PDA

View Full Version : About the reforms

Lt Nevermind
06-07-2008, 21:36
Hi, I was wondering what exactly is the trigger for the marius reforms to take place? I'm under the impression that the trigger is building an Imperial Palace in the Italian peninsula (except Rome) or on the island of Sicily. Now, I'm playing currently as non-roman (Seleucids) and have built the Imperial Palace in Rome and Syracuse, but the reforms haven't taken place. So I wonder does it have to be a _roman_ Imperial Palace to trigger the reforms or does Syracuse not count as Sicily or what? And in any case, is there any way of modding how, when etc. the reforms occur? I glimpsed through most of the relevant looking files but couldn't find a trace of the reforms. Any information is much appreciated!
:yes:

Oh, and I'm playing the Total War: Eras version of Rome (v1.5?) if that's of any use.

caravel
06-08-2008, 00:29
Only the Roman factions trigger the reforms in the manner you've suggested, so if you're not a Roman faction and wipe out all of the Roman factions then the reforms should not occur at all.

Shieldmaiden
06-08-2008, 01:16
Cambyses II is right.

The Marian Reforms in RTW version 1.5 are triggered by a Roman faction (not SPQR) completing an Imperial Palace in a hidden_resource italy (actually, Italy and Sicily) city.

Previous versions had a date trigger too (220 BC or later IIRC). But its not in v1.5.

I believe its hardcoded.

Lt Nevermind
06-09-2008, 06:58
Right, well no more reforms in this campaign I guess. And there doesn't even exist any cheat code for activating the reforms. :no:

Well, a sincere Thank You to both of you. Atleast I know where I'm standing now, though the ground ain't pleasant.

Horseman
06-09-2008, 08:58
Well its not a big problem really.

The only thing the Marius reforms give for non Romans is the upgraded Generals bodyguards. Not a huge loss and everyone else will be stuck with their basic Generals too.

Lt Nevermind
06-09-2008, 14:13
Yes you're quite right, it's not that important overall. Those upgraded bodyguards would have been quite nice, though, since the greek type boduguards are extremely weak, escpecially if without upgrades or experience. And even with full upgrades you get their stats to no more than around 20. :no:

I wonder though how modders have changed requirements for the reforms, like having 6 latifundias and minimum amounts of provinces etc. Not much of a code monkey myself, only now Java and even that only so-so, but apparently there is something to be done on the reforms.
:juggle2:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
06-09-2008, 16:12
They do it through background scripting - the same R:TW function which powers the advisor and their "show me how" button. Most mods with custom reforms don't use the default in-game Marian reform function at all. You can read more about scripting here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=46738) and ask questions on it in this forum (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=73).

Good luck ~:)

Lt Nevermind
06-10-2008, 14:19
Thank you for the linky Omanes, most interesting stuff and within reach of my capabilities. :2thumbsup:

Seems to be quite a big of playground this scripting, we'll se if I can pull anything of use out of it.