stumbles into the hippodrome. He is unkempt and several wine stains can be seen on his garments. He raises his arms.

"Go blues! Woooooo!!!"

He then walks (though not in a straight line), to a seat with a good view, and orders some more wine.

Privateerkev
05-30-2008, 23:17
Makedonios maintains his warm demeanor towards his Sergeant.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. There are many books in the Order's headquarters back in Nicosia. I believe Iakovos has already found the library. You can ask any of us for assistance if you need.

As for the word you ask about, that has to do with people being really short. It is feared that he might be so short, that he can't see over the horses. But I wouldn't fear waving the flag around here. Reds are basically a part of the Blue team. And we're in a blue area. Or were at least so far back that no one really cares what flag you wave.

pevergreen
05-31-2008, 03:52
Michail enters the Hippodrome unseen, silently ordering some mutton before turning and speaking softly to the small group of Senators and Strators mulling around before the race.

"Dear friends, some of you may not know me, I am only recently come to my majority, but I have visions of a great empire! I grew up a commoner, but you shall not find me common, anymore. I propose the forming of the house "The democratic house of Noorokuest." But I shall not bore you good people, feel free to seek me out if you have interest in either agreements or if you share a similar ideal. I speak for the good of the empire. Thank you gentlmen."

Michail dissapears into the throb of shouting fans, leaving his manservant, George, behind, startled as always at his master's quick departure.

Askthepizzaguy
05-31-2008, 04:18
A gentleman sits in the back row, not paying much attention to the games, but instead entertaining a group of young children, whose parents were too enamoured with the races, with some simple slight-of-hand. He makes a denarius disappear behind a child's ear, and the lad is baffled until he finds the shiny object in his pocket, and then the boy's face lights up, and he runs off to tell all his friends about the magical man who gives money away. An onlooker wearing the garb of a churchgoer notices this carefree play, and after being somewhat amused for a while, his face darkens when he doesn't understand how the tricks fooled him. When the gentleman makes a toy disappear in his hand, and it is found several rows down, without ever having left his spot, the parishoner stands up and begins to chastise the gentleman.

"What sorcery is this that you are using to frighten the children? Showing such impiety in a public place is an afront to the Lord God Almighty! I demand to know your name."

The Gentleman turns to the churchgoer and looks most puzzled.

"I am Efstratios Monomachos, a veteran soldier of the Roman Empire, and I promise you I am not a man of impiety at all. Why do simple tricks, which are meant solely to amuse children, offend you so? Where is it written in the Holy Book that games for the amusement of children are against the Lord's teaching? Surely God is not offended by the smiles on their faces, nor the generosity of offering alms to the poorest among us? As for sorcery, I am sure that the pious fear no such thing, so long as they have faith in the true Lord. Mighty God could obliterate any evil man, at any moment, no matter how "powerful" that wizard's "sorcery" was. We should not fear those who claim to practice magic, we should warn them that magic and trickery are nothing compared to honour, truth, duty, and respect for the Lord. Showing wayward souls the light, rather than turn our backs on them, should be the way. I have never seen anyone actually cast a spell on anyone, so I do not fear "magicians". Nor should you, pious sir."

The churchgoer looks irritated, and simply mutters "blasphemer" and walks away, shooing the children from this man.

Efstratios mutters "ignorant and self-righteous...", and watches the children walk away. With everyone around him gone, the gentleman takes a small flask from his cloak, and sips heavily from it. He is mildly aware that he's had a number of drinks already today, but the drink keeps him happy, and sometimes gives him the patience to deal with those who condemn before understanding. The unpleasantness already fading from his mind, he takes out his dagger and attempts to balance it on the end of his finger. He'd nearly kept it vertical for eleven seconds before the roar of the crowd made him lose his concentration.

"Perhaps a place more quiet," he muttered to himself. "and perhaps one with a full bar..." A servant girl walks by with a tray of edibles to hand out to the crowd. "I'd like to sample one of those..." Efstratios said, not even bothering to see what the young lady was carrying. He takes one last swig from his flask, and whistles towards the young children. When they look over, he slips his dagger between his teeth, and does a handstand. The children oooh and ahh, and begin clapping.

The gentleman walks on his hands down the center aisle, down each step, until he reaches the bottom. With a flourish, he does a cartwheel and lands on his feet, and sets his dagger back in the hilt. Then he tosses each of the children a denarius and as they bend over to pick them up, they notice he has disappeared entirely. The spectators are too busy watching the races to notice.

Privateerkev
05-31-2008, 04:46
Evening was finally beginning to fall. Vissarionas had wandered off to look at something or other and Makedonios was still sitting in his seat. He noticed a man far off walking on his hands down stairs.

He signaled for someone to bring him more tea. When the lady came over, she let a letter drop from the bottom of the tray where she had been holding it. The letter fell to Makedonios's lap and he smoothly moved his cape to cover it.

Sipping his mint tea, he opened the letter and read it. Slipping the letter into his tunic, Makedonios got up, carried his tea cup in a saucer, and left the noble box.

Csargo
05-31-2008, 08:28
Philippos enters the Hippodrome, and signals to one of servants to bring him some tea, then takes a seat, alone. He sits staring at the ground, and seems to be deep in thought.

A serving lady approaches Philippos, but he doesn't notice her. After a few moments she speaks, "...Sir, your tea." Phillippos, startled, looks up and takes the tea then nods for the servant to leave. He takes a sip of the tea and again seems to drift off into thought.

_Tristan_
05-31-2008, 08:57
Methodios Tagaris walks in the nobles' boxes of the Hippodrome. A giant of a man (he easily is taller by a foot than the tallest of the men around him), a dark tan gained from long hours in the sun, piercing blue eyes and blond hair that reveal some Norman blood in his ancestry, he is wearing a simple white sleeveless tunic, barely fit for a Senator, a dark purple cape clasped on his shoulders by two fibulae in the shapes of two-headed eagles.

Walking to the rail overlooking the racetrack, he spots a race official and barks.

"Nikodemos !! Old brother !!!"

The official turns around, a baffled look on his face. He then sees who called his name and his face lightens up. The two men embraces, like long-lost brothers and engage in an animated conversation.

Tagaris is seen showing the poster announcing the coming race and the official nodding at several points.

Finally, the official leads Tagaris away and down to the track where the latter bows down to the sand, taking a fistful of it, smelling it before letting sift slowly between his fingers.

Seemingly content with this inspection, Tagaris and the man Nikodemos head back to the boxes where selecting an unoccupied stall they sit down and order some spiced wine.

They engage in a lively conversation, the gestures made by the two men an indication to any on-lookers that they must be reliving some past battles.

Ramses II CP
05-31-2008, 16:25
On hearing his Grandmaster's response about the dwarf and mention of the quantity of books owned by the Order of St. John Vissarionas becomes lost in thought, and with a bow and muttered excuses wanders off to see more of the stadium, and to consider the fact that he is rooting for a midget to win a chariot race.

During his meandering he witnesses with uncomplicated delight some of the tricks performed by Efstratios Monomachos, and catches bits of the various sayings of the other nobles. There is a childish quality in his gaze, and a touch of desperation in the way he struggles to uphold a noble bearing. After having walked most of the length of the stadium Vissarionas has begun to sweat, and unthinkingly he removes his cap to wipe his face, briefly revealing a wide and hideously unpleasant scar which covers the crown of his head, where no hair grows.

Realizing after a moment what he's done, perhaps from the gasp of a nearby child, Vissarionas furtively tugs the cap back onto his head and appears to tuck into himself, drawing in his shoulders and neck. Glancing around to see if any of the older men noticed he walks quickly to an exit and uncerimoniously departs.

Andres
05-31-2008, 21:44
Savvas ek Militou walked into the hippodrome. All of the sudden he stood still and looked around him, a stupid grin on his face.

He waited for a servant to bring him some more wine. Before he went to his seat, he hesitated and almost fell on his knees. After he found his balance back, he stumbled further.

"Sir, your wine!", the servant said to him, feeling a bit uncomfortable in the presence of the drunk nobleman.

"I almost forgot! Yes, more wine! Hahaha!", Savvas said and he stroke the servant over his head and shoulders while taking the goblet. When he tried to kiss the young man, the servant gave him a disgusted look and pushed Savvas away.

"Hey you!" Savvas yelled. "Who do you think you are!"

He tried to hit the servant but stumbled and fell on his knees, spilling some of his wine on the garments from another nobleman of lesser birth.

An older servant discretely carried the drunk Savvas to his seat, apologising for his behaviour to the distressed nobleman. Murmuring something about those damn peasants being allowed in the noble box, Savvas slowly fell asleep, spilling the rest of his wine over his fancy garments.

Ferret
05-31-2008, 21:53
OOC:sorry can't read that post, my vision is too blurred from the huge and offensive red blob beneath it :clown:

TheFlax
06-01-2008, 09:01
Sometime before the race starts, Anna Komnenos makes an appearance in the Kathisma, wearing a formal attire. She wears a dark embroidered and jewel-trimmed camisia under a light-colored short tunica, also heavily embroidered and jeweled. The ensemble is completed by an elaborate belt with decorative panels.

With a bored look on her face, she scans the crowd before fixating her gaze on the sky. It is obvious to any casual observer that she holds little interest in the races and that it is entirely possible she is not here of her own volition. A moment later, she is already lost in her thoughts, her mind wandering amongst the clouds.

Ramses II CP
06-01-2008, 15:44
Appearing well rested and once more in full possession of himself, Vissarionas returns to the Hippodrome with a somewhat more dignified entrance than his previous one. When the swarm of merchants, smelling an easy mark, begin to congregate Vissarionas simply draws out his ragged red flag with blue piping and waves it at them mock menancingly, as though it were a sword. All of them retreat, some laughing, some grumbling, and most simply indifferent.

That matter dealt with, Vissarionas gazes around for an appropriate place to sit. His uncertainty is more palpable now, and his unfamiliarity with the environs of the Hippodrome causes him to pause a touch too long. A roughly dressed peasant stumbles out of the crowd and bumps into Vissarionas none too gently, while at the same time a child uses a tiny, curved blade to slice away the noble's purse from behind.

It's over in an instant, but Vissarionas has the instincts of a soldier and the reflexes of a healthy sixteen year old. Allowing himself to move along with the impact of the larger peasant Vissarionas is swept around in place, taking the child by the forearm with his left hand before the scamp can escape and hooking his right arm under the stumbler's left while slipping his leg into the peasant's path. The result sees Vissarionas spin around wildly and drop his crude flag, but the peasant smashes to the paving stones with a bone jarring impact, while the child is suspended well off his feet in Vissarionas' grip.

A glance at the moaning 'bump' man is enough to dismiss him as a threat, and a quick scan and glare, along with moving his right hand to his dagger, backs off the tough looking pair of reinforcements that were moving in to aid their downed mates. Meanwhile the child has been struggling to reverse the curved knife so that it could be used against the arm suspending him in the air, but his efforts are so frantic that he ends by dropping the little blade. A whimper of fear escapes him, drawing Vissarionas' attention.

Lowering the boy until he can walk on his own, Vissarionas nonetheless does not release him and draws him along to a nearby set of box seats. Smiling widely now he sets the child down in a seat and releases his forearm, while saying,

'Now then, that was a sharp move back there! You've got good hands. Tell me, do those chaps share the coins with you?'

Perhaps it's the foolish cap, or just the nobleman's wide open face, or perhaps even the simple fact that Vissarionas hasn't asked for his purse back, but the boy can suddenly smell opportunity in this exchange. He struggles visibly to calm himself, and replies,

'M'lord, please, have pity! Let me go! They forced me! I'm not a thief, I just got no other way to eat! If I do as they say they buy me a bit of food now and again.'

'A bit of food, for such dangerous work and skilled little hands? You're getting a worse deal than I myself did when I first came to this place,' Vissarionas smiles companionably and quickly relates the story of his purchase of that silly flag lying on the stones a few paces away.

'You see the stadium can be a dangerous place for a man alone. I am a stranger to this city and I can see that readily. What's your name?'

'They call me Rafi m'lord.'

A look of true delight crosses Vissarionas' face, 'After the Archangel Raphael the healer? Why, how wonderful, you have a blessed name my boy. I suspect our encounter may have been the will of God Rafi.'

'I have a favor to ask you.'

Grinning in a conspiratorial manner Vissarionas gestures back to the flag, 'If I walk back over there the merchants will swarm again. Fetch me my flag and I'll buy you any food you wish from the cart merchants. Don't mind those thugs who told you to steal, they will not bother you. I give you my word on that point as a sergeant in the Order of St. John!'

Before the boy can answer Vissarionas moves out of the way so that he can exit the seat box if he wishes. Confusion, pity, concern, and fear war in the child's features, but with a measuring look at the nobleman the boy rises slowly and walks carefully to the flag. The 'bump' man from earlier has dragged himself away, but the pair of toughs are still in the shadows, and one of them advances to hiss,

'Fool! You've still got his bloody purse! Come here!'

Vissarionas cannot hear what the thug has said, but he can see the man well enough. Standing back at the box he simply looks at the thief, the honest, straightforward look of a battle tested soldier in which even the hardest street man could see his own death written as surely as a sunrise. Holding his gaze Vissarionas lifts his hand and points down the length of the stadium, then suddenly brings his hands together in a loud clap. The muscle man jerks like he's been slapped, and walks away hastily, hunching into himself.

Rafi has stood halfway between the two, mutely witnessing the contest of wills. When he heard the purse mentioned his hand snuck down to ensure it was still secured inside his crude garmet. The purse felt heavy and full, seemingly belying Vissarionas' relatively simple noble garb. The boy was torn. If he fled, he would not be able to keep the coins; someone bigger would find him and take them no matter where he hid, but if he went back to the nobleman the street people would no longer accept him either. Word would spread that he had broken the unspoken code of the street. His life hung in the balance.

Looking down Rafi can see his curved cutpurse's blade lying beside the red flag, where he'd dropped it trying to cut his way free from Vissarionas. It was a good tool, and using it skillfully filled Rafi with pride, but he knew the sole purpose of the blade was evil. The ill made absurdity of the flag lying beside the neat little knife argued for staying with the evil he knew rather than risking the nobleman's aid. Glancing back he can see Vissarionas, who now wears a faint, patient smile. The naive noble and his laughable cap promised better things, but promises could easily be lies. Still unable to make up his mind, Rafi falls back on his oldest memories of his mother, whose advice was always the same; 'God knows the answers Rafi. If you can't find them, pray and he will guide you.'

Rafi's kneels and closes his eyes, reaching his hand out blindly, but keeping his eyes closed only briefly because to keep them shut too long on the street could be deadly. When his eyes open again the flag lies directly in front of him, already nearly under his hand. Without a second thought Rafi takes it, stands, and returns to Vissarionas' side.

'Your flag m'lord! I believe the race is about to start, do you need someone to place a bet for you?'

Here Rafi removes the purse from his shirt and holds it out for Vissarionas to take along with the flag.

With a gentle shrug Vissarionas takes the flag and replies, 'Betting is forbidden to members of the Order of St. John. Open the purse Rafi, and see what your haul would have been.'

With an irresistable curiosity overtaking him Rafi undoes the knot and spills a few of the objects within into his hand. A dozen or so smooth, flat stones, the sort you might see on the riverbank, spill into his palm. Stunned the boy turns them over and over in his hand, catching the sunlight on bits of sand still encrusting the rocks.

With an apologetic grin Vissarionas says, 'A trick my father taught me, meant to impress merchants into giving a better deal in the hopes of gaining further business. Works a little too well I'd say.'

The two boys laugh together entirely without reserve, drawing odd glances from passersby. Eventually Vissarionas recovers, and attempts to assume a more serious mein.

'I need your help Rafi. I'm new to town, here for the first time to join in the great debate in the Senate, but already the city has taken advantage of me and made me look a fool in the eyes of my master. I need someone who knows the area, knows the lay of the land. Someone who can run messages for me, and warn me about problems I can't see coming.'

'Will you do that for me? I can promise you regular meals, a place to sleep, and my personal protection. I will speak to the master of my order about possibly securing you a tabard or sigil of the Order and making you an official messenger, but for now if anyone should seek to bar your way tell them Strator Vissarionas ek Lesvou is your patron.'

Rafi's eyes have widened considerably, and when Vissarionas finishes he blinks a few times as though to clear his head. With a clearly audible muttered prayer, Rafi says,

'An honor m'lord! Anything you need!'

Vissarionas' pleasure is obvious, 'Excellent! Now, the first thing I need is someone to explain these chariot races to me. Start with the red team's charioteer. What on earth possessed a man who can barely see over a horse to become a racer?'

TinCow
06-01-2008, 20:27
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/c/c6/Ben-Hur_chariot_race.jpg

Citizens and Senators, take your seats, for the race is about to begin!

The four teams of two-horse chariots have made their way to the starting gates.

For the Blue Team, Constans Kaspax!
For the Red Team, Longinius Nicerite!
For the Green Team, Falkon Xerus!
For the White Team, Phocas Dandalo!

The Starter has raised the flag, he is waiting, waiting... AND THEY'RE OFF!

First out of the gates, charging hard, is the Blue chariot, no surprise there, but he is followed very close behind by the young Phocas Dandalo, who is whipping his horses hard right out of the gate. Woe to the Greens, for the mighty Falkon Xerus has botched the opening and is bringing up the rear, behind short Longinuius!

Blue and White are charging equally hard on this opening lap, but neither can gain an edge over the other. Meanwhile, Falkon Xerus is pushing hard on the outside of the red chariot, in an attempt to make up for his horrible start... and... and... HE'S PASSED! Falkon Xerus has moved the Green Team up into third place, and is within striking distance of his faction-mate in the white chariot.

They're turning into the second lap now, and... wait, what is this?! Phocas Dandalo, the youth, is overtaking Constans Kaspax! It's a close pass... a close one... just barely avoiding a collision. I think the horses even nipped at each other on that pass! In any case, the white chariot now leads the race, and Falkon Xeres is again pushing hard, trying to secure the top two spots for the Green Faction!

As they move into lap three, Constans Kaspax is fighting back! Yes, he's pushing against the leader, Dandalo, who is whipping his horses with no remorse! They're running like the devil's behind them, and with that much whipping, maybe he is! But Kaspax is faster! Yes! Yes! Here he comes, Kaspax is overtaking Dandalo! He's nearly passed, no wait, they're too close! THEY'VE COLLIDED! BLUE AND WHITE HAVE COLLIDED! Kaspax has reigned his horses back, leaving Dandalo in the lead, and it appears his chariot has broken a spoke! That left wheel is wobbling greatly, he's lucky it hasn't come off altogether! That is a severe blow for the Blue Team, such damage will make the race very difficult for the Blue Team.

But wait, what is this?! Kaspax has no fear, no fear at all! He's deep into the fourth lap with a broken spoke and yet he's charging again! Not even a rest for his horses! AND HE'S PASSED! CONSTANS KASPAX HAS RETAKEN THE LEAD! This is amazing, citizens, after taking such damage on the last lap... God must truly be with the Blue Team! What's this in the back?! It cannot be! The dwarf, Longinius, is moving up on Falkon Xerus himself. Xerus is back in last place! What a disappointment for the Green faction! Such a poor performance for the primary Green driver.

Rounding the bend into the fifth lap, Dandalo is still whipping his horses like there's no tomorrow! And perhaps there won't be for him, because their strength appears to be fading. Longinius himself is moving up on the white chariot and HE'S PASSED! The white team horses are flagging greatly, Xerus is taking his chance on his tiring faction mate, as well! White is back into last place and the Blue Faction has first and second! What a performance from the unexpected Nicerite!

The short man is looking about himself, he realizes his good position and must be as surprised as the rest of us! He's swerving a bit, losing his nerve perhaps, but Falkon Xerus can't seem to get past him. No, he's been blocked! Red continues to hold second place, and Constans Kaspax is extending his lead!

Turning into the final lap now, it's down to a battle for second and third. The blue chariot has broken away from the pack and has surely won the race, while the white chariot's horses are barely even running anymore, so tired are they from the excessive whipping of young Dandalo! But the middle is not yet resolved... Nicerite is still holding off Xerus, keeping the top two spots for the Blue Faciton, but Xerus isn't having any of it! He's moving hard! They're almost to the finish line, but green is breaking wide left! 100 yards left, and they're nose to nose! It's so close I can't tell which is in front... they're almost to the... XERUS IS PAST! The race is over! Falkon Xerus snatched second place at the last possible moment, giving the Green Faction a bit of satisfaction in an otherwise horrendous race.

In first place, for the Blue Faction and Blue Team, Constans Kaspax!
In second place, for the Green Faction and Green Team, Falkon Xerus!
In third place, for the Blue Faction and Red Team, Longinius Nicerite!
In last place, for the Green Faction and White Team, Phocas Dandalo!

That was a race to be proud of for the Blues. Constans Kaspax performed splendidly! Right out from the beginning, and bold moves to retain the lead. Even with a damaged left wheel, he still held on for the victory. Little Nicerite should be proud as well, overtaking as he did both of the Green Faction chariots during the course of the race, and fending off the veteran Xerus greatly aided the lead charioteer, Kaspax.

Byblos
06-01-2008, 20:52
Tarasios Sarantinos rises and formally applauds the race before departing.

Ramses II CP
06-01-2008, 21:00
Vissarionas and Rafi depart together after the race, having greatly and obviously enjoyed themselves while consuming sweet dates. The bond between them is already quite strong. Unbeknownest to either their exit is watched by a hooded man standing in the shadows, who follows the exuberant pair out at a careful distance.

TheFlax
06-01-2008, 21:38
Having hardly watched the race at all, Anna Komnenos takes her leave as soon as the thunderous applause signals there is a winner.

flyd
06-01-2008, 22:36
Markianos Ampelas has now gone completely insane. He is no longer sitting in his chair. He is no longer even standing upon it as he did through much of the race. He is now jumping up and down in it. He roars at the top of his voice, sometimes shouting praise for the blue team, obscenities at the green team, sometimes laughing, sometimes making sounds akin more to a wild animal than to a human, and sometimes thanking Jesus, Mary, and every Saint he can name for granting this glory to the blue team. His enthusiasm does not erode with time and as people file out of the hippodrome. He gives hugs to every obvious blue supporter that passes, and hugs and kisses to every cute servant girl. He will likely be the last to leave.

Cecil XIX
06-01-2008, 22:40
Armatos enters the Hippodrome, eager to check out this magnifient facility. So sooner has he entered then he is mobbed by a dozen pickpockets. Despite his best efforts, by the time they are gone his money is missing. Armatos quickly leaves with a scowl on his face.

Andres
06-02-2008, 08:43
The noise of the cheering crowd woke up Savvas.

He felt terrible and quietly left the Hippodrome.

Askthepizzaguy
06-04-2008, 01:56
Tarasios Sarantinos and Eftsratios Monomachos enter the Hippodrome after the crowd has begun to disperse.

"So, Tarasios, this is your first time in the Hippodrome, I take it? There's no reason to be afraid. Basically it's just a big building with chariot races. The crowd is almost gone."

-"But mister Monomachos, I could hear the race from a mile away and the crowds are just so loud! It makes me tremble!" said the boy in a cracking voice.

"Stay by me, lad. There's nothing to fear. It's important that you go out and see the world instead of remain at home. There's so much you're missing out on... races, gladiator matches, festivals, auctions down at the marketplace, dances.... girls..."

-"Girls make me nervous, sir!"

"Yes, well they used to make me nervous as well. But I eventually got over that and became a real ladies' man. I could tell you stories, my lad, about all the adventures I've had with women. During the wars, I would happen upon many a widow who needed the comforting hand of a strong, virile man."

-"Gosh, that sounds exciting. A little too exciting if you ask me!"

As they near the lowest rows, one of the horses makes a loud whinnying sound and gallops a bit too close to the stands. Tarasios jumps at the sudden fright.

"Calm down my lad, the horses can't hurt you. In order to become a man, you must open your mind to trying new things. That's why I've taken you to this place; to expand your horizons."

-"I know, but large powerful animals make me nervous. And crowds. And big buildings. And loud noises."

"That will pass in time, my boy. If you're ever going to become the lady-killer that I am, you'll need to take your dates out for a good time. They won't like it if you shy away from the exciting places. Have you ever courted a young lady, lad?"

-"Yes, once. But it didn't go well."

"I see... what went wrong?"

-"She tried to kiss me and I panicked. I ran off into the woods and got lost. Now I am afraid of trees, too."

Efstratios sighed and shook his head, laughing at the whole situation. He cared about the youth, because he served with his father on the front lines until that fateful day when he was killed by the lawless criminals who rebelled against the Empire. Watching his best friend die at the hands of political idealists was the hardest moment of his life, and so he vowed to keep an eye on his friend's son. The poor lad grew up with his mother and she was a bit overprotective of him. Now he was frightened of the world.

"In time, you will get over your fears, son. Just stick with me and I'll show you what it means to be a man."

Efstratios gave the youth's shoulder a good hearty slap, which caused him to jump. Efstratios felt bad, but also laughed at the sight.

Then he looked up to the upper levels and saw... something incredible.

An image of beauty.... so unlike any he had ever seen before. She was an angel, radiant and warm, dressed in the finest royal fabrics, and she carried herself with the grace and poise of royalty. She was perfectly proportioned with flawless skin and beautiful eyes. Her hair, long and flowing, shimmered in the sunlight.

Efstratios stopped dead in his tracks, and his jaw dropped. Tarasios Sarantios turned around to see his friend staring up at the Royal booth, eyes locked in a trance.

"What's wrong, Heff?" said the lad, referring to Efstratios' nickname.

"HEFF???"

Efstratios' look of awe turns to sadness as the angel leaves the booth, apparently disinterested in remaining now that the race is over. His face reveals his indescribable desire for this woman... what was her name? He had to know who this angel was. He immediately turned around and headed for the entrance of the Hippodrome to try to catch up with her.

Tarasios whimpered and chased after him, afraid to be left alone in such a frightening place.

Askthepizzaguy
06-05-2008, 17:34
Efstratios exited the Hippodrome but he recalled that the kathisma is linked directly to the Royal Palace, and it seemed unlikely that he would be able to catch the charming woman of royalty he spotted earlier.

Tarasios was only now beginning to catch up.

-"Ef.... Efstratios! Wait! You just ditched me back there!" huffed the young man, who was out of breath.

"Sorry, my young friend.... but I've never seen a woman that extraordinary before. When a woman like that comes along, it strengthens my faith in God that he is omnipresent and merciful, and an unbelievable craftsman. Such an equisite angel can only be the creation of the Lord God. The hand of man will never create anything so fantastic."

-"You left me alone in a loud place filled with wild horses and strange men and awful food! I was so scared!" the young man said in a trembling voice.

"She is a goddess, Tarasios... she could make an army of men march straight off a cliff into the ocean if she would just command it. She is radiant, beautiful, delicate, and oh so feminine!"

-"Women like that intimidate me! I'm scared!" said Tarasios.

"God must be testing me, my young friend, to present before me such an elusive beauty... I must have her, Taras. I won't be able to go on with my life until I meet this extraordinary woman. I can't get her out of my mind... she is just so... so..." Efstratios could no longer find the words, he was overcome by the most powerful love he had ever felt.

-"Snap out of it, Heff! You're starting to scare me! Aren't you listening to me at all???"

"I know what I must do. I must sneak inside the Royal Palace. We are going to need supplies. Rope, grappling hooks, poisoned darts to put the palace guards to sleep, we will need to steal their armour and locate the master key."

-"HEFF!!! I don't want to sneak into the Palace! It's too dangerous! I'm frightened!!!"

"Once we are inside the main hall, we can sneak into the library, where we can find a list of all the current residents of the Palace. Surely her name must be on the list, and if we can just narrow down where she's staying then perhaps maybe I can call out to her from below her balcony, and sing to her and recite a poem... no, a sonnet! I will need a lute. And I'm going to need far more exquisite clothing. Tarasios, it will be your task to 'borrow' some fine linens for me to wear from the greatest clothing merchant in the city. Then, we will need to collect some flowers... no, hundreds of them..."

Tarasios slapped Efstratios in the face

"What?"

-"Get a grip on yourself, Heff! I can't go stealing expensive clothing from the merchants at the Great Market! And you're a Senator, for the love of Christ, you can't be caught sneaking into the Royal Palace or you could be executed for trespassing and high treason!"

Efstratios winked at the young man. "I never said I'd get caught, my lad."

AussieGiant
06-06-2008, 00:47
The young Saracen Officer was taking coffee with his uncle just outside the Hippodrome, both men savouring the strong aroma in the afternoon sun.

"Uncle, all I've heard from men leaving the Hippodrome is this lady called Anna Komenus. Her name seems to be on the lips of every man in this city. Is she somehow significant beyond all others?"

The spray of hot coffee that shot though his uncles nose was enough to illicit a slightly confused look from the normally composed youth. After some moments drying himself off his uncle was composed enough to finally reply.

"Indeed Apionnas, she is rather more significant that most women. She is the daughter of our Basileus. That's the equivalent of a Sultan from your perspective boy...whoever gains her hand in marriage will be part of the royal family and will hold a significant amount of influence. The fact that she is an exquisite creature and a woman of breeding simply adds to her charms."

Putting down his coffee the young man leaned back in his chair and gazed over his uncles shoulder.

Turning finally at what was distracting his young nephew, the uncle saw immediately what the commotion on the steps of the Hippodrome was.

There serenely walking down the steps was Anna Komenus herself surrounded by a number of men and guards.

"That's her my boy, in all her glory."

"Indeed uncle, that does seem to be her. I'll agree she is pretty but has no man seen the harem of the Egyptian Sultan? I'd wager she wouldn't even be considered marriage material if it was just her looks that were to be considered.

She must have many skills over and above what I can see."

The young man raised an amused eyebrow as his uncle's second cup of coffee sprayed itself onto an adjacent table.

The attending waiter could only look on in horror as chaos erupted all around him.

flyd
06-06-2008, 02:34
A tall, dark-haired man in plain clothes stands near by, reading the results of the previous race.

TheFlax
06-09-2008, 02:29
Some time later...

The Kathisma had been empty since the last race and since another one was not expected soon it was suprising to see Anna drift into view. She seemed out of place and confused, her hair loose and wearing informal clothing. Her soft pink tunica had three-quarter-lenght sleeves and was decorated with bands of beaded embroidery at the neckline and the upper arm. She also had a light blue woolen stole drapped over her shoulder, one end wrapped around the waist to form a girdle. Her head was simply adorned with a slim golden band.

Anna looked around the Kathisma, obviously searching for something. Her face was starting to show hints of irritation when she swiftly turned around, as if something had caught her attention. Slowly she backed herself to the railing of the Kathisma, following her a man came into view, dressed in plain servant's clothing. Closing the distance between them, the man raised a dagger. For a moment, the scene froze as both Anna and the man stared at each other.

Before he could strike, something bowled him over, knocking him into the Princess. Only a burly men in a red tunica got up. Issuing a call, he was soon joined by other men, apparently part of the varangian guard. Their presence soon blocked the view of any onlooker, and little could be seen as they carried the Princess and her would be killer away. Both were limp and sullied in blood, but it was nearly impossible to say who's blood it was.

This event can be seen from Anna's perspective in the stories thread.

pevergreen
06-30-2008, 09:12
Michail enters the Hippodrome, and seeing it almost deserted apart from the few drunks that had no place to sleep, Michail ventures forth to the most sober person he can see around.

"Dear friend, may I enquire as to the time of the next race? This used to be such a lively lot."

The man points out he is the Co-Ordinator of this Hippodrome.

"I dont know, Senator" guessing rank by the clothes, the man continues "My benefactor has recently gone missing so I find myself without funding to hold another race. My children will soon be starving."

"It's Comes actually," Michail corrects, "but we cant have your children starving. I detest poverty. I'm born into a lower class such as yourself, but you can make a name for yourself dear friend. Now, I shall see what I can do about this lack of a benefactor. If I find anything, I shall send my man George back down here. Good Den."

Michail exits the Hippodrome, but spying a hat he likes, takes it off the drunkard and continues on his way, only glancing over his shoulder to see if anyone saw the theft.

TinCow
06-30-2008, 19:30

Citizens and Senators! Men and Women! Old and Young! The wheels are oiled, the horses are restless, and the charioteers need to get paid! That’s right, it’s racing time!

To commemorate the election of the new Megas Logothetes, who ever that unlucky fellow may be, you are all invited to witness the spectacle, the glory, and possibly, the tragedy, of a grand four horse chariot race this Wednesday, July 2nd.

The Blue Faction will be trying to follow up their glorious victory in the last race. Leading the dominant Blue Team, as always is the ever popular Constans Kaspax! His bravery and daring in the last race are still matched only his honor and virtue. Never was a charioteer a better role model for all men, high and low. We expect much from the great Kaspax and he will surely not disappoint!

The Blue Faction’s Red Team returns being led by the surprising Longinius Nicerite. This man may be short in stature, but not in skill! In his debut race, he gave the mighty Green Team a serious scare. Since then his fans have affectionately dubbed him Caesarus Minimus! Let’s hope this nickname is enough to counteract his continuing tendency to perform poorly in the closing laps.

For the Green Faction, Falkon Xerus will once again be leading the Green Team. The last race was a great disappointment for this renowned racer, and he is out for to prove himself worthy of being his Faction’s primary charioteer. Will his string of bad luck continue or will he finally manage to regain the triumphs that he became famous for so many years ago? The Fates themselves may have to conspire against him, if they are hope to stop his mighty chariot, Bellisarus!

The Green Faction’s White Team has gone through great turmoil since Phocas Dandalo’s total failure in his first race. The young man had such great promises that many prominent Greens bet heavily on him. It seems that his total rout caused something of an uproar amongst the men who had previously backed the Whites. Indeed, the old owner himself has gone bankrupt and has been bought out by Senator Michail Arianitis, son of a wealthy merchant and the head of the House of the Tepaki! Under the young Senator’s leadership, Dandalo was sacked and is rumored to be working a galley between Smyrna and Rhodes. In his place, Arianitis has managed to recruit an incredible protégé…

Citizens and Senators, it is my sincere pleasure to introduce you to Magnentius Ferro! The scion of a wealthy merchant family himself, this young man spent years studying in the finest academies in Greece. Yet, instead of commerce, he has devoted his keen mind toward the art of chariot racing! Such a talented man has rarely been seen in any arena in the world. Like Dandalo, he has a tendency to drive his team hard. However, he is not the reckless brute that his predecessor was, indeed he is exceedingly cautious while overtaking and has never once suffered a collision. At the same time, he has mastered the reigns and is rumored to be as strong a starter as the great Constans Kaspax! With his vigorous whipping of the horses he will be a formidable contender in the opening laps. Yet, all is not brute force and strength for this young man. No! Much of his education was devoted to the study of ethics and morality. He is an honest man through and through, and takes great care to congratulate his opponents. Indeed, Magnentius Ferro is such a talented youth that success seems almost certain for him.

Yet, as we all know, anything can happen in the Hippodrome. The only things that are certain are that there will be excitement, surprises, danger, and, most of all, GLORY! Come one, come all, to the Hippodrome on Wednesday, July 2nd to witness this magnificent spectacle!

TinCow
07-02-2008, 15:38

Take your seats! Take your seats! The wondrous spectacle of the Hippodrome is once again about to unfold before your very eyes. The world is envious of you, oh great citizens of Constantinople, for you are about to witness the greatest form of entertainment in the known world!

The horses are in the starting gates, and they are raring to go. Crowded in, four-abreast, they are anxious to give the race of their lives. Give three cheers for your favorite charioteers!

For the Green Team, Falkon Xerus!
For the White Team, Magnentius Ferro!

The Starter is waiting for approval from the Kathisma… and he has it! The signal has been given AND THE RACE IS ON!

And what a start it is! They are so close, it’s almost a maelstrom on the opening stretch… it’s impossible to see who has taken the lead! Blue, Red, and White are all jumbled together, trying to break out, with only Falkon Xerus falling behind the pack. But wait, no, Constans Kaspax, the veteran has pulled into a clear lead and it seems… Yes! Magnentius Ferro has managed to outmaneuver the Red Dwarf for the second spot!

And he’s not stopping! No, ladies and gentlemen, Magnentius Ferro, in his first race in the Hippodrome, is charging hard for the lead on the opening lap! What skill, what vigor! I have never seen its equal! AND HE’S PASSED! Magnentius Ferro has taken the lead with a swift, clean attack that did not even risk a collision! And what is this?! Constans Kaspax is in a vulnerable spot after the pass, and the Red Dwarf is exploiting it! Yes, Longinius Nicerite has followed Ferro through the gap and into second place! Both secondary teams are leading the race, what an unexpected start!

Never before, ladies and gentlemen, never before have I seen such a fire in the secondary teams. This is an incredible spectacle! In first and second, White and Red continue to battle for the lead. Little Nicerite knows his late-race weakness and he is obviously trying to compensate for it now, because he is still charging hard. Ferro is whipping as hard as he can, be cannot fend off this blazing bolt coming at him! Nicerite is past! The Red Dwarf leads the race!

Into the third lap now, and the primary teams are not giving up by any means. Falkon Xerus has been struggling to recover from that horrendous start, and old Kaspax is in his way! Not for long, it seems. Xerus, is pushing on his Blue counterpart, a wide swing around to the right… Kaspax sees it and moves to block and… NO! Xerus swerves back and dives close into Kaspax’s left, passing him with barely a hand’s breath to spare between the axles! What a move! A well deserved third place advancement for the Pride of the Green Faction, and within striking distance of the freshman Ferro.

At the mid-point in the race, the new charioteer is beginning to lose some of his steam… his movements look far less comfortable than they did at the beginning and his horses are looking fatigued from their early, strenuous efforts. It seems the White Team got their color by whipping their horses until they had no more blood left in their bodies! Xerus is pushing hard on the flagging Ferro… yes, it looks like… NO, from behind! Xerus is so taken with pushing on Ferro that he hasn’t seen Kaspax coming for him! The Blue charioteer is not content with last place and he’s determined not to be there for long! And he’s passed! Constans Kaspax has regained third place, right behind the junior Blue Faction charioteer! What an error by Xerus, an embarrassment really. He was so caught up in his own advancement that he ignored the threat completely.

Kaspax is determined to move into the top two spots as well! No third place for a great racer like him… but Ferro sees him. Much wiser, this neophyte is, than his elder counterpart. Kaspax is driving hard and he’s maneauvering to pass Ferro. Ferro has nowhere to go! He’s blocked by the tiny Nicerite who is making his chariot huge! Kaspax will surely overtake him now. Yes, and he’s… IMPOSSIBLE! Ferro has escaped! He’s avoided Kaspax’s attack by overtaking Nicerite! That was one of the mot incredible moves I have ever seen! He was boxed in by Red, being charged Blue, and his horses were visibly flagging, yet he dodged to the right and put on a burst of speed like I have never seen before! What a natural racer this man is!

As they round into the sixth lap, Kaspax is hot in pursuit of his quarry! Nicerite is barely even a bother to him as he relentlessly pursues the White chariot. Yes! The Red Dwarf is shrinking back to his old size, perhaps frightened by the visage of his senior charioteer to the rear. And Kaspax has moved into second! He’s done it! Blue is following White at the front and what a battle it is!

This is it, ladies and gentlemen! The last lap and Kaspax and Ferro are going at it with all they’ve got! The White horses look like they’re about to drop dead, they’ve been driven so hard! Only his driving skill is keeping Kaspax behind him and at this rate he won’t be able to do it for… THE RED DWARF RETURNS! Nicerite is a brave little bastard indeed! Kaspax is so focused on victory that he’s completely ignored the Red Team behind him! Nicerite passes easily on the left! What a feat for a man has difficulty in the late laps! Kaspax is irate! Look at him! Oh my, you can bet those are less than chivalrous words coming out of his mouth now! And his anger is going to cost him! Falkon Xerus is taking the same path as the Pocket Rocket! He’s coming up on Kaspax’s left and there’s nothing in his way! Kaspax is going to be shut into last place and… OH THE FATES! Falkon Xerus has hit a rock and swerved heavily! He had third place secured easily, but the jolt has nearly overturned his chariot and he’s struggling just to keep it on course!

And that’s it! The race is over and the new White Team charioteer has won!

In first place, for the Green Faction and White Team, Magnentius Ferro!
In second place, for the Blue Faction and Red Team, Longinius Nicerite!
In third place, for the Blue Faction and Blue Team, Constans Kaspax!
In last place, for the Green Faction and Green Team, Falkon Xerus!

What an amazing turn of events, spectators. Such a brilliant performance has rarely been seen from a new charioteer. Magnentius Ferro has exceeded all expectations. Senator Michail Arianitis must be very pleased with his protégé. And great applause is also due to the Red Dwarf himself, Longinius Nicerite! What a performance for the little man and a very well deserved second place. The Blue Faction should be very pleased to have such a strong and unexpected performance from their secondary team. At the same time, this has been a bitterly disappointing race for supporters of the primary teams. Constans Kaspax put in a very good effort, but was simply out-raced by the lesser teams. Falkon Xerus should be embarrassed to show his face after today’s performance. He’s becoming more well known for his current failures and bad luck than for his past glories which are now quickly fading behind a curse of ineptitude.

pevergreen
07-02-2008, 16:15
Throughout the race Michail had been watching his racer closely. When he won, Michail jumps to his feet with a whoop and rushes down to congratulate Magnentius.

flyd
07-02-2008, 19:23
A scribe known to be employed by the Office of the Megas Logothetes has been watching the race closely and taking notes. As soon as it was over, he quickly left the Hippodrome.

Ibn-Khaldun
07-04-2008, 20:23
Hippodrome was empty ...

Only some birds were flying around ...

Efstathios sat on a seat near the racing track and looked at the ground.

"I am Senator," he said.

"I am finally a Senator," he said with a little bit louder.

"Now is the time to pay back to all those who have hurt our family!"

"Venetians, Turks, Egyptians, Normans - One day very soon they ALL will get their lesson not to mess with us!" he said with an anger in his voice.

He raised his head and you could see the determination in his eyes ..

He rose from his seat and started to walk towards the gate.

"Soon! Very soon!" he said quietly to himself while exiting the hippodrome..

GeneralHankerchief
07-17-2008, 00:52
Upon entering the Hippodrome, the following message is noticed by all, or at least, all those who are literate:

Be careful at whom you direct your ire at, Basileus. As the Patriarch is the Representative of the Lord here on Earth, the man you have just banned from the Magnaura is the Representative of the Patriarch.

pevergreen
07-17-2008, 07:55
Having read these words, although missing the throwing out/banning part of this obviously interesting debate Michail laughs to himself at the uppity attitude of this representative. Michail is getting impatient for another Chariot Race. Michail fancies taking a bet up on his team this time.

Andres
07-17-2008, 09:41
Kristophoros, Savvas' loyal bodyguard, heard the words of the Patriarchal representative and quickly left the Hippodrome, knowing that his master would certainly be interested in this public display of rivalry between the Patriarch and the Basileus.

Askthepizzaguy
07-18-2008, 02:02
Efstratios Monomachos is seen in the hippodrome, gazing past the races... looking up at that balcony. He seems to be remembering something from several years ago.

He walks out of the hippodrome, never to return.

pevergreen
07-24-2008, 11:44
The next morning, Michail rises early, moving for the first time in years, with a purpose. The Magnaura that had only finished a few weeks ago still seemed fresh in his mind.

Michail take up his pen and puts it to parchment:

"Let it be known throughout the Empire that the Tepaki are a House for Hire. By commandment of Lord Efstratios, The Ασημένιο ΓΕΡΑΚΙ shall function as meceneries until notified otherwise. In times without employment, the Ασημένιο ΓΕΡΑΚΙ shall follow their own orders."

Michail pins this notice directly over the Patriachs, quite enjoying himself as he does so.

Just before exiting, a muttering of "Slimy bugger got a holiday, should be organising races, not have a party." is heard.

Ramses II CP
08-17-2008, 04:01
A crowd gathers on the steps of the Hippodrome seemingly at random, but a curious look of determination and fervency can be seen sprinkled through the men of the group. Though there has been no announcement a ripple of anticipation runs through the crowd, and voices rise and swell discussing the day's news. At last a white haired man emerges from a group to one side and ascends to a small landing. As he clears his throat a hush grows, until in his immediate vicinity a pin could be heard to drop.

My Countrymen, it is well to see so many of you attend! Today I will again speak of...

The Society of Secret Muslims and their Brotherhood of Friends!

Alas my fellow citizens it is a dark day for the Empire. A black cloud hangs over the city, and passersby speak of strange events. On my way here I was told that a plague of toads fell from the skies over Nicaea, and strange illnesses afflicted the gate wards at the great western gate of our own fair city. Tidings and imports of great concern, truly!

The speaker pauses here to shake his head in sadness, and many in the crowd gaze warily at the clouds overhead. Breathing deeply and visibly gathering his will, the man at last carries on with his speech.

Weep for the Empire on this day, good sirs, for on this day the Secret Muslims and their allies have won a great and terrible victory. They won it not on the battlefield, where the courage of noble Orthodox soldiers stands uncontested. Nor on the seas, where our fleets dominate the trade lanes. No, today they worked their hideous will in our very Senate chamber!

Again the speaker pauses, and again he hangs his head and looks to the side. A murmur runs through the crowd, but before it can swell his voice rises once more, though it yet conveys weariness.

You will recall, will you not, that my sad duty before was to inform your noble selves that none other than Caesar Ioannis was one of the serpents in the darkest Order of Secret Muslims? You will recall, will you not, that I begged you to take note of his disgusting habit of rubbing his crescent tattoo beneath his foul garmets? You will recall, will you not, that I warned he marched to pour poison into the ears of our senators, of our very Emperor?

A third time there is a pause, but this time the speaker holds the crowd's gaze, and every man can read in his eyes what his thoughts are; not of sadness but of anger.

So it has come to pass! I have learned that today, just before the close of the Senate session, the Emperor himself proposed an edict all but exiling the pious Patriarch of Constantinople to the as yet unconquered city of Alexandria, best known as the final resting place of Crusader Kosmas Mavrozomis. Let me read you the text of this new law:

Edict 4.5: Patriarch Nicholas III will be transferred to the newly recreated Patriarchate of Alexandria. (The remainder of the text is omitted, whether by calculation or because of insuffucient information it is impossible to tell)

I ask you, good Romans, whose ends could this serve but those of the Secret Brotherhood? I ask you, to whose benefit will this work, if not those cowardly Muslims sneaking amongst us spreading their filth and disease? Without our Patriarch they will have a free hand to spew lies on every corner, and the weakest among us will follow that snake, the Caesar, into iniquity! I ask you, yes, you, venerable parishoners of Orthodoxy, would you have God's voice cast out of your city and exiled to a miserable Fatamid hole?

The speaker's eyes have widened, and his voice has quickened, so that the close of his speech is delivered in a rush of passionately spoke words, and most of the crowd is carried along with him.

The Emperor, may God shelter and guide him, has been misled. Out of love for his wayward son he has proposed an unjust law, but it is not the way of Romans to stand aside and let injustice pass over them! Make your voices heard, make your will known, make your Patriarch safe in this, his holy city!

So says,

Isaeus the Truthspeaker

OOC: Not quite as roly-poly as the first one, but the idea of using the Hippodrome got into my head so I had to put something out there. :laugh4:

Ibn-Khaldun
08-17-2008, 08:30
Efstathios walked passes the Hippodrome and when hearing the speech he stops to listen it..
After the speech is over he says with a loud voice to himself..

The Patriarch is going to Egypt?? What a surprise!! He smiles..
I hope he gets there in one piece. It would be most unfortunate if something would happen to him. Efstathios started to chuckle..
I hope my vote in the Magnaura helps to get him there! But perhaps after I have left from Alexandria!
Efstathios starts to laugh and leaves from the Hippodrome..

pevergreen
08-17-2008, 11:51
Michail walks through the Hippodrome, testing the point of his dagger on this thumb.
"I really am going to have to kill that man one day."

After looking wistfully in the direction of the actual racing arena, Michail leaves.

Ramses II CP
08-27-2008, 16:16
On the wide stone steps leading up to the Hippodrome a man begins to speak. His voice is not the loudest in the area, for an event has just been completed within and there are many conversations ongoing as people exit. He has no retinue present to draw attention, and it is apparent that his speech was not prepared ahead of time. Even with all of that a group gathers around him to hear his words, and not long into his speech men are shushing one another at the edges of the crowd to listen.

Brothers, sisters, Romans!

A dark cloud forebodes along the horizon! Black acts and dark deeds hidden in the night threaten the very fabric of Rome! Brothers please, turn to me with your ears and your mind, for I must warn you of a terrible peril. I alone can carry news of the coming disaster, of the plague which will be spread by the pox laden hands of...

A suitably dramatic pause draws much attention to the speaker.

...The Society of Secret Muslims and their Brotherhood of Friends!

Oh it is a terrible day for the Empire! Mourn for the coming cataclysm! Weep for the lives that will fall under the reaper's scythe!

It is true, quite true, that there have been victories. Alexandria was taken for the Empire, yes, and Cairo may already have fallen as well. The Crusaders have carried the word of God and the swords of truth against the infidel, and done well!

It is also true, quite true, that the Grandmaster of the Order and his noble knights have once against crushed a jihad army by killing it's leader. Yes, indeed, for the third time the ill equipped armies of the pious Order have been favored by God to destroy a jihad!

Alas, it is also true, quite true, that a jihad army is even now in range to threaten Constantinople! That same army which has, from the start, been sponsored by a man high in the Council of Secret Muslims. The very same man who watched that army march past him and raised no hand to oppose it.

Caesar Ioannis Komnenos!

That snake, creeping through the confidences of the Emperor, who misled our noble leader into exiling the Patriarch of our great city. That beast who ever plots harm for good Orthodox citizens and unceasingly strips soldiers from the front for his own power mad games. That vile, iniquitious dog licking at the heels of his true Saracen masters!

The poor Emperor, blind with trust for his undeservedly beloved son, cannot see that his boy coordinates this assault for his own convenience. Cannot see that the only possible way the jihad army could know exactly how far to march to prevent the Emperor from being able to ride out and oppose them was to have had the Caesar himself tell them the range! He cannot even see that the Caesar plots insurrection and bloody vengeance!

God preserve the Emperor, who, despite his failing health and greatly advanced age, shows at least the courage to seek battle with the enemy! Alas, he does not see that his son sent these infidel dogs to slaughter his own father, cannot see that the Caesar even now plans to join forces with them when they lay siege to Constantinople itself! Pity the Emperor who so loves his misbegotten child that he must look past that boy's desperate struggles to destroy all he worked for, all he accomplished!

My good fellows, my great friends, I speak here today at great risk to my own life only to say that you must be wary. Watch most carefully for the days to come, and do not let your faith flag no matter what ill acts the Secret Muslims may perform! A hero has arisen, I say, a hero who can set things right and strike down the snakes.

Look to the east, Romans, for your salvation. Out of the sun over the sea shall he come! Watch for his coming, praise his name, for at his side God and Patriarch ride to preserve the Empire and cast down the infidel!

So says,

Isaeus the Truthspeaker

By the end of his speech there are hundreds listening, and word of mouth carries his tale to many ears in many cities of the Empire. Always there are those who disparage his words and mock him, and always there are those who believe him entirely, but few indeed are those who shrug off the story without comment.

TinCow
09-06-2008, 19:41

People of Byzantium! Prepare yourselves for the greatest race ever to grace the most magnificent arena in the entire known world!

This is not just a race, it is a trial! A determination of honor and right, as decided upon by the wisest man to ever rule the Roman people. All hail Basileus Aleksios Komnenos!

The most just and righteous Emperor has decreed that the feud between Methodios Tagaris and Nikiphoros Manouelitis will be settled in the Old Style. One race, with both Senators selection teams to champion their positions. The winner will gain not only the honor of a victory in the Hippodrome, but complete, undisputed ownership over the entire city of Scopia! Truly an amazing award for whoever is victorious.

The Basileus has himself decreed that the chariot teams be divided up into pairs by Methodios Tagaris, with Nikiphoros Manouelitis selecting which of the teams he wishes to take first. These Senators are advised to note that while it is possible to place your faith in a mixed pair, the notorious and centuries-old rivalry between the Blue Faction and the Green Faction will not die easily. Mixed teams may result in intense competition between supposedly 'friendly' charioteers!

The Blue Faction will once again have its dominant Blue team lead by Constans Kaspax. His last performance was not very good, but he remains the most experienced driver amongst the Blues. Rumors have it that his recent loss has caused him to redouble his training, and he is now pursuing a new tactic of going easy on his horses in the opening laps. Such a bold move may pay off, as his strong starting skills could well compensate for the less vigorous driving in the early laps, and towards the end of the race his horses will surely have more energy than his opponents.

The Red Team has long been the minor Blue Faction team, but under Longinius Nicerite it has once again gained fame and repute in its own right. His incredible performance in the last race, and his ability to shake off his reputation as a poorly trained dwarf have some men whispering that he has the luck of the Old Gods on his side. While such rumors are blatantly heretical, there is no doubt that Short Longinius is not a man to be counted out in any race!

There has been a great shake-up in the Green Faction. After his stunning victory in his first race in the Hippodrome, Magnentius Ferro has been given control of the primary Green Team chariot! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Senator Michail Arianitis's protégé is now the master of the Greens! His intelligence and skill is now well-known, but was his victory just a fluke? Can the newest charioteer replicate his performance, or will he go down in flames as a one-win-wonder? We will find out soon enough!

The Green Faction's White Team is now in complete disarray! It is now on it's third charioteer in three races. Falkon Xerus, the former primary charioteer for the Greens has been demoted and the disgrace is surely complete for this most famous of men. Some say that he is a broken man and has reached the end of his career, and that his depression has even hurt his skills, making him weak off of the start. Still, the mighty chariot Bellisarus is his and his alone, and perhaps this once great charioteer can regain some of his now long-lost glories. Anything can happen here in the Hippodrome!

So, ladies and gentlemen, citizens and Senators, do not miss the most exciting race to have ever graced this mighty arena! We wait now for the Senators to make their choices. First, Methodios Tagaris must divide the charioteers up into two teams, then Nikiphoros Manouelitis must select which of these teams he wishes to be his champions. When this is completed, the most magnificent and glorious Basileus, Aleksios Komnenos, will himself address the crowd and signal for the start of the race! Do not miss it, or you will bring shame and disgrace on your family for all eternity!

_Tristan_
09-06-2008, 21:58
Methodios enters the Hippodrome. He can be seen in hushed conversation with one of the Hippodrome officials, though nobody can get near enough to hear anything said between the two men. Some minutes later, Varangians stand apart to admit Methodios to the Kathisma.

Bowing to the Basileos, Methodios walks forward to stand at the edge of the box. Resting his hands on the railing, he loudly makes an announcement.

"People of the Empire, you are here to witness the trial of a dispute between Senator Manouelitis and myself over the ownership of Scopia.

By the rules set by our most revered Emperor, I am the one to choose how teams are to be composed.

I am known to be an iconoclast, someone who breaks rules, who stands apart from the pack...

People of Rome, I will not fail you...

I have chosen to split the ancestral factions...

The prominent teams of Blues and Greens will be associated, with the "secondary" teams of Reds and Whites running together.

I hope this will offer us the great event you all have been expected.

May the best man win."

With a bow to the Basileos, Methodios leaves the Kathisma and is seen mingling among the crowds.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-06-2008, 22:55
Theo walks in to the Hippodrome and looks around to find a seat for himself. It's been a long time since there was a race and people are coming from all over the Empire to be witness this event. And Theo is no different. Finally he manages to get through crowed and heads towards private seats. Seeing one open he takes a seat and opens his bottle of wine.

This will be interesting. No matter who wins. If not then I'll propose an Edict that says "All Senators must wear toga and have to race every year". Cheers!

Laughing over his Edict to come Theo takes a sip from his bottle.

Warmaster Horus
09-07-2008, 11:06
Nikiphoros, who had gone to the Hippodrome immediately after hearing the Basileus proclaim the race, had been immersed in scrolls and parchment, all of which were in relation to the performances and odds of the four teams. He'd gone down to see the horses, meet the trainers, meet the racers. He'd spoken to professionals, to people who brought home food thanks to their betting. Finally, a few sycophants dedicated to one team had shouted loudly in his ear to support the good one. He'd had a headache for some time, too.
Eventually, he realised there was no way for him to adequately judge the teams. He'd spoken to the pros, but everyone had a different opinion. The trainers and racers were obviously biased, and the bookmakers too. Tiring of this, Nikiphoros went to the Kathisma. The Guard moved to let him enter, and he made his announcement:

"People of Constantinople...

When I heard Senator Tagaris had chosen to sack Alexandria, to break the laws, to kill thousands of people, I was outraged. When I realized the rest of the Senate was not going to act, I was incensed. This is why I connived to bring Tagaris to justice. My conduct has brought us here, and my conduct was fuelled by one thing: the desire to avenge the poor people of Alexandria, those who'd once been part of our Empire, those who'd been mistreated by the Egyptians, those who'd adhered to the Muslim faith by obligation.

People of the Empire...

By standing up for the people of Alexandria, I stood up for those no one else would. I stood up for the underdog, so to speak. This is why I will choose to take the Reds and Whites. One is rumored to be lead by a pagan, the other team has not been successful of late...
But I will let them stand up for justice!

I could have taken the easy way out, I could have given Tagaris what he wanted. But I did not!
Here too, I could take the easy way out. I could have chosen the more popular charioteers. But I will not!
I place my faith and that of the people of Alexandria in the Reds and the Whites.

May the best teams win..."

Finally leaving the Kathisma, Nikiphoros goes to a Hippodrome official, and says:
"Sir, it is done. I will support the Reds and the Whites, and Tagaris will have the Blues and the Greens."

Smowz
09-07-2008, 17:58
Nevoulas ek Philadelphias is unaccustomed to such events - however he simply could not afford to miss out on such a spectacle. His opinion of both men was very much in the balance, on one side was the legendary scoundrel himself Methodios and on the other side was the sneaky proud Nikiphoras.

Both men had stood up for what they believed and the unorthodox way of sorting this out had caught the imagination of the empire. Indeed Nevoulas was now gathered with well respected peoples from both his province in the Balkans and indeed from newly inherited Markinople. Where better to start to discuss matters of state then at this grand affair.

Nevoulas looks down on the track and notices the two combatants talking to their respected choices for the race. There are many people dashing about, Nevoulas peers closer to look around at the scene he sees representatives from all over the empire, pale skins, dark skins and even the odd Turkish descendent.

Nevoulas looks over at one dressed in Seljuk design- he was sure he recoginized the all to familiar features. He rises and is about to rush down and confront his long lost relative when Trumpets blaze around and a roar echoes around the arena.

Nevoulas loses sight of the man and feels one of his guests tug at his robe.

'Nevoulas why the long face come enjoy some of the Belgradian wine'

Nevoulas grimaces ... horse pee would taste better he thinks, still he had to be polite and gulps some down, forgetting his moment.

OverKnight
09-07-2008, 22:38
Aleksios enters the Kathisma. He acknowledges the crowd and then raises his hands for quiet.

The teams have been decided and Scopia hangs in the balance.

The Basileus raises a piece of white silk.

May God grant victory to the worthy party in this dispute.

He drops the silk, it flutters away in the breeze, signalling the start of the race.

TinCow
09-07-2008, 22:45
OOC: The race will be run tomorrow afternoon, EST.

pevergreen
09-08-2008, 10:41
Michail enters the Hippodrome, eager to watch his newly promoted racer give him victory. A glint hardens in his eye as he moves down to talk to his racer.

TinCow
09-08-2008, 15:18

This is it, Citizens of Constantinople! The Main Event! The Greatest Race of your lifetime! Two teams of mixed loyalties, vying for the greatest prize ever awarded in the history of the Hippodrome. Never before have Blues and Greens run together as partners, and you can certainly bet that this alliance is in name only. Teammates will surely fight against each other, and tensions are high! It is my sincere pleasure to introduce to you the glorious racers!

For the Green Team, Magnentius Ferro!
For the White Team, Falkon Xerus!

What is this? Senator Michail Arianitis is approaching the starting gates. Yes, he’s walking forward to talk to his own racer, Magnificent Magnentius Ferro of the Green Team. Well, well, something is certainly going on between sponsor and charioteer! It looks like, OH! Magnentius Ferro has struck Michail Arianitis in the face! What in the world is going on down there?! The young Ferro is now extremely angry! Oh, my, but that was a rude gesture. Michail Arianitis is now yelling and pointing at his charioteer, and Ferro is absolutely fuming! The Senator is walking away now, but his driver is visibly upset! What in the world was that all about?

Ignoring these dramatics, the Starter is looking up at the Kathisma, waiting for the signal from the Basileus. And there it is, a piece of white silk floating on the breeze! The starter pulls the gate lever AND OFF THEY GO!

As they jostle out of the gates, the strength of the Factions’ primary teams is clearly shown. The superior quality horses and extra training have put both Blue and Green Teams into the lead! Yes, Constans Kaspax puts himself into an excellent position at the front of the pack, with his erstwhile rival Magnentius Ferro right behind him. Falkon Xerus manages to outmaneuver Short Longinius for third, but that is a mere formality for this race as it is truly the primary teams competing against the secondaries! Methodios Tagaris must be very pleased with this opening performance! What was Nikiphoros Manouelitis thinking when he selected the vastly inferior pairing of Reds and Whites?!

As they move into the first lap, already these temporary alliances are flaring! Look at Magnentius Ferro go! By all that is Holy! I have never seen a chariot move that fast in my entire life, and I’ve seen over a thousand races in this arena alone! Constans Kaspax looked like he was standing still, and Ferro is now has a dominating lead over his ‘teammate.’ That young man has truly earned his nickname as Magnificent Magnentius! That was the most incredible pass in the history of the Hippodrome!

Constans Kaspax is not beaten, though! As they round the bend into the second lap, the Blue chariot is charging hard! Kaspax is known as a strong starter and we’re seeing it right here! He’s coming up on Ferro’s right side, and it looks like he’s going through! Yes, he’s… wait! Ferro is whipping Kaspax! This is completely out of character for a driver who is known to value honesty and fair-play in his racing! He must have been ordered to do this by Senator Michail Arianitis! There’s no other possible explanation for this behavior! Kaspax is shaking it off, however. He’s a tough one, that man, he’s taken a few lashings, but he’s still pulling past… but they’re close! Too close! WATCH OUT! NO! Kaspax and Ferro have collided! There must have been blood in Kaspax’s eyes from the whipping, because he just careened into the Green chariot! Oh dear, but the Blue Team has suffered from that one! He’s slowing considerably. Yes, his left wheel is wobbling and the left-sided horse is favoring his foreleg! This is a disaster for noble Kaspax!

Into lap three now, and the secondary teams are taking advantage of this horrible collision! It’s amazing that Kaspax is still attempting to race, as his chariot is damaged and one of his horses is clearly injured! It will be a miracle if he just finishes the race now! And there go Xerus and Nicerite, streaming past the mortally wounded Blue Team. What a huge blow for Kaspax. He is surely out of the running now!

Ferro’s despicable whipping and that unfortunate collision now have him a clear lead over the pack in the fourth lap. He has driven his horses hard though, and they are beginning to tire a bit. His fellow Green Faction driver, Falkon Xerus is making up some of the ground, and the Greens now dominate the race. Yet we must remember that they are actually racing each other now! Xerus and Ferro, allies by habit, but not by law on this day!

Yes! Xerus is showing some of his old self once again! He’s taking advantage of the flagging Green chariot horses and he’s driving his own team well! He’s coming up on the left of Ferro and looks like he will easily move by on this fifth lap. Yes, he’s through and… what was that? It looks like Xerus has hit a rock in the track and the jolt has caused his chariot to swerve badly, almost overturning! He’s got control of it now and he’s stable once again, but that has completely ruined what was sure to be a move that would’ve put him in the lead. Xerus is truly cursed! Such a shame to see a famous racer like him undone by pure bad luck yet again.

They’re rounding the bend into the sixth lap, and Xerus still is not back up to speed after hitting that rock. Short Longinius is coming up behind him! This is an impressive move for a man who is known to be a weak finisher! Yes, he’s going right by Xerus! That’s either brilliant driving by the dwarf or incredible incompetence by Falkon Xerus, but either way the Red chariot is now in second place, right behind Magnentius Ferro.

And this is it, citizens of Constintinople! The last lap, with the fate of Scopia hanging in the balance. Magnentius Ferro leads as he has done almost the entire race! He’s been in dominating form, though there is bound to be a great deal of anger over his blatant cheating in a race of this importance! It’s not quite over though, as the Green horses are now very tired from Magnentius’ hard driving, and Short Longinius is right behind him. Watch out, little man, or you’ll get a face full of whip! He’s a brave one, that’s for sure, as he’s driving right by Ferro. Ferro’s doing nothing! He’s definitely not letting up on the speed, but neither is he attempting to block the pass nor is he whipping his foe in any way! This makes no sense at all! Of all the chariots on the track, Nicerite’s Red is the only one that is a true opponent no matter how he looks at it. Nicerite is past! Red has taken the lead! AND IT’S OVER! The Red Team under Longinius Nicerite has won the race!

The fate of Scopia is decided, and Nikiphoros Manouelitis has prevailed! What’s this? This can’t be right, can it? Oh, my. The humiliation of famous Xerus is now complete! It seems that somehow on the last lap, Kaspax managed to overtake him! With an injured horse and a damaged chariot, the Blue charioteer still managed to overtake the former pride of the Green Faction. Oh, how the mighty have fallen here in the Hippodrome.

In first place, for the Blue Faction and Red Team, Longinius Nicerite!
In second place, for the Green Faction and Green Team, Magnentius Ferro!
In third place, for the Blue Faction and Blue Team, Constans Kaspax!
In last place, for the Green Faction and White Team, Falkon Xerus!

I am almost speechless after that race! But almost isn’t good enough to shut me up! HAH! This was a race that will be remembered for ages! What a dramatic turn. I don’t even want to imagine how Magnentius Ferro is going to confront his sponsor after this one! What could Senator Arianitis have said to him to make such an honest man cheat like that? I suspect that we haven’t heard the end of that story. But let’s not forget to give a ‘little’ glory to the impressive Longinius Nicerite. While Ferro certainly didn’t contest that last pass, Nicerite earned that first place in his own right! An excellent race from a man who has been greatly underestimated these past years. He was last out of the gate, and yet he finished first! That’s the second race in a row that he has bested Kaspax, and I suspect that we may see a change in the primary and secondary drivers of the Blue Faction in the future. What a pity about Falkon Xerus, though. He is truly a broken man. For such a famous racer to finish fourth in two consecutive races is horrendous, especially when it was his own bad luck that kept him out of first place! Xerus should have retired long ago, but I suspect he is done now. Ladies and gentlemen, give a round of applause for Falkon Xerus. His glory days are long since past, but he deserves some applause for the entertainment he gave us in his youth. Cheer him now, as he will surely never be seen in the Hippodrome ever again!

_Tristan_
09-08-2008, 15:54
As the news reach the people gathered at the Hippodrome, many turn to face the Kathisma. What they see is a grim-faced Tagaris being allowed in by the varangians. Kneeling in front of the raised dais, he exchanges a few word with the Basileos who motions to stand and come nearer.

They are seen walking out of the Kathismas together.

Ibn-Khaldun
09-08-2008, 16:33
Theo mumbles something..

Good race...

And continues to sleep with his jaws wide open...

Warmaster Horus
09-08-2008, 19:33
Nikiphoros, who'd been in the stands watching the race, runs down to the stables, no doubt to congratulate Longinius Nicerite.

OverKnight
09-09-2008, 13:57
The Basileus stands in the Kathisma and speaks.

An entertaining race, but one marked with deceit and cheating. Senator Michail Arianitis has sullied the Hippodrome by ordering his driver Magnentius Ferro to whip a fellow driver and temporary team mate, ensuring both would lose. While it seems Senator Manouelitis had no part in this, I have no choice but to invalidate the results.

The issue of Scopia is still in doubt, it will be resolved later.

Smowz
09-18-2008, 18:15
The crowds are gathered once more, before the races they are greeted with a special presentation.

Racing into the centre of the ring are the bodyguards and colours of the House of Asteri, a few recognize the would be Megas Nevoulas ek Philadelphius in the middle of the bunch clutching a stake with a bag bouncing on the back of his horse.

Reaching the centre the nobleman climbs up a make shift podium and announces:

People of Constantinople, I greet you. My name is Nevoulas ek Philadelphius, lord of Markinople and Belgrade. I know that some of you may not know of me, but believe me I have Roman blood pumping through my viens as much as the rest of you.

The crowd mocks Nevoulas at this pandering. Nevoulas expecting this smiles broadly.

You are correct to doubt, even now you have the enemy at the gates, what can an unknown senator do for you eh?

With that Nevoulas lifts the stake an smacks it into the ground with a force reaches into the bad carried in on his horse and reveals a decapitated head.

The crowd gasps....

I present you the Sheikh Malik al-Hussian leader of the Fatamid Jihad, killed at the hand of the Asteri.

Soon I will present you with the head of the Moorish Jihad pounding against this walls.

For the GLORY OF ROME.

The crowd roars in approvement, as Nevoulas rams the head onto the spike, mounts his horse and rides back out of the hippodrome.

Ramses II CP
10-18-2008, 16:16
The Hippodrome was a noisy, busy place. With the Senate in session every imaginable huckster had crawled out of the woodwork to try to drum up some business, and it seemed like all of them were praising their own goods at top volume. Wandering through with some care Stephen, loyal retainer of Vissarionas ek Lesvou, sought some place from which he could give a decent speech. It wasn't easy, there were stalls set up all over the place, even a few crudely constructed ones taking up space on the stairs. At last, in frustration, Stephen quietly hired on some street kids and gave them clear instructions, then climbed up on a nearby pedestal which held an especially ugly statue of an ancient racer.

From an alley one of the young men rushed out into the crowd with a streak of red running down his face, grasping in faux desperation at the shirts and clothes of passersby, 'and probably harvesting a few purses on the side,' thought Stephen. Reaching a position below Stephen he let out an amazingly loud screech, and cried, "Save me!"

Four more boys now raced out of the same alley and siezed him, prompting the victim to wail once more, "Someone save me from the Brotherhood! Protect me from the Muslims!"

The boys holding the little screamer, having attracted considerable attention from the locals, began to hoist him over their heads, but Stephen leapt down among them exactly as they'd been told to expect and they scattered. Drawing his cavalry saber Stephen brandished it at the nearest boy and said in a loud, heroic voice,

"Who sent you to carry out this dark deed child! Answer and you may yet be saved!"

The boy who had been singled out silently mouthed his line before trying a response with his voice, but the crowd watching Stephen's show hardly seemed to notice. At last he stuttered out,

"It was the Brotherhood of Secret Muslims Lord! Please Lord, take pity, they've got my Mom!"

"You need not fear my wrath, but I cannot allow you to take this child. Go now in peace and pray for God to forgive you and preserve your mother. Aid the infidel no longer boy," Stephen added in a warning tone, before thinking, 'don't let them drift off now!'

As the four boys fade away back into the alley two of them turn back and yell out, "Allar-abkar!"

'Close enough,' Stephen thinks, and then jumping back up to his perch he addresses the crowd quickly, before it can fully disperse.

"Friends, Romans, Byzantines! Hear me! There is a black threat striding our streets so openly that it no longer even hides it's evil acts! The Secret Brotherhood of Muslims, having stolen away the throne of the Empire, now abducts good Orthodox boys from our very streets for their nefarious purposes! Oh what fell fate has befallen the heirs of Rome that they do not even question the presence of a Secret Muslim on the seat of Aleksios the Bold!"

It was a calculated risk to simply resume where Isaeus left off, assuming that there would be some among them who remembered his speeches, but it would add to the cache of the speech as well. Those few who did remember could strut their knowledge before their fellows, making a sort of bragging point of it.

"Open your eyes citizens of the greatest city of the world! Does not strike you strange that the infidels, who continually attacked our Empire during the reign of Aleksios and even lay siege to this very city, have now withdrawn? Is it not strange that their armies, which once moved through our lands like they were their own, no longer threaten the core of Byzantium? Is it not worthy of note that only the false Emperor's opponents, the Order of St. John, still face assault from the vile hordes of Islam?"

"It is because they have won already! Our Empire sits peacefully under their control. Oh some few great men, some heroic few, carry on the war to destroy the enemy's distant outposts, but while the battles continue at the fringe the war itself is nearly lost here at home! Who will speak against the false Emperor? Who will reveal that an avowed Muslim heads his Privy Council! An avowed Muslim who has been granted title to a Byzantine city itself!"

Stephen notes that the buzz has reached it's pitch around him, carry on too long, explain too much, and that buzz will evaporate. Better to leave them asking questions, so he makes a subtle gesture with his hand at his side which causes two large men, dressed in an approximation of a royal guardsman's dress that would not pass any close inspection, emerge on the edge of the crowd carrying pikes.

"And that is not all noble fellows, this false Emperor, this fake King, gathers ever more power to his side. Word has come to me just today that he is plotting..."

On cue the fake soldiers raise their voices together, "Silence dog! In the name of the Emperor, take that man!"

The startled crowd turns to look at the men at the edge. Stephen cries, "God preserve me! I must flee, but hold my words close to your heart good men of Rome and be wary!" So saying Stephen leaps down from his perch once more and races for the same alley the boys vanished into previously.

The two men dressed as guards batter a way through the edge of the crowd roughly, unecessarily, slowing their path and painfully pushing aside as many people as possible. At last, as Stephen has clearly gotten away and the guards race off after him, one of them yells, "In the name of Allah, stop!"

Zim
02-19-2009, 01:04
It seemed as if few Senators attended the Hippodrome races anymore, although the common people continued to fill the stadiums. That streak would change this day, however, as the Megas himself, Arintheos Voutoumatis arrive. Trailing behind him were what appeared to be a Latin knight and a grizzled looking soldier, both known to have formerly been in the employ of the Basileus Ioannis I. The three of them sat down, all but the knight ordering a glass of wine. There seems to be an air of expectancy about them, although why is uncertain. There is no race today...

woad&fangs
02-19-2009, 01:37
Andronikos stands atop a raised platform in the middle of the Hippodrome. A large crowd has gathered in the stands, having heard by word of mouth that Andronikos Komnenos is about to deliver a speech. Their curiosity is even further stirred by the veteran soldiers ringing the speaker's stand and patrolling the nearby streets. All of whom wear a dark green cloak over their armor. Andronikos raises his hands for silence and proceeds with his announcement

Citizens of Constantinople! Heirs to the Roman legacy! Beware the false Basileus with the serpent’s tongue. He is no ruler. He is no noble. He is no Methodious.

One is either born a king or born to become one through conquest. Methodious achieved the latter, if but only for a day. His son achieved neither. While I marched ‘cross towering mountains, fought ‘side blood-stained rivers, slept on cold and lonesome ground; the boy sat and polished his fathers armor.

During my campaigns I met a wise monk atop a mountain. He spoke to me of power, and of the divine rights of kings. He spoke words which all wise men shall agree with. He said, “It is not the task of the king to follow the crown, but the task of the crown to follow the king”. The Empire goes where its ruler goes and I return now to the east. In the east I shall abide and there too shall the Empire stand.

Let all those who look upon me from this day forward, bow their heads and say, “There stands Andronikos! Ruler of Pontus and Armenia! True Basileus of the Byzantines!”

OOC: Andronikos Komnenos Secedes from the Byzantine Empire. Tbilisi will be his capitol. I believe that the contiguous holdings of me and my vassals are Baku, Tbilisi, Yerevan, Amina(formerly Dyarbakir), Trebizond, and Sinop.

ULC
02-19-2009, 19:45
Sergios quickly walks up the same platform as Andronikos, a look of grave determination upon his face and deep enmity. However, instead of acknowledging Andronikos, he turns to the crowd and spreads his arms before breaking into speech.

"FRIENDS! ROMANS! FELLOW COUNTRYMEN! Brothers in arms, honourable men who are loyal to their people, their glorious leader, and to the ideals of justice, honour, and freedom!"

"Here we stand at a crossroad of life. There are selfish, greedy, and powerful dark forces on the rise against the legitimate leader of the Empire! This selfish, traitorous man seeks that which he does not rightly deserve, and did not rightly earn!"

"Kousinos Sophianos, who deserted the holy lands and let the Levant go to ruin, now seeks to ruin the entire Roman way of life! He is a traitor and an outlaw, one who seeks power through illegal and non-traditional ways. We Romans are a proud people, the only TRULY civilized nation on earth, and this barbarian scum wants to rule over all of us and send us to our deaths, tearing from our families our lands, titles, wealth, property, and livelihoods, and remake the empire in his own image."

"He claims that he will bring back the Era of greatness of Aleksios Komenos, who held the Empire together and brought strength from unity! But the coward has done nothing but bring us strife and cause more and more territories to rebel, and not even to his cause!" Sergios takes an moment to glibly gesture to Andronikos with a steely gaze, before turning back to the crowd. "His opportunism and greed spread like a plague to all corners of the Empire, and it is up to us, good citizens of the Roman Empire, to halt this cancer before it consumes us all!"

"This is a most grave time for the Roman people. We have stood as a beacon of civilization for over a millennium. This foul creature will not be the next leader of the empire so long as I draw breath. There is no time to stand on the sidelines, now is our moment when we must strike at the very heart of the enemies of the empire. The Venetians and Turks can wait, and unless our empire is whole, we are vulnerable."

"WE MUST STAND UNITED AGAINST TYRANNY AND DIVISION! Can you honestly say our Emperor is a tyrant, who wishes to gain power through despicable means? Has he tried to divide us, make us weak, in a lust for power while we have enemies beating down upon our gates? No! He wishes to lead us to greatness, as has his entire family before him. Now this... stunted slimeball... seeks to destroy all that we have made together. It is you, good citizens and soldiers of the Empire, you who have laid the stones that created this Empire, it was you who bring out the greatness! Yet this man Kousinos seeks to claim the throne, and take away what you worked for! Will you stand for that?!"

"The time for speeches and debates is over. Now we must defend the Roman empire, together, as brothers in arms, seeking justice. IF WE DO NOT CRUSH THIS REBELLION NOW, IT WILL BE THE END OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE!!!"

"A wise man known as Efstratios Monomachos said that Romans fighting against Romans would lead to our downfall. He is most prophetic, for now we are seeing his prediction come to pass. But it does not have to be so, and I will not let that stand!"

"JOIN ME in supporting the LEGITIMATE RULER OF THE EMPIRE, and I am certain the rewards will be greater than you can imagine, and you will have your honor intact. You will have the gratitude of your fellow countrymen, of the Empire itself, and that of the Basileus!"

"I trust my honorable brothers more than I trust rebels and outlaws who want to steal an empire instead of build one themselves. Let us now sally forth and AND FIGHT IN THE NAME OF THE EMPIRE!!!"

Coop with ATPG :wink:

Redemption
02-20-2009, 01:45
Avgoustinos Cavasilis had come to the Hyppodrome to get away from all the politicking going on in the streets of Constantinople. With the Empire falling apart, every senator and faction trying to grab a piece of it to call their own, the races had been generally abandoned by the upper classes and it seemed as good a place as any to free one's mind from the pointless backstabbing and bickering that had become all too common. Little did he imagine when he absent-mindedly sat down at his usual seat that he was giving himself a front-row view to more of the same nonsense.

An Empire in Armenia! That was a good one. Backwater place if ever there was one.

And the capital, Great Constantinopolis itself was now part of it's own little despotate. Ironic.

Pfeh! Time to travel a bit. See if opportunities arise. But before, let's take care of some business.

Calling a scribe, Avgoustinos orders a brief message be sent and read before the new senate in Jerusalem.

woad&fangs
02-20-2009, 03:39
Sergios, as much as I loath that pauper you bow before, I believe we are in agreement about Kousinos Sophianos. If he desired only the throne, I would be content to laugh him off as a drunken fool. However, he has besmirched the good reputation of my sister and for that he shall pay penance. I challenge him and his lackey to battle outside of Adana. I am more than willing to test my generalship against theirs. I believe they will find commanding an army to be very different from murdering noble senators in the night.

sorry Zim:sweatdrop: A friend started a game of scrabble with me so I didn't have time to come up with a good pompous verbal beat down.

Cecil XIX
02-20-2009, 04:17
Two spectators pass by. One remarks to the other.

Perhaps the Prince is unaware that the Marshall of St. John has forbid fighting in the Order's lands...

Zim
02-20-2009, 07:28
A man sitting to watch the races can't help but overhear the spectators.

I suppose they could meet just past the borders of Adana's province. But then, with the way Erotikos and Kousinos ran off from a confrontation at Constantinople I guess they'd just flee again.

~;p

Cecil XIX
03-12-2009, 12:25
A hired speaker arrives in the Hippodrome to deliver an announcment.

"Lords of the Roman Empire, unite behind your true Basileos! I, Constantine Ksanthopoulos, declare my candidacy for Megas Logothetes!"

Zim
03-12-2009, 19:41
A very tired looking Voutoumatis steps into the Hippodrome. Throwing Sophianos' messenger a bemused glance he makes a beeline for the nearest spot wine is served, downing a glass and ordering another.

TinCow
04-29-2009, 13:55
Since the game is wrapping up, I thought I'd post my system for figuring out chariot races. As with all rule systems I write in the Throne Room, I consider this 'open source' and anyone can use it for anything they want. Formating is a bit off, since it was written in Word, but it looks legibile to me. Feel free to ask if you have any questions on how this works.

Chariot Racing Odds

Blue Faction: Blue Team (Primary), Red Team (Secondary)
Green Faction: Green Team (Primary), White Team (Secondary)
7 laps per race
All rolls are on a d6, unless noted otherwise

Race Events:
Order out of the Starting Gate:
• Order based on highest roll. Primary Teams get +1 to their rolls. Secondary Teams get -1 to their rolls. Ties roll again.

Odds of Overtaking chariot immediately in front on Each Lap:
• Primary Teams: 5 or 6
• Secondary Teams: 6
• Leading chariot does not roll.
• If overtaking is successful, roll for possible collision between chariots. Collision occurs on a 1 between hostile teams. Collisions occur on a 0 between friendly teams.

Effects of Collision:
1. On 1, overtaking chariot loses a wheel and is out of the race; roll a second time, if 1 or 2 is rolled, overtaking charioteer is killed.
2. On 2, the overtaking chariot is damaged or a horse is injured; overtaking is aborted and all future overtaking rolls require +1.
3. On 3, the overtaking chariot is forced to swerve badly, dropping it back a place from the spot it was before the overtaking began.
4. On 4, the leading chariot is forced to swerve badly, dropping it two places instead of one.
5. On 5, the leading is damaged or a horse is injured; dropping it to last place and all future overtaking rolls require +1.
6. On 6, leading chariot loses a wheel and is out of the race; roll a second time, if 1 is rolled again, leading charioteer is killed.

Odds of Cheating:
• Each faction rolls once at the start of each race. On a 6, the faction cheats.

Effects of Cheating:
1. On 1, charioteers attempts to whip any hostile charioteer who overtakes them. Success on 5 or 6, results in prevention of overtaking.
2. On 2, starting gate of one enemy chariot is jammed, putting them in last place out of the gate. Roll second time, on 1, 2, or 3 the Secondary chariot is effected, on 4, 5, or 6 the Primary chariot is effected.
3. On 3, starting gates of both enemy chariots are jammed, putting them in 3rd and 4th place out of the gate. Factions only compete with each other to determine complete starting order.
4. On 4, Primary chariot uses spiked wheel hubs. All overtaking rolls +1 to collision rolls. If collision occurs, reroll until the result damages the other chariot.
5. On 5, enemy team member bribed. Roll second time, on 1, 2, or 3 the Secondary enemy chariot is effected, on a 4, 5, or 6 the Primary enemy chariot is effected.
6. On 6, two enemy team members bribed, one affecting the Primary enemy chariot and one affecting the Secondary enemy chariot.

Effects of Team Member Bribery:
1. On 1, Horse Holder is bribed, dropping team back one place on start.
2. On 2, Encourager is bribed, making all overtaking rolls require +1.
3. On 3, Charioteer is bribed and will never take first place, also all overtaking rolls between friendly teams have +1 to collision rolls.
4. On 4, Pit-Stop Soaker is bribed, roll once on laps 4, 5, 6 & 7. On lap 4, roll of 6 results in fire. On lap 5, roll of 5 or 6 results in fire. On lap 6, roll of 4, 5, or 6 results in fire. On lap 7, roll of 3, 4, 5, or 6 results in fire. If fire, chariot is out of the race, roll again, if 1 or 2 is rolled, charioteer is killed.
5. On 5, Stable Worker is bribed to injure horse, making all overtaking rolls require +1. Every lap, roll to see if horse collapses; on 6, horse collapses, putting chariot out of the race. If horse collapses, roll again; on a roll 4, 5, or 6, charioteer is killed.
6. On 6, assassin is bribed to poison charioteer before the race, making all overtaking rolls require +1. Every lap, roll to see if charioteer dies; on 6, charioteer dies. If charioteer lasts the entire race, roll one final time; on 4, 5, or 6, charioteer dies after the race.

Charioteer Creation:
• Charioteer with best record gets the Primary team for his faction. If charioteers tied in record, charioteer who placed best last race gets Primary team.
• Charioteers who place 4th twice in a row, or who place 3rd or 4th three times in a row are replaced.
• Charioteers who die are replaced.
• For new charioteers roll. On 1 or 2 they have one trait. On 3 or 4 they have two traits. On 5 they have three traits. On 6 they have four traits. For each trait, roll once. 1 or 2 is a Negative Charioteer Trait. 3 or 4 is a Neutral Charioteer Trait. 5 or 6 is a Positive Charioteer Trait. The same traits can be taken multiple times with cumulative effects. Mutually exclusive traits cannot be held simultaneously, reroll if that would result.
• All new Charioteers also roll for one Background trait.
• After every two races, charioteers gain one trait.

Charioteer Traits:
Positive Charioteer Traits: (d10)
1. Fast out of the Gate: +1 to Order out of the Starting Gate rolls. (ME N1)
2. Sturdy Chariot: If collision occurs and effects charioteer, reroll once. (ME N2)
3. Intimidates Enemy Charioteer: +1 to Overtake rolls against one enemy team. Roll 1, 2 or 3 to effect Secondary team. Role 4, 5, or 6 to effect Primary team. (ME N3)
4. Strong Starter: +1 to Overtake rolls on laps 1 and 2. (ME N4)
5. Strong Finisher: +1 to Overtake rolls on laps 6 and 7. (ME N5)
6. Healthy: If charioteer loses a death roll, reroll once. (ME N6)
7. Lucky: May reroll an Overtaking, Collision, or Collision Effect die once per race. (ME N7)
8. Good with 4 Horse Teams: +1 to overtake rolls when using a 4 Horse Team. (ME N8)
9. Good with 2 Horse Teams: +1 to overtake rolls when using a 2 Horse Team. (ME N9)
10. Experienced Encourager: First collision to occur is completely avoided by both teams. (ME N10)

Negative Charioteer Traits: (d10)
1. Slow out of the Gate: -1 to Order out of the Starting Gate rolls. (ME P1)
2. Flimsy Chariot: If collision occurs and effects the other charioteer, reroll once. (ME P2)
3. Afraid of Enemy Charioteer: Enemy team gets +1 to Overtake rolls against charioteer. Roll 1, 2 or 3 to effect Secondary enemy team. Role 4, 5, or 6 to effect Primary enemy team. (ME P3)
4. Weak Starter: -1 to Overtake rolls on laps 1 and 2. (ME P4)
5. Weak Finisher: -1 to Overtake rolls on laps 6 and 7. (ME P5)
6. Unhealthy: If charioteer survives a death roll, reroll once. (ME P6)
7. Unlucky: The second time the charioteer wins an Overtaking or Collision Effect roll, reroll it. (ME P7)
8. Bad with 4 Horse Teams: -1 to Overtake rolls when using a 4 Horse Team. (ME P8)
9. Bad with 2 Horse Teams: -1 to Overtake rolls when using a 2 Horse Team. (ME P9)
10. Inexperienced Encourager: +1 to collision chance on the first collision roll. (ME P10)

Neutral Charioteer Traits:
1. Aggressive: +1 to all Collision rolls. (ME N2)
2. Cautious: -1 to all Collision rolls. (ME N1)
3. Drives Horses Hard: +1 to all Overtake rolls on laps 1, 2, and 3. Overtake rolls made against Charioteer on laps 5, 6, and 7 gain +1. (ME N4)
4. Easy on Horses: Overtake rolls made against Charioteer on laps 1, 2, and 3 gain +1. +1 to all Overtake rolls on laps 5, 6, and 7. (ME N3)
5. Corrupt Team: +1 to Odds of Cheating Rolls for faction. If enemy team cheats, reroll Effects of Cheating until 5 or 6 is rolled. (ME N6)
6. Honest Team: -1 to Odds of Cheating Rolls for faction. If enemy team cheats, reroll Effects of Cheating until 1, 2, 3, or 4 is rolled. (ME N5)

Background Charioteer Traits: (d20)
1. Young
2. Old
3. From Nobility
4. From Peasantry
5. Veteran Soldier
6. Non-Greek
7. Deformed
8. Handsome
9. Famous Racer
10. Complete Unknown
11. Devoted to the Basileus
12. Scorns the Basileus
13. Devout Orthodox
14. Scorns Religion
15. Bully
16. Kind
17. Intelligent
18. Stupid
19. Fat
20. Short

Active Charioteers:
Constans Kaspax
Blue Faction
Record: First (R1), Third (R2), Third (R3)
Background Trait: Kind
Charioteer Trait(s): Strong Starter, Honest Team, Easy on Horses

Longinius Nicerite
Blue Faction
Record: Third (R1), Second (R2), First (R3)
Background Trait: Short
Charioteer Trait(s): Weak Finisher, Lucky

Magnentius Ferro
Green Faction
Record: First (R2), Second (R3)
Background Trait: Intelligent
Charioteer Trait(s): Cautious, Honest Team, Drives Horses Hard, Strong Starter

Inactive/Dead Charioteers:
Phocas Dandalo (Fired)
Green Faction
Record: Fourth
Background Trait: Young
Charioteer Trait(s): Drives Horses Hard

Falkon Xerus (Retired due to losses)
Green Faction
Record: Second (R1), Fourth (R2), Fourth (R3)
Background Trait: Famous Racer
Charioteer Trait(s): Unlucky, Sturdy Chariot, Weak Starter

Unused Charioteer Names:
http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Byzantine_Names

Previous Races:
Race 1: 1081 AD:
2 Horse Race
1: Blue - Constans Kaspax
2: Green - Falkon Xerus
3: Red - Longinius Nicerite
4 White - Phocas Dandalo

Race 2: 1095 AD:
4 Horse Race
1: White - Magnentius Ferro
2: Red - Longinius Nicerite
3: Blue - Constans Kaspax
4: Green - Falkon Xerus

Race 3: 1132 AD:
4 Horse Race
1: Red - Longinius Nicerite
2: Green - Magnentius Ferro
3: Blue - Constans Kaspax
4: White - Falkon Xerus

TinCow
04-29-2009, 13:58
And here are the races that I ran:

Race 1:
No cheating

Out of the Gate Order:
7 Blue
5 White
4 Red
2 Green

Lap 1:
Green overtakes Red

Blue
White
Green
Red

Lap 2:
White overtakes Blue

White
Blue
Green
Red

Lap 3:
Blue overtakes White – COLLISION – Blue Chariot damaged, overtaking aborted, future O rolls take +1

White
Blue
Green
Red

Lap 4:
Blue overtakes White
Red overtakes Green

Blue
White
Red
Green

Lap 5:
Red overtakes White (due to White tired horses)
Green overtakes White (due to White tired horses)

Blue
Red
Green
White

Lap 6:
Blue
Red
Green
White

Lap 7:
Green overtakes Red

Blue
Green
Red
White

Race 2:
1095 AD – 4 Horse race

No Cheating (Both teams have Honest charioteers)

Out of the Gate Order:

Blue 5
Red 5
Green 2
White 5

On reroll

Blue 6
Red 5
White 5
Green

On second reroll

Blue
Red 1
White 5
Green

Final Order:
Blue
White
Red
Green

Lap 1:
White overtakes Blue – No collision roll needed
Red overtakes Blue – No collision roll needed

White
Red
Blue
Green

Lap 2:
Red overtakes White

Red
White
Blue
Green

Lap 3:
Green overtakes Blue

Red
White
Green
Blue

Lap 4:
Blue overtakes Green

Red
White
Blue
Green

Lap 5:
White overtakes Red – No collision roll needed

White
Red
Blue
Green

Lap 6:
Blue overtakes Red

White
Blue
Red
Green

Lap 7:
Red overtakes Blue
Green overtakes White – Unlucky reroll results in failure to overtake

White
Red
Blue
Green

Race 3:
1132 AD – 4 Horse race

Green Faction, Green Team cheats (via pevergreen) with additional cheating of Green Team halting before finish line if he is in first place. – Whips all overtaking

Out of the Gate Order:

5 Blue
4 Green
3 White
2 Red

Lap 1:
Green overtakes Blue in dominating fashion (huge bonus)

Green
Blue
White
Red

Lap 2:
Blue overtakes Green, Green whips Blue but it does not stop overtaking.
COLLISION – Blue chariot damaged and horse injured. Overtaking is aborted and -1 to all future O rolls for Blue.

Green
Blue
White
Red

Lap 3:
White overtakes Blue
Red overtakes Blue

Green
White
Red
Blue

Lap 4:
No Change

Green
White
Red
Blue

Lap 5:
White overtakes Green, but fails by bad luck.

Green
White
Red
Blue

Lap 6:
Red overtakes White

Green
Red
White
Blue

Lap 7:
Red overtakes Green, Green lets Red go past him without much struggle.
Blue overtakes White

Red
Green
Blue
White

Cecil XIX
04-29-2009, 21:33
I'm impressed, Tincow.