PDA

View Full Version : Minor installation question

QuintusSertorius
07-19-2008, 15:33
I've got RTW patched up to 1.5 in the proper manner, but I've also got BI installed (White Label edition, which is at 1.6) to play another mod.

Question here is, to play EB under 1.5 as usual, am I safe enough installing it as is, or would I be much safer uninstalling BI and RTW and starting clean? Will installing BI have put any 1.6 stuff into my 1.5 install?

This is curious, I just ran RTW, and it says it's version 1.3. Did installing BI remove the 1.5 patch?

MerlinusCDXX
07-19-2008, 23:49
AFAIK 1.6 only applies to the BI-exe, so if you want to play with RTW-exe, only the 1.5 changes should apply. I play on RTW-exe and have BI patched to 1.6 and I don't seem to have any problems.

Havok.
07-19-2008, 23:59
Question here is, to play EB under 1.5 as usual, am I safe enough installing it as is, or would I be much safer uninstalling BI and RTW and starting clean? Will installing BI have put any 1.6 stuff into my 1.5 install?
This is curious, I just ran RTW, and it says it's version 1.3. Did installing BI remove the 1.5 patch?

Try installing a separate 1.5 patch for the rome.exe, i'm sure it will work
rtw patch 1.5 (http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/rometotalwar/patch/2698.html)

MerlinusCDXX
07-20-2008, 00:03

From what I've read, that's not necessary. The way it was explained to me is that installing BI patches the RTW-exe to 1.5, and the BI patch (1.6) doesn't affect RTW-exe at all. :2cents:

Havok.
07-20-2008, 00:05
From what I've read, that's not necessary. The way it was explained to me is that installing BI patches the RTW-exe to 1.5, and the BI patch (1.6) doesn't affect RTW-exe at all. :2cents:

not sure if i understood what you meant but
that patch is for rtw-exe not bi.exe

QuintusSertorius
07-20-2008, 00:18

I've already installed it. That's the point of the last bit, I installed the 1.5 patch prior to installing BI, yet when I ran RTW, it said it was 1.3.

Havok.
07-20-2008, 00:22
I've already installed it. That's the point of the last bit, I installed the 1.5 patch prior to installing BI, yet when I ran RTW, it said it was 1.3.

The rtw you're using.....is it original?

QuintusSertorius
07-20-2008, 00:24
The rtw you're using.....is it original?

The discs I installed it from (three of them) are 1.0. I installed the 1.3 and 1.5 patches prior to installing BI (which is already at 1.6).

When I ran RTW just to check, it said it was "ver 1.3". I just ran the 1.5 patch again, which didn't bounce me as though it was already in place.

Could installing BI have removed the 1.5 patch?

Havok.
07-20-2008, 00:32
The discs I installed it from (three of them) are 1.0. I installed the 1.3 and 1.5 patches prior to installing BI (which is already at 1.6).

When I ran RTW just to check, it said it was "ver 1.3". I just ran the 1.5 patch again, which didn't bounce me as though it was already in place.

Could installing BI have removed the 1.5 patch?

I dont think installing BI would have removed the 1.5 patch, i've seen similar issues with pirates rtw.....i can pm you with the solution if you're using a pirate one

QuintusSertorius
07-20-2008, 08:59
It's not pirated, just old. Don't even know if it really isn't patched and it just doesn't actually display the correct version number.

bovi
07-20-2008, 09:01
Installing BI will make RTW version 1.3, yes. To use BI, you need to install RTW, install BI, then patch both up with 1.6.

QuintusSertorius
07-20-2008, 09:03
Installing BI will make RTW version 1.3, yes. To use BI, you need to install RTW, install BI, then patch both up with 1.6.

So what happens if you install 1.5 back onto your now-1.3 RTW?

My BI is already at 1.6 (it's the White Label edition). I want to use both BI 1.6 and RTW 1.5 out of the same directory/installation.

bovi
07-20-2008, 10:30
I thought the 1.6 BI included the 1.5 RTW. It's been years since I did that, and I keep full copies of all versions on my disk in case I need them. I don't know of the white-label version, I bought it when it first came out.

QuintusSertorius
07-20-2008, 22:09
For clarity, I just bought BI White Label. I already had a very old RTW 1.0 on three CDs that I always patch to 1.5.

QuintusSertorius
07-21-2008, 10:21
Right, putting the 1.5 patch back onto RTW doesn't seem to have messed up the mod running on BI 1.6, and I just ran RTW to check the version, and it says it's now back to 1.5.

Am I opening myself up to a world of bugs installing EB onto RTW with another mod running off BI in the same directory? Would I just be better off putting another installation of RTW on the machine and going from there?

Thing is I'm concerned I might get registry issues with multiple installations of RTW.

Senshi
07-21-2008, 10:24
No need to have multiple installations.

As long as your mods (and most proper mods do) work with modfolders, you are absolutely fine. EB itself does also run in a modfolder and thus can theoretically be simply deleted without harming anything else of RTW/BI if desired (but who would want to? ;)

QuintusSertorius
07-21-2008, 10:37
Modfolders as in they're all contained completely within their own directory inside the RTW folder?

Senshi
07-21-2008, 21:27
Exactly.:2thumbsup:

Some mods for BI (Like "The New Shadow") also put their modfolders inside a subfolder of the "BI"-folder (which, in fact, is nothing else than a modfolder itself ;) )

These mods each can be launched by simple use of the command line by adding -mod:MODNAME at the end of the target line.

E.G.
-mod:napoleonic for "Napoleonic Warfare Mod" or
-mod:bi\ci for "The New Shadow"
EB would work the same way (-mod:eb), but with TrivialScript (which everybody uses, I assume) things run even more easy ;)

||Lz3||
07-21-2008, 22:01
That's why I hate BI , it won't let me install it cause I already have RTW 1.5 :wall:

and I'm not going to reinstall EVERYTHING again...:shifty:

QuintusSertorius
07-21-2008, 23:13
BI "un-patched" my RTW down to 1.3, but re-patching it to 1.5 doesn't seem to have done any harm to anything. Both BI and RTW run fine (as well as the respective mods).