PDA

View Full Version : A LAN network Bandwidth regulating program

Crazed Rabbit
06-23-2008, 02:40
Like it says on the tin, I'm looking for a (free) program that I can use to control and set limits on the bandwidth allotted to each user on a LAN network.

Thanks,
CR

Whacker
06-23-2008, 02:48
Perhaps you can elaborate some on what it is you're trying to accomplish? Describe the environment that you're looking to implement this in? Serious QoS and traffic shaping is usually done at the network layer as most of the time users can futz with their system configs given admin access. WinXP/2k/etc have built-in QoS capabilities but I've never messed with them. Some higher end NAT routers (Linksys etc) have some rudimentary QoS/traffic shaping capabilities, esp. those devices that also act as VoIP endpoints.

Lemur
06-23-2008, 03:01
This line (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127158&Tpk=dgl-4300) of D-Link routers allows you to do some QoS stuff as well. Helped me un-mess-up my VOIP phone, for starters. Not sure if it would allow you to put hard network caps on users ...

Crazed Rabbit
06-23-2008, 03:59
What I've got is a cable modem going to a router. This router splits off into two cables; one goes to a computer and the other to another router some distance away. This second router splits into two cables, each going to a computer. I don't believe either of the routers are higher-end.

What I want to do is put limits on the amount of bandwidth allotted to the three different computers. So, each can only DL a certain amount of kB/s so none can hog the bandwidth.

Any way I can do this, even if it could be easily undone through admin privileges, would be nice. Looking up some XP QoS stuff right now.

CR