PDA

View Full Version : Highlandclansman Mod - production

highlandclansman
06-26-2008, 16:53
Hi, I'm kind of new here, but i've been trying out editing a few text files etc and I am going to try and start a mod which will emulate the middle ages accurately while also making the game harder and more fun. Any help would be appreciated!:2thumbsup:

I have done some research :book: and I have come up with these maps:

http://www.euratlas.net/PHA/history_europe/europe_map_1000.jpg

for the Early Period - begins at 1000AD

http://www.euratlas.net/PHA/history_europe/europe_map_1200.jpg

for the middle period - begins at 1150ad

http://www.euratlas.net/PHA/history_europe/europe_map_1300.jpg

for the late period - begins at 1300ad

I will be posting more bits of planning and research although i might not be posting that much for the next 8 weeks or so because i'm off school for the summer.

Anyway, someone who's more experienced than i am and/or who's just willing to help, please post. Thanks!

highlandclansman
06-26-2008, 17:17
Oh yeah I just remembered that I was noting down a rough copy of the factions at school today. It's not very neat but here it is:

https://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/rathalosdufc/factions.jpg?t=1214496995

Raz
06-29-2008, 12:32
You have very messy handwriting...
Joking, joking. =P

OK, where to begin. First off, are you sure you know what you're doing, or more precisely, do you know what you're getting yourself into? Saying that you're going to make a mod isn't something you can say lightly (unless it's a small, little mod) - make sure you'll actually work on it, and if you note that in the first few months that you just can't work on it, say so.

Next, do you know how to modify large portions of the game at the moment, or at least, are you willing to learn how to modify the game yourself? Even if you've ten, twenty, thirty people working on your mod, the mod leader will always need to be there working on it even when others have come on gone. Remember, although you might be able to a mod a text file here and there, unless you've got a really big team working on it, you'll need to be the "Jack of all trades" sort of guy (Not only add a unit here and there but add buildings, add resources, edit the campaign, add factions etc.)

If you've answered yes to the above two questions, might I suggest trying out other mods that aim to add to the game like yours. Have you tried the XL mod? BKB's Super Mod? Wes' MedMod? They all aim for something along the lines of your mod - why you might ask? Well, if you're ever stuck on idea's "borrowing" them from a similar mod always helps. :wink2:

Also, try looking through the Repository for guides (or guidelines) on modding, and if you can't find what you're looking for, don't hesitate to ask in the Alchemist's Lab. One last thing I might add, always keep in touch with the people looking forward to the release of your mod, always provide updates on your progress as often as possible or else they'll just forget about the mod and it'll disappear along with many mods before yours. Or you, yourself might disappear like many would-be modders before you.

Oh, and if you ever need someone to write up descriptions for factions or units, pick me. I'd like to help out more so, but I lack regular internet access and it'd be difficult for me to stay in touch.
Otherwise - Good Luck with your mod (And give it a name too, be imaginative here, don't just call it "highlandclansman's mod" because that would just be boring :rolleyes:)
And remember, Raz = The guy that writes good descriptions.

highlandclansman
06-29-2008, 15:10
thanks for the tips :2thumbsup: - to be precise i have got mtw -xl and i know that i'll never be able to anything like that in the near future. What I'm trying to do is maybe edit text files , e.g alter faction name to make them accurate, alter startpos and region ownership, maybe create a new campaign with some new factions, something like that. And I was planning on making semi-new (cloned) units, and i'll need descriptions for that so maybe you could help with that if you like. But I do know what I'm going to do - nothing major e.g new maps etc, just a few alterations. Thanks again - i'll post when the units are ready - probably about a month or so cause i'm away on holiday. I'm only the joint team leader though - this guy from my school was in on this idea as well and for some reason he hasn't posted in this thread yet...~:angry:. Anyway thanks for the help mate - in fact I was kind of hoping someone would post something like this. But I can't name it until the other team leader bothers to post in this thread!

highlandclansman
07-15-2008, 12:49
RIGHT. OK. THERE WILL BE A LOT OF INFO HERE.

The Mod has changed. I am doing it myself and it will be a simple campaign starting in 855 called the Dark Ages with some semi-new (cloned) units. But, i cant edit the heroes file. i just cant do it. no matter how many times i try, it just doesn't work. so, if any one would like to help me and make an accurate heroes file, please do so. Here is the link to the startpos and heroes file:

http://files.filefront.com/thedarkages+heroandstartpsrar/;11071989;/fileinfo.html

also, do i need to ask bkb and tyberius and vikinghorde if i can use some of their maps, units and shields? i have done everything except the units.

Tyberius
07-15-2008, 15:46
also, do i need to ask bkb and tyberius and vikinghorde if i can use some of their maps, units and shields? i have done everything except the units.If you have found on my stuff, something you can use on your mod, feel free to use it, change or adapt it at will. That's the idea of being a guild...:2thumbsup:

highlandclansman
07-16-2008, 10:09
Thanks m8!:beam:
Fortunately I have solved the problem with the hero file but know after Ive done the unit_prod11 i can't start mtw up because it says:

Too few values found in element data: column row 4, data row 303

HORSE

and I don't know how to fix it. :wall: All I need to do is fix this and I can release the mod as version 0.1 Beta. Please help me...

Raz
07-16-2008, 12:25
I've never seen that error myself, but my guess is that you've deleted the mounts "units" in one of the unit_prods, I don't know a single mod that has actually changed the mounts so I suggest that you put the mounts back into the unit_prod. Just copy and paste them from another unit_prod. Mounts being the khorse, armhorse, camel etc.

If it isn't that I don't what it is... :confused:

highlandclansman
07-16-2008, 17:01
ok. now people may get annoyed at me for this or say im stupid or something but please try t understand this is my first mod :sweatdrop: - i have now fixed (temporarily) the previous problem. I now have yet another one. The campaign starts, map comes up factions there etc. when i click "end turn" it ctd.:furious3: also when i try to view unit information ie. right click on its icon. I just have no idea...:shame:

Tyberius
07-17-2008, 07:04
ok. now people may get annoyed at me for this or say im stupid or something but please try t understand this is my first mod :sweatdrop: - i have now fixed (temporarily) the previous problem. I now have yet another one. The campaign starts, map comes up factions there etc. when i click "end turn" it ctd.:furious3: also when i try to view unit information ie. right click on its icon. I just have no idea...:shame:
No, none of us may think you're stupid, I, and every modder here has maken misatakes. about the end turn ctd, I don't know what can it be. but the right click on an unit icon and ctd,
can only be the lack of an Info Pic.

highlandclansman
07-17-2008, 11:18
info pic? im sure i checked that ~:confused: ... ok. once i've checked that, i'll upload everthing ive done onto filefront and i'll post the link - maybe someone else can solve it in their spare time or something cos im away on holiday for a week.:2thumbsup:

Raz
07-17-2008, 14:49
The CTD on the right click would be as Tyberius has said, a lack of an Info Pic. As for the end turn CTD, that could be one of many things, regions, names and what not. My best guess would be a missing region (or a reference to a non-existent region) in a production or startpos file. Look for a region_id that you've mis-typed or something.