PDA

View Full Version : Historical Accuracy : Turchoise Romani?

brymht
07-22-2008, 16:09
How accurate was this? did legions frequently dress in turchoise; most specifically is the Re enlisted Veterans in EB. how common was this? In thought Red would be the norm in most cases.

QuintusSertorius
07-22-2008, 16:16
Red is certainly a myth, though the "military cloak" tribunes and others wore was red.

I'd be certain they'd colour their tunics in whatever was most abundantly available in the local area.

brymht
07-22-2008, 16:34
Was Turchoise available everywhere? I mean, why Turchoise?

Reno Melitensis
07-22-2008, 19:14
Popular opinion among historians is that the commonest clothes where white to off white, so legionaries where supplied with this cheap clothes by the state, no dye. And it is this way that I paint my miniature legionaries.

Cheers.

brymht
07-22-2008, 19:53
Why did the EB Team and many other mods choose to make many of their mini men this odd shade of blue/green?

blitzkrieg80
07-23-2008, 04:28
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple (see royal blue or hyacinth purple)

this is not an official EB member explanation... English in this instance, also does not convey the true meaning

http://books.google.com/books?id=q0J78geiNrYC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=hyacinth+purple+romans+uniform&source=web&ots=a8mhOf730e&sig=K20rPgSk6_pE4B5k0uIHakLmOaU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA12,M1
or
http://books.google.com/books?id=hs-9HMsVqM0C&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=blue+roman+uniform&source=web&ots=f_kylMsckx&sig=NI_kpujdDlAzHLKx5G-0Y3NS7ok&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

meh?

abou
07-23-2008, 08:25
Why did the EB Team and many other mods choose to make many of their mini men this odd shade of blue/green?You're thinking too hard. It is just an expediency to make the units distinguishable from each other - and one within the limits of historically available dyes for the right price.

Celtic_Punk
07-24-2008, 15:40
I agree abou, thats probably the most plausible reason for their colouration, i routinely find it hard to discern the lines in battle, i use the map on closest zoom to see a rough frontline and see how things are being pushed... (i dont use the green arrows or the big flashy standard thing)

QuintusSertorius
07-24-2008, 16:05
You're thinking too hard. It is just an expediency to make the units distinguishable from each other - and one within the limits of historically available dyes for the right price.

Even if historically everyone was fighting in near-identical off-white cloth, at the least they'd have shield decoration to distinguish units.

It's vitally important for both sides to be able to tell friend from foe.

Tollheit
07-26-2008, 17:29
Tyrian purple was not the only source for reddish colours in antiquity, rubia (madder) and carmine were known and used.

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
07-26-2008, 17:56
Even if historically everyone was fighting in near-identical off-white cloth, at the least they'd have shield decoration to distinguish units.

It's vitally important for both sides to be able to tell friend from foe.

Which doesn't mean it was possible, the evidence is that the first time the Romans used uniform shield designs was during the Social War, but even then it is unlikely that standardisation was complete until the Principate.