PDA

View Full Version : Read Only Config

ArtistofWarfare
07-11-2008, 05:09
My thread regarding unlimited men on the battlefield has reached resolution so I thought this would go into a new thread (and it's not a "problem", simply a question. Further, I wrote down instructions in that other thread as to how I resolved the issue of not being able to save the config file using Vista so that anyone else who comes across the thread in future searches, doesn't just see it end with "got it working, thanks!!!"...as I did).

After I was able to edit and save this file finally, I went and re-checked the "Read Only" box for the file to make sure it was ON. It is read only now.

However, I now see that when I exit the game and re-enter it, options are no longer saved...they revert back to whatever was in the config file at time of save/marked read only.

Is this just how things go? If I want to retain edits to the config file, it HAS to be read only?

I'm really not sure how this works and this is the last step in my 4 month M2TW setup.

Help on this would be appreciated. I've been ready to dig into the game full blast for days- just trying to clear these things up so I don't have to revisit them later.

edit- also, I have unlimited_men_on_battlefield set to 1 instead of 0 now. This should obviously allow all units set to do battle in a campaign, to enter the field of battle and not be stemmed into reinforcements. However, if I try to set up a custom battle with 4000+ men, it gives me the little "blah blah hardware not enough" ridiculous message again. Is this uneffected by changing that command line? As in, it only applies to campaign?

I would just like some way to confirm that my edit to the preferences is truly being applied...so I tried a custom battle first and that's what I came up with...thanks.

edit- Let me clarify the entire thing: things like no campaign battle limit and manage all cities. Even though these are OFF in the config and I have it marked as read only now, will my campaigns continue to apply these if I select them when I start the campaign. My concern is starting a campaign, and after the first time I restart the program and load it, I'm seeing things I don't want to in the campaign over and over. With all of the modifications done here, I'm sure people have run across this...Please, just a little confirmation on this.

Well looks like I'll be figuring this one out myself as well. I will post what the results are after I've spent more time testing things out, so that at least one other person won't have to in the future. Kind of shocked there's so little information on this, as virtually every other person who visits .org has modified there's.

FactionHeir
07-11-2008, 11:24
Must be read-only for it to apply for longer than 1 session.
Best way to test if your cfg is being read is to change the resolution or make it windowed.

ArtistofWarfare
07-11-2008, 12:28
Faction, I understand that part...

As I'm detailing though, if I start a campaign and settings such as "no campaign battle time limit" and "manage all settlements" are "OFF" in my config (yes, it's read only config) , will they still apply to that campaign all the time if when I start the campaign- I select these options as on.

What I'm asking is if config settings are over ridden by in game campaign settings and if using read only or not on the file has any bearing on this.

As you've said- it requires read only to apply the changes for more than one session. However, that brings up this question...

It's detailed in the previous post.

Thanks

FactionHeir
07-11-2008, 12:48
Settings that you cannot normally set in the game options are overwritten by the game after starting (but still in effect for the current session)

ArtistofWarfare
07-11-2008, 22:53
Settings that you cannot normally set in the game options are overwritten by the game after starting (but still in effect for the current session)

Faction , you know I appreciate you trying to help but...again, this is simply not answering the question. I hate to be a wet blanket, but it's just not ...

I feel silly restating the question as it's in this thread several times already. If someone would understand the question, perhaps it would be seen as a good one.

You're all editing your config- and we acknowledge that certain settings are overwritten by the config. You have campaign settings that could then be overwritten each and every time you load up the campaign. This is what I'm asking about.

Again- shocked that nobody has thought of that prior considering how many are editing the config.

I'm just ...getting tired of the complexities of all of this, because there is just no reason for it. If thousands of other games exist and do not require it- total war shouldn't. I'm working on this as we speak but if someone has an answer (someone does...you're not all ignorantly editing files with zero knowledge of the question posed here) please- I'm all ears. Something tells me that again though, the resolution will be brought in an update by myself to this post in a few hours.

FactionHeir
07-11-2008, 23:21
I believe that if you take my last 2 posts together, they actually do answer the question. If you do not believe that to be the case, can you state your question clearly in one or two sentences and mark clearly which part is a question and which part is a musing?

ArtistofWarfare
07-11-2008, 23:29
I believe that if you take my last 2 posts together, they actually do answer the question. If you do not believe that to be the case, can you state your question clearly in one or two sentences and mark clearly which part is a question and which part is a musing?

As clear as can possibly be:

There are command lines in the config for settings such as "no campaign battle time limit" and "manage all settlements" ...among others that would specifically effect a campaign.

Now- In my config, by default, these settings are at "0" ...or OFF. However, when I start my campaign, I intend on ticking these options as "ON" IN GAME.

This raises the question- If my config file is read only @ that point in time (as it needs to be in order to apply unlimited men on the battlefield = 1) ...will these settings (specifically, manage all settlements and no campaign battle time limit) be overwritten by the config each and every time I load the program/campaign up?

If I select them as on in game when I start the campaign will they be overwritten by the config file (marked as read only) having them listed as OFF.

It's a technical question...but it definitely comes up once someone has edited their config.

And I'm sorry if I'm being rude Faction- this has just really, really tested my patience over time. This is the last step...and I'm trying to be very clear and concise about this specific question.

Thanks

edit- again maybe this helps: What I'm trying to avoid is entering campaigns, and then day 2 when I restart the program and load my campaign, finding settings (that cannot be changed once you start a campaign) not being as what I set them to, because the config is bypassing the in game settings. The two specific settings I'm asking about cannot be altered in your campaign, once you've started the campaign...and this is what raises the concern. Even though I can't change them, the config might and then I'm left with a campaign that is under settings I did not choose.

Ok as said, I guess I'll be figuring this one out and posting the results later.

FactionHeir
07-11-2008, 23:55
There are command lines in the config for settings such as "no campaign battle time limit" and "manage all settlements" ...among others that would specifically effect a campaign.

Now- In my config, by default, these settings are at "0" ...or OFF. However, when I start my campaign, I intend on ticking these options as "ON" IN GAME.

This raises the question- If my config file is read only @ that point in time (as it needs to be in order to apply unlimited men on the battlefield = 1) ...will these settings (specifically, manage all settlements and no campaign battle time limit) be overwritten by the config each and every time I load the program/campaign up?

If I select them as on in game when I start the campaign will they be overwritten by the config file (marked as read only) having them listed as OFF.

Manage all settlements and no campaign battle time limit are selectable in game, so they take the values you had when you started your campaign, regardless of what your config says.

Unlimited men is not selectable in game and is a config only option. Your campaign takes the value that is in the config, regardless if it is marked read only or not. Note that if you start the game with it on 1 and then exit and start the game again without doing anything in between, you won't have unlimited men because the game resets that part of the config unless it is read only.

ArtistofWarfare
07-12-2008, 00:01
Manage all settlements and no campaign battle time limit are selectable in game, so they take the values you had when you started your campaign, regardless of what your config says.

Unlimited men is not selectable in game and is a config only option. Your campaign takes the value that is in the config, regardless if it is marked read only or not. Note that if you start the game with it on 1 and then exit and start the game again without doing anything in between, you won't have unlimited men because the game resets that part of the config unless it is read only.

Ok- and thank you very much...

As said, I do see questions like this raised on various sites, they just never reach the point of resolution that these threads have.

Once again, appreciated. And I'm willing to bet money that at some point in the future this information will come in handy for someone else as well.

I can finally go set up the campaign with an understanding of these settings and a confidence that I'm configuring them properly. Thanks.