PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite region?

Swordmaster
07-05-2008, 22:04
There've been many favourite-faction threads so far, but one thing I've always wanted to know is which regions people like most to fight in. Factions I can test myself, but I haven't by far fought battles in all regions or parts of regions so far.

I'm currently enjoying western Anatolia, which has lots of open space but ample trees and hills to make manoeuvring a little more interesting. Fighting in the eastern portions of the maps means a lot of open space, so this is a welcome variation.

I also remember the Alps from my Roman campaigns, which can be real fun when on open hills, but a pain when in thick forests.

Any other opinions here?

MerlinusCDXX
07-05-2008, 22:24
I'm liking SW Iran (Persis, Elymais, Media) for the open, rolling hills. Plenty of opportunities to gain elevation advantages without the annoyance of thick forests.

/Bean\
07-06-2008, 00:14
Anywhere where there is no forest anywhere nearby, no outrageous mountain slopes, and no huge craters in the sand in the desert. :beam: I really like those rare maps where you get the rock in the middle, where you can stand on it and survey the battlefield. Or by a lake, thats quite fun. Or natural bottlenecks. I like battlefields where i can win and not feel guilty lol.

Tyrfingr
07-06-2008, 00:37
The eastern shores of the Mediterreanean.

artavazd
07-06-2008, 00:53
Anywhere where there is no forest anywhere nearby, no outrageous mountain slopes, and no huge craters in the sand in the desert. :beam: I really like those rare maps where you get the rock in the middle, where you can stand on it and survey the battlefield. Or by a lake, thats quite fun. Or natural bottlenecks. I like battlefields where i can win and not feel guilty lol.

I think in 1.1 there is a bug with some regions. For example battles in Armenia are sometimes full of ridicoulus amounts of trees. Only part of Armenia which should have thick forestes is in the north.

Beefy187
07-06-2008, 02:49
Africa. Love the fair battle on the equal grounds.

Fondor_Yards
07-06-2008, 06:45
Macedon/Thrace

LorDBulA
07-06-2008, 07:10
Illyria area. Truly beautiful landscape.

Ibrahim
07-06-2008, 07:24
wherever Arabs live:clown: (so yes,, I love Arabia. beautiful deserts. very scenic and surreal)

The General
07-06-2008, 08:08
Many wonderful places, each differing from one another.

The only places I don't like, no surprise here, are the ones with them enormous trees that prevent you from seeing the beauty of the place.

General Appo
07-06-2008, 08:22
Well, my favourite regions has to be the desert plains of Marakanda and much of the Iranian Plateau where the soil is absolutely void of any vegetation and nature knows no mercy. A great area to kill Greeks with HA´s.

tapanojum
07-06-2008, 11:28
Well, my favourite regions has to be the desert plains of Marakanda and much of the Iranian Plateau where the soil is absolutely void of any vegetation and nature knows no mercy. A great area to kill Greeks with HA´s.

Ah, the wonderful memories come to me now.

After campaigning mostly only with Greek/Eastern Factions, I was delighted to see the landscape in Gaul and the Alps.

/Bean\
07-06-2008, 17:23
Or when you fight in Numidia, and it randomly comes up with rolling green hills and pine forests....this surprised me lol...wasnt my vision of Numidia at all

Power2the1
07-06-2008, 17:33
Hmmm...I always enjoy the Alpine regions. Scenic landscapes, majestic snow covered mountains, crisp blue skies, and Celtic armies slaughtering their enemies beneath. Quite wonderful :yes:

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
07-06-2008, 19:00
Are the enormous trees in certain provinces still there?

I know that the EB team did something to the landscape in 1.1 in comparison to 1.0. For example this is very clearly visible on the western edge of Thermon. I don't remember the elevation being so detailed there before. On the other hand, In Kilikia lastly I got the impression that this portion of the map was not changed.

However, the new landscapes make battles much more challenging but on the other hand the landscape is much more enjoyable.

The province I like the most (if it weren't for the enormous trees) is definitely... well all provinces of the Padus plain. Flat, without any elevation and almost no trees. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Megas Methuselah
07-06-2008, 20:32
Or when you fight in Numidia, and it randomly comes up with rolling green hills and pine forests....this surprised me lol...wasnt my vision of Numidia at all

Yeah, I didn't see that coming, either. Ah well, it was a good fight all the same.

Havok.
07-06-2008, 22:40
Germania DARK FORESTS!
INSAAAANEEE!

:viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking::horn::horn::charge:

/Bean\
07-06-2008, 22:58
You like the endless forests of Germania? You uncivilised barbarian you!:whip:

Swordmaster
07-06-2008, 23:52
I have to commend India, really. There's a dozen of different landscapes there, ranging from palm tree forests to rolling hills to deserts twice as arid and sandy as the Arabian one. Pretty neat. Too bad that it's really on the edge of the map, so that only a few factions have the chance to fight there.

QuintusSertorius
07-07-2008, 00:42
Western Anatolia is a lot better than eastern, which seems to be nothing but hill and mountain. Where it's not forested hill or mountain.

Hooahguy
07-07-2008, 01:03
Bartixtia

QuintusSertorius
07-07-2008, 01:06

Blame both natural climate change and huge ecological damage caused by over-farming.

||Lz3||
07-07-2008, 05:24
my favorite region... any place without forests...nor giagantic slopes or mountains...:smash:

Ibrahim
07-07-2008, 07:08
Blame both natural climate change and huge ecological damage caused by over-farming.

seconded. the only place you can get a glimps of the origional vegetation isn't in Tunisia, but in the Atlas mountains of Morrocco. and even then its only the isolated parts: they have beautiful pine and Oak trees. Oak trees are more common though than pines in morocco.

Emperor Burakuku
07-07-2008, 07:22
I read "religion" not "region" and I was going to say that I'm agnostic... damn it. It's Antiochia I guess. Or maybe Sicily.

/Bean\
07-07-2008, 08:40
I read "religion" not "region" and I was going to say that I'm agnostic... damn it. It's Antiochia I guess. Or maybe Sicily.

Dam, now we'll never know your agnostic :idea2:. I like assaulting Gallic cities, because i love their stone walls and the hilly layout of their towns, rather than the endless flat of civilised cities. I dont often get to fight eastern or northern maps, but if i remember right i think i enjoyed the brief spell of battles in Britain and the region around Edessa (is it still called that in EB?)

Emperor Burakuku
07-07-2008, 08:44
I like Gallic cities too. I'm agnostc BTW.

white_star
07-10-2008, 11:53
Gallic forests is wonderfull. Remeber clearly when I started my romani invasion against the Aedui and Arverni... Love the confusion, the havoc an lack of overview. You have to get down there with the soldiers, Close up see the individuals fighting struggling to survive....When you think you have pinned down the enemy. Suddenly some barbarians comming runnig behind your flank. And the only free units are at the other side of the battlefield. So you have to rush them all the way...Will they make it before your men start to rout? You send your generall over to act as encourage. But he get trapped by some spearmen you didnt see...Suddenly you hear that the enemy general has fallen and the enemy starts to rout one and one. The day is yours.....ah the intensety. :sweatdrop:

KhaziOfKalabara
07-11-2008, 13:14
Mikra Skythia and the foothills of the Carpathians. Beautiful and atmospheric vistas of rivers, gently undulating terrain, small forests and a horizon of snowy mountains. Flat enough to be fightable on, and hilly enough to make elevation and terrain an important part of battle tactics.

Havok.
07-11-2008, 23:34
GERMANIA DARK FORESTS FTW AGAIN!

and i'm agnostic as well :2thumbsup:

Tiberius Aurelius Cotta
07-12-2008, 10:41
i hate those forests!

i iike greece / illyria. not to mention if i win i get lots of $$$ from the greek cities :D

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
07-18-2008, 21:04
Mmmh, but especially Epeiros if full of forested hills...

Che Roriniho
07-18-2008, 22:10
so long as there is none of that super-thick forrest where you actually can't see a frigging thing, I'm fine. like the map with that big rock in the middle, but my tfave is the bridge battles with just the one bridge. send my vvellites over, let loose some javelins, and then pegit back to my side where the slaughter begins :D

Celtic_Punk
07-18-2008, 22:49
I love having flat terrain, or as someone else said, anywhere where there is a good bottleneck. also places with a small little wood nearby so i can spring a trap cavalry charge behind their lines as they move up to me. I hate big huge wooded areas, bogs down my men and siege engines, or messes up formations (i still use formations when im playing as the Casse)

Havok.
07-19-2008, 00:54
l like germania forests :shame: