PDA

View Full Version : Ptolemaios Aiakides?

Olimpian
07-16-2008, 08:36
Wasn't he Pyrrhus' grandson?(Wikipedia). Why is he portaryed, in the game, as his son? Just curious...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
07-16-2008, 08:47
I know practically nothing about the family line of Pyrrhos, but my first reaction would be to say that it is Wikipedia that has it wrong, given the two contradicting sources. Still, we'll have to wait for the experts responce.

Thaatu
07-16-2008, 11:20
A fierce battle raged where Ptolemy was, and while a band of picked Spartans under the command of Evalcus engaged the soldiers who were fighting in front of him, a man of stout arm and swift foot, Oryssus by name, of Aptera in Crete, ran up on one side of the prince as he was fighting spiritedly, smote him, and laid him low. 5 Upon Ptolemy's fall and the rout of his company, the Spartans pursued, carrying all before them, and before they were aware of it had dashed out into the plain and were cut off by the infantry of Pyrrhus. Against this band of Spartans Pyrrhus, who had just heard of the death of his son and was in anguish, turned his Molossian horsemen.
The above is from Plutarch's Life of Pyrrhus found online here (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Plutarch/Lives/Pyrrhus*.html). Not sure who the translator is. Still, Plutarch might have gotten it wrong. Don't know if there are some other sources which tell it differently.

Olimpian
07-16-2008, 18:18
I'm curious if the EB team member that was in charge of the Epeirotes could enlighten me about the family tree of Pyrrhus,if he is around that is...

Teleklos Archelaou
07-16-2008, 19:01
Plutarch says in that very link:
"And now, in honour of Berenicé and Ptolemy, he gave the name of Ptolemy to his infant son by Antigone"

"By Antigone he had a son Ptolemy, Alexander by Lanassa, and Helenus, his youngest son, by Bircenna."

"Pyrrhus himself, then, with his men-at‑arms, tried to force his way directly against the many shields of the Spartans which confronted him, and over a trench which was impassable and afforded his soldiers no firm footing owing to the freshly turned earth. But his son Ptolemy, with two thousand Gauls and picked Chaonians, went round the trench and tried to force a passage where the waggons were."

Etc., etc.

ezekiel2517
07-16-2008, 21:05
it would not the first time wikipedia is wrong (nor the last). They still don't show how Horus was crucified and that's one of the many mistakes i remember.

Olimpian
07-16-2008, 21:21
Plutarch says in that very link:
"And now, in honour of Berenicé and Ptolemy, he gave the name of Ptolemy to his infant son by Antigone"

"By Antigone he had a son Ptolemy, Alexander by Lanassa, and Helenus, his youngest son, by Bircenna."

"Pyrrhus himself, then, with his men-at‑arms, tried to force his way directly against the many shields of the Spartans which confronted him, and over a trench which was impassable and afforded his soldiers no firm footing owing to the freshly turned earth. But his son Ptolemy, with two thousand Gauls and picked Chaonians, went round the trench and tried to force a passage where the waggons were."

Etc., etc.

Yes, I saw that. Most certainly Wikipedia has it wrong (not a very reliable source, I know). I am just curious to know if there are any other sources about the Epeirote rulers, especially after Pyrrhus.

EDIT:To put it more clearly, I would like to read about the reigns of those who fallowed Pyrrhus in front of the Epeirote League(or Kingdom?), beacuse it seems that the little info Wiki has to offer is different from what Plutarch says.

Jolt
07-16-2008, 22:55
Yes, I saw that. Most certainly Wikipedia has it wrong (not a very reliable source, I know). I am just curious to know if there are any other sources about the Epeirote rulers, especially after Pyrrhus.

EDIT:To put it more clearly, I would like to read about the reigns of those who fallowed Pyrrhus in front of the Epeirote League(or Kingdom?), beacuse it seems that the little info Wiki has to offer is different from what Plutarch says.

Who cares? Just some random guy sitting in the town until it was conquered by the Brutii..