PDA

View Full Version : I think my xbox 360 is breaking :(

frogbeastegg
06-07-2008, 10:12
Hard to tell whether this topic belongs here or in the arena. It's a hardware issue so I'll try here first; it can be moved if the local authorities prefer.

It's a PAL elite model, I got it on 24/08/07, the day that the elite launched in Europe. It's been kept clean and well ventilated. It's been set up in the upright position so it's got improved airflow since day 1.

(Un)fortunately it's not doing the 3 red rings of death. It's locking up when it tries to load levels on Lego Indiana Jones. Any level. Every level. It's not a bad disc and I completed all of the story levels last night; I'm trying to replay them. The entire console stops responding about the time it should switch from loading screen to the level. The only thing I can do is turn it off with the main power switch; it won't respond to the controller and guide button at all. It's done this 3 times this morning; I haven't been able to play the game at all.

This isn't isolated. Two Worlds hung up on me once at a loading pause. Mass Effect hung up on me once during a big loading section. GTA4 hung up on me 3 times during loading screens. After swapping discs the disc tray is occasionally reluctant to go back in when I press the button; I have to give the tray a gentle push. In all those cases everything worked fine after the system was powered off and on.

Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong with it? I'd prefer to avoid Microsoft support until it's unavoidable. Hours spent on the phone to a call centre on the other side of the world is not my idea of fun.

TB666
06-07-2008, 10:20
I'm pretty sure that Microsoft has a call center in England.
If they have it in Sweden, they got it there too.

Fragony
06-07-2008, 10:31
Game over man, game over.

Ferret
06-07-2008, 12:47
Mine used to do that fairly frequently as well, the freeze accompanied by a weird constant noise. Still got the same box though and it hasn't done it for ages, so yours will either go back to normal or go kaput. :shrug:

TB666
06-07-2008, 13:13
Have you tried dusting it ??
Also as far I know, having it upright actually hinders airflow since you are blocking one of the exhaust fans.

frogbeastegg
06-07-2008, 16:00
The vents are vaccumed over each time the rest of the room is done. Knowing the console's reputation it's been treated with even more care than my others.

I swapped it to lying flat, gave the vents another clean over, and tried again. I had to restart the console a few times but eventually it did load a level in Indy. It died when attempting to load the next level after that. I ejected the disc to try another and the drive wouldn't close, it sat there making grinding noises instead. It's now shut down with no discs in it waiting for me to make the call to tech.

This marks my first ever broken console in a decade and a half of gaming. The timing is remarkable; I brought it to celebrate a promotion, and 2 days after I've been offered another it's broken. :inquisitive:

There shouldn't be any problems if I keep my HD here instead of sending that in with the rest, should there? I don't want to risk them wiping it or sending me a different one.

TB666
06-07-2008, 16:06
How long is the store warranty period in England ??
Because if you still have store warranty then you should take it in to them.
And no, you don't need to send in the HD.
They just want the console(Store and microsoft).

frogbeastegg
06-07-2008, 16:18
Store warranty is tricky. In theory, and by law, it should cover the product for its expected working lifespan. In practice they usually refuse to help, and tell you to contact the maker if it's more than a few months old - unless you pay extra for their own extended warranty.

Fragony
06-07-2008, 16:35
Takes a call, they pick it up at your house and you get it back at your house in 10 days, they may be a bit *ahum* but the repair service is great.

TB666
06-07-2008, 16:41
Store warranty is tricky. In theory, and by law, it should cover the product for its expected working lifespan. In practice they usually refuse to help, and tell you to contact the maker if it's more than a few months old - unless you pay extra for their own extended warranty.
Well in Sweden it's 1 year store warranty and if they refuse to take it then they are breaking the law hence you need to report them.
In Sweden there has been several reports of stores refusing to take 360s with a valid store warranty.
Naturally people don't realise that the stores don't have an option in this.
They have to take them. If they can't send them to repair then you have the right to a new product or your money back.

frogbeastegg
06-07-2008, 18:25
I used the online service. When they say "A confirmation email will be sent shortly" does anyone know how soon they mean? It's been a while ...

TB66, it's so common for shops to refuse that it is difficult to do anything about it. It really does come down to how good the staff are in the shop you go to. Sometimes you can return your 4 year old shredder with no problems, others you can't take back something far newer. The shop I got my xbox from is currently staffed by folk I wouldn't call useful. They'll tell me it's far too old, and that I should have paid extra for their in-store xbox exchange service.

TB666
06-07-2008, 18:28
Well how long is the store warranty for electronical items in England ??

frogbeastegg
06-07-2008, 18:41
They don't give a set amount of time, instead saying "reasonable lifespan". That makes for plenty of arguing over what reasonable is. My gran's cooker is well over 30 years old! Is it reasonable to expect that from ours? My old PC's motherboard died after ~2 years, is that reasonable? I'd say no in both cases. 30 years is amazing, and 2 is not enough.

Then you have to prove it failed due to a design fault, and the burden of proof is on the shopper. It's usually impossible to prove for the average person as the shop can insist that the proof isn't good enough.

Words like "reasonable usage" are also thrown in to further complicate matters. Playing on your console is reasonable and expected usage. Ah, but did you use it for more than two hours at a time? Sorry, that could be unreasonable if the shop wants it to be.

Most shops sell extended warranties. If you buy one then you get your legal rights without hassle. Otherwise ...

IIRC it was £50 for a warranty on my 360 which allowed me to take it back to the shop for immediate replacement if it broke.

TB666
06-07-2008, 18:45
I had always figured England to be more like Sweden.
Leave warranty up to the stores seems like a really bad idea.

frogbeastegg
06-07-2008, 19:26
When the box arrives do you need to pack the console up so it can be taken away immediately? I'll be at work when it's delivered so it would be good to know what to expect so I can brief my parents.

Kekvit Irae
06-07-2008, 19:33
No, you don't need to pack it up right away, but it is suggested you do it within a few days.

frogbeastegg
06-07-2008, 23:55
I feel like my IQ has dropped so low I should begin typing without punctuation and say lolz every fifth word. :dunce: They sent me my email instructions and I don't entirely understand them. It reads like they were trying to tell me to do one thing, but got addicted to multiple choice tests and branched out into 3 incomplete options.

It starts with the cheery words "We have 3 shipping methods to get your console to us". All's well, until you realise it doesn't tell you how you choose between them, if you get to choose, or which option you've been assigned.

A bit later I find I've been emailed a UPS label. Ok, looks like I have been dumped with option 1 then. Bit rude that they didn't ask a preference but oh well. So let's take a closer look at that.

I have to pack the console up, but not in the original box. I get that.

But what next?

I have an email label so according to the Microsoft instructions I write my address on the box on the box, that's it. No further details. Doesn't even tell me to print the label and stick it on the box. Let's look at the UPS email itself. According to that email I now have to add on scads of complex information such as how much this item costs, country of manufacture, terms of sale(!), and whether it needs VAT applying, and carry it off to a UPS office miles away. I can't do that! I'm at work, and I'm allergic to hiking along miles of high speed road to get to an industrial park on the far side of my city. There are enough squashed frogs on the roads without me joining them.

But then the Microsoft email tells me that there's a second return option. I'll have a paper label delivered by UPS, they'll bring a box, and they'll take away my packaged console immediately. This sounds a lot more like it: the UPS guy and his Xbox coffin is famous. Everyone talks about the console being picked up. Er, but then why do I have that electronic label? Maybe there's a choice involved but the email makes it sound like an either/or situation. Either you get sent the electronic label or you get a courier.

And a third option! The sheer unmitigated delight. According to this one I'll have a pre-paid box complete with packing materials delivered to me. This option has tracking numbers and other posh bits. This sounds identical to option number 2 except for them bringing packaging and a box, and giving a tracking number. Why does it exist? Why?

So ... ah, what am I actually doing here? Waiting for UPS? Hiking miles to the other side of the city while being hit by cars? Waiting for everything to be delivered to me? Do I believe the first two options and start wrapping the console up, or option 3 and wait for the box and materials to be delivered?

It would make sense if you dumped option 3, and merged options 1 and 2 together. Pack up your console, then use the electronic label and take it in yourself if you are impatient, or wait for the box and UPS guy if you are not.

lolz
:surrender:

CrossLOPER
06-08-2008, 00:14
Buy a PS3.

frogbeastegg
06-08-2008, 17:57
Got one. It gets most of its usage playing my PS2 games in upscaled glory, with the benefits of a wireless controller and faster memory card access. It's the best DVD player I've had. It's barely used as a PS3; I wish it had more exclusive games which appeal to me. Wonderful piece of technology though, and very well put together. Glad I got it before they ripped half the features out of the PAL version.

Kekvit Irae
06-08-2008, 19:12
The third option is really the best for you. I have no need nor desire to go all the way over to the other side of town to the post office to buy a box to ship in, THEN having to contact UPS or drop it off at a UPS store. I'd rather have the whole packaging delivered to me, saving me time (and a trip to the post office).

frogbeastegg
06-08-2008, 19:28
You can choose your option? How? There's nothing in the email about that.

lolz i iz so confuzed :dunce:

TB666
06-08-2008, 21:06
Well they do it differently in America I have read.
In Sweden you have to supply your own box, print out the notice and put it in the box and then call UPS for pick up(which microsoft set up so they are aware of it).
You have to do this within a week.

frogbeastegg
06-11-2008, 11:27
I've resolved that mess of an email. It seems like I got parts of three possible mails instead of a single one which said "Your UPS label is following in a seperate email. Please box up your console minus all accessories, slap the label on it, and head to UPS' website to schedule a pick up. PS: we're so sorry your console broke. Hugs and kisses, MS support".

Pick up tomorrow, Civ:Rev coming through the post on Friday. ~:mecry:

Mailman653
06-11-2008, 20:23
I just got my 360 about two weeks ago from MS, it doesn't have the red rings, instead the lights sometimes behave erratically and sometimes the CD drive sticks and I have to push it closed and open it again, or tug on it for it to open fully, plus I suspect my 360 makes more noise than it used to......but hey it works now right? lol

frogbeastegg
06-11-2008, 21:09
It's the rare stories like that which make me unhappy about sending mine away - you don't know what you are going to get back. If I were you I'd be in contact and demanding they fix it properly.

Heaven help them if mine returns in that state. :hairpin2: I'm unhappy enough that it's necessary in the first place.

:crosses fingers: All it needs is a bit of drive maintenance, maybe a replacement drive. That's all. No need for a refurb model replacement. No great likelyhood of the console coming back shonky. It'll all be fine. Lots of 360 owners go through this and only a small percentage have trouble.

El Diablo
06-11-2008, 21:20
Two things Frogbestegg...

1. I just got the red rings of death and have sent my xbox off on monday. You need to remeove your Hard drive AND FACEPLATE (well thats what they told me). Also triple check there is no game in the drive!!!

2. A good friend of mine sent his off (for the red rings of death) and they refused to replace it as he had "tampered" with the game. It seems that they have some pretty delicate clips inside that break if any "unauthorised" attempt has been made to get inside. He never had opened it (the guy can't even work a DVD player), he thought they may have broken off in transit and was going to lose the console till his finace (think vicious legal sec) threatened to sue them.

So make sure you pack it nice and snug!

Good luck - hey for the both of us.

ED

frogbeastegg
06-11-2008, 21:49
That mess of an email told me to remove custom faceplates. It said nothing about standard ones. Nice to see the confusion continues. Mine's got the standard elite faceplate on it; I'll remove it just in case.

I know there's no disc inside mine because I couldn't get the drive to close when I removed Lego Indy. I intended to test another game but didn't think it worth the risk of it getting jammed in after discovering I couldn't get the drive to close again. I had to give it a good shove; the usual "Gah! The button's not working again!" gentle push did nothing.

By preference I'd wrap it in several layers of thick bubble wrap, and pack it into a sturdy box filled with cushioning scrunchy paper. Ultra safe. I don't happen to have anything like that and can't get it without spending a small fortune. What I've managed to put together is a reused amazon book box filled on all sides with that scrunchy paper. No bubble wrap because the box is a tighter fit than I'm happy with. It's all held together firmly with half a roll of parcel tape. It should be ok unless it is thrown about or put under something very heavy. I hope.

They should have provided the packing by default. It's in warranty.

Good luck with yours. It'll be fine. Right? Think positive. Most people don't have problems. :sweatdrop:

TB666
06-11-2008, 22:18
A nice idea is to write down your serial number.
That way you will know if it's a new one or a the same one.
The worst thing that can happen is that you get a refurb.

frogbeastegg
06-11-2008, 22:42
I have the serial noted on the online support and on a bit of paper. I've also marked the little footrests that the console rests on in the upright position with some red CD marker. It's only visible if you look closely, and it's unlikely to come off by accident.

I really don't want a refurb. First, I don't know how it's been treated by the previous owner. I treat my belongings with great care; that can't be said of everyone. Second, I see that most of the people who complain about problems with repaired consoles have been sent refurbs. Third, it seems like a lot of those who have had multiple failed consoles have had refurbs which then died, and died, and died. Fourth, I plain hate the idea of having my nice beloved box replaced with something that broke so badly half the innards needed replacing in some Frankenstein job. This box has brushless fans and the other supposedly better parts; it's pot luck as to which components make up your console and I was very fortunate with this one. Fifth, I know this box is on the quieter end of the 360 jet plane noise scale. That's not saying much. Louder would be unbearable - it'd drown out the quieter parts of the games. Sixth, this box has a modicum of sentimental value.

Picky, I know. I can't help it; I want my own console back. :shrug:

Husar
06-11-2008, 23:07
I can understand that, sounds valid to me. Sorry you have to go through this, I know I wouldn't want to.

Hope it works out well. ~:)

frogbeastegg
06-12-2008, 22:29
UPS picked it up today. I'd booked a slot for 3-7PM, as people would be coming and going from the house all morning. Lo and behold I get home to find it was picked up at ... 11:50am. Lucky they caught someone. The driver reportedly said that people don't get to specify what time it is picked up. So what's the point of booking a slot? :questiong:

Let's hope that fulfills my quota of xbox bad luck.

TB666
06-14-2008, 13:04
Well UPS in general suck so no surprise there.

frogbeastegg
06-17-2008, 19:29
UPS say it was delivered at 3:10 on Saturday. When I check my repair status on MS's online page it still says they are waiting for the device to arrive. Sometimes. Other times it will say I have no registered devices, or that I don't have a pending repair.

Is this normal? :paranoid frog:

Husar
06-18-2008, 11:20
I wouldn't put too much into their online tracking stuff, maybe they're too lazy to update it, at least with the post delivery tracking it can take hours here until the status is updated, always makes me wonder why. :shrug:

Usually you could say such online tracking is just an additional service, if it doesn't work that does not mean the actual service doesn't work either, that's how I see it.

frogbeastegg
06-25-2008, 20:34
It's back. I got my own console back, and all appears well after a 20 minute test play. The comments sheets says that the problem was "other" and is now fixed, no new DVD drive or anything major. It was nice to push the disc tray button and have it close on first attempt.

The console sounds different. It's more of an airflow noise than the hair drier/jet plane effect from before. It makes it easier for the TV to drown it out, so that's good. I wonder why the change though; according to the sheet nothing major was replaced and the console sounded like that from the day I got it out of the box. Oh well, no big deal. It's only natural amphibian curiosity.

FactionHeir
06-25-2008, 21:57
Probably fixed a fan or so