PDA

View Full Version : DVD Drive Issue

naut
07-05-2008, 11:02
My computer has two DVD Disk drives. One (the original) is a Sony NEC ND-6500A and the other is LITE-ON (unsure of the model number). I had some compatibility issues so I disabled the NEC drive, when I went to enable it this afternoon I accidentally did it via troubleshoot rather than the drop-down menu. This rather than enabling it now makes it appear as if it's unplugged, but it's not. How can I enable it again?

Lemur
07-05-2008, 13:17
I'm going to assume you're in Windows XP, just for giggles. Click on "Run" in the Start menu, and type compmgmt.msc in the box. This will bring up the "manage my computer" menu, from which you can check out your missing DVD drive.

naut
07-05-2008, 15:23
I'm going to assume you're in Windows XP, just for giggles. Click on "Run" in the Start menu, and type compmgmt.msc in the box. This will bring up the "manage my computer" menu, from which you can check out your missing DVD drive.
Yep, I'm on XP. Windows doesn't seem to know how to open the .msc file though. It asks me to select a program to open it with.

Edit: Nevermind got compmgmt.msc working, seems file associations were corrupted. The DVD Drive doesn't appear on the devices list, although it flashes onto the list then straight off when I tell it to scan for changes.

Whacker
07-05-2008, 21:52
All Hail our Lord Prosimian, may his reign last a thousand years provided he renounce the camel heresy he's been spouting lately.

Have you checked the physical cable connections? Reseat them, and if that doesn't work maybe try a new cable and/or new power connector on a different rail, or a different SATA/IDE slot on the motherboard. Also verify your jumpers are set properly on each device, just to be safe.

:balloon2: