PDA

View Full Version : 3d max9 and normals

meliritos
06-04-2008, 18:27
Hey guys. I have this problem and i need to solve it as soon as possible.When i export any model in 3d max9 no matter if it is unit or building it always comes out with the normals reversed. When i load it up in the game the normals are inside out.When i was using 3d max 6 i didnt have this kind of problem.has anyone faced such a problem too and can gve me some advice??????

Thor the Bassist
06-04-2008, 18:38
I've never met it before but cant you just flip all the normals in max before you export so the game flips it back?

meliritos
06-05-2008, 05:54
thats...simple , smart and i am stupid that i never tried it.so you mean to say that i export with the normals inverted and wait for the game to invert them back in? hehe i will try it.When i had max6, i imported it and export it from max 6 and the problem would dissapear....But now i have 9 installed. Anyway its your way or the 6 way i guess. Thanks man

meliritos
06-05-2008, 12:24
it seems to work for the moment with this trick but i really want to know why it does that.Maybe i have pushed the wrong buttons....

Thor the Bassist
06-05-2008, 14:17
I'm guessing that the problem is because the max script is written for other versions of max (7 works fine and I believe 8 does) and there'll be some aspect of max 9 that means the normals are flipped. To be honest I'd be glad its something as simple and fixable as that and that the script doesn't balls up the textures or something like that. When I've been doing building collision files its screwed up the vertex painting and I have to spend literally an extra 20 minutes per poly to make it work properly.

One thing to check is that you have version 0.79c which is the latest version of the script.