PDA

View Full Version : Naval Cinematics

Vuk
07-17-2008, 22:31
Am I the only one who does not like the idea of cinematics constantly taking your control away in naval battles? I got no prob with them as long as they are optional, but otherwise that would really stink. Please vote whether or not you like the idea of manditory cinematics in naval battles.

Geoffrey S
07-17-2008, 22:59
Wouldn't mind. Shots of walls and gates being breached were quite useful - I'd imagine similar shots being used to show a ship that perhaps has lost its mobility.

Vuk
07-18-2008, 02:51
Wouldn't mind. Shots of walls and gates being breached were quite useful - I'd imagine similar shots being used to show a ship that perhaps has lost its mobility.

That is why I said manditory. If they were optional you would still be able to view them, but I would not have to. I hate them in M2TW also.

Martok
07-18-2008, 04:08
I think I'd first have to see how annoying/intrusive they'd be before I could make any judgment on them. I don't remember finding them overly annoying in Rome or Medieval 2, but of course it's also been a long while since I played either game, so it's hard to say how apt a comparison they are.

pevergreen
07-18-2008, 05:34
Only if optional. They most likely wont be though.

rajpoot
07-18-2008, 08:39
The cinematic sequences are hardly over 2-3 seconds. Not much of a problem in land battles, can't say what they'll be like in naval battles, but hopefully no trouble.

Vuk
07-18-2008, 18:02
I remember crucial points in battles where my cavalry had their backs to an incoming heavy unit, and I went to make them charge and a stupid cinematic came on and they got owned. And when my men are taking fire outside a gate and I want them to charge in cause the enemy is sallying just as the gates are battered in, but I cannot, cause of the stupid cinematic. And after that E3 event, it sounds as if there will be a lot more of them. I have nothing against them, as long as they let me turn the stupid things off. :P

Geoffrey S
07-18-2008, 21:18
Wasn't a very quick change to the preferences file the solution previously?

Vuk
07-18-2008, 21:42
If it is that simple why not make a quick toggle button? Most people do not want to/do not know how to edit the game files.

Martok
07-19-2008, 03:18
If it is that simple why not make a quick toggle button? Most people do not want to/do not know how to edit the game files.
Good point. As long they could be toggled on/off, it wouldn't be a problem either way.

Sheogorath
07-21-2008, 03:44
They're useful sometimes...other times, they're annoying. Like when you've got JUST the perfect moment for a flanking attack, only to be yanked out of a battle, and, once given control again, the computer's blocked the gap. Its pretty rare, but it happens.

I say do some kind of picture-in-picture notification. A little screen that pops up in a corner of the screen showing the cinematic. That or make it optional. Or both.

Caerfanan
07-30-2008, 12:15
I voted "gah!". I do remember cinematics being annoying in crucial moments (and pressing pauses stops the cinematic also, which is logical), and it probably costed me a few soldiers from time to time. But they're nice.
Of course I'm all for a setting which would able/disable them. As I don't mind not having it, but I don't mind having it.

To sum it up: Vuk, go for the toggle button! :2thumbsup:

Caius
07-30-2008, 20:02
It would be a good idea to have the option to skip if those cinematics sucks.

anders
07-31-2008, 15:19
should be optional, its kind of irritating when you miss an opportunity to charge or pull you king away from certain death just because some captain has fallen.

on the other hand, the cinematics adds niely to the sense of occasion when said king dies.

The_Reckoning
07-31-2008, 17:10
I'd vastly prefer if they used picture in picture. That is, it pops up in a window in the corner, without taking away your control.

And even then I'd want it optional. But with PiP I might actually keep it switched on.

hoom
08-02-2008, 05:54
I voted Gah!
I keep them on in RTW but do find them quite annoying at times.
I'd hate to miss a vital raking shot down the stern of an enemy flagship just to see the captain of a gunboat getting killed.

Perhaps whats needed is a 'skip' button so we can opt out of a cinematic when its a critical period of the battle :idea2: